Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Always toxic in here. Seems like people forget there are plenty examples of Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Purdy not being Extreme Skins first or second quarterback in the draft. Most draft “Guru” had Zach Wilson being the guy. Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd guess zero chance that this team knows what they want to do in THIS moment in time.

Agree completely. It is way too early in the process for any team to have made a final decision yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Agree completely. It is way too early in the process for any team to have made a final decision yet. 

I think we’ll have a clear plan A, the issue is will the Bears play ball.

After that, I’d agree. We’ll still be figuring out the best plan B

16 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I think that's a PR thing, and I think he's being abrasive unnecessarily. That type of stuff usually comes back and kicks you in your rear. I can respect a competitor saying I'm the "badest" mofo out there but you have to know when to become a politician and compliment everyone and defer all praises to your coaches and teammates. He's failing the PR aspect, that's all. 

Agree. He reminds me of a late career Cam Newton personality. I get the feeling he thinks he has already arrived yet he hasn't played a down in the NFL. Where is the humility? Maybe it doesn't exist. That is the aspect about Caleb that gives me reservations. That being said I could live with it if he balled out and was just a superstar villian to the rest of the league. 

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Agreed, I think it would be the height of stupidity to put JJ out there right away.  Like if he absolutely blew the doors off in practice and preseason, maybe you ease him in but I don't think that would occur. Even as a McCarthy believer, I think the pattern established at Michigan was best. Have him take a few snaps as a change up, garbage time in his first real year. Then you start him.

As for the quote from Kelly, that still seems limited to me.  I don't know that JJ had any autonomy or not. I do know that Daniels was in the midst of a Heisman run and even the stuff where people are all of a sudden aware that McCarthy isn't Big Ben seems....odd to me. I just treat everything as agenda-driven narratives until proven otherwise. I'm not seeing where he called plays, but was responsible for parts of the alignment, audibling if the protection was overloaded or something like that.

What I do know is that specific moments that McCarthy is talking about something he saw from film study or recognition that impressed me. His run in the title game that got them out of trouble was something even Sherrone Moore was at first upset about, then saw the gain, and heard the explanation and agreed with. His NFL level throw vs. OSU was also him recognizing that in a certain route or coverage depth the Buckeye didn't turn his head. So he knew he could make that throw and drop it in to Wilson.

For BayouBrave who calls him a game manager---who does a game manager be among the best in the country in a run oriented offense at pushing a pass on 3rd down PAST the sticks? (and completing them)?  Game managers check down and hope to get a first down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Apparently the trade market for Justin Fields is pretty small

That was one of the main points of the PFF guys from what they were hearing at the combine.

Guessing Atlanta but they might not have that much competition for him.

13 hours ago, NOLA2DC said:

I agree but we need remember guys like Peyton and Mariono were basically statues. I'm not saying he should be a high pick, but in the right situation, he could shine, and I think he has value as a late first-round guy with a team that's stacked already. 

My initial reaction when I hear you compare Penix to Peyton and Marino...😄

Dont Say That Dont Ever Say That GIF - Dont Say That Dont Ever Say That Adam  Sandler - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 6

34 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Just don’t see it with McCarthy. He is Daniel Jones 2.0. A game manager, nothing less nothing more. I pity whatever team trades up and drafts him. I’d take Penix or Nix over JJ.

I think McCarthy is a second round talent. But the only reason he was a game manager was because he was forced to be by his coaches. He is a dangerous off platform player when he has to do it. Although he also will throw picks while doing that as well. McCarthy can play. My problem is we have way too small of a sample size to risk the future of the franchise on the guy. 

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was one of the main points of the PFF guys from what they were hearing at the combine.

Guessing Atlanta but they might not have that much competition for him.

The latest is that Atlanta is not interested. 

The report Benjamin Allbright responded to said that there is not one team that is really looking to trade for Justin - not Pittsburgh nor Atlanta. There are other free agents like Kirk Cousins that teams are interested in. 

Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver and Vegas all see the Justin Fields situation like this:

1. Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill or see if they can move up to draft a QB (Atlana is expected to go after Kirk aggressively first then the draft, Raiders want to trade up)

2. If neither of those options work out then maybe teams consider Justin Fields

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Listened to PFF commentor from Pardon Your Take saying he's heard rumors at the combine that this team might be interested in Kirk.

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The latest is that Atlanta is not interested. 

The report Benjamin Allbright responded to said that there is not one team that is really looking to trade for Justin - not Pittsburgh nor Atlanta. There are other free agents like Kirk Cousins that teams are interestes in. 

Atlanta, Minnesota, Denver and Vegas all see the Justin Fields situatuion like this:

1. Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill or see if they can move up to draft a QB (Atlana is expected to go after Kirk aggressively first then the draft, Raiders want to trade up)

2. If neither of those options work out then maybe teams consider Justin Fields

Yeah the PFF guys also mentioned interest around the league in Kirk.

I am one of the bigger Kirk guys here.  He probably is the most hated player of all time from some of our fans but not me.  Having said that he's like 36 years old and coming off an ACL injury so I don't get it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listen to one of the Pardon Your Take guys saying he's heard rumors at the combine that this team might be interested in Kirk.

Oh JFC I thought you meant "this team" to be us for a second. Everything came full circle in a bad way with that.

McCarthy would be perfect for Miami or Dallas. Trade your expensive overrated QB and reload your window with a young game manager type with upside.

He's not a guy you build a franchise around but would be excellent in that Brock Purdy kind of role.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Now he feels the need to go and take over other players media sessions? It is just weird. 

Always something with him. He's just gonna be one of those personality headaches and it'll only be made worse if he were to play for his hometown team.

Heck of a talent no doubt about it but...I don't know. I feel like he just won't be easy to root for.

As far as McCarthy having the frame to add weight, I don't think QBs usually change much physically once they get to the NFL, maybe add a little weight, but don't see altered physiques (at least not in a good way, Mr. Mahomes).  Also, I just don't know about the frame man...

J.J. McCarthy up and down in 335-yard Purdue performance

Just saying if we were all at a party, those are not the chicken legs I'd choose for dipping in some blue cheese. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did mean this team. 

I have been out of the loop for a couple months. So reports are looking like we are going to take a quarterback with the #2 pick and start Kirk?

It's 2012 and 2014 all over again.

I’ll start this by saying I’m not advocating a trade down, not yet anyway…..

However, it would be very interesting to see what we would/will/are being offered for that #2 pick. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that he's like 36 years old and coming off an ACL injury so I don't get it.

Especially having the second pick in the draft. If we were middle of the draft order? Fine sign Kirk. But we have a chance to pick a legit franchise QB for the first time in 13 years. We need to do it. 

Just now, Est.1974 said:

I’ll start this by saying I’m not advocating a trade down, not yet anyway…..

However, it would be very interesting to see what we would/will/are being offered for that #2 pick. 

Due diligence should be done on ALL options.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Now he feels the need to go and take over other players media sessions? It is just weird. 

Yeah, saw something weird a while back, I think it might've been PFF guys, quoting an NFC exec on how surprised they were at the subdued comments on Caleb from his USC teammates at the Senior Bowl, saying it really stuck out because usually teammates are the most enthusiastic when questioned about top prospects.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said this too but he said its not from the team as to sources and this take is the opposite of that the PFF guys heard

If the Bears 100% want Caleb, it could get lively.