Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I'n just going to remind people...Malik Willis went in the 3rd round to the Titans and he wasn't even the first QB taken in that round. Yet, this is what we heard during/after the combine

*None of these teams drafted him*

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

This article covering the Falcons insinuates Commanders are in on McCarthy at #2.

Any chance you add some context to that and post what it says ?? Would be appreciated….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I don’t get the narrative of Maye had bad talent around him. UNC is the third most talented team in ACC most years behind Clemson and FSU. We all just watched the combine. How many defensive players from ACC do you remember seeing? At some point last season UNC was a top 10 team.

Remember Tom Brady talent his first 3 super bowls or Patrick Mahomes just last year.

Picking apart what you sayin, ACC is not the SEC, and who cares how many good defensive players UNC has if Maye plays offense?

Someone please tell me Bears aren't serious about taking Maye?  If people are realizing Maye is doing his job but players weren't getting open that's good to know.

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

No, I know how to use discernment. First, when has EB ever had info? Second, if a QB at one of the biggest schools in the country with one of the most expansive and well connected football programs is considering entering the draft there are tons of better/more formal ways to get info than asking your friend to ask someone. On top of that, the notion that he was holding a grudge for it after he asked (yet decided to stay in school and work hard to improve)?

You can believe what you want though

I don’t listen to the Junkies and really don’t care for EB. But he was on top of the Chase Young injury saying it was worse than what people were being told. Early in camp that year, when a lot of speculation was that he might miss a game or two, he pushed back and said his source told him closer to Halloween.

These guys get and pass bad info at times, but they do also get good information.

I don’t see this thing being far fetched with the exception that Daniels hates Peters instead of Daniels was dead set to prove him wrong in 2023.

45 minutes ago, illone said:

I'd probably be the only human, outside of Rich Eisen, that would be cracking old wine bottles if the Commanders selected JJ McCarthy at 2.

😂

I’d be perfectly happy with McCarthy, but not at #2. Only Caleb is worthy of that high of a pick this draft. 

Edited by mac8887
  • Thumb down 1

I like the ex QBs and coaches and FO doing their reviews on these QBs on these YouTube channels. Some go very in depth, and it’s fun listening to them, they are far more knowledgeable and more qualified than I am to grade these QBs and comp them to players in the league. They state their takes and stick with it whether we like it or not.

But these guys on the big shows like ESPN and Fox Sports are on an entirely different level.

These guys will spend 5 minutes talking about how great Maye is, comping him to players like Herbert and Josh Allen. 

And then in the very next segment talking about how the bears can’t pass up on Mahommes again by passing on Caleb and trading back for Maye because they can’t risk picking Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes again.

Literally in a couple of minutes they go from calling Maye a can’t miss, and calling him the next Justin Herbert, to calling him Mitch Trubisky.  It’s almost comical.

How these talking heads still have jobs at ESPN and Fox Sports is beyond any explanation. I don’t see these argument shows like first take and others like it will last much longer. At least I hope not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'n just going to remind people...Malik Willis went in the 3rd round to the Titans and he wasn't even the first QB taken in that round. Yet, this is what we heard during/after the combine

My take:

Malik Willis agent (or more likely his agency) was liberally greasing palms and selling the hell out of him to their cozy circle of influential "friends" in the sports reporting business.

Unfortunately, for Malik, no one who actually works for a team and makes picks was buying this organized campaign of of overhyped excellence.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I’d be perfectly happy with McCarthy, but not at #2. Only Caleb is worthy of that high of a pick this draft. 

False. If he is the guy, you take him. 

This isnt a guy that will be available via trade down, I dont think he is getting past 6, which means there will probably be trade activity at #4-5 and I would be shocked if any of those teams are looking to move up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Truth be told for some reason as I was listening to Sirius I confused Ryan Leaf in my mind with Phillip Rivers!!??

Wait until you're my age,  **** happens and all you can do is laugh at it and try to retain a modicum of dignity. lol

On the other hand here's another thought:

If we all accept the adage "that game recognizes game", wouldn't the corollary be-- "lack of game recognizes lack of game".

lol

EDIT:

I think I've embarrassed  myself enough for one day.  Gonna take two Prevagen and try to clear up the fog between my ears.

ta ta!

LOL, I'm 56, I get it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, illone said:

False. If he is the guy, you take him. 

This isnt a guy that will be available via trade down, I dont think he is getting past 6, which means there will probably be trade activity at #4-5 and I would be shocked if any of those teams are looking to move up...

If they are not able to trade down to get him then don’t get him.

