Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

Quick Hitters for the sake of time:

-Shaka Toney played fantastic in his limited opportunities. As did the other DEs such as Wise and Smith-Williams. We aren't missing a beat from our DEs and I am both extremely excited and extremely worried that our two high end first rounders aren't making a larger impact than the motley crew of ends we have. I would shop Young and Sweat this offseason and keep them unless we received a crazy offer. But if we do receive a crazy offer I wouldn't rule it out completely. But they are both talented and IF they pulled it together they both make us much better.

-Antonio Gibson has moments of brilliance and moments of "ugh". He had a great spin and run. He found daylight with excellent vision a few times. He ran hard and downhill. Then there were times he almost lost the ball, didn't find any space and slammed into our OL and ran out of bounds in the waning moments to stop the clock again. I am sticking to what I have said: Gibson is an excellent player that is being overused and a reduction in usage is the key to seeing him improve mentally.  Gibson had 29 carries last night. He had 33 carries in two years at Memphis. 3.8 yards a carry, though. 

-JD McKissick is being used to perfection. He is fresh and explosive every time he touches the ball. I hope he's okay.

-Logan Thomas and Curtis Samuel made small impact due to snaps, but you could feel their presence.

-How about the OL? 4th string center? No problem. Sure, the pass pro broke down a bit more but the group as a whole did an absolutely fantastic job. Scherff's hold was probably the only time I was frustrated with the OL, but upon the replay if Scherff didn't hold Adams that play is blown up in the backfield anyways.

-Taylor Heinicke is absolutely ELITE in the intangibles. He is smart, athletic, clutch, has ice in his veins, sells playaction better than anyone, has excellent anticipation, gets through his reads and accurate when he plays his game and doesn't get too excited to deliver a deep ball. He is not elite as a physical player. He is shorter than most QBs and doesn't have the arm strength that you want. But that elite intangible category elevates him. I like him. We need to see him for the rest of the year because a lot can happen but I am more and more on board with him being the guy in 2022 especially with our draft position dropping... The QBs we want won't be there. Can draft one anyways and see what they turn into but otherwise I think it's Heinicke's squad assuming he doesn't dip too far.

-Terry McLaurin. Again... that is all.

-Jamin Davis flashed. That was nice.

-Cole Holcomb missed a huge tackle in the backfield but his read and pursuit allowed William Jackson to make the play. Jackson has been very meh but that was a good clean up. Holcomb might have missed but one of my biggest complaints with him has been he doesn't play downhill. He's doing much better with that lately.

-Kendall Fuller is playing MUCH better. He's been a high point.

-Jon Allen and Daron Payne. They are disruptive.

-Kam Curl is a top 3 player on this defense.

-I am not down on Turner's playcalling as some are. He had some calls that I was... curious... about. But for the most part he took advantage of a VERY good Seattle defense and wore them down. 

-Not our player but Bobby Wagner had a play where he got up and his arm was hanging. He got up. Took a breath and got in the huddle. It was subtle. No one would have known unless their eyes were on Wagner. That man is a football player and has my absolute highest respect.

-This defense is a free safety away from being much better.

-Landon Collins is a very good linebacker. Like... night and day better than as a safety. He's not perfect but he is letting loose and doing a phenomenal job. He may even be living up to his contract.

-Best play of the game was the fan who threw Everett out of the stands. I'm not for fans touching players, but I'm also not for players jumping into opposing team's home stands. The fan wasn't overly violent, but he set the tone: This is our house. Get out. Loved it. 

-Joey Slye going down hurt this team quite a bit. I hope we don't bring Blewitt back. 

-I like John Bates.

Awards:

*** - JD McKissick

** - Taylor Heinicke

* - Shaka Toney

:( - Joey Slye (because he got hurt)

:( :( - 

:( :( :( - Bobby McCain

Bonus: Landon Collins **, Kendall Fuller ***, The Fan ***, Kam Curl **

Season to Date:

* x12 - Terry McLaurin

* x8 - Jon Allen

* x8 - Taylor Heinicke

* x6 - JD McKissick 

* x6 - Kam Curl

* x4 - Tress Way

* x3 - Erick Flowers

* x3 - "The Fan"

* x2 - Antonio Gibson

* x2 - Logan Thomas

* x1 - Benjamin St Juste

* x1 - DeAndre Carter

* x1 - Jamin Davis

* x1 - Shaka Toney

:( x1 - Joey Slye

:(  x2- William Jackson III

:( x2 - Dax Milne

:( x3- Kendall Fuller

:( x3- Cole Holcomb

:( x3 - Dustin Hopkins

:( x3 - Charles Leno, Jr.

