Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Rivers with mobility/athleticism is my comp for Maye now. Although I don't think he's Rivers in terms of temperament. Rivers would yell at his guys, Maye is more positive/encouraging. 

If Maye is anything like Rivers, he’d better hurry up and get going. I think Rivers was already married with 2 kids (on his way to 10) before he was drafted.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

Unless you have a dominant running game, Wilson is worthless.

I don’t agree on worthless ! He be serviceable as a back up qb , not to mention he had a lot of game winning games this season. 

So about Russel Wilson idk if will be interested . At this point he’s not needed if Howell stays . If Howell does get moved tho I’d be surprised if Russ isn’t the guy, that’s Dan Quinn guy .

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't really think of Maye as a gunslinger in the purest sense. I think he HAD to take on that mindset last year because the only chance his team had was if he was able to consistently make perfect throws into tight windows to move the ball. He didn't have the luxury of a run game to lean on or WRs who could get open for easy chunk plays. He WAS that team

I've made this explanation w/ Maye before.

I understand he was in a challenging situation but I can't give him credit for the opposite of things he displayed on film. Even if he had to be a gunslinger, I can't blanket assume he will make better choices in a better environment because he simply has not shown it. I just don't let it ding him to the full extent. He forced a lot of balls, I'm not gonna assume his decision making is great just because he had to throw his team to victory.

Same w/ his mechanics accuracy and consistency.

I love his ability to throw on platform, but until he can showcase the ability to do that w/ regularity, I can't call him consistent or accurate because on film he simply isnt.

Now, if he improves those mechanics, and makes consistent good choices moving forward, I can flex that personal narrative. They are fixable issues. But I can't get with the idea that he is something other than what he displayed.

And if its all the same I ding others for what they put on film too. I don't care that LSU had a bad D or that he was trying to compete for the Heisman which mandates pushing for stats, I bash JD's mentality to fight for every yard and open himself up to hits as hard as anybody. I'm the first guy to recommend the team hire a slide coach to hunt Jayden for sport. I don't just blanket assume JD's decision making will magically improve once he hits the NFL, I wholly recommend a team re-enforces the idea as hard as possible.

For me, if Maye has put Gunslinger on tape, even if there is a reason for it, then he is a gunslinger until he proves otherwise.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I understand people would hate it but now both Adam Schefter and Ian Rappaport have alluded to us trading back in the draft? 

You just told us a couple pages back that it's lying season and to take everything with a grain of salt. Now you are implying, 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. Well, which is it?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, mudhog said:

You just told us a couple pages back that it's lying season and to take everything with a grain of salt. Now you are implying, 'where there's smoke, there's fire'. Well, which is it?

Form your own opinion? But I would listen to Adam and Ian before I would literally anyone else 

The Ringer.  But for some equal time considering any tweet-article which suggests Maye might drop will get automatic play here.  Yes there are some who think the same about Daniels.

Again just pure entertainment.  Nothing uber serious. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/3/4/24089897/nfl-combine-takeaways-marvin-harrison-jr-jj-mccarthy

J.J. McCarthy may be QB3.

It is smoke-screen season, and I very well may be getting hooked by it. But in Indianapolis, I heard significantly more interest and excitement for how high Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy might go relative to how high LSU QB Jayden Daniels might go.

My sense is that Daniels is not locked into an early draft slot and that the league has turned its attention elsewhere. McCarthy is a strong candidate to go before Daniels in April.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'd add Breer is the 2nd national reporter to echo the point below.  I've made this point way before this intense Daniels-Maye debate here.  As for being accurate, Breer for my taste is the 2nd best national reporter as to accuracy.  He's gotten somethings wrong like everyone but he's typically on the money.  And if he says he's heard what was said below I believe him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/04/mmqb-drake-maye-unc-combine-qb-competitive

But no one helped himself more than Maye, who left an impression with scouts that echoed in the bars and restaurants of Indianapolis.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Including Keim?

Keim, sure but Ian and Adam still get more info than Keim too. 

I want everyone to think of all the news about Washington to come out - who spilled Myers first? Who was the first to say Johnson likely wasn't happening? Who was the first to announce Harris?

The local guys are never first, its always the national guys. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Keim, sure but Ian and Adam still get more info than Keim too. 

I want everyone to think of all the news about Washington to come out - who spilled Myers first? Who was the first to say Johnson likely wasn't happening? Whi was the first to announce Harris?

