Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Standig's podcast today and he said he heard there was no contact between Apke and us.  The one thing I'll give this FO credit for is that they don't leak.  I like the resigning.  Trap is arguably the best gunner in the NFL.  He's an elite special teams player.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. Look how much our production went down when we lost McKissic. Now, Wentz probably won't look to JD as much as Heinike did, but our offense went from pretty good to DOA after he went out.

we were also out Thomas and McLaurin was playing hurt as I recall

Just now, mhd24 said:

Listened to Standig's podcast today and he said he heard there was no contact between Apke and us.  The one thing I'll give this FO credit for is that they don't leak.  I like the resigning.  Trap is arguably the best gunner in the NFL.  He's an elite special teams player.

Yep. Everett is a big ST loss, but Trap and Mayo are awesome. Most of us totally ignore teams and just get mad when it doesn't work. STs won the playoffs and SB last year.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Yep. Everett is a big ST loss, but Trap and Mayo are awesome. Most of us totally ignore teams and just get mad when it doesn't work. STs won the playoffs and SB last year.

Yeah.  We all know Tress has been arguably our MVP over the last 8 years or so :).  Slye has a booming leg and was killing it when he got here.  I wonder if we resign Carter?  The fact that he can return both punts and kicks is a big deal for roster construction purposes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

HA!   Gimme Wagner on a 3 year deal at MLB over any big money FS.   Plus Wagner won't count towards compensatory picks.

Honus Wagner in MLB with the pirates was one of the best ever.  If he were alive and in his prime he would be my first pick in fantasy.

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Rivera disagrees with stance one. This was his big swing at QB year because we were largely set elsewhere. Wentz ain’t no Wilson, buts he’s a massive upgrade. No chance Rivera sits on his hands now for 12 months. Got to be tying to go all in right now.

Rivera's final offer was three 1st rounders (plus players) for Wilson.  His initial offer for Wentz was a 4th and a 6th, which he then upgraded upon further negotiations.  I don't think trading for any QB means it's a swinging for the fences situation.  I think he was just desperate for a QB that's capable and can actually throw a football.  The vast differences in offers between Wilson and Wentz suggests the coaches/FO are unsure what they have yet. To put it for a baseball analogy.  The defense went into a shift, and they've got a pulling hitter they aren't sure can hit against the shift.  He's still an asset.  But it's unclear how good of an asset he is yet.

7 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

We need to replace that yardage. Ertz would do that. I can see a drafted RB to take the heat off Gibson.

Ertz got a big contract from Arizona, he's not on the market anymore.  Tbh, I had no idea what to make of the Ertz rumors.  I like our TE group right now, so didn't want to pay big money for Ertz, but also thought him being a good influence on Wentz (supposedly) was a positive.  I was conflicted on what to do regarding Ertz in FA.

If we didn't need more stuff elsewhere, Walker or Hall in the 2nd would be so hard to pass up on if they are still there at #47.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Best blocking TE in the world last year. Easy target and soft hands. Monster year coming up.

Was he that highly graded as a blocker? Do we have stats on that? Great draft pick just for that if true, the receiving upside is gravy. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forgot about TY. Seemed like Carson had a good connection with him as I am watching Hard Knocks

Weird, the tweet you posted talks about McKissic, yet the one in the quote box is different?  Anyways, McKissic has less value on a Wentz team.  He's not a checkdown enthusiast and won't make best use of McKissic's skills.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Weird, the tweet you posted talks about McKissic, yet the one in the quote box is different?  Anyways, McKissic has less value on a Wentz team.  He's not a checkdown enthusiast and won't make best use of McKissic's skills.

You’re right about Wentz, but I do worry about a having back that can protect - not Gibson and Patterson’s strong suit (and that’s usually a skill rookies struggle with).

I’ve got two sort of competing approaches in my head for this offseason - “finishing” the defense or setting Wentz up for success.  The former probably means finding a good mlb and fs, a slot corner, and a solid depth corner.  For the latter, we could us a #2 receiver, a good back, a pass catching TE (insurance for Thomas) and depth at guard and tackle.  Tackle is the biggest conundrum for me - we have our tackles signed for the next few years, so it feels like a waste to spend significant resources at the spot, especially if they might not even see the field… but if one gets hurt, it could royally screw our offense.  

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

The Commanders must spend the offseason improving a secondary that yielded surprisingly disappointing results all throughout 2021 while allowing an astounding 254.9 passing yards per contest. Only the New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens, and Seattle Seahawks fared worse in that category statistically.

The decision to part with multiple immediate and future mid-round draft selections in order to acquire Wentz signals Mayhew's inpatient intentions to win in the present day. The Commanders aren't embracing a rebuild, they're attempting to accelerate the process. Mayhew would likely pounce on an opportunity to select Notre Dame do-it-all safety Kyle Hamilton with the 11th overall selection in the 2022 NFL Draft, but the chances of Hamilton lasting that long on draft day are slim. 

At just 25 years of age, Williams is entering the prime of his already excellent career. If the Commanders want to contend in the NFC East, they must be better suited to deal with Dak Prescott and Dallas' high-flying passing offense. Williams would be a terrific addition to a talented defense that should perform much better in 2022

Apparently we are all in on Marcus Williams.  He is looking for 5yr/60-70 million.  (Source Bleacher report iPhone app)  This would be huge, draft our MLB Lloyd at #11 or if we trade down with Pitt, Dean at #20.  Our defense at this point will be special, very special.

Lets get it done RR, MM, MH, lets get it done.  11 hrs 13 minutes, I got to be nuts still up at this time.

• Like 2

Brady and Jensen back with the Buccs, Expect others to follow. All in with Brady for the last 3 years now. Vea another player to get more signing bonus pushed into future years. If there is a Cap I'll eat ****. 

Oh and we sign Apke yeeeeeeeeeessssssss 🙄🙄🙄🙄

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I have a feeling we might reach a deal with Scherff. 

I think anyone of us here has a better shot playing guard for this team next season than Scherrf. 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So nothing has happened yet? Major signings. Apke is good but it’s Apke.

Apke isn't a big enough splash for you?  Many of us thought we'd lose him in FA.  At this point if they do anything else its gravy.     

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Keim on his podcast this morning

A.  Need to create cap room.  Wll cut Landon Collins.  Maybe extend Flowers to find cap room that way.  He (Standig mentioned the same) mentioned its possible they release Ionnaidis to find cap room -- that part doesn't sound like a report but just speculation

B.  Don't expect them to be big time players.  But more likely secondary players where they might take a bit of time for the cost of some players to come down

C.  In the past he knows, Watson wasn't going to waive his no trade clause to come here, doesn't know if that would have changed.  Landon Collins agent is the same agent who represents Watson so they would have likely had an idea of what's up with Watson

D.  Might lose McKissic and McCain even though they want them back.  Clearly they disagree with their agents on their value.  While allow them to test their value on the market 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim on his podcast this morning

A.  Need to create cap room.  Wll cut Landon Collins.  Maybe extend Flowers to find cap room that way.  He (Standig mentioned the same) mentioned its possible they release Ionnaidis to find cap room -- that part doesn't sound like a report but just speculation

B.  Don't expect them to be big time players.  But more likely secondary players where they might take a bit of time for the cost of some players to come down

C.  In the past he knows, Watson wasn't going to waive his no trade clause to come here, doesn't know if that would have changed.  Landon Collins agent is the same agent who represents Watson so they would have likely had an idea of what's up with Watson

D.  Might lose McKissic and McCain even though they want them back.  Clearly they disagree with their agents on their value.  While allow them to test their value on the market 

Love to see Carter back, any mention of him SIP?