Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

According to Ron after practice today, sweat was excused for personal reasons, expects him back tomorrow. 

That's a good answer.  Picky point, you can't really "excuse" somebody from a voluntary workout.  But whatever.  

Though, Ron might be covering for him, and he might be in Tahiti with his girlfriend sipping mai tai's and having Sex on the Beach and we'd never know because the media is not allowed back tomorrow.  (Note, I have no idea if Montez is dating anybody or is married. Or likes Mai Tais or Sex on the Beach.)

In the end, it doesn't matter until they play the games and he plays well.

But I my guess is he's back tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Chase young, he’s rehabbing in Colorado and will be back at the facility “eventually”. I’ll have to listen to the full press conference but that’s what local media said on tweets that I saw 

I got Florida and Colorado wrong in my post above.  As long as they are in contact and everybody knows what's going on, that seems fine.  Job 1 is getting Chase back to health physically so he can be ready for whenever he returns.  He should basically know the defense at this point, and as long as he's able to do something in training camp, assuming he's targeting the beginning of the year, he should be fine.  I believe Ron has spoken highly of how he is rehabbing before.  And he was here for the beginning of workouts.

I think this is a nothing burger, or possibly the right thing to do.  

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did too.  Was bored so listened to the whole thing but yeah Doc is funny in small doses but he can't carry anything long because he's so repetitive but I'll give him that he owns up to that

Yeah, there's only so far you can take, "I don't care about anything until we play Jacksonville."

- What do you think about ....

- "I don't care until we play Jacksonville?"

- Do you think Jamin D..

- It's not his fault they played him out of position. You picked him. (this is one of his favorite lines)  I don't care until we play Jacksonville."

- Carson Wentz has...

- He's got to play well, but we won't know until we play Jacksonville.  All I care about is beating Jacksonville.

- They play 4-3 ...

- I don't care WHAT they do until they play Jacksonville.  Btw, David Mayo would play on my team because all I care about is beating Jacksonville.

I will say, he has kindof gave up the recycled nickname schtick, thank God. For a while there, he tried to be the local Chris Berman and gave players nicknames, and then would only refer to them as the nickname.  Except unlike Berman (in his prime), he basically just called them by their college mascot (The Bruin or The Spartan)  or "the caveman."  I think three different players were "the caveman."  He was never smart enough, witty enough or quick enough to really pull it off.  Berman was a master of it back in the early 90's.  Players knew they made it when Berman had a "schtick" for them on NFL Prime-Time.  I still remember "And Kitna Kaboodles one!"  which really made no sense, but was really funny.  I miss peak Berman.  Sadly, he became a caricature of himself also through the years and lost his fastball.  But the early NFL Prime Time was absolutely must-watch TV.  Early Stewart Scott (RIP) on there also.  

It's mind-numbing.  He was "entertainment."  And I get why the other beat reporters like talking to him.  He's like that outspoken crazy old great uncle who likes to talk about walking to school in the snow without shoes, while carrying all his books and his younger sister who had no legs, up hill BOTH WAYS and this namby-pamby generation (and for him, several namby-pamby generations) are not tough enough and if you're tough you win and get off my lawn and just win dammit.  I mean, I'm sure it's a fun conversation to have.  

But it's completely pointless except for entertainment, and about 4 minutes of it is about all the entertainment I can handle.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really do hope Terry doesn't get offended they took a WR in the first round.  I kindof think he won't because I kindof think he's smart enough to know with him, Samuel and Dotson + Wentz, that's good for all of them.  Teams won't be able to double him, and he's still the primary read on a lot of plays.  

I think it's all about creating leverage.  I do hope he doesn't get his nickers in a twist though, because that would be a very unfortunate development.  

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Commanders didn't enter the 2022 draft with a need for another top running back. Rather, they had a desire. They wanted another style to complement starter Antonio Gibson. They wanted more insurance and they wanted another way to win games.

So they dipped into a familiar past, sort of.

