Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Be interesting to see how much truth there is to the Vikings moving up and what they intend to trade to do so.  Last I heard JJ desire to sign a new deal in Minny was tied to Kirk staying.  Obviously, they can use the tag but do you want to use it on a guy who may not want to experience growing pains with a rookie?

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

There are a ton of pretty well known stories in college football where he basically asked the coach to put the ball in his hands in tight games against better teams or go for 2 to win instead of kicking a field goal to tie? I assume thats what they mean. Brian Kelly and Herm Edwards have talked about it a bunch 

Yeah, I'd assume so too, and I posted that not to denigrate Daniels, but the scout. It's just a bad way to illustrate what makes someone special. Like calling someone thoughtful. Well, what are they otherwise? If a QB lacks poise, they wouldn't be a QB, eventually, especially at a big time school like LSU. It's a de rigueur kind of trait. If a guy doesn't play with poise or moxie, are you even going to continue scouting them in the first place? Probably not, so it's not worth noting other than box checking. Tell me about something he can do that others can't or he can do much better than others.  Whether it's go through progressions, on and off platform throws, tight window throwing, throwing consistently with anticipation, pocket awareness, examples of stellar leadership qualities in action, first in, last out, the Nacua factor etc. 

You tell me, moxie, or poise, then I assume that's part of why you aint a director of scouting anymore, because, well, you thought Danny Nickels was special, for instance. It's just a waste of time. I think Daniels has a lot of attributes, but whether he has moxie to the 10th or 9th degree is just silly to me. 

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

There are a ton of pretty well known stories in college football where he basically asked the coach to put the ball in his hands in tight games against better teams or go for 2 to win instead of kicking a field goal to tie? I assume thats what they mean. Brian Kelly and Herm Edwards have talked about it a bunch 

They tried to trade up last year. They apparently wanted Anthony Richardson badly but couldn't make it work. I wonder who they could be targeting this year? It was apparently Richardson's combine performance that sealed it for them

I think I was reading they wanted a Qb who could run as well as pass. They want the running element in there offense.  That the one thing Cousins could not do.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Be interesting to see how much truth there is to the Vikings moving up and what they intend to trade to do so.  Last I heard JJ desire to sign a new deal in Minny was tied to Kirk staying.  Obviously, they can use the tag but do you want to use it on a guy who may not want to experience growing pains with a rookie?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

They tried to trade up last year. They apparently wanted Anthony Richardson badly but couldn't make it work. I wonder who they could be targeting this year? It was apparently Richardson's combine performance that sealed it for them

They can't move up to the top 3, so I wonder what they're doing and who are they afraid of. I had assumed Penix Jr, McCarthy, and Nix would go later, are they worried they'll go inside the top 10? Odd to me. I can't see any of us top 3 sides trading down. I guess New England might, since they already have Mac Jones, so maybe they could decide to just throw another 2nd tier guy at the problem considering Mac was good in '21, but I doubt it. I don't think there's much chance any of the top 3 move down. 

4 hours ago, mojo said:

That's worrisome.  The last thing I want to see is another RG3 who was willing to get pounded to the turf in an effort to gain an extra yard.  I remember Gruden saying that was one of worst traits, thinking he could score a TD on every play.

Yeah, the fact that “sonic rings” hit above was after picking up a first down while up by 20?  I mean, have some awareness man.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't see how the Vikes move into the top 3. They're gonna have to settle for someone like Penix jr or Nix.

The Patriots could trade down. If the Vikings make a crazy offer, they can move down to 12 and still get McCarthy or Nix or someone

Edited by ThatNFLChick

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The Patriots could trade down. If the Vikings make a crazy offer, they can move down to 12 and still get McCarthy or Nix or someone

Mayo already flat out came out and said they're taking a QB top 3.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mayo already flat out came out and said they're taking a QB top 3.

He alluded to it "the best player at the most important position" but the draft is a long way away.  Maybe they end up liking someone later more? Or they get an offer they can't refuse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

You can’t trade picks 5 years in advance, so that’s obviously false.

Yep just about to say that, 3 years isn’t it.

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Anyway, it seems 100% certain that the Raiders are going to go after Jayden Daniels hard. I don't know how high they have to trade up but he and Antonio Pierce are super close and the people that Antonio are hiring for the Raiders are all very closely related to Daniels (plus the Devante and Crosby thing and him being in the Raiders locker room recently). I think the Giants really liked Maye, they did a massive amount of research on him. 

I think there will be a lot of movement closer to the draft for all these guys. The Vikings apparently tried really hard to move up for Anthony Richardson last year and I think they might try to make a move for someone this year too. 

IMO trading to #1 for Williams is the way for us to go, clearly the Bears control that.

I listed some of my personal biggest fears/worries for these guys earlier, guess I should do some of my biggest likes as well.

Williams – Pocket Maneuverability/Spatial Awareness

Dude has eyes in the back of his head. Just an incredible feel for pressure, almost a “spidey sense”. Maximizes that by being shifty and under control in the pocket. Short deliberate movements to take away angles instead of just picking a direction and running. He is going to be the poster child of making a free rusher whiff on everything. When comparing him to the other two, his pocket manipulation is just on another plane of existence, and I don’t even think the other guys are bad.

Maye – Ability to generate power sans platform.

