Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Now is the moment to acquire Russell; he remains the same player as two years ago, but at a significantly reduced cost. It's a strategic move—buy at the trough, sell at the peak.

Considering if Washington's leadership isn't committed to Maye or Daniels, I can easily support bringing in a cost-effective and more grounded Wilson who now recognizes the importance of using his legs for effectiveness. Additionally, there should be an exit option after the first year. Committing to that individual for two years seems too much; it's essential for the organization to maintain leverage. 

No way do I want this, hope the FO loves either Maye or Daniels. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 3

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Atlanta wouldn’t be a bad spot for him. Super weak division. Some weapons on offense. 

I could see that, if they don't get Cousins.

I would guess.

Cousins to Atl 

Fields to Minnesota 

Mayfield to Tampa or LV

Wilson to NYG

25 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think his decision making was fine.

I don't.

Gunslinger mentality has been thrown around more than once w/ Maye and the common downside to that label is that the guy sends a lot of passes he probably shouldn't.

Plus he has to improve his business-decision-making when running around in the open field. Too many gang tackles, or flying trapeze artist aerobatic displays. You can get away with that in college, but not the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see that, if they don't get Cousins.

I would guess.

Cousins to Atl 

Fields to Minnesota 

Mayfield to Tampa or LV

Wilson to NYG

The giants can’t cut Jones until next year. His contract has an out with a 23 mil hit after the 24 season. So he’s guaranteed a spot this year. I don’t see Russ going there. 

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't.

Gunslinger mentality has been thrown around more than once w/ Maye and the common downside to that label is that the guy sends a lot of passes he probably shouldn't.

Plus he has to improve his business-decision-making when running around in the open field. Too many gang tackles, or flying trapeze artist aerobatic displays. You can get away with that in college, but not the NFL.

I agree with you about the hits. I disagree about his decision making when passing. The majority of his misses were good decisions. They were just poor passes because of his poor footwork. 

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The giants can’t cut Jones until next year. His contract has an out with a 23 mil hit after the 24 season. So he’s guaranteed a spot this year. I don’t see Russ going there. 

They won't cut Jones but if Russ is signing for the vet min it's possible they give him a shot.

It unlikely, but possible they want to see what Russ has left if they have already decided they are moving on from Jones. Russ will be going some where on the cheap to stick it to the broncos.

Edited by Redskins 2021

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Now is the moment to acquire Russell; he remains the same player as two years ago

So complete garbage? No thanks. 

Trash is trash regardless of how much you pay it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

They won't cut Jones but if Russ is signing for the vet min it's possible they give him a shot.

It unlikely, but possible they want to see what Russ has left if they have already decided they are moving on from Jones.

Russ signing for vet minimum is hyperbole. Baker will get over 30 mil per year and Brissett will get 10 or more a year. “Vet minimum” for Russ is probably between 15-20 million.

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't.

I don't really think of Maye as a gunslinger in the purest sense. I think he HAD to take on that mindset last year because the only chance his team had was if he was able to consistently make perfect throws into tight windows to move the ball. He didn't have the luxury of a run game to lean on or WRs who could get open for easy chunk plays. He WAS that team. 

Its like when Kobe was taking 40 shots a game for those mediocre post Shaq but before Gasol Laker teams and everyone killed his inefficiency, but the fact is he had to take all those shots because a bad Kobe shot was still the best option. 

Maye attempting downfield passes and getting picked off on occasion was still the best shot UNC had. Its a play to win mindset that should be commended, not looked down upon. 

If you want a dink and dunk game manager that'll lead you to 7-8 wins tops go get Bo Nix.

• Thumb up 1

I dont think this season, in the future yes. The broncos have to pay the difference of the 40 million they owe him. So if they sign him for the min 1. 2 million the broncos have to pay the difference in the money which would be like 39 million.

Wilson will do the broncos no favors. Wilson will want a one year prove it deal then try to get big salary. That is why I think gmen or many other teams will give him a shot.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Settling in at his gate at Indianapolis International Airport, the 6' 4", 223-pound quarterback with the sweet-tea accent and aw-shucks demeanor is going through his mental Rolodex to explain what it was like growing up with his dad and three brothers.

One of his siblings was the starting power forward for the North Carolina Tar Heels basketball team. Another played baseball for the Florida Gators, and both won national titles as collegians. A third brother just finished playing hoops for the Tar Heels. And Drake followed in his dad’s footsteps as a UNC quarterback, three-and-a-half decades after Mark Maye wore the Carolina blues.

So, naturally, there was a certain intensity to day-to-day life growing up at home.

And it was not limited to the house, either.

“We had a rough two-minute drill at the end of practice one time, and my dad was the middle school offensive coordinator,” Maye says from his seat in the terminal. “He was yelling at me to get it right the whole time, not really yelling at any other people. I was like, Man … But looking back on that, I’m really thankful for it because it really taught me what it’s like to grow into this level, and what I needed to do at the higher levels.”

That fire? The youngest of Mark Maye’s four sons inherited it and, with the 2024 NFL scouting combine now complete, the league’s quarterback-hungry teams are well aware of it, too.

