Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Bit quiet in the FA thread, have we got a weight update on Daniels ?

They actually tried to weigh him today but he was blown away by a stiff breeze at the last moment. Firefighters are currently attempting to get him unstuck from the branches of a local tree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I love that Kirk got the bag. 

QBs are still underpaid when you consider how important they are for team success, how marketable they are for teams, and how important they are for the NFL product. In a fair world, they would have a percentage of ownership interest and be paid twice what they make now, IMO.

Imagine if all the starting QBs went on strike? The NFL product would be brutal. It would look like the XFL.

As far as the draft, Minnesota is in dire straights and may look to trade up for a QB. Atlanta now out of the QB run in the first.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

They actually tried to weigh him today but he was blown away by a stiff breeze at the last moment. Firefighters are currently attempting to get him unstuck from the branches of a local tree.

The firefighters tried enlisting Drake Maye to throw a football at him to knock him down, and every pass missed. 

JJ McCarthy was brought in but couldn’t throw a pass because Harbaugh wasn’t there to call a play, and he couldn’t audible.

Just a tragedy.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Veretax said:

Well with the Word that Baker Mayfield will stay in Tampa, allegedly, and presuming no Cousins or other strange Veteran brought in, it looks like we ar elocked in at #2 for QB.

We'll see, Minnesota and Denver are still QB hamstrung but I would think you're right. Vegas signing Minshew is probably a great indicator that us and NE aren't budging. Their fans can't be very happy right now rolling with Minshew.

Brissett is signing with NE. I'd really been hoping, but not expecting, Commanders to re-sign him as a perfect  bridge/mentor for Maye - similar build/arm/mobility, and a great guy to have in the QB room / on the sidelines.  

Makes me wonder if NE thinks Maye will be there at 3....

1. Draft Maye

2. Keep Howell

3. Open competition in offseason

4. If Howell wins the competition, he's day 1 starter and Maye redshirts this year. If not, Maye takes the reins from the jump

Is that a good idea? Maybe not. But it's not the worst idea!

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

1. Draft Maye

2. Keep Howell

4. If Howell wins the competition, he's day 1 starter and Maye redshirts this year. If not, Maye takes the reins from the jump

Unless Maye is so absurdly better than Howell in camp that it’s just ridiculous I would have Howell start first month or so for oline to gel regardless.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Brissett is signing with NE. I'd really been hoping, but not expecting, Commanders to re-sign him as a perfect  bridge/mentor for Maye - similar build/arm/mobility, and a great guy to have in the QB room / on the sidelines.  

Makes me wonder if NE thinks Maye will be there at 3....

I still think the Pats absolutely draft a guy at 3. Jones is gone and they need a solid guy to either be a 1 year bridge for the rookie or to back him up if he's good enough to start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

We'll see, Minnesota and Denver are still QB hamstrung but I would think you're right. Vegas signing Minshew is probably a great indicator that us and NE aren't budging..

I wonder what the G men will do for QB, now that the FA market is not a solution and it’ll seem unlikely that can trade up to secure a top 3 rookie. Wait until next year and ride with Jones for one more season, or trade draft capital for a legit vet?

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I still think the Pats absolutely draft a guy at 3. Jones is gone and they need a solid guy to either be a 1 year bridge for the rookie or to back him up if he's good enough to start.

Yeah but I feel like it’s a totally different skill set from Daniels to Brissett. Change the offense next year? If it’s Maye it’s fine, but they can’t know that for sure. 

Maybe they really like JJ or something. I’m not sure they go QB at 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I wonder what the G men will do for QB, now that the FA market is not a solution and it’ll seem unlikely that can trade up to secure a top 3 rookie. Wait until next year and ride with Jones for one more season, or trade draft capital for a legit vet?

I still think, based on buzz and especially after watching McCarthy pal around with Giants coaches on the sidelines at the combine, that he is going to NY at 6.

6 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yeah but I feel like it’s a totally different skill set from Daniels to Brissett. Change the offense next year? If it’s Maye it’s fine, but they can’t know that for sure. 

I mean, there are really only so many running QBs in the NFL. So the pickings for guys who use their legs like Daniels is almost nonexistent. They may just really want a quality guy to be the bridge or backup, regardless.