In 2008, the Carolina Panthers did not have a need for another running back. But two years after picking DeAngelo Williams in the first round, they selected Jonathan Stewart with the 13th overall pick. Carolina's general manager at the time, Marty Hurney, is the Commanders' executive vice president of player personnel.

Williams and Stewart were productive for the Panthers, one of seven duos in NFL history to each rush for more than 1,000 yards in the same season (2009).

Now Washington is hoping third-round running back Brian Robinson Jr. provides a similar boost. He doesn't need to surpass 1,000 yards to help. He just needs to add a little more power and short-yardage success -- and help keep Gibson fresher over 17 games.

Gibson isn't worried about why the team drafted Robinson.

"That's coach's decision, it's not up to me," he said. "They felt they needed help in the running back room and we'll compete and do what's best for our team."

Washington also has veteran third-down back J.D. McKissic, who has 123 receptions over the past two seasons. That's why Rivera said he feels "damn good" about his backfield.

"We have a trifecta of guys you feel real good about in terms of mixing it up," he said.

Gibson's improvement

After playing receiver in college, Gibson (6-foot-2, 220 pounds) has steadily progressed as a running back, rushing for 1,037 yards last season -- sixth most in the NFL. The 2020 third-round pick showed more patience as last season unfolded, setting up blockers better and knowing when to cut up or bounce wide. It culminated in a 146-yard game in the season finale against the New York Giants.

And he has spent this offseason trying to enhance his game. He trained with Kerry Bennett at his facility in Katy, Texas, where Gibson focused on ball security, staying low through the hole and nutrition.

Gibson fumbled six times and lost four last season after fumbling twice as a rookie. A painful shin injury likely contributed to the issue -- he said last season that he had a stress fracture that hurt almost every time he was hit.

To address his fumbling, Gibson ran plays with Bennett carrying a three-pound ball (about two pounds heavier than a regulation ball). With the added weight, Gibson could better feel when the ball wasn't tight against his body. Bennett also challenged Gibson by placing a series of five-foot hurdles made of PVC pipes that he had to run under while cutting.

"He's not as compact [at 6-2], so we focused on making him not such a big target," Bennett said.

Off the field, they worked with a chef to lower Gibson's body fat from 18% to 12%.

"Slimming down, muscling up," Gibson said. "Just to get some of my speed back. I wanted to get quicker. I feel looser in the hips. I feel explosive."

For good measure, Gibson worked on his route running in case his role in the passing game expands. He had 42 catches last season.

Double Trouble sequel?

Robinson (6-1, 225), who showed at Alabama that he could catch and pass protect, could be an ideal sidekick for Gibson. And the rookie knows why Washington drafted him.

"I choose to be physical, wear defenses down," he said. "I can be elusive. ... But more than anything I try to be downhill and put my size and my force on."

If he's able to do that, Washington could re-create the Panthers' Williams-Stewart pairing. Their glory days occurred before Rivera arrived as Carolina's coach in 2011 -- they earned the nickname Double Trouble in 2008 when they combined for 2,519 yards from scrimmage and 30 touchdowns -- but he still felt the impact. Williams rushed for 836 yards and Stewart 761 in their first season with Rivera.

"It was one of the most unselfish things I've ever seen," Rivera said. "If one guy was rolling they'd say go ahead and keep it going. They were so supportive."

Though Williams was gone by the time Carolina reached the Super Bowl in 2015, Stewart wasn't. He rushed for 989 yards that season.

The NFL has changed since then. In 2008, 16 players rushed for more than 1,000 yards -- nine more than this past season, even with teams playing a 17th game. Only two backs carried the ball 300 times or more last season compared to five in 2008. It's not as if teams run the ball a lot less -- last year teams averaged only one fewer carry per game compared to that season. But more teams are using multiple backs to split the workload and incorporate more sub packages.

That's why Washington wanted Robinson. And it's why Gibson's touches should remain high (he ranked fourth in the NFL with 300 last season), though his usage could vary weekly.

Rivera said the Commanders can now match what they need with the style of back they have.

