Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On just gut instinct, I like Daniels but feel they will draft Maye.

I feel Daniels has the instinct, work ethic, and makes those around him better. Hitting WRs in stride and keeps his eyes down field… the game moves slow for him. He will win games. 

Maye is younger and sturdier and has more of those middle throws, so seems more safe. A more confident draft pick. My worry is that he’s just another “just good enough to lose” in the big games. There are a lot of those guys over the years. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jumbo said:

The deeper I've dived, the more arguments I've parsed and am still parsing, the more I want Maye.

I don't have any new, or overpoweringly persuasive, points to make.

But if I decide to get my own podcast you can be sure I'll make some up, regardless of merit. 👍 

There's beauty in simplicity, Jumbo. As a fellow one-time professional Analytics Person, I know you can appreciate that. 100 cuts of data can say 100 different things, but often times it nets out to first principles:

Take the younger, bigger guy with prototypical traits and a playing style that will age like wine over the older, smaller guy with questionable traits and a playing style that could age like milk.

Maybe not an exact comp but Simpson's Paradox comes to mind:

Simpsons_paradox_-_animation.gif

• Like 3

Looks like in terms of Top 30 visits Jayden and Penix are still the only QBs who has a confirmed visits w/ us. I expect that to change at some point, but they are clearly taking their dear sweet time in that department.

Also interested to see who the Patriots are looking at (don't want some guys leaking their way to the Giants) Cherry picking, they have visits set up w/ Jayden, Drake and JJ and I have seen reports of Bo Nix as well.

I don't think JD has actually met w/ anybody Top 30 wise yet. The Giants met w/ Maye in house already, I think that is the only one he has actually completed.

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

God tier trivia question for the future.

Lets face it, all the other QB numbers we have used over the last 20 years or so are destined for the ring of honor and retirement. 0 about the only one still available.

Breer, Albright, Pauline, Schefter, Keim, some of the PFF guys albiet the PFF guys like Maye better feeling Daniels more likely going at #2 and some powerweights on the other side like @Voice_of_Reason, the ex-scout who Grant-Danny talked to yesterday, and that Internet guy who didn't give his name but states he works for an NFL team saying its going to be Maye.

Personally, I am rooting that its Maye but won't hate it if its Daniels.  I'd say right now going purely by scuttlebutt I'd say 55% chance Daniels.  45% chance Maye.  10% chance McCarthy.  3 weeks more of torture. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Sounds like Schefty is about where Keim is.

He probably hears enough from around the league that you would think the average team would mirror it and lean towards Daniels, but not enough from the right places (the team itself) that you can lock it in w/ all confidence.

I can live with that, and feel good about that.

I don't have JD and Maye separated by a lot if anything myself so I don't discount the idea that its a hard choice.

Remember a few weeks ago when Schefter went on Pat’s show and said Washington might jump in on Cousins?

That was like a month ago.

It might be very true we pick Daniels at 2, and I’d be fine with it.

It’s also possible Daniel’s agent, just like Kirk’s before him, is wiring money into Schefter’s Swiss Bank Account to get him to say these things.

I have this bizarre dichotomy going on at the moment.  I really would be happy with either Maye or Daniels.  I lean Maye more because I like his style of play more, it’s more my thing.  But both could be great.  

But I like both and if Peters/Quinn/Kliff/Newmark etc think Daniels is the best option, I’m not going to second guess it.

At the same time I desperately want the entire media draft apparatus to look like the freaking morons they are and have Daniels drop to 5 if not lower.   

I do think if we don’t pick him, he’s not going 3.  I truly think if we don’t pick him, the patriots trade out and the Vikings (mistakenly) will pick McCarthy.  Arizona might go back and forth but I think they’ll just pick Harrison.  That puts Daniels at 5.

I am rooting for chaos.  Because as Lord Bailish taught us years ago, chaos is a ladder.  (Until you get your throat cut with a Valerian Steel Dagger by a faceless assassin. Spoilers for Game and thrones from 5 years ago)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

JD released a message thru the Players Tribune. Covers a lot about his life and journey.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jayden-daniels-lsu-football-nfl

Touches on his grandparents, his relationship w/ football (Passed down thru family and Dad was a D1 corner), what he went thru at HS and both colleges.

Not a lot in terms of on the field stuff, just a look into his mindset. He did explain his relationship w/ Herm Edwards in detail tho, and I thought that was interesting. He really valued the human aspect of HE, and I feel like that is something he can get from DQ here as well.

