Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

More like Crack Prescott, amirite?!?

The one that kills me is Hurts. Sure he had a good rushing season last year but that doesnt make him a good qb. he had 3100 yards and 16 passing Tds in 17 games. Great runner, apparently good leader, well below average passer. And atleast to until he becomes even average to slightly above average as a passer theres no way hes a border line top 15 qb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

The one that kills me is Hurts. Sure he had a good rushing season last year but that doesnt make him a good qb. he had 3100 yards and 16 passing Tds in 17 games. Great runner, apparently good leader, well below average passer. And atleast to until he becomes even average to slightly above average as a passer theres no way hes a border line top 15 qb

Some other quibbles:

- It's only one spot, but Herbert ahead of Burrow, I don't see it.  One guy got his team to the SB last year and was a REALLY big reason they got there, the other didn't.  Right now, I'd take Burrow over Herbert.  

- At this moment in time, I would take Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Kyler Murray and Derek Carr over Dak.  And I LIKE Dak.  I would take Dak on this team over Wentz tomorrow.  And I like Wentz.  (Cue @KDawg's "Howell is better than all of them." I am down with that and believe it to be a stone cold lock.)  

- Again, it's just one spot, but I'd take Kirk "Kurt" Cousins over Matt Ryan.  

- Jameis Winston should be in the bottom 4.  Sean Payton didn't trust him to throw more than 23 passes per game last season and he's coming off of a torn ACL.

- I'd take Wentz over: Jalen Hurts, Tua, Jameis, Jimmy, Baker (though there's contract context to that which I have gone into previously), Teddy and Daniel Jones. I'd take I thihim over Matt Ryan for age reasons.  That would put him at 15 on my list.  Which I think is about right.  

- For right now, the following QBs are just on the list "because" but they shouldn't be playing: Darnold, Lock, Mitch, Brissett, Geno Smith, Marcus Mariota, Teddy Bridewater.  

- Jalen Hurts is way too high.  But he's tough to grade.  I would definitely take him over the list above. I'd also take him over Daniel Jones. I would put him very close to Jimmy.  If I had a choice between the two of them, I might take Hurts because Jimmy is always hurt and is recovering from shoulder surgery. 

- Goff is so weird.  I get that his success is a lot tied to McVay.  But the guy did get the team to a SB, and he wasn't absolutely horrific for the first couple years he had McVay.  You would think he would fit into the "he should have a starting NFL Job" category.  But he just doesn't.  Yet.  Things could change, I guess.  

Is it coincidence the QB who is probably the most over-rated by this list is the QB of the Cowboys, and the QB who is the most under-rated by this list is the QB of the Commanders?

I find that not so coincidental.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Some other quibbles:

- It's only one spot, but Herbert ahead of Burrow, I don't see it.  One guy got his team to the SB last year and was a REALLY big reason they got there, the other didn't.  Right now, I'd take Burrow over Herbert.  

- At this moment in time, I would take Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Matt Stafford, Kyler Murray and Derek Carr over Dak.  And I LIKE Dak.  I would take Dak on this team over Wentz tomorrow.  And I like Wentz.  (Cue @KDawg's "Howell is better than all of them." I am down with that and believe it to be a stone cold lock.)  

- Again, it's just one spot, but I'd take Kirk "Kurt" Cousins over Matt Ryan.  

- Jameis Winston should be in the bottom 4.  Sean Payton didn't trust him to throw more than 23 passes per game last season and he's coming off of a torn ACL.

- I'd take Wentz over: Jalen Hurts, Tua, Jameis, Jimmy, Baker (though there's contract context to that which I have gone into previously), Teddy and Daniel Jones. I'd take I thihim over Matt Ryan for age reasons.  That would put him at 15 on my list.  Which I think is about right.  

- For right now, the following QBs are just on the list "because" but they shouldn't be playing: Darnold, Lock, Mitch, Brissett, Geno Smith, Marcus Mariota, Teddy Bridewater.  

- Jalen Hurts is way too high.  But he's tough to grade.  I would definitely take him over the list above. I'd also take him over Daniel Jones. I would put him very close to Jimmy.  If I had a choice between the two of them, I might take Hurts because Jimmy is always hurt and is recovering from shoulder surgery. 

- Goff is so weird.  I get that his success is a lot tied to McVay.  But the guy did get the team to a SB, and he wasn't absolutely horrific for the first couple years he had McVay.  You would think he would fit into the "he should have a starting NFL Job" category.  But he just doesn't.  Yet.  Things could change, I guess.  