"If the game's going to get physical and you have to really grind it out, you want to mix in with somebody else," Rivera said. "They may not get 20 carries, but just to change up the physicality.

"Then you've got a little bit of a slasher with Antonio's style. ... I've been fortunate that I've had a couple of combinations of really good running backs. Then you throw J.D. into the mix and you're really going to get a change up."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really do hope Terry doesn't get offended they took a WR in the first round.  I kindof think he won't because I kindof think he's smart enough to know with him, Samuel and Dotson + Wentz, that's good for all of them.  Teams won't be able to double him, and he's still the primary read on a lot of plays.  

I think it's all about creating leverage.  I do hope he doesn't get his nickers in a twist though, because that would be a very unfortunate development.  

Yeah I don't think he will either. 

However, from a financial perspective we have essentially just paid Dotson 9mil in cash as part of his fully guaranteed 15mil deal.

No chance Terry plays a down anytime soon without a pay day.

• Like 2

Joel Corry, ex-agent, cap expert on 106.7. 

A.  He is one of the rare national media guys who actually seems to like Wentz.  He likes the get for this team aside from them swallowing Wentz's full cap hit, he doesn't get why they had to do that, he believes they could have successfully pushed back on the Colts swallowing some of that cap hit. 

B.  He does think the Rams-Saints approach of punting on the cap isn't fool proof, you do pay a price eventually for it, but gets that they think they have a short window to go for it now. 

C.  He talked about some owners being more liquid with cash and that giving them more freedom on some deals.  

D.  Said this team's cash allotment for this season is below average.   He didn't explain what cash allotment meant, but the way he talked about it, I gather its current salary owed right now?  He explained when you do big contracts, the signing bonuses have to be paid out right away even though its spread year to year as to the cap allocation.  Guaranteed money for the full contract is held in escrow, etc.

E.  He thinks this team's hesitation to punt on the cap could be strongly driven by all the young players coming up on contract down the road.

F.  He thinks Wentz's contract is favorable to them if he ends up the guy

G.  He thinks the cap goes up in 2023 but nothing crazy but thinks the cap starts to soar in 2024 when the new TV contracts kick in.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.02.52 PM.png

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D.  Said this team's cash allotment for this season is below average.   He didn't explain what cash allotment meant, but the way he talked about it, I gather its current salary owed right now?  He explained when you do big contracts, the signing bonuses have to be paid out right away even though its spread year to year as to the cap allocation.  Guaranteed money for the full contract is held in escrow, etc.

Pretty sure the CBA has parameters on actual cash spend as well as having the salary cap. Something like you need to have spent a minimum of ‘x’ in actual cash outlay over a 3 year rolling period, which of course is different to the salary cap.

Edited by Est.1974

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Pretty sure the CBA has parameters on actual cash spend as well as having the salary cap. Something like you need to have spent a minimum of ‘x’ in actual cash outlay over a 3 year rolling period, which of course is different to the salary cap.

Sounds familar.  If I recall there is a minimum some teams must spend where some teams in the past lived dangerously close to the minimum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Joel Corry, ex-agent, cap expert on 106.7. 

A.  He is one of the rare national media guys who actually seems to like Wentz.  He likes the get for this team aside from them swallowing Wentz's full cap hit, he doesn't get why they had to do that, he believes they could have successfully pushed back on the Colts swallowing some of that cap hit. 

That absolutely checks. We were in panic mode and admitted that we didn’t want that to hold things up and have another team swoop in so we didn’t even ask. I’m sure given how much Irsay apparently hated him that we could have shaved off several million, maybe more. Is what it is. Doesn’t seem like we needed to be so swift with it but had we balked and another team got him and we ended up with no one again it would have been that much worse. 

• Like 1

Another important nugget I picked up on in this interview is when he is asked about Terry and the contract situation/being on the field with him, he says "Everything is gonna be right when he comes back". Can't even lie, it put a smile on my face :)

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep, there is now a floor.  Cap can be thought of as a sort of accounting fiction as it could include things like part of a bonus paid out last year.  The floor is simply cash given out the current year. It was mostly pushed to help the below average (money-wise) majority and put a damper on the huge signing bonuses in favor of roster bonuses and guaranteed future monies.

