Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

46 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If I could pepper this post with "likes" I would.  So, so true!  

I know, right?

The most important draft in decades. Expectation is tremendous.

I get everyone wants JD to be the next Lamar. The FO is prob thinking the same thing.

And yet the stench of RGIII still hangs heavy in this organization.

Take McCarthy and be done with it. Safer pick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

How do you get more upside than Jayden Daniels?  Extremely gifted runner, accurate passer, exceptional deep ball accuracy and a great leader and improves every year.

When Jayden is drafted he will also be 8 days younger than Joe Burrow and 1 month older than Eli Manning when they were drafted. 

Sam Darnold was also young and talented....we saw how that worked out for him.  Give me the older player who has experience and can handle the leap to the NFL without becoming damaged goods trying to develop basic fundamentals.

There's literally one immutable trait that Daniels has over Maye, and that's pure straight line speed. But it's not like Maye is some 5.2 40 statue. He's as mobile as Josh Allen is, he just doesn't have 4.4 straight line speed like Daniels. Everything else is either just experience based (better footwork, smoother mechanics) due to Daniels having started 3 more seasons than Maye, on Maye's side (size, arm talent) or a wash (hard workers, leadership...though apparently Daniels is a bit more of a quiet type so not sure that's a 100% wash). 

Just being fast doesn't suddenly give you insane upside. There are plenty of fast QBs who have flamed out. For pure traits, Maye beats out Daniels IMO. Plus add in that he's 2 years younger.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If the value we got for him is equivalent to a 7th round pick how did the Broncos get outbid? There aren’t any 8th round picks anymore … Late 3rd early 4th seems more likely what we got in exchange for Sam.

It's almost as if they're suggesting that until the Seahawks made their bid Sam Howell was considered a negative asset.

Meaning we were offering a pick or picks to the team that takes him off our hands.😃

I think the preceding perfectly logical, but completely absurd inference, on its own, is enough to permanently relegate the aforementioned Fitzgerald-Spielberger valuation chart to the ash heap of history.

14 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Give me the older player who has experience and can handle the leap to the NFL without becoming damaged goods trying to develop basic fundamentals.

That is exactly what JD will be after the first hit in preseason.

Edited by CommandB11

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There's literally one immutable trait that Daniels has over Maye, and that's pure straight line speed. But it's not like Maye is some 5.2 40 statue. He's as mobile as Josh Allen is, he just doesn't have 4.4 straight line speed like Daniels. Everything else is either just experience based (better footwork, smoother mechanics) due to Daniels having started 3 more seasons than Maye, on Maye's side (size, arm talent) or a wash (hard workers, leadership...though apparently Daniels is a bit more of a quiet type so not sure that's a 100% wash). 

Just being fast doesn't suddenly give you insane upside. There are plenty of fast QBs who have flamed out. For pure traits, Maye beats out Daniels IMO. Plus add in that he's 2 years younger.

You can make that assumption but without a 40 time you don’t really know exactly how fast Daniels is relative to other QBs. He might not even be the fastest QB on our roster if he is drafted by us. Since the 2006 combine, Mariotta has posted the 7th fastest 40 in that span of all QBs who have ran at the combine. 

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is the generic QB thread not a 2024 qb draft thread. This thread will never die!!! It’s like a bad horror movie with increasingly worse sequels. 

We will no longer be needing a generic QB thead when we draft a legit QB (hopefully). A thread for the said QB will be created on draft day. This is where people will go to talk about the said QB. We will no longer discuss who should be the starting QB. If we do then that means apocalypse has happened. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, zCommander said:

We will no longer be needing a generic QB thead when we draft a legit QB (hopefully). A thread for the said QB will be created on draft day. This is where people will go to talk about the said QB. We will no longer discuss who should be the starting QB. If we do then that means apocalypse has happened. 

This is ES. The apocalypse is assumed. 

If the internet existed during Sammy Baugh’s time half the people would be calling him a bust. Seriously, how did a HOF QB lose a championship game 73-0? That’s some serious bust level performance there. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

That is exactly what JD will be after the first hit in preseason.

Daniels has player 5 years in college and has never missed a game.  What am I missing?  

Bryce Young is built like a teenage girl and had zero talent on his team....he survived.

I think Jayden Daniels will be just fine. He's 6'4 and 210 pounds, he's only going to build on to that frame as well.  He's basically the same size as Jordan Love.