Is it coincidence the QB who is probably the most over-rated by this list is the QB of the Cowboys, and the QB who is the most under-rated by this list is the QB of the Commanders?

I find that not so coincidental.  

I agree wIth every single one of these takes. The funny thing too though is if you look at Dak and Wentz stats over their careers they are actually pretty similar difference is one has always had a ton of offensive talent around them and one has not. 

• Thumb up 1

I am higher than most on Ryan but regardless I do agree with the point below, Ryan has to be the most overrated QB heading into this season considering all the odd over the top hype about him.   lol, i didn't realize until this off season how over the top the Colts are as far as their propaganda machine.   

Now if Matt Ryan made that throw, Colts would be saying Matt is Peyton in his prime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am higher than most on Ryan but regardless I do agree with the point below, Ryan has to be the most overrated QB heading into this season considering all the odd over the top hype about him.   lol, i didn't realize until this off season how over the top the Colts are as far as their propaganda machine.   

Now if Matt Ryan made that throw, Colts would be saying Matt is Peyton in his prime.

Ryan likely most overrated and Wentz by far most underrated. The narrative Irsay has spun is insane even locally. I just got in a prolonged debate with Danny from Grant and Danny over that list I posted a few minutes ago. He absolutely did not agree with my assessment of Wentz being between 13-15

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Dak is the most overrated QB in the NFL.  And I like Dak.  I'd take Dak.  Tomorrow.  But he's nowhere near as good as the slobbering would lead you to believe.  He is the best QB in the division though. 

Matt Ryan is second on the overrated list. Which is odd because for a number of years in the early/middle part of his career, I thought he was criminally underrated.  Now he gets the Irsay media hand job, and he's Peyton Goddamn Manning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Ryan likely most overrated and Wentz by far most underrated. The narrative Irsay has spun is insane even locally. I just got in a prolonged debate with Danny from Grant and Danny over that list I posted a few minutes ago. He absolutely did not agree with my assessment of Wentz being between 13-15

Cool.  I was listening on and off to that show today, I missed that exchange but I'll go back and try to catch it.

Danny is actually as big of a Wentz hater as Sheehan the only difference is he's not as persistent as to harping on the hating the way Sheehan does.   Danny's take is typically who cares about the personality crap on Wentz, lets just focus on that he sucks.  Chris Russell was once up there with them but he's backed off some.

Granted i pay attention to Wentz now more because he's here.  But man the hate for this dude is one of the more irrational things i've ever seen in following sports.  Standig in particular and to some extent Finlay are starting to have fun goofing on how over the top the Wentz haters are.   So I am glad its starting to catch on how bonkers these Wentz haters are.

I don't need people fawning all over Wentz.  But the notion that he's a joke is wild to me.  We would have gotten better PR if they signed someone like Tyrod Taylor to run this offense.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool.  I was listening on and off to that show today, I missed that exchange but I'll go back and try to catch it.

Danny is actually as big of a Wentz hater as Sheehan the only difference is he's not as persistent as to harping on the hating the way Sheehan does.   Danny's take is typically who cares about the personality crap on Wentz, lets just focus on that he sucks.  Chris Russell was once up there with them but he's backed off some.

Granted i pay attention to Wentz now more because he's here.  But man the hate for this dude is one of the more irrational things i've ever seen in following sports.  Standig in particular and to some extent Finlay are starting to have fun goofing on how over the top the Wentz haters are.   So I am glad its starting to catch on how bonkers these Wentz haters are.

I don't need people fawning all over Wentz.  But the notion that he's a joke is wild to me.  We would have gotten better PR if they signed someone like Tyrod Taylor to run this offense.  

Dont worry about going back and listening it was a back and forth twitter exchange. Danny was the the one that retweeted that list though which is where I saw it. maybe he talked about it on the show idk to be honest I only listened to beginning of the show. But Ill give you a general idea of how it went. At one point I pointed out that Wentz got sacked 50 times in 12 games in 2020 and the response was that's because Wentz plays hero ball and makes olines worse. And sure weve all seen the hero ball narrative and yes he does have a tendency to do that at times but the next highest amount of sacks hes taken in a season is 37

• Like 3

They tried so I can't complain aboiut it but wow what a difference a Russell Wilson likely would have meant buzz wise for this season.  Denver out of nowhere gets 5 prime games.  We get 2 and without a Sunday Night game, which is the premium one.  Some talk by beat guys about how even the stadium quest might have gone smoother in Virginia because part of the opposition is some of the politicians see no buzz/excitement in their community about the team so its in the soup that a stadium might not bring as much revenue as the team purports. 

