Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Pick 4 is the spot, IMO.

Lions might need some DL help.So I guess we could offer #11 and Sweat. Or #11, another pick, and Payne to get to #2. Texans at #3 need a lot. Need to rebuild completely. They'd probably want picks over players, but #11, #42 and a 2022 1st could get it done. For NYJ at #4 I wouldn't offer more than #11 and a 2022 1st.

I'd rather part with #11, Payne, and another pick than Sweat. IMO Payne is going to be much easier to replace than a freak like Sweat. Though I'm guessing to move up to 4 the Jets would be likely to want our 2023 1st instead. Sweat is a good player but I don't think he's really considered a game changer by anyone, so may not even net a value of a 1st round pick in a trade. They'd be more likely to ask for a guy like Terry or Chase.

That being said, you're right that 4 is pretty much the sweet spot, so if there's a bidding war the price could go up pretty fast.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think if they trade him it is 28mil dead cap because the 29mil guaranteed salary is taken on by the team acquiring him ?

Not as per Spotrac.  But they could do it as a post June 1 move I guess and take 'just' $38.6M this year and $18.8 in 2023. But even taking $38.6M before you think about fitting a new deal for his replacement into their cap is unthinkable. The Titans are projected to be around $7-8M under the cap so they dint have that much wiggle room anyway. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/ryan-tannehill-9818/

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Not as per Spotrac.  But they could do it as a post June 1 move I guess and take 'just' $38.6M this year and $18.8 in 2023. But even taking $38.6M before you think about fitting a new deal for his replacement into their cap is unthinkable. The Titans are projected to be around $7-8M under the cap so they dint have that much wiggle room anyway. 

Tannehill won't be moved. If they acquire a QB it will be with a deal structured to best absorb Tannehill's contract. Which is able to be done with a good cap guy.

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Much of what I have heard and read about Willis is from a traits standpoint, he's the best talent at QB in this draft. But he is raw. So it would make a lot of sense to have him sit behind a veteran. I think anyone we draft is going to sit in 2022, so not like it alters the strategy a ton. It would make sense to me in the end. Jimmy G wants to compete right away, and he likely sees Washington as a 1-2 year opportunity to do so while we groom another QB and by all accounts, he was a great mentor to Lance this year and handled the situation like a true pro.

If we were to trade a 3rd for Jimmy G and snag Willis at #11, you accomplish both short term opportunity and long-term potential. I think Willis is someone we could get at #11, but maybe we throw in a 2nd to move up and take him a bit higher. After all the commotion around picks and cost for a QB, I don't think too many here would be upset about giving up a 1st-3rd in this draft only nail the position down.

Willis will probably be available at the team's 2nd round pick, so overdrafting him in the first (or even worse trading up) seems like a terrible use of assets. I'd love to see Washington "nail down" the position. But trading for an injury-prone mediocre at best QB in the last year of his deal and then hoping and praying Willis pans out hardly seems like nailing down the positions. Seems more like burning two high picks on no solution.

• Like 3

I feel like a lot of people are buying into the helium of the draft. Reminds me of last year with Jamie Newman. He was the toolsy developmental guy that some people thought would go as high as the third. Turns out he went undrafted and lasted about 3 weeks on an NFL offseason roster. Obviously someone like Willis is better, but I don't get the idea of trading up to get him when there's still a VERY good chance he doesn't even go in the first round at all. And if he does, he's still an extreme dice role type of guy that is far more likely to bust than boom.

Edited by Jericho

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I feel like a lot of people are buying into the helium of the draft. Reminds me of last year with Jamie Newman. He was the toolsy developmental guy that some people thought would go as high as the third. Turns out he went undrafted and last about 3 weeks on an NFL offseason roster. Obviously someone like Willis is better, but I don't get the idea of trading up to get him when there's still a VERY good chance he doesn't even go in the first round at all. And if he does, he's still an extreme dice role type of guy that is far more likely to bust than boom.

This is gonna be like the 2013 draft.  People gonna elevate the top QBs to the first because that's where top QBs go, even if they don't deserve it, then at draft time, it's just not going to happen

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

This is gonna be like the 2013 draft.  People gonna elevate the top QBs to the first because that's where top QBs go, even if they don't deserve it, then at draft time, it's just not going to happen

EJ Manuel here we come :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Have you clicked on the 57.4mil number where it explains the impact of a trade. They only get 28.4mil dead cap from a trade, split differently if designated pre/post 1 June.

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

for sweat and 11 we should be able to get to 2 or 3. He is at least comparable to the top 2

I don't think he is. He's a good player, but not a game changer. Not an All Pro or even Pro Bowl level player at this point. Niners got a 1st for Buckner but IMO he was a much more established stud than Sweat is and that wasn't for a move up into the top 2.

IMO to move up to #2 or so it would probably take at least Sweat + our 2022 2nd rounder or our 2023 1st, especially if there's competition for moving up to that spot.