• Like 1

It looks like Robert may soon be in the market for a new gig on Mondays.

https://www.outkick.com/sports/espn-hopes-to-demote-robert-griffin-iii-from-monday-night-football-after-making-a-fool-of-himself

ESPN Hopes to Demote Robert Griffin III From Monday Night Football After Making A Fool of Himself

Bobby Burack

PublishedMarch 27, 2024 

ESPN promoted Robert Griffin III to a lead analyst role on Monday Night Football last season, in one of the more dumbfounding programming decisions of the year.

Already, ESPN is looking to demote him from the desk. The Athletic reported on Tuesday that Jason Kelce could also join the show.

"Monday Night Countdown" is not "First Take." "Countdown" leads into Disney’s most lucrative investment in television, the NFL – for which Disney pays $2.7 billion annually. 

The inclusion of Griffin on-set perpetually undermined the credibility of the pre-game show last season, and thus the NFL broadcast.

Notably, Griffin repeatedly used the platform to argue in favor of Lamar Jackson, whom he refers to as his "little brother."

In the postseason, ahead of the Ravens-Texans playoff game, Griffin shouted that he "wants to see people finally put respect on Lamar’s name."

Even host Scott Van Pelt turned to Griffin, perplexed, asking "Who is disrespecting him, he’s about to win MVP?"

Griffin didn't have an answer. 

No one was disrespecting Lamar Jackson. Griffin’s friendship with Jackson just compromises his analysis. 

He’s unable to separate his personal feelings from his role at ESPN.

We saw that before the season when he called for the 49ers to put head coach Kyle Shanahan on the "hot seat." A week later, Griffin admitted his issues with Shanahan are "personal" and that he blames the coach for his lack of success as a Redskin.

Robert Griffin III turned the ESPN platform into a soapbox for his grievances as a failed former NFL quarterback.

He also uploads cartoon-ish clips on social media where he not so subtly begs for attention. 

Last week, he accused the Bears of sabotaging Justin Fields and thereby calling for Caleb Williams to boycott the team in protest...

ESPN seems to have concluded what OutKick and viewers did all season: Robert Griffin III is not a serious analyst. 

He’s a grifting, emotional hemophiliac trying to sucker media executives into believing he’s the Charles Barkley of football.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Daniels has player 5 years in college and has never missed a game.  What am I missing?  

Bryce Young is built like a teenage girl and had zero talent on his team....he survived.

I think Jayden Daniels will be just fine. He's 6'4 and 210 pounds, he's only going to build on to that frame as well.  He's basically the same size as Jordan Love.

Just because Daniels has gotten lucky so far doesn't mean he always will. He has a thin, wiry body and when he gets hit he has a tendency to splay out and flop like a ragdoll instead of get compact, which just adds even more chance for injury. Then add to that the fact that he had a really really low stat for how often he threw after breaking the pocket when pressured vs just tucking it and running, which means more running and more getting hit, and you have a potential recipe for disaster.

And Daniels has no frame to build on. He has a tiny one with very narrow shoulders and hips. He's pretty much filled out most likely. Otherwise, he would have been able to pack on more weight by the time his pro day rolled around. He's just a beanpole and it's simply his body structure and genetics. 

58 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Neither can @Jumbo so he can lock this thread up and throw it down a dark deep hole and never to be seen again for at least 10 years. :)

This one's been a lot more palatable than the Brunell Bummer/Ravaged Ramsay/Campbell Catastrophe/Cult of McCoy, and RG3OCD threads. And a big step up from the Heinikie Hallucinations.  :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

“One source told me that while J.J. McCarthy of Michigan had a better pro day workout, Daniels is a much better arm talent by a wide margin. Few on hand believe the Washington Commanders will take McCarthy over Daniels with the second selection.”

I thought it was pretty obvious McCarthy had a better pro day as well. Much smoother. Now we wait for Maye. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrJL said:

the thing that really bugs me about all this disinformation about the draft is how unnecessary it is

I dont think its unnecessary.

It's just part of the competitive nature of the league.

Teams (agents too) will take drastic measures to manipulate things to get what they want, and the media will be happy to post it because the clicks are there and the audience is hungry.

There is no accountability because we dont want there to be any.

If the public demanded the truth, we would get it.

But we dont, so we wont.

We click on the articles, we watch the videos, therefore we fund the disinformation.

Are there journalists who play things straight...? Of course there are, but they can only print what they are being told.

Its the game within the game. One hand washes the other, and around and around we go.