Drake does not need his whole body to generate passes with zip. He can do it with just his arm. Much like Jordan Love, he can throw passes off his back foot all day and they will still have NFL needed velocity. That can be very difficult to stop as it potentially limits the impact of a blitzing defense.  I don’t think the other 2 can do that, at least not to the same extent. They at least need some torso/hip to generate high end zip.

Daniels – Consistent mechanics

Usually the uber athlete QBs have pretty terrible consistency when it comes to throwing mechanics, Jayden is the opposite. He seems to be very consistent. Even when he breaks the pocket, you can see the work to reset, realign and deliver a throw. His footwork is incredible at times too. He looks to me that he easily has the most consistent mechanics of the big 3.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He alluded to it "the best player at the most important position" but the draft is a long way away.  Maybe they end up liking someone later more? Or they get an offer they can't refuse. 

I do think that's possible. I tend to think McCarthy is the wild card for a value trade. Has the pedigree (4 star, highly recruited, top 6 in that class, successful college QB, ceiling lower for team objectives? otoh, Harbaugh did max out Luck), can make all the throws, is a young prospect, mobile. He could climb up the charts with a nice combine/pro day. I could see a slight chance, I suppose of a team falling in love with him, not so sure of Daniels and Maye, but I'm pretty skeptical (I tend to think that GM's basically have Williams 1, Maye or Daniels 2, Daniels sometimes 3 sometimes not, and if NE doesn't have Daniels 3 at QB, they could move down, and go after whomever they like better (I would imagine McCarthy or Penix Jr). 

But I still think its probably:

1. Williams 90%, Maye 10%

2. Maye 85% Daniels 15%

3. Daniels 75-80%, Maye 15%, something else 5-10%

Edited by The Consigliere

Long time lurker, first time posting...

It's very simple and no need to over think it. Williams will go #1 so he's out, Maye is our guy at #2,  hands down much higher ceiling than Daniel's. I don't care what  some former scout on Twitter or X has to say about there being questions about Drake Maye. Amazing how easily people get persuaded by internet bull****. 

Draft Drake Maye 

Hire Ben Johnson 

Win a bunch of games

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldskoolfan said:

Long time lurker, first time posting...

It's very simple and no need to over think it. Williams will go #1 so he's out, Maye is our guy at #2,  hands down much higher ceiling than Daniel's. I don't care what  some former scout on Twitter or X has to say about there being questions about Drake Maye. Amazing how easily people get persuaded by internet bull****. 

Draft Drake Maye 

Hire Ben Johnson 

Win a bunch of games

As they say, the simplest solution is often the best!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

As they say, the simplest solution is often the best!

I keep fluctuating on the chances, but in general I tend to think there's somewhere between about a 1 in 9 and a 1 in 35 chance that we don't take Maye, and most of that not Maye, is Williams if he inexplicably falls, it's not Daniels, but I leave a small chance of Daniels. 

At the end of the day, I think it's highly unlikely, really, really unlikely that we end up with a different QB than Maye 3 months from now. I'd be shocked. Really shocked. Then again the Guardians won the moronic MLB Lottery last month (and the Reds jumped along with them to the top of the board, both teams had sub-10% chance of doing what they did). So it could happen, I just am very, very confident of us ending up with Maye, the same way I was confident Young and Stroud would go top 3-5, or Lawrence 1 and another 2 QB's in the top 5, or 3 top 10 in 20. Anything other than Maye is probably in that 1 in 10 to 1 in 35 area to me. Which is part of the reason I get a little salty about talking about far out things, Id rather discuss trade up and trade down strategy with 2nds and 3rds and cohorts of players because lets be honest, anything could happen there, but at 2? 2 is very close to a lock. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I keep fluctuating on the chances, but in general I tend to think there's somewhere between about a 1 in 9 and a 1 in 35 chance that we don't take Maye, and most of that not Maye, is Williams if he inexplicably falls, it's not Daniels, but I leave a small chance of Daniels. 

At the end of the day, I think it's highly unlikely, really, really unlikely that we end up with a different QB than Maye 3 months from now. I'd be shocked. Really shocked. Then again the Guardians won the moronic MLB Lottery last month (and the Reds jumped along with them to the top of the board, both teams had sub-10% chance of doing what they did). So it could happen, I just am very, very confident of us ending up with Maye, the same way I was confident Young and Stroud would go top 3-5, or Lawrence 1 and another 2 QB's in the top 5, or 3 top 10 in 20. Anything other than Maye is probably in that 1 in 10 to 1 in 35 area to me. Which is part of the reason I get a little salty about talking about far out things, Id rather discuss trade up and trade down strategy with 2nds and 3rds and cohorts of players because lets be honest, anything could happen there, but at 2? 2 is very close to a lock. 

You're exactly right,  a possible "what if" scenario would be if someone traded up to #1 and grabbed Maye and if that happens then we get Williams.  I wouldn't cry about getting either one of those guys. I have a sneaky feeling that if Maye is going to participate at the combine he's going to crush it. With that said,  if someone trades up with Chicago 99.9% they're taking Williams 

Let me also add that I don't hate Daniels as a prospect,  he could very well come in and be the next great QB, he certainly has the dynamic talents to be special,  but his body type screams injury and short career. 

We all know the Vikings could not have offered 5 future 1s...  LOL  However, assuming the Pats are locked in to taking a QB at 3, what if the Vikes did come at the team with a payload - like 3 1s and 2 2s. Not saying they would do it, almost 100% certain they would not come close if thy offered at all. But what if they did? Do you jump on that? Take Nix or Penix or someonw else later?