Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The favorite? No.

But I do think they'd be in the mix with those teams.

Heck, they almost beat Buffalo with the 3rd string QB.🤷‍♂️

I absolutely think they would be a playoff team. But you’d have to put the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals ahead of them at a minimum in the AFC pecking order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find myself with little interest in Carr and of course zero in Darnold. 

I can see RR still wanting to reach for that "IT" QB yet again without even a OC in place at this point. He is going to be playing this year as do or die so he is all in. A bit scary for me.

• Thumb up 1

Ron has already said we wont be playing in the high end free agency bracket and we certainly are not trading assets - its been said a few times in this thread but we are probably talking about Teddy Bridgewater or Jacoby Brissett type players. Bring back Heinicke is a possibility as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Ron has already said we wont be playing in the high end free agency bracket and we certainly are not trading assets - its been said a few times in this thread but we are probably talking about Teddy Bridgewater or Jacoby Brissett type players. Bring back Heinicke is a possibility as well.

And I think he was saying that to temper expectations for all of free agency... because there are people who still think that we are going to sign some of these expensive dudes in our current state.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

Like every offseason he’s been here, Rivera is being transparent about their priorities and plans this offseason. Idk why people have such a hard time believing him. 

In the early January end of season press conference both Ron, and Mayhew, talked a fair bit about the QB situation, Mayhew said the below which i think would bring Carr into the discussion at the moment. Not saying we go get him, but I personally wouldn’t discount it. 

However, at one point in the presser, if you listened carefully, Mayhew answers a question about the next quarterback search.

Well, you pretty much have to enter every season and look at the entire landscape of what’s available and I thought we did a really good job of that last year. We talked about drafting guys. We talked about who we could trade for and we talked about free agents. We went through the entire process of all those guys and did a very thorough evaluation. We will do the same thing this year. We’re not gonna rule out acquiring a vet. We’ll go through the entire landscape of who’s available

• Like 2

Even if we were interested in Carr it wouldn't make any difference because we'd probably be one of the last places on his list, given that we have no OC and a coming owner change which will potentially leave the entire coaching staff up in the air.

So the whole Carr conversation is more or less a purely academic exercise.

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Even if we were interested in Carr it wouldn't make any difference because we'd probably be one of the last places on his list, given that we have no OC and a coming owner change which will potentially leave the entire coaching staff up in the air.

So the whole Carr conversation is more or less a purely academic exercise.

Maybe so, especially after half a dozen head coaches and just about as many play callers in his 9 year tenure as a Raider. Sounds like the Saints wanted him to take a salary cut when they discussed a trade. He even suggested he’d retire last year. I don’t think he’ll get the deal many think. 

• Like 1

Carr will be heavily pursued, since he is the premier FA this offseason.  Aaron Rodgers is the best QB that could get moved via trade, but that's a big if.  Carr will have his pick of either the Jets, Saints, or Bucs.  Washington doesn't seem to be in the mix at the moment, but even if they were in the mix, why would he choose us over those other teams?  All those teams have more stability at the moment compared to Washington, and the ownership situation here in Washington is still in flux.  We don't have an OC yet, and the HC is probably gone by this time next year, so Carr would be well advised to steer clear of this team and it's issues.  If Dan wasn't intending to sell, and he was planning stay here long term as the owner (God Forbid), Carr wouldn't even consider us as a possible destination.  This organization is repellent to potential FA's and coaches who are looking for new opportunities.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Maybe so, especially after half a dozen head coaches and just about as many play callers in his 9 year tenure as a Raider. Sounds like the Saints wanted him to take a salary cut when they discussed a trade. He even suggested he’d retire last year. I don’t think he’ll get the deal many think. 

Yeah I think pretty much the only thing we could offer a decent QB is some really good receivers to throw to. But we'd still have no OC, a HC who might be gone next season due to a looming ownership change, a crappy OL, and a current owner who is probably going to be as cheap as possible on his way out. I have a feeling we'll be pretty far down on most QB's lists. 