• Thanks 1

Ryan #3, Wentz, #10.   Lol, as what is said here, if Pittman can produce with that bum Wentz, imagine what he can do with Ryan who apparently with each passing day is becoming NFL's new Goat -- Brady beware, there is a new legend in town, that is the most hyped QB in today's NFL, Matt Ryan.  5000 yards, 50 TDs?  Is there any expectation that is too low for Ryan? 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ten-best-new-veteran-qb-wr-combos-heading-into-the-2022-nfl-season

Ten best new veteran QB-WR combos heading into the 2022 NFL season

Rank

Matt Ryan

Indianapolis Colts · QB

Michael Pittman

Indianapolis Colts · WR

The Colts continue to shuffle through QBs, with Matt Ryan representing the fifth starter since Frank Reich became the head coach in 2018. The former NFL MVP isn't what he once was and is coming off his first sub-4,000-yard season since 2010, but he can still put the ball on the money and isn't afraid to stand in under pressure.

Last season, the Colts didn't trust Carson Wentz down the stretch, leading to a regular-season collapse as the signal-caller threw for fewer than 200 yards in six of the final eight weeks. There should be no such concerns with Ryan.

The 37-year-old might have broken his streak of 10 straight seasons with 4,000 yards (second-longest all-time behind only Drew Brees) but it wasn't by much, netting 3,968 yards last year on a Falcons team in shambles by the end of the season. He still completed 67 percent of his passes despite a decimated receiver corps behind Russell Gage.

Now he pairs up with Michael Pittman Jr., one of the burgeoning young receivers in the NFL. In his breakout sophomore season, Pittman proved he could win one-on-one matchups and beat double teams. Despite the Colts' pass-game struggles, Pittman generated 1,082 yards on 88 catches with six TDs. No other Colts pass catcher even hit the 400-yard mark. It was Pittman or bust.

If he can produce with Wentz, imagine what he can do with Ryan.

Rank

Carson Wentz
Washington Commanders · QB

Terry McLaurin
Washington Commanders · WR

This tandem makes the list on the strength of the hot start to Terry McLaurin's career. 

The 26-year-old has generated 3,090 yards on 222 catches -- the most receptions through three seasons in Washington franchise history -- with 16 TDs. Since 2019, McLaurin has registered nine games with at least 100 receiving yards and one receiving TD (fourth-most in the NFL), and he's earned 1,000-plus yards in each of the past two years, including 1,053 yards on 77 catches with five TDs in 2021. McLaurin was the Washington passing offense last season, as no other player hit the 400-yard receiving mark.

A crisp route runner, McLaurin has proven he can win anywhere on the field and against double coverages, which he saw plenty. The speedy weapon with good hands can make circus catches look routine.

I don't love the pairing with Carson Wentz, but as colleague Nick Shook pointed out, the former Colts quarterback actually graded out well on his deep passing score last season. That bodes well for his connection with McLaurin, whose 13.4 air yards per target was third-highest in the NFL last season among players with at least 100 targets.

Wentz clearly lost confidence -- and the trust of his coaching staff -- last season as he withered down the stretch and Indy missed the playoffs. Washington hopes it can be the team to recapture the magic from Wentz's 2017 season that is slowly starting to seem a figment of our imagination.  

Still, when protected, Wentz has enough talent to get the ball to a playmaker like McLaurin. If McLaurin can gobble up stats with a patchwork of quarterbacks including Taylor Heinicke, a diminished Alex Smith and Colt McCoy, he can undoubtedly pull Wentz along.

Even with rookie Jahan Dotson in line for a significant role, I still expect McLaurin to dominate the pigskin. But, first, the club needs to figure out his contract situation.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ryan #3, Wentz, #10.   Lol, as what is said here, if Pittman can produce with that bum Wentz, imagine what he can do with Ryan who apparently with each passing day is becoming NFL's new Goat -- Brady beware, there is a new legend in town, that is the most hyped QB in today's NFL, Matt Ryan.  5000 yards, 50 TDs?  Is there any expectation that is too low for Ryan? 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ten-best-new-veteran-qb-wr-combos-heading-into-the-2022-nfl-season

Ten best new veteran QB-WR combos heading into the 2022 NFL season

Rank

Matt Ryan

Indianapolis Colts · QB

Michael Pittman

Indianapolis Colts · WR

The Colts continue to shuffle through QBs, with Matt Ryan representing the fifth starter since Frank Reich became the head coach in 2018. The former NFL MVP isn't what he once was and is coming off his first sub-4,000-yard season since 2010, but he can still put the ball on the money and isn't afraid to stand in under pressure.