33 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Willis will probably be available at the team's 2nd round pick, so overdrafting him in the first (or even worse trading up) seems like a terrible use of assets. I'd love to see Washington "nail down" the position. But trading for an injury-prone mediocre at best QB in the last year of his deal and then hoping and praying Willis pans out hardly seems like nailing down the positions. Seems more like burning two high picks on no solution.

My thinking on this has changed a bit. I believed Willis could certainly fall to the 2nd round (even though I was called crazy by some) but a lot of it hinged on his Senior Bowl practices and performance. He had an up and down 1st down but by most account he improved and killed it on the 2nd day. If that continues and he plays well in the actual game I doubt he'd last to the 2nd round.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I don't think he is. He's a good player, but not a game changer. Not an All Pro or even Pro Bowl level player at this point. Niners got a 1st for Buckner but IMO he was a much more established stud than Sweat is and that wasn't for a move up into the top 2.

IMO to move up to #2 or so it would probably take at least Sweat + our 2022 2nd rounder or our 2023 1st, especially if there's competition for moving up to that spot.

My thinking on this has changed a bit. I believed Willis could certainly fall to the 2nd round (even though I was called crazy by some) but a lot of it hinged on his Senior Bowl practices and performance. He had an up and down 1st down but by most account he improved and killed it on the 2nd day. If that continues and he plays well in the actual game I doubt he'd last to the 2nd round.

You really think the Michigan de and the Oregon de are that good. I think those two will be disappointing. I don't think they will be game changers. The Michigan guy played poorly against Georgia. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I feel like a lot of people are buying into the helium of the draft. Reminds me of last year with Jamie Newman. He was the toolsy developmental guy that some people thought would go as high as the third. Turns out he went undrafted and lasted about 3 weeks on an NFL offseason roster. Obviously someone like Willis is better, but I don't get the idea of trading up to get him when there's still a VERY good chance he doesn't even go in the first round at all. And if he does, he's still an extreme dice role type of guy that is far more likely to bust than boom.

Jamie Newman was nothing of the sort. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

Jamie Newman after not playing for a season went to the Senior Bowl and that was his big test -- he bombed it, Big F.

Willis, the opposite of that, he's killing it in the Senior Bowl.

Jamie doesn't have Willis' tools but even if he did -- Newman if anything helps make the point for Willis.  Newman was atrocious during the Senior Bowl week. 

• Like 3

Sign Trubisky....2 years, 14 mil (with incentives). 

Draft Willis......

Keep TH and turn him into a Taysom Hill after putting him on a Bryson DeChambeau protein diet all offseason where he bulks up to 235 lbs....all muscle. 

We have our 3 headed monster and rule the NFC.

God I love beer.

• Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

If we can't get a trade for a veteran Qb thats worth us taking us to the playoffs then I believe we will trade up in the draft to get that guy. Me personally before it's all said and done Malik Willis will be the first Qb off the board on draft day and I hope we get him. I think when it's all said and done with the combine etc... he will be the first QB taking just don't know what pick it will be.

7 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

If we can't get a trade for a veteran Qb thats worth us taking us to the playoffs then I believe we will trade up in the draft to get that guy. Me personally before it's all said and done Malik Willis will be the first Qb off the board on draft day and I hope we get him. I think when it's all said and done with the combine etc... he will be the first QB taking just don't know what pick it will be.

we won't need to trade up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Have you clicked on the 57.4mil number where it explains the impact of a trade. They only get 28.4mil dead cap from a trade, split differently if designated pre/post 1 June.

No! And interesting, I hadn’t realized that the base salary would come off their books if another team acquired the contract with the player. But good luck finding someone who will eat that $28.4m!

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No! And interesting, I hadn’t realized that the base salary would come off their books if another team acquired the contract with the player. But good luck finding someone who will eat that $28.4m!

I'm not sure you're getting it. He has a 28.4 mil dead cap hit if traded or released. If he's traded, the new team takes his 29 mil salary, Tennessee will still take the 28.4 mil hit. 

The 29 mil would count against Tennessee's cap if they cut him, but not traded him (unless they agreed to pay some of it)

22 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not sure you're getting it. He has a 28.4 mil dead cap hit if traded or released. If he's traded, the new team takes his 29 mil salary, Tennessee will still take the 28.4 mil hit. 

The 29 mil would count against Tennessee's cap if they cut him, but not traded him (unless they agreed to pay some of it)

No, I get it - well now at least. I failed to realize previously that the base salary came off the Titans books if he was traded - and I should have known that, it’s logical. What I was tying to say in the post you responded to is good luck finding a team that will trade for him and take on that contract. Would you want to pay him $29M?

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No, I get it - well now at least. I failed to realize previously that the base salary came off the Titans books if he was traded - and I should have known that, it’s logical. What I was tying to say in the post you responded to is good luck finding a team that will trade for him and take on that contract. Would you want to pay him $29M?

Would I? No. But he's a better QB than about 2/3 of the league has (not counting young guys). And 29 mil isn't elite money.

I mean, all this talk about people trading a 1st for for Jimmy G and he is signed for 25.6 mil.

• Thumb up 1