And I can't even imagine how apoplectic Pats fans would be if they had a chance to draft a potential blue chip QB at 3 and instead kicked the can down the road and went with a career backup like Brissett.  :ols:  

This is crazy but hear me out:

Patriots want Maye and have a draft day deal worked out with Commanders. Assuming Caleb goes 1, Commanders swap picks with Pats and Pats take Maye and sit him for a year. We get Patriots 2nd rounder and take Daniels. Wouldn’t be my preference, but interesting. Could work because you can actually trust Pats and Commanders since it’s one pick. Commanders could even take Maye and then trade him for pick 3 and second rounder. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I mean, there are really only so many running QBs in the NFL. So the pickings for guys who use their legs like Daniels is almost nonexistent. They may just really want a quality guy to be the bridge or backup, regardless.

And I can't even imagine how apoplectic Pats fans would be if they had a chance to draft a potential blue chip QB at 3 and instead kicked the can down the road and went with a career backup like Brissett.  :ols:  

But there are a bunch of running QB backups out there. Tyrod Taylor, Mariotta, Tannehill, etc. Why take a pure pocket guy? You can’t have two totally different offenses. To me, this says they like Maye or someone like Penix.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

That's why I'm wondering whether maybe NE has not-public info suggesting Maye will be available at 3.  I'd be surprised if Brissett is getting huge $$, and seems like Washington had good experience with him. 

Just speculating of course, but let's say Commanders drafted Maye; would give them 2 QBs with Air Raid experience for Kingsbury's Don't-Call-It-Air-Raid-! offense, if they keep Howell. If they go with Daniels (not as similar to Brissett), that gives Kingsbury something a lot more different than Howell to work with.  Also keep seeing reports that Peters/Quinn/etc 'heavily investigating' Daniels.

So I'm wondering whether Brissett and/or NE had info suggesting Daniels to Commanders.

Yes, I'm talking myself into knots because the freaking NFL refused to take my very very good advice and re-schedule the draft to begin the day after combine ends.

4 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

This is crazy but hear me out:

Patriots want Maye and have a draft day deal worked out with Commanders. Assuming Caleb goes 1, Commanders swap picks with Pats and Pats take Maye and sit him for a year. We get Patriots 2nd rounder and take Daniels. Wouldn’t be my preference, but interesting. Could work because you can actually trust Pats and Commanders since it’s one pick. Commanders could even take Maye and then trade him for pick 3 and second rounder. 

But there are a bunch of running QB backups out there. Tyrod Taylor, Mariotta, Tannehill, etc. Why take a pure pocket guy? You can’t have two totally different offenses. To me, this says they like Maye or someone like Penix.

I thought the same, going after brissett signalled to me they want him to start for a year while they sit maye behind him

we get daniels + a pick out of it? Sign me up

I wouldn’t read into Jacoby to NE other than they want a veteran mentor for their rookie QB. An $8M backup / one-year bridge QB is not determining who your long term guy at 3 overall is going to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

1. Draft Maye

2. Keep Howell

It's palatable now.

If Howell can beat Maye out for the #1 job, we shoulda drafted someone else.

This open competition thing sounds good until it's clearly how badly we can't get this pick wrong.  All in on Maye, Howell starts only is Maye is injured if he stays.

If Maye isn't ready to start Day 1, TF we doing drafting him #2 overall?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Trade Sam to Minnesota.

Trade him and pick 40 to Denver for pick 12

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's palatable now.

If Howell can beat Maye out for the #1 job, we shoulda drafted someone else.

This open competition thing sounds good until it's clearly how badly we can't get this pick wrong.  All in on Maye, Howell starts only is Maye is injured if he stays.

If Maye isn't ready to start Day 1, TF we doing drafting him #2 overall?

If we take Qb we probably best off moving Howell. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we take Qb we probably best off moving Howell. 

Why? We're not going to get much for him as far as draft capital and he's proven that he can at least start in the NFL. He's also still on his rookie deal so he's cheap for the next two years.

I guess it's possible we offered Brissett a repeat of the 1-year deal at $10M and he decided to take a little less to go 'home' - although he only played in 3 games for NE before getting traded to Indy. 

Just seems weird.

7 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I guess it's possible we offered Brissett a repeat of the 1-year deal at $10M and he decided to take a little less to go 'home' - although he only played in 3 games for NE before getting traded to Indy. 

Just seems weird.

He could start there this year.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Just seems weird.

What’s weird about it? We probably offered him nothing 

• Like 1