Last season, the Colts didn't trust Carson Wentz down the stretch, leading to a regular-season collapse as the signal-caller threw for fewer than 200 yards in six of the final eight weeks. There should be no such concerns with Ryan.

The 37-year-old might have broken his streak of 10 straight seasons with 4,000 yards (second-longest all-time behind only Drew Brees) but it wasn't by much, netting 3,968 yards last year on a Falcons team in shambles by the end of the season. He still completed 67 percent of his passes despite a decimated receiver corps behind Russell Gage.

Now he pairs up with Michael Pittman Jr., one of the burgeoning young receivers in the NFL. In his breakout sophomore season, Pittman proved he could win one-on-one matchups and beat double teams. Despite the Colts' pass-game struggles, Pittman generated 1,082 yards on 88 catches with six TDs. No other Colts pass catcher even hit the 400-yard mark. It was Pittman or bust.

If he can produce with Wentz, imagine what he can do with Ryan.

Rank

Carson Wentz
Washington Commanders · QB

Terry McLaurin
Washington Commanders · WR

This tandem makes the list on the strength of the hot start to Terry McLaurin's career. 

The 26-year-old has generated 3,090 yards on 222 catches -- the most receptions through three seasons in Washington franchise history -- with 16 TDs. Since 2019, McLaurin has registered nine games with at least 100 receiving yards and one receiving TD (fourth-most in the NFL), and he's earned 1,000-plus yards in each of the past two years, including 1,053 yards on 77 catches with five TDs in 2021. McLaurin was the Washington passing offense last season, as no other player hit the 400-yard receiving mark.

A crisp route runner, McLaurin has proven he can win anywhere on the field and against double coverages, which he saw plenty. The speedy weapon with good hands can make circus catches look routine.

I don't love the pairing with Carson Wentz, but as colleague Nick Shook pointed out, the former Colts quarterback actually graded out well on his deep passing score last season. That bodes well for his connection with McLaurin, whose 13.4 air yards per target was third-highest in the NFL last season among players with at least 100 targets.

Wentz clearly lost confidence -- and the trust of his coaching staff -- last season as he withered down the stretch and Indy missed the playoffs. Washington hopes it can be the team to recapture the magic from Wentz's 2017 season that is slowly starting to seem a figment of our imagination.  

Still, when protected, Wentz has enough talent to get the ball to a playmaker like McLaurin. If McLaurin can gobble up stats with a patchwork of quarterbacks including Taylor Heinicke, a diminished Alex Smith and Colt McCoy, he can undoubtedly pull Wentz along.

Even with rookie Jahan Dotson in line for a significant role, I still expect McLaurin to dominate the pigskin. But, first, the club needs to figure out his contract situation.

The ignoring of basic overall context to things by people who are supposed to do this thing for a living will always boggle my mind. Is it the fact that they didn’t trust wentz? Or is it the fact that they had a rb having an all time season behind a good run blocking line? Could the fact that the oline was terrible in pass pro with no receiving threats have anything to do with it?  The narrative is mind boggling 

• Like 3

I just watched a clip of Heineke’s appearance on Bussin with the Boys, basically telling his story of how he ended up going from the couch to playing Brady in the playoffs.  Cool hearing it from him and a recap of his performance in that game.  

I still like this guy even though the Hive says I hate him.  Just because I’d prefer he not start for us ever again, doesn’t mean I can’t respect him and his story.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Really like Howell, but I have a general question...do NFL players get paid every time they say the phrase "each and every day"?

I can't possibly count the number of times I've heard that come out of pretty much every single NFL player's mouth. Is that the only phrase they teach in rookie orientation each year or something?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Really like Howell, but I have a general question...do NFL players get paid every time they say the phrase "each and every day"?

I can't possibly count the number of times I've heard that come out of pretty much every single NFL player's mouth. Is that the only phrase they teach in rookie orientation each year or something?

"Each and every day" pays 25 bucks a use.

"Ya know" only gets 5 bucks a pop so they have to use it with more volume to make it worth it.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

My question is does he look super chunky?  If so, he must really like the team prepped chicken meals.  LOL