"Man, that’s my dog. I’m not even kidding. There’s almost nothing I can say that could ever do justice to that relationship. He looked out for me. I used to sit up in his office, and he used to just talk to me about anything … life lessons about the NFL and stuff like that. He’s somebody who’s coached and played at the highest level, and is also human too. He was real about the stuff he’s been through. Listening to his stories…. I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything. After my grandparents passed, I remember he was the first person who called me. He was like, “I know football is your thing, but really take this time with your family.” He said, “I don’t even want you to come back to school right now. Take care of you.” He knew how important my grandparents were to me. And he told me it was O.K. to be selfish, in a way, to care of my mental health."

Also saw what Herm told him when he chose to move on was interesting as well

"“If there’s nothing there, you always got a spot with me.”"

There are also snippets of how he interacts w/ others and how he views himself

"Just getting invited would have been a huge honor no matter what. But I’m not afraid to admit, I wanted the Heisman. One thing that I think gets overlooked sometimes is that dog and that competitive edge in me. People don’t really get to see that side because of who I am as a person. I’m more reserved. I’m calm, I’m quiet. But I’m very competitive. I don’t back down from anything or anybody. So I worked hard for it, and I hoped God would meet my effort with a blessing."

Bit of insight, but its a decent length read.

I read it.    I've had a mixed vibe about his personality.

Everything being equal i am not a fan of the shy introverts as QBs -- am more of the Peyton and Brady type fans who like that style of leadership.  I swallowed it though with Sam.   Also it annoys me how much he likes to talk abut his work ethic which he does so again in that letter.   People that have strong work ethics from my experience don't have to constantly brag about it, it makes you wonder a little on that count considering his coaches have alluded to this work ethic is something that kicked in -- in a big way last off season.    Though he explains in the letter he had it sooner than that.

And the stories about his mom come off weird.  Ditto the Riddick segment who loves him but also said he's being deal with personal issues that he's almost through and recently came out of his shell.  Also didn't love his lame excuse for not weighing himself at the combine by saying it would take attention away from his teammates.  All weird to me.

But the letter he comes off mostly well to me.  Very thoughtful.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer, Albright, Pauline, Schefter, Keim, some of the PFF guys albiet the PFF guys like Maye better feeling Daniels more likely 2 and some powerweights on the other side like @Voice_of_Reason, the ex-scout who Grant-Danny talked to yesterday, and that Internet guy who didn't give his name but states he works for an NFL team saying its Maye.

Personally, I am rooting that its Maye but won't hate it if its Daniels.  I'd say right now going purely by scuttlebutt I'd say 55% chance Daniels.  45% chance Maye.  10% chance McCarthy.  3 weeks more of torture. :ols:

Unless Peters has all of a sudden started talking to people and telling them what he thinks, nobody knows anything. The dot connecting could be massively pushed by the agent community or other teams putting out self-serving misinformation. 

I am going to maintain I think it’s lying season.  

My guess all along has been Maye.  I’m not going to change that.  But I’ve also said all along it’s just a guess based on the type of QB Quinn/Kliff/Peters have had success with, and the type of QB which best fits the ability to push the ball down the middle of the field.  

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong because they see the dual threat nature of Daniels as a bigger weapon than elite arm talent.  I hope they’re right.  

I’d be thrilled with both.

I want the media to be wrong.  More than me being right or wrong, I want the media to be wrong.  🤪 because I despise the media.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remember a few weeks ago when Schefter went on Pat’s show and said Washington might jump in on Cousins?

Yup.

One thing to keep in mind with these media types is they're media in the internet age.  They thrive on clicks, and accuracy is less important than getting out the next tidbit.  As long as you're batting at least like, 30%, they've created a skinner box for us all.

Is it possible we're in on JD and they've all got info about it?  I suppose (though that would require leakers from inside the org).

Is it possible they know nothing and are just passing on random tidbits from 3rd parties?  Yes.

Is it possible they know nothing but are right about JD anyway?  Also yes.

A smokescreen would be indistinguishable from a lack of smokescreen atm.

9 hours ago, redskinss said:

Daniels was good all 5 years in college now huh.

Guess by next week maye will have footwork to make Mohammed Ali green with jealousy

And J.J. F.....the pooch his 2 years. 

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

🤪 because I despise the media.  

I recall.  You were the only person if I recall who complained about the WP stories trashing Dan Snyder and wanted them to stop.  So that's intense.  

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless Peters has all of a sudden started talking to people and telling them what he thinks

Nope as to Peters.   I gather their impressions are based on sentiments from the players camps.  Your point is you think they are all being played.  Maybe.  With Keim his take and he's flat out said this isn't based on Peters.  But based on talking to numerous coaches about the players, and they all told him the same thing.  I know you think they are manipulating Keim, you can simply see the forrest for the trees and he can't so the poor naive sap can't read through it.  I doubt it but will see. 