4 hours ago, mac8887 said:

Tez Walker is about to be drafted in the 4th round at the latest.

Tez Walker is going to be drafted because he can run fast. Unfortunately for him the other part of being a receiver is actually catching the ball. Something he struggles with.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

My take:

Malik Willis agent (or more likely his agency) was liberally greasing palms and selling the hell out of him to their cozy circle of influential "friends" in the sports reporting business.

Unfortunately, for Malik, no one who actually works for a team and makes picks was buying this organized campaign of of overhyped excellence.

But thats the thing - even Daniel Jeremiah was proclaiming that he was hearing from people that Willis would go in the first round and teams were even considering trading up for him. It is lying season. Be skeptical of it all. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

But thats the thing - even Daniel Jeremiah was proclaiming that he was hearing from people that Willis would go in the first round and teams were even considering trading up for him. It is lying season. Be skeptical of it all. 

In fairness a lot changed with WIllis after the combine. He went out and missed a ton of throws at his pro day. Plus team's had more time to break down his tape. 

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Tez Walker is going to be drafted because he can run fast. Unfortunately for him the other part of being a receiver is actually catching the ball. Something he struggles with.

Still the only Michigan WR to be drafted in the last 2 years was a 7th rounder last year, and nobody is giving JJ the benefit of the doubt that they do with Maye. Don’t you think it’s a bit of a double standard, especially seeing how Maye has had much better weapons on the outside the last 2 years.

4 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Still the only Michigan WR to be drafted in the last 2 years was a 7th rounder last year, and nobody is giving JJ the benefit of the doubt that they do with Maye. Don’t you think it’s a bit of a double standard, especially seeing how Maye has had much better weapons on the outside the last 2 years.

It is a double standard, but I would say that I think Roman Wilson is really good and showed that in the Senior Bowl and in big moments all year. Cornelius Johnson has made big plays in the past but who knows with him. I heard he was looking good too. Neither are Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers, however. Colston Loveland is excellent. I can't speak to the talent on Maye's team.

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness a lot changed with WIllis after the combine. He went out and missed a ton of throws at his pro day. Plus team's had more time to break down his tape. 

He staged a stunt where his Pr person recorded him giving clothes to a homeless person at the combine and went further downhill from there. So many frauds every year on and off the field.

This year is no exception. It will be surprising  if more than 1 QB drafted this year gets a second contract with the team who drafted him. They are all gonna probably suck except maybe 1 and if the stars align possibly 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This is anecdotal though, it's 1 example The reality is, since the days of Mike Mamula thirty years ago, some of the hype is real, some of the hype is bull----. Another example example would be Hakeem Butler, who was blowing away everyone and was expected go go top 20-50, and didn't go until the 4th round back in 2019. There's a bunch of them. Sean Tucker had a bad medical as I mentioned yesterday and dropped to undrafted, from a late day 2 grade before. It's hard to suss these things out. I would add with Malik Willis, part of the problem with that class was the QB class was known to be ----, and there were red flags for practically all the crappy QB's in the crappy class. Ridder was just blah, Corral had his concerns, Pickett stunk out loud until his final overrage season, my UNR guy had horrific med reports on his knees, Howell had a terrible final season, Willis had a rocket arm, and was a great athlete but real competition concerns.

I think what was telling there was that specific teams had specific concerns and needs for QB's in terms of fit, and all the prospects sucked in some way or another and were high risk. My guess with Willis is that fit was bad generally speaking with the teams looking at QB like Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, otoh, its definitely odd that those 3 teams passed considering they all had experience with rocket armed dual threat guys like Vick, Newton and going way back but Kordell. I don't know, I think it's hard to figure out whats real from whats not which is why looking at how people felt across more than a 4 month window is valuable. 

It seems like Malik Willis' peoples were in straight shill mode post combine given the choreographed stunts and a absolute wave of pub he was getting and how that was course corrected via the reality of the situation.

Just another warning sign of taking everything with a grain of salt this time of year.

I think you can put some faith in guys rising up boards or crashing down them after a strong/weak physical performance (like your Worthys anf Penix's of the world) but all this extracurricular stuff... yeah I put extremely little faith in any of it.

34 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The teams had been breaking down tape before then. It was just never true that the NFL viewed him that high but they were definitely lying to people and making them believe they did. It's one thing to say a guy is going top 10 and they end up sliding to the end of the first. It's another to say he's going in the first and teams are willing to trade away assets for them and then he isn't even the first QB taken in the 3rd round. They got duped. It happens.

This time of year is lying season so my main point is to be skeptical of it all and take it all with a grain of salt.

Edited by ThatNFLChick