Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah true, but its just dumb. Its just unsubstantiated rumor prefaced with "unlikely to happen." Nobody is actually reporting anything.

Every "report" is just "team A could do this! but they probably wont. but they could!!"

Newsflash: I could have a three some with my wife and her super hot friend. I probably won't.  But its possible! But its unlikely.

Well not with that attitude! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Simms putting out his list today I guess?

Heard on a player profiler podcast today with a footballguys analyst that Williams has an even slower snap to throw "time" than Fields. Viewed it as hugely alarming, and very much justifying if he was at 1.01, moving down to take Maye or Daniels. 

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

JJ will be riding the bench while Caleb, Jayden, and Maye are running out on the field as starters day 1. He is not the most pro ready. He played with a dominant oline and handed the ball off a ton. Good arm but a real lack of touch. He just rifles every ball. Has a lot to work on there. 

I’d want JJ to sit a year or 2, never heard anyone say anything about a lack of touch on his passes, I’d love to see a link with someone who agrees with you on that front.

Id want Maye to sit a year or 2 as well. Both for 2 distinct reasons. JJ to focus on getting a NFL ready frame, and Maye to learn the nuances of running a pro style offense while fixing his inaccuracy issues.

Caleb is to talented to not start day 1, and Daniels is already a 5 year starter in college, and his speed is just to good of a trait to not have on the field.

But just because Caleb and Jayden should be better day 1 starters it doesn’t mean that JJ and Drake wouldn’t be better in year 3 onward.

• Like 1

Just now, alaroche04 said:

I think bringing in Cousins while seasoning a young guy behind him is extremely smart.  I'm not a huge fan of Cousins, never have been, but I've always been a fan of young quarterbacks sitting for a year or two.  I know it's not ala mode anymore, but to me it's the best way to develop a QB. 

How smart is paying him say $35M a year and hurting your ability to build a roster around the young guy you just drafted? Set aside the question of if its better to have a young QB sit for a year or start from day 1 (no right or wrong answer IMO - each situation is different). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Lamar has put on about 5 lbs since his college days. I’d imagine Jayden does the same. 

What was the time gap because I saw an interview where he said he put on weight this past summer?  I don't know how much he can add without affecting performance. Also, what is the ideal playing weight for him. This is a basketball reference, but Mutombo would never be as big as Alonzo. Daniel can get more tone, but I'm not sure about mass. 

1 minute ago, NOLA2DC said:

What was the time gap because I saw an interview where he said he put on weight this past summer?  I don't know how much he can add without affecting performance. Also, what is the ideal playing weight for him. This is a basketball reference, but Mutombo would never be as big as Alonzo. Daniel can get more tone, but I'm not sure about mass. 

Just going off his senior season and recent profile. 

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

How smart is paying him say $35M a year and hurting your ability to build a roster around the young guy you just drafted? Set aside the question of if its better to have a young QB sit for a year or start from day 1 (no right or wrong answer IMO - each situation is different). 

Yeah cousins would be to expensive, and with paying him that much we’d need to use all of our picks and cap to focus on winning now. We had 3 years of that under Ron, and it didn’t work out. Ron’s 4th year was just a bad year, in part because of the win now mentality for the prior 3.

With a brand new coach and staff that look to be better than we’ve had in a while, with a new GM that supposedly has a great eye for talent, I’m really hoping we can try to build the roster for long term success.

One way to possibly win now and still build for sustain success is to find a real cheap vet to start for a year or 2 to pair with a rookie qb, while also being able to trade back and get our qb this year, while picking up an extra first or 2. Too bad JJ rising up the board is making that look less likely. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Caleb seems like a headcase somewhere between Johnny Manziel and Cam Newton. He will be in the conversation with Jamarcus and Bryce Young as the biggest QB busts of all time. 

I absolutely agree he can be and likely will be a bust. Same with Maye. I would say every player projected in the first at QB has a 90% bust chance. Jayden Daniels is 99.999% at best however. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Just going off his senior season and recent profile. 

That's a good six years of natural weight gain. He may be able to put on an extra 5 before the season at most. I think that's up to the team to draft him. He'll never have the mass to survive being slammed like he was in the Bama or Miss. St. a games, but he needs to slide quicker. 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

I absolutely agree he can be and likely will be a bust. Same with Maye. I would say every player projected in the first at QB has a 90% bust chance. Jayden Daniels is 99.999% at best however. 

