Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I’ve been watching quite a bit of UNC film today and last night. 1 thing that has stuck out to me is that UNCs play caller really called a lot of long developing routes even though teams would blitz, blitz, and more blitz. It’s weird because the blitz beater route that was used the most was the quick out, and that is a throw that Maye struggled to throw accurately, consistently. 

These teams would keep blitzing and the play caller would not adjust. He really did Maye a disservice. 

UNCs o line was not that bad, there were a couple times a game that someone would get beat and would lead to a quick pressure, but that happens to every team. I think it was the play calling that hindered UNCs offense more than the line. They got blitzed hard, but for the most part gave Maye time, the problem was that the coordinator wouldn’t call enough blitz beaters.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think one clue as to the direction theyre likely to go is that our GM told one of those two quarterbacks last year that he sucks.

Ha, ha Peter's essentially told him he was Sam Howell (5th rounder)

3 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Im gullible, is this a real rumor or just run of the mill ES shenanigans?!?!

Dude on the radio said his sons friend told him that he was told by some other guy (seriously, thats the rumor lol) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude on the radio said his sons friend told him that he was told by some other guy (seriously, thats the rumor lol) 

It's like TMZ Washington.... did someone hire that same foreign group that Snyder sued over the Epstein rumors?!

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It was EB from the Sports Junkies who is literally the least reliable and credible of a group full of unreliable "reporters."

I mean I don't doubt that his son's friend told him that. But his son's friend is probably full of crap.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It’s also gamesmanship by Daniels camp. They will claim he didn’t want to go to Washington and that’s why he wasn’t the 2nd overall pick. 

I have very little doubt that Peters told him he is essentially a college only player and at best a 5th round pick. Time will certainly prove that to be true. Howell will be holding a clipboard on an NFL sideline long after Daniels is out of the NFL.

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s also gamesmanship by Daniels camp. They will claim he didn’t want to go to Washington and that’s why he wasn’t the 2nd overall pick. 

I have very little doubt that Peters told him he is essentially a college only player and at best a 5th round pick. Time will certainly prove that to be true. Howell will be holding a clipboard on an NFL sideline long after Daniels is out of the NFL.

Only you and Eric Bickle would take anything of value from this lmao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

QBs are highly considered for the most part.  It's considered a good draft for the spot by almost every mock draft type -- ditto leaks from scouts, etc.

I think it feels negative because the Maye-Daniels debate is polarizing with fans.  So we got to hear over and over again about these QBs perceived flaws.

I posted last week some scout takes on both QBs.  And 2 out of three were gushing about how special they are.

Daniels just needed to do three things for me to be buying:

#1 Not wait 5 years to be explosively productive as a starter, breakout age at that level matters.

#2 Have a ton of evidence that throwing at all levels, with anticipation consistently. 

#3 not have one of the worst pressure to sack ratios ever.

He failed on all 3 counts, although according to some, 2 might be open to interpretation. I don't agree w/the argument that he was whatevs until last year, but he didn't have a special college season until his fifth season and that matters, he was solid to good, and then he figured it out in year 5, that to me is more alarming than actually good. 

So I am on the negative train. It's not hard, at least to me anyway, see why Maye looks a lot better, whats hard is to figure out why so many of these guys prefer daniels. Why are they ignoring point 1, 2 and 3? Bryce Young went #1 last year and was #1 on a ton of boards, it wasn't only the panthers that were idiots. Pickett was the only guy the NFL, not just Pittsburgh, the NFL as well ever considered a first round worthy pick, most of us knew that was idiotic at the time, and we were proven right. In '21 nobody would have guessed that Lawrence would suck, but a lot of people were fooled by Wilson (not me and not most of you on the board), Lance (sorta me), Fields (definitely me) and Mac Jones who had some top 3 overall hype and just went for a 6th rounder just 3 years later. In '20 they had Herbert a hard #3, and he was basically the best of the lot through 3 years (though I think Burrow has hit the highest highs). In '19 they tried to fool us with Danny Dimes and nearly every fan knew that was bull----, even the dumbest ones. In '18 I was wrong on Rosen, but so was the rest of the league, same with Darnold, they let Lamar fall to the end of round 1 and he was easily a top 2 pick in retrospect.

I don't really care what NFL brass think, they are idiots just like us with this stuff and there is no reason to trust their process. They aren't any good at this either. Go back even further and the whole NFL had Trubisky ahead of Watson and Mahomes for the most part, a year earlier one very average guy went #1 overall and 1 mega bust neck and neck w/him went 2. In the '13-'14 crap drafts somehow Bortles went high, and Carr went much later, EJ Manuel who everyone knew would bust except the Bills, just like earlier FSU fraud Ponder, also went mid first, the '11 litany of dog ---- after Cam Newton? Most fans weren't sold on ANY of them.

I just dont buy the idea that we should trust these guys. They suck at evaluating QB's just like everyone else. There is no evidence to speak of that they can pick these guys better than idiot fans, and smart fans. None. 

So when I see key data points being ignored, while big flashy FIFTH YEAR season is being hyped to all hell? I'm suspicious as hell that we're all being taken to stupid town yet again, like so many fan bases have been forever by these FO's and like we have a couple times ourselves with Haskins and Campbell and Shuler. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

... the Giants are seriously considering taking a quarterback in the first round of this year's draft. The real mystery is whether one they like will be available at pick No. 6.

