Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

Please VOR, don't sugarcoat it. Tell us how you truly feel. Lol.

HTTR!

That was the toned down, censored, family friendly version. 

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

There are gobs of reason in this post. :)

han solo finn GIF by Star Wars

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Everybody talks about Josh Allen, but Allen was a unicorn. I've never seen a qb improve like he did. But it's possible.

It's a humility thing.  He had the presence of mind to see that there were issues to solve, trusted the right people, went to Biometrics, and got it sorted out.  There's certainly an intelligence component to it, too -- you have to be able to understand what you're being asked to do, why it's important, and follow the stops to fix it -- but the big thing is you can't be an egomaniac about it.  You're not perfect.  You're not a finished product, and the game is constantly evolving.  If you're going to be any good at all, you'll be learning new things your entire career.

Willingness and ability to change.  As I said in my last post, I see more of that in Daniels than Maye, but that's based on very little info (cuz 100% of what I'm talking about takes place behind the scenes).  It also doesn't help that they're selling themselves to teams right now, so a lot of what we DO see could easily be baloney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Funny. Everyone said we were taking Daniels after Mariota was signed. Driskel is a carbon copy of Maye as far as body type and play style goes. :)

I think you're onto something...

Jeff Driskel

Height: 6' 4"

Weight: 231 lbs

40 time: 4.56

Hand size: 9 3/4"

Interesting guy...

Favorite Movie: American Psycho

Favorite Song: Baby Shark

Favorite Food:  Fried Taters with mustard

Favorite Celebrity: Kylie Jenner

If you could be anyone in history who would you choose and why? Peter Pan, because he never grew old.

If you didn't play football what would you do with your life? Breed pit bulls with Kylie Jenner and open a combination attack dog school and veterinary clinic.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jags said:

It's a humility thing.  He had the presence of mind to see that there were issues to solve, trusted the right people, went to Biometrics, and got it sorted out.  There's certainly an intelligence component to it, too -- you have to be able to understand what you're being asked to do, why it's important, and follow the stops to fix it -- but the big thing is you can't be an egomaniac about it.  You're not perfect.  You're not a finished product, and the game is constantly evolving.  If you're going to be any good at all, you'll be learning new things your entire career.

Willingness and ability to change.  As I said in my last post, I see more of that in Daniels than Maye, but that's based on very little info (cuz 100% of what I'm talking about takes place behind the scenes).  It also doesn't help that they're selling themselves to teams right now, so a lot of what we DO see could easily be baloney.

I saw your previous post. I just don't think I've seen or read anything (and my exposure is limited too) in Maye's personality to suggest he's not humble or thinks he's perfect or a finished product. He seems like he's very confident in his capabilities but not to the point of arrogance, and comes across as a pretty down to earth guy. 

Peyton told the Colts that if they didn't pick him, he'd spend the next 15 years kicking their butts. That didn't mean he was arrogant, thought he was god's gift to QBs, didn't have anything to learn or improve on and was untouchable. Just that he's confident in himself.

(And, as you noted, there's a fair amount of "sales" going on at this point as well)

Edited by mistertim

21 minutes ago, Jags said:

ability to change

Wanted to hit on this a bit more.

Ability to change is a big part for determining what a guy can become when moving from the college to the NFL. Without talking to a prospect, or buying into possible baloney being sold from those who's sole intent is to sell ice to Eskimos, the ability to change and the work put in to make it happen shows up on film.

Teams really value the prospects that demonstrate the ability to grow and penalize those that regress.

No one is guaranteed to reach their potential, most people never do, but if I can see a prospect tangibly grow and improve over time, it is certainly easier to put faith in a guy that he will eventually reach his limits.

If I have to instead wonder why a guy didn't improve, or even regressed, that is a much more convoluted projection.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of said:

Simms is one of the very best in the business. As an analyst he's as smart and incisive as his father.

(Don't check my previous posts on the matter.)

He is so accomplished that Kyle Shanahan has Chris Simms’ initials tattooed on his ankle. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

New PFN article:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-rumors-jayden-daniels-drake-maye-debate-might-be-over/

NFL Draft Rumors: The Jayden Daniels-Drake Maye Debate Might Be Over

People around the NFL reportedly believe Jayden Daniels is the second-best QB in the 2024 NFL Draft, and that Drake Maye isn't particularly close.

Read the article and this is clickbait

• Confused 1

There are certain sources where you can bet on the information being clickbait, out of context, or outright false:

-JPAFootball/NFL Rums/Dov Kleiman/other aggregate accounts

-Benjamin Allbright 

-PFN

-Blue checkmark accounts with under 10K followers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I talked to 6 NFL executives from the NY Giants and they all said Washington should trade down to 6 with the NY Giants and not take the guy the Giants want at 2." - Albert Breer, probably

• Haha 4

I am a Maye > Daniels guy.  But for me its close.   The fanboy stuff for Daniels especially on twitter turns me off some.  But getting past that, I'd be happy with both.

As for McCarthy, i do buy he's likely going top 5.  Hoffman going from man crush of Daniels and then Maye and now to McCarthy is a tough listen for me.  I had to turn him off today.  :ols:

I see Bullock has gone on that same journey, Daniels to Maye and now to McCarthy.

I don't get it.  it's fine to like whomever but how many shifts can one person make?  Comes off that they should be watching more before launching hard with an opinion considering change after change when the season has been over for months.

McCarthy is the least enticing of the three for me.  But wouldn't hate him either.  for me to be sold on McCarthy I'd want to see him use his legs more.  He looks fast but he doesn't run a heck of a lot. I'd want to change that for him in the pros.  For me to be excited about McCarthy i'd like to see him more as a dual threat considering he has that potential.