I've listened to a ton of people on the draft for months.  And I've noticed with some of them the shift from Maye to Daniels as to whom they expect this team to take.  Not just Keim.  Heck at the combine the PFF guys who were there shifted from Maye to Daniels based on what they were hearing within days of being there. And no its not because they prefer Daniels.  It might hurt you learn that the PFF are arguably by a mile the most pro Maye people in the draft community. 😎

Schefter, Keim, Breer are no clowns.  i can't recall when all three were wrong at the same time about the same thing.   then you got Albright who is often right.  And Pauline who is hit and miss.

Having said all that, I abslolutely believe they haven't decided so even if all this is true today it might not be true tomorrow considering its an ongoing process and they are still deciding.  Also I haven't heard anything from any of these guys saying that it won't be Maye.  I've heard some that it won't be McCarthy at #2.  But nothing that rules out Maye.

What do I personally think?  It's just a guess based on scuttlebutt that its neck and neck with them between Daniels and Maye.  Only way they take McCarthy is in a trade down.  There are some stragglers who think its McCarthy but no one I trust has said it yet.  Also just from past drafts, I tend to trust the scuttlebutt in the last 2 weeks closer to the draft.  That's when for example the we want Haskins stuff became much hotter among other things. And by that i don't mean I trust every rumor.  But if Kem, Breer, and Schefter all sort of feel the same way in a week or so from now or better yet even closer to the draft, I'd think it has a decent shot of coming true.

So the way I see it now, is there is nothing to panic on this.  But yeah if I hear these same reporters converging on this same point closer to the draft.  I would at a minimum brace yourself that its at least a serious possibility.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Is it possible we're in on JD and they've all got info about it?  I suppose (though that would require leakers from inside the org).

I don't think any of these guys who have been saying we are leaning towards JD have claimed to have information from our team. Not that I have seen anyway. Most of them go out of their way to let us know that our brass is being airtight, or to let us know that they are not 100% confident in the info.

From what I can gather, anyone who made some kind of attempt to cite their sources went with the line of thinking that when polling the rest of the league, the selection is JD over Maye by some significant margin. Enough so, that you would think the average NFL team (that would be us) would probably align with said consensus big board.

The only person who claims to have inside info is that un-named former NFL exec from Twitter who somehow has the scoop on what multiple teams are going to do and totally has a girlfriend in Canada... and Keim when he specifically says JJ at 2 is seriously unlikely. That has to come from a team source.

Edited by FootballZombie

11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Apparently Pat McAfee is right that you need to have vision to see the potential with Drake Maye judging by the mountain of obfuscation and bull**** that's piled up on him over the past four months.  But I still don't understand why it takes any vision at all to see it with him.  It took me 30 minutes of watching him to realize how special he was.  He is so unbelievably easy to see coming that I simply don't understand how so many people are missing on him.  The only guys who have been easier to see coming since Andrew Luck came out are Caleb, Burrow, and Lawrence.  He is a thousand times easier to see coming than Josh Allen and Justin Herbert were, and the fact that those two ended up being mega-hits and offer such easy comparisons for Maye makes Maye a true no-brainer.

Yeah, I've seen folks say Maye's UNC tape is better than Herebrt's was at Oregon. In a redraft, Herbert would go before Tua for sure.  In about five years, I'd bet that Drake would go above Daniels in a redraft, if Daniels ends up being the pick at 2.

• Like 1

I think it'll be interesting to see how far Daniels falls if we don't take him.  I could easily see NE and NYG passing on him too.  And I don't think MIN would trade up for him.

I'm sure that's the scenario the Raiders are hoping for, and plan to trade up with TEN or ATL.

6 minutes ago, TheBigJourney said:

No he is not often right, he’s wildly inaccurate with everything that’s not Broncos related.

He's gotten Quinn among other rumors about other teams.  But if you want to shoot him down that's cool, he's far from in my top 3. 

The three I mentioned as the power weights are Keim, Schefter, Breer.  And if by chance you don't think so, that's cool, I don't care.

• Like 1

On another note listened to Chris Simms yesterday talk about Maye's proday.  That dude is likely going to either be hailed as a genius about Maye or a fool because man that dude doesn't play it in the middle.

I know there are some others like Warner, Berkert, some mock drafters who are somewhat down about Maye.  But Simms takes it up a few pegs.

Simms was trashing his proday, doubling down how he's the 6th best QB in this draft class.  

8 hours ago, TheBigJourney said:

Schefter is the law. He said they’re taking Daniels. Cry harder.

He said the signs are pointing to J.D. Like Keim sources, coaches or... from around the league. Just like the It's been Maye all the way talk. When Schefter or Keim say we are taking one of them, I will start to believe them. The cat has not been let out of the bag yet. Different front office this time around is what I am believing. No decision till there is one.

Edited by skinsfan66