Here is a fake example:

Arizona Cardinals are picking 4th overall this year. They want to draft Maye because they are ready to move on from Kyler but they dont want to invest the draft capital to move up, they want to stick and pick.

What do you think is the best way to make that happen, play it straight and offer a haul to move up?

Maybe...

or you could run a "campaign" that discredited the player so he would drift down a few picks.

Remember this:

image.thumb.png.6ba16e028d916a71c1890f5cf6dbe9a3.png

Ask yourself, did Tunsil really deserve to fall in that draft?  Is he not one of the best players at his position in the league? His current paycheck would suggest so...

image.png.b4ae3bfd3893d1982da02675d785c7d2.png

At first I thought this was photoshopped or a camera shutter speed anomaly. Then some internet doctor said it was a bursa sac injury.

However, after looking at this in closeup I wonder if Jayden is wearing a protective device?

It kind of looks like a sleeve, of some sort, that one might use if they already had a bursa sac injury to protect their elbow and upper arm from further damage/pain.

It just doesn't seem organic to me.

--shrug--

EDIT:

For comparison here's an undated photo of his elbow that seems completely normal, from this vantage point.

Note: Although he's wearing an "LSU Pro Day" t-shirt, Daniels was wearing a long sleeve jacket or sweatshirt during Wednesday's pro day, so I don't think it was taken then.

Screenshot_20240328_011808_X.thumb.jpg.99f50d412078349f36a085d3e7035957.jpg

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

6 minutes ago, illone said:

Teams (agents too) will take drastic measures to manipulate things to get what they want, and the media will be happy to post it because the clicks are there and the audience is hungry.

But we dont, so we wont.

We click on the articles, we watch the videos, therefore we fund the disinformation.

Are there journalists who play things straight...? Of course there are, but they can only print what they are being told.

Its the game within the game. One hand washes the other, and around and around we go.

Here is a fake example:

Arizona Cardinals are picking 4th overall this year. They want to draft Maye because they are ready to move on from Kyler but they dont want to invest the draft capital to move up, they want to stick and pick.

What do you think is the best way to make that happen, play it straight and offer a haul to move up?

Maybe...

or you could run a "campaign" that discredited the player so he would drift down a few picks.

Remember this:

Ask yourself, did Tunsil really deserve to fall in that draft?  Is he not one of the best players at his position in the league? His current paycheck would suggest so...

They are trying to make Caleb drop:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, illone said:

But we dont, so we wont.

Here is a fake example:

Maybe...

Remember this:

You could say the same thing about Jonathan Allen and the 'shoulder issue'

Montez Sweat and his 'heart condition'

Guys will continue to fall because of the slandering and garbage being pushed out.  This Jayden Daniels elbow thing is just so silly it's almost funny.  Luckily we have 6 picks in the top 100....here's hoping one of these stud offensive tackles drop in the draft.

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

the thing that really bugs me about all this disinformation about the draft is how unnecessary it is

I wonder if it's actually the NFL itself putting it out so people keep talking. 

Because unless we're going to trade down absolutely none of this matters.  Oh, someone's going to jump us?  I'm sure  if some team wants to trade five first round draft picks and change to the Bears to jump us and take Maye or Daniels or McCarthy I suppose we'll settle for Caleb at number 2

There’s a 24/7 NFL media context here, as well as a thriving social media cottage industry built entirely around the draft and football offseason in general. It’s not a surprise that thousands upon thousands of different sources, sites, mock drafters, journalists, bloggers, and fans cook up endless scenarios day to day in the time leading up to the draft. Some of it is definitely teams throwing smokescreens. Some is purposeful misinformation. Some are legitimate leaks. Some are idiots making things up, getting things wrong, drawing incorrect or mislead conclusions. Some are simply people voicing their opinions—intelligent, stupid, informed, uninformed, ignorant and not, and all other kinds. 

But an undeniable fact is that regardless of their level of involvement in any of the information itself, the NFL benefits from the constant stream of shifting information, reports, and opinions leading up to the draft. As has been mentioned, it’s a player selection tool—and the vast majority of the players will be bad. And yet the ratings for it and coverage of it outpace playoff games of other major sports. It’s a big deal, it’s a big business. Don’t get duped, just engage with it to the point that fulfills your hobbyist interests and entertains you. It’s not worth letting it bug you imo. All that matters is what actually happens on draft weekend, in the end. Engaging with it before that and being led around by the nose by people (and horrible AI bots) who make **** up for clicks and ad revenue online, that’s a choice we’re all making. So moderate your information intake as you see fit imo, that’s how I see it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Apparently, Sean Peyton's Broncos were one of the teams the Seahawks had to outbid to get Sam Howell.