Poster 1: I like QB A

Poster 2: I like QB B

Poster 3: I like QB C

Poster 4: I like QB D

SoCal:

YARN | you're all going to hell! | The Simpsons (1989) - S19E05 Comedy |  Video clips by quotes | 27d47505 | 紗

• Haha 11

26 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Michigan ran a very pro style offense, albeit with a lot more rushes, but he is probably the most well versed to come in and understand the nuances of the NFL offense more than any other qb coming out this year.

Why? He wasn’t allowed to audible and didn’t handle protections, right? Harbaugh kept him on a short leash. You’re just saying things at this point. He played under center a lot. That inherently makes QB’s lives easier, and some of the more touted prospects will have to get comfortable with it, true. But not many NFL teams are doing it much anymore. It’s an overstated advantage for McCarthy. 

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why? He wasn’t allowed to audible and didn’t handle protections, right? Harbaugh kept him on a short leash. You’re just saying things at this point. He played under center a lot. That inherently makes QB’s lives easier, and some of the more touted prospects will have to get comfortable with it, true. But not many NFL teams are doing it much anymore. It’s an overstated advantage for McCarthy. 

Come on man, you know just as well as everyone else that Michigans offense was more of a pro style offense then any of the other qbs

• Haha 1

As great a story as Brock Purdy being drafted last is, he's no Kurt Warner.  Purdy's shelf-stocking time is awful and, man, he puts the mayo where the mustard should be.  Imagine going to chomp down on a dog with all your favorite fixins and then, "Ugh, what the?  Dutch style???  Effing Purdy."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Come on man, you know just as well as everyone else that Michigans offense was more of a pro style offense then any of the other qbs

But what advantage do YOU think that brings JJ, in the NFL, when he wasn’t allowed to audible and didn’t call protections? That’s why I posted that you’re just saying things. You’re repeating things you’ve heard but aren’t conceptualizing why it’s a positive, negative, or neutral thing. What will JJ NOT have to learn that the other QB’s have to learn? Where’s the advantage? 

Again, he played under center a lot. Which the vast majority of NFL teams don’t do much. He knows Harbaugh’s preferred verbiage, which may or may not help him in his rookie contract landing spot. But he had no authority in the offense at the line and mostly was asked to play within structure. Again, he wasn’t adjusting things at the line based on what he saw.

So how big of an advantage is it actually that Michigan was more “pro style”? To you, in your words, outside of the buzz words “pro style” what is the advantage that McCarthy has over the other prospects? Other than playing from under center, which I’ve agreed with and offered an opinion on. What does it mean to you, the poster mac8887, not an appeal to authority referring to people on twitter. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He doesn't need to grow. He needs to add weight and people's metabolism slows down as they age, it doesn’t speed up lol

Not from HS to 25 maybe longer that's when my family started filling out, He is 6'3' and just turned 21 a few weeks ago. I could see him putting on 20 lbs in the next several years mostly muscle. LOL

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I doubt it was his call.

I am more so referring to the team being so sure they were going to get Kirk that they didn't bother to do work on any other QBs. I don't know if it was all Peters or even his call, he was there at that time, but its a little crazy to put all your eggs in one basket like that.

Obviously Purdy worked out for them though

Edited by ThatNFLChick

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d say it’s blatantly obvious, Caleb goes #1, after that it’s anyone’s guess. To truly rank the others after that seems incredibly subjective across the board.

I think Maye is the clear second then the rest are equally worthless. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Uhhhh, I hope Adam Peters has learned some things from this

Schefter has been telling this story to anyone who will listen lately because of the Beathard>comp 7th>Purdy angle.

But it’s so ****ing stupid the way he frames the 2017 QB’s vs Kirk Cousins in 2018 FA part. As if their plan was blown up. It was…BY THEMSELVES when they accepted the Jimmy G deal. They didn’t need to do that. But the way Schefter tells it, the implication is different, like they ignored Mahomes and then something unforeseen happens lol. 

He also leaves out that they tried hard to trade that #2 overall pick to us for Kirk, and Bruce/Snyder were too stubborn and bitter to do it. (Which is our gain, I wouldn’t change anything that led to Snyder being gone, just in case)

Edit: also, the idea that the 49ers didn’t do “extensive work” on the 2017 QBs because of a QB they thought they might get in FA an entire year later is ****ing stupid. Who would believe that oversimplification. They did the work. They didn’t like Mahomes or Watson at #2. They were wrong (unless they had character concerns on Watson). Everyone was. It’s that simple. 

Stupid ****ing story for simpletons and he’s so smug telling it. 

Edited by Conn