• Thumb up 1

There is no way that he knows if they could have pushed back on the full cap hit or not.  Probably exactly 2 people talked about it initially (Ballard and Ron), and now probably a grand total of 7 know exactly what happened at this point: Ballard, Ron, Irsay, Dan, Martin, Marty, Rob Rodgers. Maybe Reich, but I doubt he cares, and he might not know.  Marty only because I believe Ron relies on him for advice and would have talked to him, Dan because I'm sure he asked (and should have, for that matter).

I still think there were a couple of teams involved, and Ron just asked, "what's it going to take" Ballard gave him the criteria, and Ron took it on the spot.  I think he would have felt if he tried to negotiate it, Ballard could have played the offer to somebody else, and he didn't want to deal with it.  He wanted an answer and he took the deal that was offered.(PS: I think you've posted almost exactly the same thing, and I might have even stolen this line of thinking from you, and if so, I will not give you any credit for it but will take it as my own original idea.  :P

But regardless, there is no way Joel Corry knows if Ron could have pushed back or not.  He wasn't in the room, and I'm sure he has no inside information on it.  It's his educated guess, but that's all it is.  

If I understand cash allotment, it means the amount of cash the team is set to spend in the given year to players.  There are some rules in the CBA around it, I believe, which somehow correspond to the cap floor.  

Cash allotment is more bumpy than the salary cap.  For example, if you've just signed Aaron Rodgers to a $200M deal with a huge signing bonus, your cash allotment this year will be higher than next year. 

I really didn't know the escrow thing until this year.  It makes sense, though I think it's archaic.  I think it is residual from the time when NFL teams are not flush with cash. I don't remember who wrote it, whether it was media or a poster, but that is something which should be taken out of the next CBA.  Mostly because there is no longer a need for it and the benefit to the players is teams would be more willing to guarantee more future years is they didn't have to put it in escrow now.  It's kindof a win-win thing which I wouldn't think would be contentious.  

E.  He thinks this team's hesitation to punt on the cap could be strongly driven by all the young players coming up on contract down the road.

I think he's right, for whatever reason.  Though all eyes are now on Terry. If they don't get this one done in the next few weeks, then it's fair to assume this is bull****.

F.  He thinks Wentz's contract is favorable to them if he ends up the guy

I think if Wentz has a pro-bowl type year this year, they're going to have to give him an extension, up the AAV and guarantee some more money. That actually would be somewhat helpful because they could defer some of the cap hit to when the cap really rises. I think he would want it, and I think the team would want it.  Again, win-win.  

That is actually the best case scenario.  

The worst case scenario is he is "meh" and they don't know what to do, so they run it back again next year.

A not great scenario is he totally stinks and they cut him.  At the end of the day, they're out a couple of mid-round picks, but should have a couple high picks in next year's draft, and no salary cap hit to get rid of him.  Though, you'd have to question Ron and company picking the next QB at that point.  But I still see this as less of an evil than him being totally mediocre and not really knowing what to do.  

• Thumb up 1

58 minutes ago, moondog said:

That absolutely checks. We were in panic mode and admitted that we didn’t want that to hold things up and have another team swoop in so we didn’t even ask. I’m sure given how much Irsay apparently hated him that we could have shaved off several million, maybe more. Is what it is. Doesn’t seem like we needed to be so swift with it but had we balked and another team got him and we ended up with no one again it would have been that much worse. 

Maybe.  But what if Ron asked to split the cap and Ballard says, "let me get back to you, I'm going to call the Panthers and Seahawks?"  

And that Dan-Wanna-Be down in Carolina just says, "he's better than Darnold.  Ok, anything you want."  Like Ron did? Then we are in the "don't even have Wentz" mode, probably reached for Pickett or Willis, and are staring down the prospect of TH starting the season at QB.  

Remember, Rossini and Keim both have confirmed other teams were interested.  (Even though Sheehan likes to pretend otherwise. And I think both reported it on HIS radio show.)