As to the Daniels being considered above Maye rap.   I do buy that some see it that way.   That has been Keim's main reason as to why now he thinks its more likely to be Daniels.  He more or less is saying with the sources he trusts coaching-personnel, Daniels has been considered a clear peg above Maye with enough of them that he thinks that likely might seep into this FO's thinking. 

Keim wasn't saying peer pressure will effect this team.  But his point seemed to be it doesn't seem super close when he talks to people he knows around the league where Daniels has a clear advantage.    So he is guessing Peters might see it the same way.

Will see.  3.5 weeks more of the torture.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to the Daniels being considered above Maye rap.   I do buy that some see it that way.

I do as well. His running ability is lethal. And he is more developed than Maye. As he should be with 5 years of playing time. I think Maye has the higher potential upside though. It comes down to patience imo. Josh Harris has shown it so far. If they believe Maye will end up the better QB eventually I would expect them pick him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I share those same positives and negatives as you do when it comes to Penix. Though one other thing that would worry me a bit is how well he'd deal with being behind a mediocre OL where he gets pressured a fair amount. At Washington he was behind the best OL in the nation and didn't get pressured very often. Then when Michigan was able to get pretty consistent pressure against him in the championship game, he looked bad.

Now, I get that most QBs look worse when they're under duress in general. But to me it was a very stark contrast, so I'm concerned that his lack of having to deal with getting a lot of pressure when in college may make his life difficult in the NFL.

Part of that specific game against Michigan, Harbaugh deployed some zone schemes and fresh looks that Penix had never seen before.

Reminded me a ton of the Super Bowl when Bellichick threw a ton of new stuff at Goff when they played the Rams and Goff looked lost all day. Probably the most boring super bowl ive ever seen... I think pats won 13-3 or something pedestrian...

Probably a good learning experience for Penix, but yea that whole team was out coached and out gunned that day.

I'm not as concerned about one game, especially considering how good Michigan played, but Penix will see more of those same looks in the NFL until he resolves it.

Another thing that was kinda weird about the UW offense was that they were one dimensional for most of the year. I think the only game they rushed a lot was against USC, and that doesnt even count lol. For some reason they didn't run many quick routes. Everything was double move, deep crossers, deep fades, etc. Not a lot of screen game or short game to keep defenses off balance.  Surely his new NFL team will run some of those concepts for him, one would think. Or at least run the ball on occasion. 

UW was like our offense last year... They threw it around like 70% of the time. As we saw, that junk will not work in the NFL.

I do agree with Simms that Penix will go higher than some people think.  If Minny doesnt snatch him up at #11, he could go to Raiders or even Denver.  I doubt he gets passed Miami at 21, but again just a wild guess there as I know Miami is reticent to extend Tua and this gives them a fresh start on QB salary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

The opposite of JD would be awesome. DJ. Giants trade Daniel Jones to Washington!!! Woot woot!

Sign me up!

Id trade a signed Adam Archuleta jersey, and the corpse of Haynesworth for Daniel Jones.

Great value!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I do as well. His running ability is lethal. And he is more developed than Maye. As he should be with 5 years of playing time. I think Maye has the higher potential upside though. It comes down to patience imo. Josh Harris has shown it so far. If they believe Maye will end up the better QB eventually I would expect them pick him.

Should be interesting.  

I can see the rationale for either one.  McCarthy less so.  My best argument for McCarthy would be higher floor.  I can see that.

Kingsbury, Blough, Peters are all smart dudes.  And they have more information then we do of course.  Both Maye and Daniels have some weaknesses and this FO is better situated than us from a distance to probe on that among other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw your previous post. I just don't think I've seen or read anything (and my exposure is limited too) in Maye's personality to suggest he's not humble or thinks he's perfect or a finished product. He seems like he's very confident in his capabilities but not to the point of arrogance, and comes across as a pretty down to earth guy. 

I didn't say that he's not humble or thinks he's perfect.  I said his answer didn't demonstrate that humility, and that it could easily mean nothing.  But Daniels' answers to that question have been pretty perfect.  The only thing I think that proves is that there IS an upside to Daniels being older.  He's more mature, better prepared, and understands what's expected of him in this process.  Maye's answer -- if it's telling at all -- might show that he thinks of humility as a weakness.  That's pretty typical of young men, especially in the sports world.  Or he might just be getting inferior advice from the people around him helping him navigate the process.  🤷‍♂️

And look, there IS evidence to the contrary.  Drake had to adapt to a new offense in 2023 and soldier through a big drop in talent around him.  That shows an ability to change, and there was a lot to be said about his mettle and toughness in there, too.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Ability to change is a big part for determining what a guy can become when moving from the college to the NFL.

And even afterward.  Make no mistake, sometimes it takes a big serving of humble pie to teach someone humility.  Josh Allen didn't arrive in the NFL a changed man.  It took a couple years in Buffalo to make him realize he was dissatisfied with his game.  THEN he turned it around.  I think the lesson there for us is to help our guy get to that place as early and often as possible, regardless of who we choose.

There's at least two or three QBs floating around the league whose team quit on them before they even had a chance to turn it around.  We can't be one of those teams.  A #2 overall pick in a deep QB draft is ridiculously valuable.  We can't waste that by refusing to be patient if it doesn't pay off right away.

• Like 1

You didn't miss much. It was essentially:

mXn_Q64M2uExbWjH.jpg

That is a ****ing ingenius and perfectly executed emoji!  🤣

I actually laughed out loud and spit out a mouthful full of Colt .45*, when I read it.

I can imagine that girl's voice in my mind gleefully saying those words.

XXXX

*COLT .45, "The malt liquor for those pressed for cash, but still looking to reach their final destination quickly."

"God may have created man, but it took Colt .45 to make them equal."

Samuel Colt

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1