:( x4 - Chase Young

:( x5 - Landon Collins

:( x5 - Bobby McCain

:( x7 - Jon Bostic 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

-Antonio Gibson has moments of brilliance and moments of "ugh". He had a great spin and run. He found daylight with excellent vision a few times. He ran hard and downhill. Then there were times he almost lost the ball, didn't find any space and slammed into our OL and ran out of bounds in the waning moments to stop the clock again. I am sticking to what I have said: Gibson is an excellent player that is being overused and a reduction in usage is the key to seeing him improve mentally.  Gibson had 29 carries last night. He had 33 carries in two years at Memphis. 3.8 yards a carry, though. 

-I am not down on Turner's playcalling as some are. He had some calls that I was... curious... about. But for the most part he took advantage of a VERY good Seattle defense and wore them down. 

I am not as down on Turner the way others are either.  But I do have some bones to pick with him and they mostly relate to Gibson.

A.  Come up with some other plays on third and 1 to throw off defenses.  The whole world knows Gibson will get the ball.

B.  He seems to keep riding Gibson to death once he gets hot.  Seems like the ammo is he will keep giving the ball to Gibson until they stop him and then he will move on.  I am exhausted watching it on behalf of Gibson, I can just imagine how it must physically feel to be him going through it. 

C.  Use Gibson more in the passing game.  He can catch.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not as down on Turner the way others are either.  But I do have some bones to pick with him and they mostly relate to Gibson.

A.  Come up with some other plays on third and 1 to throw off defenses.  The whole world knows Gibson will get the ball.

B.  He seems to keep riding Gibson to death once he gets hot.  Seems like the ammo is he will keep giving the ball to Gibson until they stop him and then he will move on.  I am exhausted watching it on behalf of Gibson, I can just imagine how it must physically feel to be him going through it. 

C.  Use Gibson more in the passing game.  He can catch.

I think this hammers home the "we need another RB" thing. Last night would have been a great time for a real hammer back.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think this hammers home the "we need another RB" thing. Last night would have been a great time for a real hammer back.

And use Gibson like they use McKissick with a few more touches. And keep using McKissick the same way. Beyond dynamic with that set up.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And use Gibson like they use McKissick with a few more touches. And keep using McKissick the same way. Beyond dynamic with that set up.

What's the name of that awful back we had last year? Last nights game is why I wanted to keep him over Patterson. That dude can always get you one yard.

The old Leroy Hoard quote "if you need 3 yards, I'll get you 4. If you need 5 yards, I'll get you 4". 

Overall impressed that they didn't 'collapse' on MNF, and actually won!

I think Heinicke has 3 eyes. There were a few plays where pressure was coming and he threw it at the very last second to avoid being tackled, and my jaw dropped.

But, I can't give alot of praise to the secondary; there were big time huge chunks of yardage given up for no reason other than the player staring in the backfield and losing his contain. 

If this team wants to progress, this secondary HAS to start functioning like a unit should. Whoever the secondary coach is should be put on notice, because they've played games where they played good with coverage, but not last night.

As a Penn State guy, it warms my heart to see Shaka Toney getting reps and succeeding.  I wasn't sure how he would fare in the NFL, he was an undersized DE even by college standards and his quickness was his game.  He looks like he's bulked up though.  Great to see.

You know somewhere, old MassSkinsFan is smiling.  I remember one of his rants about how winning wasn't enough, he wanted Washington to take the other teams soul.  Taking their soul = running the ball every play and grinding them into the dirt.  He would have been pissed about the last 2 and a half minutes but would have loved the first 57.5.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

As a Penn State guy, it warms my heart to see Shaka Toney getting reps and succeeding.  I wasn't sure how he would fare in the NFL, he was an undersized DE even by college standards and his quickness was his game.  He looks like he's bulked up though.  Great to see.

You know somewhere, old MassSkinsFan is smiling.  I remember one of his rants about how winning wasn't enough, he wanted Washington to take the other teams soul.  Taking their soul = running the ball every play and grinding them into the dirt.  He would have been pissed about the last 2 and a half minutes but would have loved the first 57.5.

I wonder what happened to that kook.

What do you think of Brisker?