Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

Watch the games. Stats can be easy liars. Especially when you’re in a shootout with your bad defense. 

I think you are not watching the games as a whole but only looking at Sam and picking on him for everything that has gone wrong with our D or the OL instead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

I think he can maybe become the Carr level type of QB. Personally I want more. 

That’s not what I mean. What do you expect to see from him? 

It kinda seems like you’re just prejudging him based on physical attributes vs. evaluating play, but that’s an assumption on my part and I’m sure there is more nuance than that.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s not what I mean. What do you expect to see from him? 

It kinda seems like you’re just prejudging him based on physical attributes vs. evaluating play, but that’s an assumption on my part and I’m sure there is more nuance than that.

Pretty much what we’re seeing. I wasn’t expecting much. He was a 5th round pick for a reason. Issues due to size are there. Not great speed. Good but not great arm. Pocket awareness issues. 

Really everything we saw in college is what we see every week. The way we’re seeing EB this year I don’t know expect him to stay around. Which means Sam has his 3rd offense in 3 years. The odds of him working out to being a top 10 QB is pretty much non existent. I’m full on tank for a QB mode at this point. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 2

7 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I think he can maybe become the Carr level type of QB. Personally I want more. 

Howell is faster and stronger than Carr. Today we just couldn't run the ball. I can't recall any boneheaded plays. His weakness is choosing the wrong primary read, which forces him to move through progression and that takes time. EB needs to help the young QB out with that.  

4 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Howell is faster and stronger than Carr. Today we just couldn't run the ball. I can't recall any boneheaded plays. His weakness is choosing the wrong primary read, which forces him to move through progression and that takes time. EB needs to help the young QB out with that.  

And not nearly as good from the pocket 

6 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Pretty much what we’re seeing. I wasn’t expecting much. He was a 5th round pick for a reason. Issues due to size are there. Not great speed. Good but not great arm. Pocket awareness issues. 

Really everything we saw in college is what we see every week. The way we’re seeing EB this year I don’t know expect him to stay around. Which means Sam has his 3rd offense in 3 years. The odds of him working out to being a top 10 QB is pretty much non existent. I’m full on tank for a QB mode at this point. 

I think he has a great arm, understands the assignments and has a mentality to go out and make plays. He has good running ability and he has a good football IQ.

I think he’s short and has trouble knowing when to say when and get rid of the ball at times.

I don’t think this is stuff that can’t be corrected. 

I’m not sure where I stand on Howell at the moment as far as where his ceiling is from a QB ranking aspect, but it’s higher than the mid way point.

The goal is always to get the best you can, so going after someone blue chip is always smart if you can get there without a mortgage.

Did Drake Maye or Caleb Williams wow you last night? They’re both clearly talented. Both clearly struggled against the most talented defenses they’ve seen this year. Williams especially. 

I don’t think that eliminates them from “blue chip” contention. It’s just that all these guys have some issues to work around and none are the auto savior.

If Howell plays this way the whole season I’d be more inclined to shore up the OL and evaluate for another year. 

If we need to get another QB, then at least we have a coach/GM in place, they have had a chance to evaluate and we have given time to adequately address the OL.

Throwing another young QB behind this line isn’t going to help us.

17 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Im guessing you went to duke, but if we get a high pick its probably going to spent on a tackle

This feels abnormal. I dont think I've seen a first-year QB look so impressive at times with his arm and accuracy but take so many sacks, typically interceptions are the downfall of young QBs but the amount of sacks Sam takes is obnoxious.  

Unfortunately for Sam he probably has this year only to impress so whatever he has to do to get that internal clock fixed it should be his main focus.  

I felt like I learned more about Howell in this game than I did in all the throw happy blowouts.

Generally, I was happy. He made a lot of good choices.

He threw some balls away (or at least tried to) which is important for him.

He had a rushing attempt where he slid after getting the 1st.

Gotta help protect him from himself w/ the sacks tho. He would have taken 10 today if we didn't have our commitment to the run game. That part of Howell's game felt especially rough today. It was super noticeable.

57 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This feels abnormal. I dont think I've seen a first-year QB look so impressive at times with his arm and accuracy but take so many sacks, typically interceptions are the downfall of young QBs but the amount of sacks Sam takes is obnoxious.  

Unfortunately for Sam he probably has this year only to impress so whatever he has to do to get that internal clock fixed it should be his main focus.  

Well Sam last I looked lead the league in interceptable passes but that was over a week ago. Had a couple against Chicago that wasnt picked. Didnt see any this week though

Here are Sam’s stats to date. You don’t scout based on box score or stats but fix the sacks issue and we have a QB. I’d say he’s a top 15 guy right now already. Not top 10 but top half of the league. It’s been a while since we had even that. He’s got a lot more room to improve as well.

IMG_0262.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Well Sam last I looked lead the league in interceptable passes but that was over a week ago. Had a couple against Chicago that wasnt picked. Didnt see any this week though

I thought you don't use stats because they are misleading (your quote not mine).  

Just curious where do you stand on the other young QBs in the league (Pickett, Ridder, Purdy, Young, Stroud, and Richardson).  Howell has played better than every single one of them except Purdy and Stroud (and not by much).  Stroud lost to Atlanta last week and Purdy looked dazed and confused today.  Stroud is the only one I would trade Howell for.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

Penix is going to be a better NFL Qb than Williams. 

Maybe, dude certainly looked great yesterday but my God his injury history is scary

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sam has one significant flaw: he doesn’t know when it’s time to bail.  Sometimes he bails too early, often too late.  

This is coachable.  Hell learn.

Everything else is going to fall into place.  

Exactly!!! Once he learns incompletions are better than sacks and gets a decent oline in front of him I think he has potential to be better than Carr, way better.  Obviously it's still early but his flaws are coachable 

5 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Pickett

Trash

Ridder

Trash

Young

Might be ok but was really turned off by his size. Doesnt have Kylers mobility so im terrified hes going to explode into 1000 pieces

6 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Stroud

Liked him. Has done better than expected. Needs to be close to his physical abilities to be a chance to be great. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Richardson

Elite prospect. Has everything you want. Seems to get injured a ton. Time will tell. 

Id rather swing and miss on elite tier prospects than settle for middle of the road and waste the next 6 years on a guy that needs everything to break right. The Carr Kirk Tannehill tier has won absolutely nothing of note. They do nothing but sit you in purgatory. Playing better in year 1-2 is almost meaningless to me. 

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Watch the games. Stats can be easy liars. Especially when you’re in a shootout with your bad defense. 

I promise you I’ve watched every snap. I’m extremely pleased with what I am seeing from Sam. Not perfect - but he’s just finished his 7th career start. He’s ahead of what I’d hoped for at this point.

• Like 1

Sorry. I dont see an elite player. I want elite. I dont want a Carr level QB which everything Sam is showing me to be. And if we have a brand new full staff. I want them to pick their own high end QB. I cant see them taking on the previous tiers QB who would be on their 3rd system in 3 years 

Edited by Stihl89