I'll take an extra $10M of salary cap space over that scenario playing out.  

And yeah, we were desperate because we were staring down having to draft a QB nobody loved, trying to sign a FA QB nobody wanted, or starting TH who is a good backup but not a starter.

That situation makes you desperate.  If you're desperate, you're desperate.  If you haven't eaten for 3 days, you're desperate for food. Being desperate isn't a crime.  It's just a state of being. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's simple: if Terry plays on his deal this year, he makes ~$2.7M cash this year.  If he sits out, he makes nothing, AND he is still under team control, so he's not going to do that.  

- Then next year, in all likelihood, the team franchises him, and he makes ~$20M in 2023.

- Then the next year, they tag him again, he gets a 20% bump, and makes $22M in 2024.  

- Then he hits free-agency.  He's made ~$45M in 3 years. Which, don't get me wrong, is not bad. He's also in his late 20's looking for his first big-money LTD.  That's not an ideal spot to be in.  

Terry's leverage is in three ways:

1. The team WANTS him to be on the team. Both because he's really good but also because he's a fan favorite and the personification of one of Ron's guys.

2. He can sit out, and the team does not want that in a year they need to win, having just made the Wentz trade

3. It's a VERY VERY bad look for the team not to get a deal done with one of it's most popular players.  

That's it.  That's his leverage. And he can thank the union for that.  I think the NFLPA really screwed the rookies.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but they have, and they really should fix it.  HOWEVER, players who are in college are not part of the union, so it makes sense the current players would screw the next generation to take more for themselves.  It's just short-sighted.  The owners probably don't care so much, because they have to compensate up to the revenue sharing agreement regardless.  They just want a way not to have to have rookie hold-outs, which is fair. But if the union flipped things around to give rookies more, eh, I don't think the owners would give a damn as long as the total revenue % didn't change.  Thus ends my rant against the NFLPA.  

Back to Terry, I still think it's going to get done.  Because everybody wants it to get done.  

But Terry sitting out is absolutely the right thing to do for him, because he has to try and manufacture some leverage. If it was just up to the team, honestly, possibly the best solution is to let him play on his current contract and tag him twice.  You have him basically through his prime, don't have to commit huge dollars, and then can find another WR instead of paying Terry $120M over 5 years.  

But literally nobody wants that.  And there is no way the Commanders are going to get value back in a trade.  So, it will get done.  

2023 ~20 mill, 2024 22 mill (this is 10%, so it'd be 24mill).  Total nitpick, because missing out on this year is still what he needs to address.  But if you're his acct I will happily put the remaining 2mill to good use :)

I will add that he does have the leverage from the threat of asking for a trade.  The team may not trade him, but I don't see this regime going the Trent Williams route.  It's not Terry's concern that they get value back.  He is looking to get this year right and will consider what it takes to get there.  As much as his leverage might be limited in some ways, I think his agent also knows this is a team bleeding fans and these fans won't likely give this team a pass if a demand comes out.  At minimum they should have that option on his checklist.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no way that he knows if they could have pushed back on the full cap hit or not.  Probably exactly 2 people talked about it initially (Ballard and Ron), and now probably a grand total of 7 know exactly what happened at this point: Ballard, Ron, Irsay, Dan, Martin, Marty, Rob Rodgers. Maybe Reich, but I doubt he cares, and he might not know.  Marty only because I believe Ron relies on him for advice and would have talked to him, Dan because I'm sure he asked (and should have, for that matter).

I still think there were a couple of teams involved, and Ron just asked, "what's it going to take" Ballard gave him the criteria, and Ron took it on the spot.  I think he would have felt if he tried to negotiate it, Ballard could have played the offer to somebody else, and he didn't want to deal with it.  He wanted an answer and he took the deal that was offered.(PS: I think you've posted almost exactly the same thing, and I might have even stolen this line of thinking from you, and if so, I will not give you any credit for it but will take it as my own original idea.  :P

But regardless, there is no way Joel Corry knows if Ron could have pushed back or not.  He wasn't in the room, and I'm sure he has no inside information on it.  It's his educated guess, but that's all it is.  

