Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

Vinny Cerrato was the master of creating cap room:  messing with the signing bonuses, turning non-guaranteed money in existing contracts to guaranteed, etc.  You can add a voidable year which basically helps stagger the contract where you pay a big price at the end of the contract but not so much initially.  Cerrato for example kept punting the Clinton Portis contract forward among others.

Basically what you are doing is credt carding your cap.  Sometimes it bites you if the cap doesn't rise they way you expected and sometimes it works.

But in short if they really want a player badly they can get him.  Thus far Rivera has played it somewhat conservative with the cap so not sure how much he's willing to push it but I guess we are about to find out. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

I don't think Sheriff is gonna get a big enough deal to net us a 3rd rounder

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Chase Edmonds would be a prime target for me this off-season. Would be a fun addition.

Quick! Speak something else into existence!

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 4

WR market gonna be weird again bc of the depth of the draft imo, remember last year the Curtis Samuel signing took longer than expected bc the big market never materialized for second tier WR talents. I think we could see that again. Many teams are willing to take one in the 2nd or 3rd and save the cap space 

Edit: and now Jarvis Landry is released into FA

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

If he is staring down Jax and Jets w/ Bengals out of the picture dude might come back for a pay cut lol

Yep It wouldn’t surprise me. Next few hours should be interesting as there are several very good RG options available for teams.

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm honestly not sure what route they are even going to remotely take yet.

They have to be looking at LB, FS, maybe CB, OL, RB, WR in FA. But we don't have the cap to make a bunch of moves in those spots.

I think receiver will be the first round pick for us unless Hamilton falls in our laps.

Going to be interesting. Lots of holes to fill. 

Yeah, there’s an element of needing quantity vs quality (obviously you try to find a balance though).

We know they’re looking at RB, FS and receiver since they’re working with McKissick/McCain/Sims (and are hoping Carter lowers his asking price as well), so I have to think we’ll land something at those spots pre-draft.  To your point, we’re light at corner and need a swing tackle (at minimum).  While they can fit in a higher priced FA or two by massaging the cap, I think we go for the same lower end types they’ve had success with.  I don’t mind this because 1) we won’t negate the comp pick for Scherff, and 2) I wouldn’t blame them wanting to see how things go with Wentz before moving their chips in.

Trading down from 11 would be helpful.  If we do, I’d guess Wr, corner, mlb or fs.  If we stay put at 11, seems there’s a small chance Hamilton or Gardner (or maybe Stingley) are there, otherwise I think you’re right that receiver is a good bet.  Not going to rule out ILB at 11, but I doubt it (and hope not).

29 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Extra picks? We are only missing one and that's a third rounder. Which will probably be comp'd by Scherff.

We swapped our second with the colts, and the other is a 2023 third round (currently, could become a 2nd).

Edit: Correction, I forgot we are missing our 5th rounder 🤷‍♂️

Also the Scherff comp pick isn’t until next year.  Side note, with our 2023 3rd rounder potentially turning into a 2nd, we can’t use either of them as ammo to trade up this year as we did to get Sweat.

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm okay at being overwhelmed. In his first two years, Rivera's biggest swings at bat have been sketchy. His bunts are great.

Rivera has had more success with his one-year prove it free agents then anyone signed to a long term contract.

Yep, they’ve worked out well for us.  It does make it tricky when you need to replace them - Lucas, McKissick and McCain all cemented themselves as valuable pieces for us and we may well not be able to sign any of them - but our hands aren’t tied with dead cap, this is a good way to get into the comp pick game (though I doubt we get any for those 3, lol), and it allows the team to keep looking toward the draft for cheap replacements/upgrades.

3 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Does free agency start at four

We are already in official tampering period so everybody is talking and agreeing to deals

FA officially starts 16th at 4pm

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Have we officially released Collins yet?

I don't think the transaction is done until start of new league year, otherwise the cap hit the year we are not out of yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Yes it does take two. But to be fair you are talking about a completely different scenarios. They wanted him to take a pay cut. Restructures typically give the player some new gauranteed money up front in exchange for the team pushing some of the CAP down the road. Both sides gain something. 

As far as Collins, I liked how he played in that hybrid role. But he is getting older and costs too much money. I thought they had already said they were cutting him. But maybe not. They will most likely and that's OK. Still get the CAP space. 

Again, asking players to take pay cuts is NOT restructuring. There is a huge difference. 

To me, pay cut/restructure is two ways to name one thing...