You know how strong this year’s class is at the position. The USC Trojans’ Caleb Williams might be the most talented prospect to come out in years. The LSU Tigers’ Heisman winner, Jayden Daniels, has seen his stock rise like a rocket ship the past six months. There’s depth, too, where you could find a competent starter into the middle rounds. But no one helped himself more than Maye, who left an impression with scouts that echoed in the bars and restaurants of Indianapolis.

That impression was, well, the antithesis of what they’d expected. The quarterback teams thought they’d get—with that voice and laid-back gait—instead brought the juice, coming across as competitive and fiery. After someone told me Maye is more Philip Rivers than Eli Manning or Daniel Jones, a mutual friend of both Rivers and Jones gave me a direct response.

“He is Philip,” the person says. Later, Jim Denton, agent to both, just smiled at the comp. And in prompting it—and showing exactly who he is—Maye accomplished what he wanted to.

“That was my goal,” he says. “My play style is kind of cool, calm and collected. I wanted to let people hear me. … Even in the interviews, they mentioned, Hey, you seem like you’re in the zone before the game. You don’t really say much. Getting to see that side of me, in the locker room, me in meetings and me at practice, it was really what I wanted to accomplish. So hearing that really makes me feel good.”

It made teams feel pretty good, too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I could see ATL going after Russ.

And if he is cut early can't teams chase him before FA?

The broncos can't him till the 13th of March for start of new league year.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

So complete garbage? No thanks. 

Trash is trash regardless of how much you pay it.

I support Wilson only if there's a decrease in entitlement, and he acknowledges the need to strive for over 500 rushing yards in the season to truly impact the QB position.

Again, only if Maye or Daniels aren’t loved by the FO. 

Edited by wit33

Rich's 5 Rumors He Heard At the Combine

5. Vikings might look into getting Trey Lance from the Cowboys if Kirk doesn't sign

4. Jayden Daniels is QB2. All the defensive coaches in the SEC told teams he was a nightmare to gameplan for

3. The Giants are done with Daniel Jones. The two words he heard were "buyers remorse" though they might have to play him this year

2. Jerry Jones is planning to make Dak play out his walk year and not extend him at all. 

1. The Bears are 100% drafting Caleb Williams and trading Justin Fields

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The broncos can't him till the 13th of March for start of new league year.

I don’t think he can sign until after June 1st.  But I could be wrong about that.  

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

2. Jerry Jones is planning to make Dak play out his walk year and not extend him at all. 

Of this is true, it’s smart for Dallas but it’s going to be madly painful.  

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Rich's 5 Rumors He Heard At the Combine

5. Vikings might look into getting Trey Lance from the Cowboys if Kirk doesn't sign

4. Jayden Daniels is QB2. All the defensive coaches in the SEC told teams he was a nightmare to gameplan for

3. The Giants are done with Daniel Jones. The two words he heard were "buyers remorse" though they might have to play him this year

1. The Bears are 100% drafting Caleb Williams and trading Justin Fields

I would watch for fields to Minnesota. He pretty similar to Lance. Gmen will add a Qb, watch for Wilson if they are done with Jones.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

So this was an unranked UNC vs #11 Oregon last year? Just want to make sure I’m evaluating the talent chasm between the 2 teams correctly. And Ole Miss/LSU this year?

Yeah, you got it. there was no rhyme or reason to my pick. Honestly I was going to look at the ole Miss game specifically to see why he (Daniels) and others on here, picked that for people to watch.

I chose Mayes because it was the first to pop in my YouTube search 😂. That being said, I don’t think it would be his pick. He showed up, not as big as Daniels, but the talent difference and playcalling on both offenses is noticeable. 

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Rivers with mobility/athleticism is my comp for Maye now. Although I don't think he's Rivers in terms of temperament. Rivers would yell at his guys, Maye is more positive/encouraging. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, profusion said:

I think he's done. Someone will be paying for the Wilson of 10 years ago, but that's not what they'll get.

The Broncos are in a world of hurt. No QB, no high draft picks, no cap room. Wow.

I’m not sure how many teams would believe they outs be “paying for the Wilson of 10 years ago”

They’d be giving him a very cheap contract, with the hope that maybe he can get them into the playoffs, or at minimum be a stop gap while a younger guy learns the ropes and his salary will indicate that.

You are right though, more than likely he won’t be able to rekindle the Russel of old.

1 hour ago, profusion said:

I think he's done. Someone will be paying for the Wilson of 10 years ago, but that's not what they'll get.

The Broncos are in a world of hurt. No QB, no high draft picks, no cap room. Wow.

The Waltons agreed to that contract. Yeah, it was negotiated before they took over but the deal wasn’t finalized until right after they took over. They just went along with what their idiot Gm did.

Russ is cooked.  He can’t play like he did early in his career. You might get someone who can take you to a wild card and that’s it. Russ isn’t winning 2 more superbowls like he thinks. 

Russ is going want that big money next year, he’s not worth it.

57 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The Waltons agreed to that contract. Yeah, it was negotiated before they took over but the deal wasn’t finalized until right after they took over. They just went along with what their idiot Gm did.

Russ is cooked.  He can’t play like he did early in his career. You might get someone who can take you to a wild card and that’s it. Russ isn’t winning 2 more superbowls like he thinks. 

Russ is going want that big money next year, he’s not worth it.

Russ ain't getting big money. He may get a respectable deal with incentives but that's it—no more long-term stability. 

Edited by NOLA2DC
  • Thumb up 1