Sure anytime someone offers an opinion about a deal its an opinion.  No way to know what was offered and how it went down. 

My gut is similar to yours on how the deal went down.  My guess is they were twice spurned once for Stafford and the other time for Wilson and Rivera wasn't going to be outbid for that next house so to speak.  He probably went to Ballard and said what would it take for you to accept the offer from us now, Ballard said what he did and Rivera accepted.

I think what hurts some perception wise as for them swallowing his full salary is the Mayfield situation where supposedly the stumbiling block is the Browns want a team to take on his salary and they are getting no bites at that apple.  Mayfield's salary has become a major plotline in their struggles to deal him.

Personally, my take is exactly like Joel Corry.  Wentz is a good player.  I do think they overpaid for him but overall its fine.  But if Wentz works out, it won't matter in the end which ironically is the same thing Rivera said this off season about what the Rams did with Stafford.

I really didn't know the escrow thing until this year.  It makes sense, though I think it's archaic.  I think it is residual from the time when NFL teams are not flush with cash. I don't remember who wrote it, whether it was media or a poster, but that is something which should be taken out of the next CBA.  Mostly because there is no longer a need for it and the benefit to the players is teams would be more willing to guarantee more future years is they didn't have to put it in escrow now.  It's kindof a win-win thing which I wouldn't think would be contentious.  

I recall back during the Kirk contract negotiation days, Bruce was famous for not giving more than 2 years worth of guaranteed contracts including offering Kirk no more than 2 years during those contract discussions.  I gather in part to thumb his nose at Kirk, Bruce gave Alex -- 3.5 seasons more or less of guaranteed money and as usual the last laugh was at Bruce's expense. But I saw recently during the Bruce era many of their big deals involving keeping their own (like Kerrigan and Trent) happened in the summer.  I doubt them not loving doing major guaranteed money in contracts and preferring to do their major extensions in the summer isn't some random coincidence. 

I've got some pushback here on the point as to Dan relatively speaking might not be swimming in liquidity especially in a year with a big loan on the books and likely needing to earmark stadium money.  So I don't think its a coincidence that the Terry deal looked to be headed to the summer considering Dan's previous deals and current context.  With FA obviously you need to make deals in the Spring to land your guy.  But with your own players, you can wait.    I used to think this is Ron's idea.  I now think this is a Dan driven cash flow thing.  Breer's comments about owners liking to hold on the cash into the summer to make interest on that money hit home with me -- coupled with what multiple NFL observers have as to when the owners get their cash infusions for the year.  

So I am betting its not that Ron is a moron and doesn't get that waiting for the price to go up and then negotiate isn't prudent.  I think this is how Dan likes to roll especially since there is some precedent for it.

I think he's right, for whatever reason.  Though all eyes are now on Terry. If they don't get this one done in the next few weeks, then it's fair to assume this is bull****.

I think its a balance between Ron genuinely not wanting to overspend on the cap and Dan being a bit more cash poor than usual considering his 875 million loan and needing to pay for the stadium.  My gut is Dan like Standig suspects does have Ron on a budget.  Not a draconian budget but a measured one. My guess is I think Rob probably would have been a little more aggressive if he wasn't constrained but not a lot more aggressive.  I'd guess they'd have signed another FA.  Again that's just a guess.

As for Terry, judging by beat guys there is almost no way they don't get a deal done.  Ron from the jump of the off season suggested it would be done after the draft.   Reporters from the jump thought it would happen before camp.  So nothing that has happened thus far is surprising.

Dan is stupid but i think he'd even get that you can't put Terry all over the rebranding promotional stuff and then cut him loose.  Terry is one of the best players this team has had under Dan.  

• Like 1

Payne doesn't like the idea of playing out his contract and hitting FA?  

I don't know what Payne is looking for but if the speculation is true that he wants Jonathan Allen money, no way i'd give in. 

• Thanks 1