Keim was on the idea that Johnson is far from a given well before Adam piped in about it, I referenced that in real time back then 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim was on the idea that Johnson is far from a given well before Adam piped in about it, I referenced that in real time back then 

Keim saying its not a done deal is something but Schefter saying he bet its not happening was a lot more significant.

Also every single coaching hire came from the national guys - from Kingsbury to Whitt to Johnson. 

43 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Form your own opinion? But I would listen to Adam and Ian before I would literally anyone else 

Adam, yes.  Ian, no.  Keim, most definitely!  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Maye is anything like Rivers, he’d better hurry up and get going. I think Rivers was already married with 2 kids (on his way to 10) before he was drafted.  

I coached a flag football game against Rivers at a tournament in San Diego a few years back. One of his boys was the quarterback and had the exact same funky throwing motion as his daddy.

Ironically, I was coaching with one of his old NFL teammates back here in Texas at the same time. This is our program.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-forward-former-nfl-running-back-ladainian-tomlinson-coaches-youth-foo-293549

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Oh just casually dropping that you coached with Ladainian Tomlinson.  The humblest of brags.

Yeah, but I mean, that was like six years ago though and that’s the first time anyone’s ever heard of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't really think of Maye as a gunslinger in the purest sense. I think he HAD to take on that mindset last year because the only chance his team had was if he was able to consistently make perfect throws into tight windows to move the ball. He didn't have the luxury of a run game to lean on or WRs who could get open for easy chunk plays. He WAS that team. 

Its like when Kobe was taking 40 shots a game for those mediocre post Shaq but before Gasol Laker teams and everyone killed his inefficiency, but the fact is he had to take all those shots because a bad Kobe shot was still the best option. 

Maye attempting downfield passes and getting picked off on occasion was still the best shot UNC had. Its a play to win mindset that should be commended, not looked down upon. 

If you want a dink and dunk game manager that'll lead you to 7-8 wins tops go get Bo Nix.

Attempting downfield passes and getting picked off occasionally is not a play to win mindset, it’s hero ball and will hurt a team more than it helps. 

It’s why the Bills can’t get past Mahomes in the playoffs. It’s not a necessity to win, it’s a choice by the qb, and most of the time, even when the best QBs go into this mode, it hinders the team more than it helps.

Sometimes it’s ok to punt the ball, it’s not like UNCs defense was getting run out of the building UCSs was. 

This is only ok in some situations, on third and very long when you take a very long shot downfield that essentially would be the same as a punt if intercepted. And even then, it’s harder to cover an interception return than a punt. Riskier by far because at minimum you can at least punt the ball out of bounds.

Or its ok if the team is way down without sufficient time to come back, but that is called garbage time for a reason.

Maye is an amazing prospect but it’s unfair to give him a pass on this, he’s been forcing throws that aren’t there and it costs him, he’s had that problem for 2 years in college and it’s one thing he will have to fix.

even if he did take on the gunslinger mentality, because he had to, which I don’t believe, usually you are who you are, who’s to say he will easily take it off.

He’s going to have to learn to take what the d gives him, get as high a completion % that is possible taking what the d gives you and then pick and choose his spots to rip it downfield.

This is something Patrick is amazing at and has been since his first start, and something Josh Allen still hasn’t figured out.

The difference is one keeps playing in Super Bowls while the other sits at home. It’s how the Chiefs beat the ravens and the 49ers back to back. Mahomes is willing to take the check downs and move the chains, shortening the game. If Maye can learn this, he’s going to be real good.

Edited by mac8887

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Ringer.

The Rewatchables

Trial By Content

House of R

Those are the good things on The Ringer.

Everything else is ... dumb.  Their sports coverage is insanely "shock-jock" like. 

However, those three podcasts?  Amazing.  

32 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

QB School is very much not onboard with the JJ McCarthy talk thus far

I have no idea who QB school is or what their credentials are.  My breakdown on him is earlier in this thread.  

I have no idea what the hubbub is about.  I think there's a sell job. 

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I coached a flag football game against Rivers at a tournament in San Diego a few years back. One of his boys was the quarterback and had the exact same funky throwing motion as his daddy.

What were the other 9 kids doing?  It looks like they're done.  The youngest is 5.  They were averaging one every 2 years.  They really needed 1 more.  Then they could have had a full offense or defense.  

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Keim saying its not a done deal is something but Schefter saying he bet its not happening was a lot more significant.

Schefter is a shill.  Yeah he gets all the info, but he shills for agents all the time.  He'll do favors for agents in exchange for actual information later.  It's a bartering game. 

Keim passes along information and doesn't play the same game.  I'm sure there's some bartering or some sort, but it's nothing like Schefter.