If not, they would have to trade up. And they might be willing to do that. But only if the right quarterback is still available.

And the quarterback who might tempt them to do that is North Carolina's Drake Maye.

He is the prospect who could most entice the Giants to make a blockbuster move up from No. 6, according to multiple NFL sources familiar with the Giants' thinking. With USC's Caleb Williams almost certain to be taken by the Chicago Bears at No. 1, the 21-year-old Maye is believed by many around the NFL to be the next quarterback on the Giants' list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't really care what NFL brass think, they are idiots just like us...

Woah, woah, woah... it's not like we are Cowpuke fans or something 🤷

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I just dont buy the idea that we should trust these guys. They suck at evaluating QB's just like everyone else. There is no evidence to speak of that they can pick these guys better than idiot fans, and smart fans. None. 

So when I see key data points being ignored, while big flashy FIFTH YEAR season is being hyped to all hell? I'm suspicious as hell that we're all being taken to stupid town yet again, like so many fan bases have been forever by these FO's and like we have a couple times ourselves with Haskins and Campbell and Shuler. 

if you think your criteria is better to judge than how others might see it -- aren't you saying you are better at picking QBs than they would be -- as opposed to what you say which is that its a wash between professional scouts and average fans as to picking QBs.

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Only you and Eric Bickle would take anything of value from this lmao 

By all accounts Peters is a great talent evaluator. Daniels completely sucked as an NFL prospect every single year of his 5 year college career with the exception of this past year. Peters telling him to stay in school as a favor to Auyik is completely reasonable. Peters having a 5th round grade on Daniels regardless is also reasonable.

Daniels sucks man. You know it. Do you honestly think he will ever finish an NFL season with his playing style and size? Come on man. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

... the Giants are seriously considering taking a quarterback in the first round of this year's draft. The real mystery is whether one they like will be available at pick No. 6.

If not, they would have to trade up. And they might be willing to do that. But only if the right quarterback is still available.

And the quarterback who might tempt them to do that is North Carolina's Drake Maye.

He is the prospect who could most entice the Giants to make a blockbuster move up from No. 6, according to multiple NFL sources familiar with the Giants' thinking. With USC's Caleb Williams almost certain to be taken by the Chicago Bears at No. 1, the 21-year-old Maye is believed by many around the NFL to be the next quarterback on the Giants' list.

God I will puke if we draft Daniels and Giants trade up to 3 for Maye. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

God I will puke if we draft Daniels and Giants trade up to 3 for Maye. 

That's the nightmare scenario. You just know Daniels will get hurt and be out of the league in less than 5 years while Maye will be Eli 2.0 but with a stronger arm and more athleticism.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I want Maye. Be OK with Daniels.  I don't want the Giants to get either one.  Actually McCarthy either.  

If we get Maye I have no fear of anything. Maye is gonna run this division for the next decade.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If we get Maye I have no fear of anything. Maye is gonna run this division for the next decade.

lol, I've spent more time than I should selling Maye.  But I am never 100% confident of any prospect -- certainly not at that level. :ols:

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I've spent more time than I should selling Maye.  But I am never 100% confident of any prospect -- certainly not at that level. :ols:

Its a new era. The Cowboys are on the way down and will enter a mass rebuild soon. Eagles are going all in for this year but will fade out soon as their old core retires and the Hurts contract comes into effect. The Giants are a complete non factor unless they also hit on a QB. 

Its lining up perfectly for us. And we are freaking due after 30+ years in the desert.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a new era. The Cowboys are on the way down and will enter a mass rebuild soon. Eagles are going all in for this year but will fade out soon as their old core retires and the Hurts contract comes into effect. The Giants are a complete non factor unless they also hit on a QB. 

Its lining up perfectly for us. And we are freaking due after 30+ years in the desert.

We've not arguably had a consistently top 10 QB since Sonny.  I have as high hopes as anyone on Maye, I've been pushing him so much its taking me out of watching as many prospects as I typically do for the draft thread.  I find myself cramming like crazy as we do the board's mock draft -- and that's been good for me been catching up. :ols:

But as we know -- no college QB is 100% fool proof for the pros.  And surprises happen.   Heck for all we know Penix might end up the best QB in this class. So i am not rooting for the Giants to get their own lottery ticket -- and just assume Daboll who helped developed Josh Allen is an idiot or whatever.  Granted he might be.  But we don't know. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We've not arguably had a consistently top 10 QB since Sonny.  I have as high hopes as anyone on Maye, I've been pushing him so much its taking me out of watching as many prospects as I typically do for the draft thread.  I find myself cramming like crazy as we do the board's mock draft -- and that's been good for me been catching up. :ols:

But we no college QB is 100% fool proof for the pros.  And that also goes for all these guys. Surprises happen.   Heck for all we know Penix might end up the best QB in this class. So i am not rooting for the Giants to get their own lottery ticket -- and just assume Daboll who helped developed Josh Allen is an idiot or whatever.  Granted he might be.  But we don't know. 

Well that's no way to live!

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But as we know -- no college QB is 100% fool proof for the pros.  And surprises happen.   Heck for all we know Penix might end up the best QB in this class. So i am not rooting for the Giants to get their own lottery ticket -- and just assume Daboll who helped developed Josh Allen is an idiot or whatever.  Granted he might be.  But we don't know. 

Joey T had about a 5 year run when he was elite. Went to back to back Super Bowls and was league MVP. Joe Gibbs just got him too late in his career. 

• Like 3