The article suggests that the true value of the picks swapped to acquire Howell could be as low as the equivalent of a 7th round pick, depending on the valuation chart used (see bolded section below).

Though subjectively, it "feels" much more valuable than a mere 7th rounder to me, which is admitedly not a scientific assesment. 

Seahawks beat out Broncos (among other teams) for Sam Howell

We know at least one of the teams involved in the push for former Commanders QB Sam Howell.

The Seattle Seahawks replaced backup quarterback Drew Lock by trading for former Washington Commanders starter Sam Howell. Seattle swapped a third- and fifth-round pick in next month’s NFL Draft for a fourth- and sixth-rounder, plus control over the final two season of Howell’s contract.

At the time the trade was made, Seahawks general manager John Schneider indicated that there was a market for Howell’s services, and multiple teams were interested in getting a deal done.

“We were kind of sweating that this morning and talking to the Commanders and Adam Peters, their general manager,” Schneider said. “We were sweating it out. There were several teams involved with it.”

It looks as if one of those teams was the Denver Broncos. Here’s the blurb from Broncos reporter Mike Klis:

Sources tell 9NEWS the Broncos had interest in free agent Sam Darnold and were in on the trade for Washington quarterback Sam Howell. But the price got steep on both, and Darnold wound up signing with Minnesota for a $10 million, one-year deal and Howell was dealt to Seattle in a double swap of draft picks that resulted in late-third-round value.

Just as an aside, the “late-third-round value” line is referring to how the Jimmy Johnson chart views the draft capital given up. If you use the Fitzgerald-Spielberger valuation chart, which focuses more on expected performance of a draft pick, Seattle gave up the equivalent of a seventh-round pick.

Denver released Russell Wilson two seasons after acquiring him from the Seahawks in a blockbuster trade. Their current quarterback room consists of Jarrett Stidham and Ben DiNucci, so it makes sense that they were in on QBs for trade or free agency. Most likely, they’ll be taking a QB in next month’s NFL Draft, where they’re slotted at No. 12.

I guess the Broncos didn’t want to give up multiple first-round picks again to land a potential QB of the future...

It would cost you much more than a 7th to actively trade up from that spot in the 4th to our new spot in the 3rd, plus the 6th to 5th jump. So objectively, the value is more than a 7th—that would cast a lot of doubt on that particular trade chart, for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

I know, right?

The most important draft in decades. Expectation is tremendous.

I get everyone wants JD to be the next Lamar. The FO is prob thinking the same thing.

And yet the stench of RGIII still hangs heavy in this organization.

Take McCarthy and be done with it. Safer pick.

the stench of RG3 is not nearly as putrid as the stench of Wentz and Howell 

RG3 didn’t know how to throw and didn’t know how to protect himself but he was still better than a lot of prospects that have come by since his time.

if we’re able to get an RG3 who can actually read defenses and stay on his feet, then it’s a different ball game.

Also RG3 cost the team multiple first rounders.  That was part of why the deal for him sucked.  

Edited by skinsarethebest
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Luckily we have 6 picks in the top 100....here's hoping one of these stud offensive tackles drop in the draft.

I am more excited about those picks than the #2 pick.

Have a good feeling we will land Suamaitia at 40.

If it's anything like free agency this is going to be the best draft in decades. 

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

They are trying to make Caleb drop:

😂

I'll send Rg3 a thank you card if this works.

If Caleb falls to us I will paint my nails pink for the entire season. My daughter will love that ****. 

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

At first I thought this was photoshopped or a camera shutter speed anomaly. Then some internet doctor said it was a bursa sac injury.

He had a bursa sac injury in 2022.

I don't know when that pic was taken, but it is an injury he has had.

There was a time where he had a bandage on his elbow, I'm assuming it was related. I never knew why he had it b4, just thought it was rugburn or something.

v4lyv9jg.jpg.638974c9cd1aea08e2ce806bccdaf420.jpg

He either got it drained or fixed at some point as he stopped wearing the bandage.

I’d guess some sort of AI upscaling was used to edit/sharpen that picture, which could have been captured from a video at who knows how many FPS. And that lead to the weird shadowy thing that makes it look like he has one arm growing out of a different bicep lol. Exaggerating whatever bulge came from the bursitis whenever that pic was taken. Yeah, probably just lazy editing of something an AI did.

• Like 4