Edited by mistertim

On 2/8/2023 at 12:22 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

My thoughts as well (which is why I snuck him onto the back end of all my superflex/2QB dynasty rosters and why I was so happy we got him. 

I appreciated the thing I think you posted which had both scouts that liked him and at least one that wasn't a fan to get at least one angle on why he wasn't liked. If someone didnt like him after '20, that matters to me, if they didn't like him after '21, when he lost all the surrounding talent and became half RB/ half QB, that's less meaningful to me. 

What I'm really curious about is what scouts thought of him when he had a functional offense, how many considered him a top guy because the sense I got (and like you I follow this years in advance, not just final seasons for me because of dynasty) was that the '22 QB class was the worst since '19, but that guys like Howell, Willis and Rattler were all considered potential first round guys. Rattler imploded, Willis exploded, and Howell had an explicable down year. I seem to recall Howell being consistently in the top 2 of rankings that offseason, and usually projected in mocks to go late in side the top 10, to the early 20's, like 7th-22nd kind of thing. 

If that was the consensus after his functional seasons, then we got a guy w/legit starter upside. The fact that he's looked completely fine since we drafted him underlines this. He hasn't looked like a star necessairly, but he hasn't given us the "oh ----, we screwed up" vibes like RGIII gave in year 2, or that Haskins, Campbell, Ramsey, and Shuler gave. Those four guys all gave variations on the "Jag or worse" vibe.  Seems like Howell at worst is maybe a Dalton type in terms of production etc. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, it kinda makes sense, Fields hasn't proven he can be a throwing QB in this league, though to be honest, playing for the Bears the past two years is like Howell playing for North Carolina in '21. The bears are horse ---- and have zero weapons and nothing of note. No QB would look good there.

I wonder what he could garner in a trade. I would trade for him in a second, but if we wouldn't trade up for him in '21, I struggle to see why we would now unless he comes cheap.

Very happy if Fields can get off that team. Are there any franchises w/less weapons for their QB than Chicago? Maybe 1 or 2 but I can't think of them (the Rams have weapons but are so thoroughly compromised through trades that that could end up worse long term).  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I know it's not happening, but I'm gonna stir the pot a little.

The reason we haven't picked an OC yet could be because we're still negotiating with Carr to pair him with an OC he'd like.

In our current state that is the best thing we can offer any QB.

Come here and pick your OC, which means you get to pick your scheme.

No having to spend the first year learning a brand new O from scratch.

Now if we can pair that w/ an announcement that Bezos has put in a bid... that becomes very tantalizing for a prospective QB.

• Like 1

Derek Carr playing on a team with a strong receiving corps for once, and taking Mahomes' old OC to the big dance and going toe-to-toe with Mahomes himself? Silencing the doubters forever while becoming a hero to his new city and instantly being a leader in an entire conference starved for star QBs in their prime? If you throw out the stingy, odious troglodyte who'd have to write the check, and the fact that the entire front office and coaching staff are balancing on a single season's success, that would be awfully enticing.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Like every offseason he’s been here, Rivera is being transparent about their priorities and plans this offseason. Idk why people have such a hard time believing him. 

There’s one difference this year. Ron may have new boss at the end of March. So, while we likely won’t do anything big in 11 days before owners meetings; that could change after the new owner is approved.

Our draft plans may change. The new owner may dictate we move up the draft to get a qb.

We just don’t know. I do think the new owner will want to do something.

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

There’s one difference this year. Ron may have new boss at the end of March. So, while we likely won’t do anything big in 11 days before owners meetings; that could change after the new owner is approved.

Our draft plans may change. The new owner may dictate we move up the draft to get a qb.

We just don’t know. I do think the new owner will want to do something.

How about the new owner stays out of the way so we can build an OL first before even thinking about going up the draft to get a QB who will be killed just like this year! 

30 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually, the Bears should move on from Fields. 

Whether that’s true or not, that would be why I said “either way”—if it’s a smokescreen, great. If it’s not, great. Either way they are better off not seeming 100% attached to Fields. 

Edited by Conn