Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

The Stafford deal for the Rams makes me sad.  I recall some on the QB thread last year wouldn't even give up a first round pick for Stafford.  That was the guy i wanted the most -- talk about high ceiling.   

He's arguably playing the best ball at Qb in the league now.  McVay couldn't fix Goff.  I am suprised the Lions thought they could.  He's having an abysmal season. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32446676/los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-recall-reactions-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-trade-impact

Where can these teams go with their quarterbacks?

With Stafford's big-play potential, the Rams have their sights set on Super Bowl LVI on Feb. 13, 2022, in front of a hometown crowd at SoFi Stadium.

"Going back to when this all went down, it was more about the opportunity to acquire Matthew and what we felt like that meant for our football team," McVay said. "... we felt [the trade] was a rare opportunity to acquire a player of Matthew's caliber, that those opportunities just don't come up often."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Stafford deal for the Rams makes me sad.  I recall some on the QB thread last year wouldn't even give up a first round pick for Stafford.  That was the guy i wanted the most -- talk about high ceiling.   

He's arguably playing the best ball at Qb in the league now.  McVay couldn't fix Goff.  I am suprised the Lions thought they could.  He's having an abysmal season. 

Ditto, the positive is at least we know their starting point was a 1st and 3rd which shows a willingness to go aggressive if they think they've got the right guy.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This. I wanted him at basically any at even remotely palatable cost.

I have seen some stories that he never considered us, though. He really, really wanted to go to L.A. and play for McVay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

What's his hand size? He's the guy I actually think we have a real shot at, and I've liked what I've seen in him. I wonder if he's had drop off in bad weather?

I can't remember the source but I think @Skinsinparadisementioned it in a thread as being something like 8.5 or 8.75 inches. That's about a full inch smaller than NFL average. I know he wears a glove on his throwing hand to help (IIRC there were reports that he actually wears 2 gloves).

I don't think it's as big of a deal as some do, but there's not much doubt that guys with bigger hands generally have an easier time handling the ball. IIRC hand size was one of the concerns about Burrow...but obviously it wasn't enough of a concern to stop Cincy from taking him #1 overall.

50 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

This. I wanted him at basically any at even remotely palatable cost.

I have seen some stories that he never considered us, though. He really, really wanted to go to L.A. and play for McVay.

This is why I think we should stop deluding ourselves with the Wilson, Watson, and Rodgers talk. None of those guys will want to play here.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Ditto, the positive is at least we know their starting point was a 1st and 3rd which shows a willingness to go aggressive if they think they've got the right guy.

Wasn’t a 1st and 3rd our limit, not our starting point ?

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I can't remember the source but I think @Skinsinparadisementioned it in a thread as being something like 8.5 or 8.75 inches. That's about a full inch smaller than NFL average. I know he wears a glove on his throwing hand to help (IIRC there were reports that he actually wears 2 gloves).

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

It might have been, but one report forget by whom said it was that and a player too, not sure if that was true or who the player was.

According to Mile Silver who is tight with Rivera, they actually thought there was a good chance they were going to land him. 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Yeah that was said, he wanted to go to LA. 

Thinking about how I would rate the QB draft prospects, my not all that educated take (I have not really watched quite a few of them, so its based off reputation) take is:

1.  Matt Corral: I really haven't watched him, but I am buying the hype on this board some.

2.  Sam Howell:  A lower middle class version of Baker Mayfield

3.  Kenny Pickett:  A guy who should be a game manager.  Maybe 2022's version of Mac Jones

4.  Carson Strong

5.  Malik Harris

6.  Desmond Ridder

Full acknowledgement that I haven't watch any Carson Strong or Malik Harris games.  The other guys I have watched on TV but for some of them, only one game or even less.

I googled it and 8.25 to 8.5 is the average man's handsize according to the article.   Tom Brady was between 9.25 and 9.5.  9.5 to 9.75 is kind of the average NFL QB's hand size.  Patrick Mahomes is slightly below average for NFL standards at 9.25.  Aaron Rodgers is right at the average.  Joe Burrow was 9 flat.  So 8.25 to 8.5  for Pickett would make him an average male, but deficient compared to other NFL QB's.  Handsize is only weakly correlated with height.  Kyler Murray has 9.5 hands and both Russell Wilson and Drew Brees were in the 10 flat range.  According to the article, TE Mo Alie Cox is believed to have the largest hands in the NFL at 12 flat.  

Edited by philibusters

The small hands thing might correlate with fumbles too. I haven't been able to find the stats, but IIRC Pickett has had quite a few.

Another issue with Pickett is why it took him so long to be any good. He's a 5th year QB and until this season he's been pretty mediocre at very best.

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The small hands thing might correlate with fumbles too. I haven't been able to find the stats, but IIRC Pickett has had quite a few.

Another issue with Pickett is why it took him so long to be any good. He's a 5th year QB and until this season he's been pretty mediocre at very best.

You got a very good point!

My hands are not that big and i'm always fumbling around for my car keys...

That would be an interesting challenge; find the most successful QB with the smallest hands. Thinking about Brees, the Card's QB today, who else?

12 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

You got a very good point!

My hands are not that big and i'm always fumbling around for my car keys...

That would be an interesting challenge; find the most successful QB with the smallest hands. Thinking about Brees, the Card's QB today, who else?

Brees was actually the opposite. He was like Wilson...has enormous hands for his height. Something like 10.25 inches IRRC.

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Brees was actually the opposite. He was like Wilson...has enormous hands for his height. Something like 10.25 inches IRRC.

Well lets get the damn board stretcher out and work over a couple QBs...

10.25" ??  No wonder when the camera panned over to his family his wife was always smiling...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Same. I wouldn't even know how. Kinda wanna now though.

Me too.  Something I never thought about, but I had to know after this discussion.  9.5" for me, which is big considering I'm only 6' tall.  One thing that's kind of weird is that my left hand is slightly bigger than my right hand but I'm right handed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32446676/los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-recall-reactions-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-trade-impact

Where can these teams go with their quarterbacks?

With Stafford's big-play potential, the Rams have their sights set on Super Bowl LVI on Feb. 13, 2022, in front of a hometown crowd at SoFi Stadium.

"Going back to when this all went down, it was more about the opportunity to acquire Matthew and what we felt like that meant for our football team," McVay said. "... we felt [the trade] was a rare opportunity to acquire a player of Matthew's caliber, that those opportunities just don't come up often."

I thought the Lions had to take Goff otherwise the Rams wouldn't have the cap space to do the trade?  It's also why the Rams gave up more than expected draft capital, cause the Lions were then on the hook for that contract.

Hand size for QB's is always talked about if there's an oddity.

Teddy Bridgewater was the minimum at 9.25, and has to wear a glove.

Patrick Mahomes was thought of as a risk also at 9.25, but doesn't wear a glove.  That'll probably change as he gets older.

A lot of QB's as they age start wearing gloves as their grip and arm strength/motion starts to decline.  Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner never wore gloves until their last few years in the league.

8.25 for Pickett (if that's the correct hand measurement) will be talked about endlessly.  He's not going to go as high as people think when the media engine gets going.  I would guess we could trade back and still land Pickett.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me too.  Something I never thought about, but I had to know after this discussion.  9.5" for me, which is big considering I'm only 6' tall.  One thing that's kind of weird is that my left hand is slightly bigger than my right hand but I'm right handed.

10 inches. Go figure. I'm 6'3".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Silver quoted in an article from September the 1st and 3rd was an "opening" offer.  See my post on the previous page

Edited by HigSkin