Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

The front office must have quite the plan.  I mean, you're tossing out offensive linemen and tight ends on a year you're probably drafting a QB at 2.

Wondering how hard we go in FA.  Shultz/OT/OG probably doable but gonna eat a good chunk of cap if you've got decent guys.

Can probably add an RT or IOL in the draft with future LT potential in the 2nd.

I don't think any of the TEs outside of Bowers pique my interest for 2024, they all probably need a year in the NFL oven first.

Gates sucks, Leno is ancient, and we’ve needed to upgrade from Logan for years. Hoping for a major upgrade at all three positions, but any warm body would be just about as good as those guys.

• Like 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Usually I would agree but Peters said he doesn't plan to spend big in FA.

Actually,  he said the team wouldn't go crazy in FA.

But he didn't rule out getting higher priced free agents if the right situations came along.

12 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

You really see Nix as a back up? He is being mocked in the 1st round on most draft boards. Bo Nix had an amazing year this year, was a finalist for the Heisman. I know his Aurburn tape doesn’t look good, but he’s shown to be a real capable qb and has really improved since joining Oregon 

I just cant get the Auburn tape out of my mind.  I definitely wouldn't draft him in the first round.

If he goes to the right team and is able to sit for a year or two, maybe he can become something greater than he has shown up to this point, but I am not high on him at all with regards to how his game translates to the NFL. 

Coaching, opportunity, and playmakers around him will make all the difference with that guy. JMHO.

*edit. For the record, I dont trust Mock Drafts much and I'll even take it a step further and admit I dont trust NFL front offices much when it comes to the player acquisition process. Especially QB. 

Mock draft boards right now are coming from people that do not make player selections. Think about that for a moment... We'll know how the NFL views him in two months when the NFL makes their opinion known on draft day.  Not trying to change your mind, but I will say this.. I am glad that this team is not in position to draft Bo Nix and if GMAP was to engineer a trade down, I doubt he would be the target. 

Edited by illone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Actually,  he said the team wouldn't go crazy in FA.

But he didn't rule out getting higher priced free agents if the right situations came along.

Fair enough. The number of holes just feels daunting on both sides of the ball

• Like 1

1 minute ago, illone said:

I just cant get the Auburn tape out of my mind.  I definitely wouldn't draft him in the first round.

If he goes to the right team and is able to sit for a year or two, maybe he can become something greater than he has shown up to this point, but I am not high on him at all with regards to how his game translates to the NFL. 

Coaching, opportunity, and playmakers around him will make all the difference with that guy. JMHO.

That to me is concerning, bc of age.  If he sits for 2 years he'll be 26.  First starting at that age is...oldish.

Like he's not Brandon Weedon but if he waits around too long he will be.  I think if a team drafts him they gotta kick him out the metaphorical basement by beginning of year 2.

7 minutes ago, illone said:

Yeah, that auburn tape was bad, his legs were better than his arm then, though I do see him being a competent starter but never a top 10 kind of guy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I doubt the Titans trade up when they just drafted Levis.

I think there's Carolina-Corral, Carolina-Clausen potential there, Eagles taking Hurts etc. I dont know how invested they are in Levis, the fact that they traded up for him makes me think they like him but how much? Not sure. He was "okay, for a rookie" this past year, but hell, Howell was almost a full 10 points ahead of him and a lot of people don't like Howell at all. 

I actually like Levis and would probably stick with Levis and trade down if I was Tennessee. 

6 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

That to me is concerning, bc of age.  If he sits for 2 years he'll be 26.  First starting at that age is...oldish.

Like he's not Brandon Weedon but if he waits around too long he will be.  I think if a team drafts him they gotta kick him out the metaphorical basement by beginning of year 2.

Yea, exactly, although I think age is kind of overblown in the NFL.  I am often reminded of Trent Green, Rich Gannon and even Kurt Warner who did not become serviceable starters until much later in their careers.

50 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Why not pick up Russ for a couple of seasons and let him take a beating for 2 years until we get the line ready for Maye to come in. It’ll be hard for him to overcome his inconsistency and inaccuracy issues getting swarmed everygame. Especially now that we’ve got rid of one of our better lineman. 

By then we could have the line rebuilt and strong, and Maye will have worked through his issues.

Sam got broken by a bad line even after to sit a year, Id be horrified to see what he would’ve looked like taking that many hits as a rookie.

Harris, Quinn, and Peter’s said they wanted to build for the long haul, I don’t see a good enough reason to rush a really talented rookie out there to get his spirit, will, and body broke by taking so many hits.

We really need to make this o line better either by draft or free agency or coaching or a combination of all 3 before I’d risk our shiny new toy.

That’s why I’m so confused why people don’t want Russ, vet minimum contract, he either comes in and plays well, making us a wildcard contender for the next year or 2, or at the very least saves our young guys bodies by eating hits for a year getting paid scraps compared to others, because of Denver footing the bill while we rebuild the line. It’s a win/win.

Because Russel Wilson sucks. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Yeah, that auburn tape was bad, his legs were better than his arm then, though I do see him being a competent starter but never a top 10 kind of guy

To me Bo Nix is one of those "what you see is what you are gonna get" type prospects. I doubt his ceiling is much higher than what he has already shown.

JJ on the other hand has shown about 20% of what is is going to become which is why I would be more inclined to draft him based on that upside potential.  Even though Nix showed WAY more in school than JJ, McCarthy has a much higher ceiling.

Again, just my humble opinion.

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

I said yesterday in a post I actually think JJ is going to be the best QB for years from this draft, dude has ice in his veins, his demeanor kinda reminds me of Joe Flacco (doesn’t seem to get rattled and show emotions) but is far better athletically then Flacco…. ppl would flip the freak out on here, but imho if we could move down 3-4 spots and get some extra picks doing so and then draft McCarthy I’d be in Commander Heaven… I actually think he goes to Denver and Payton has his QB for a decade 

Yeah, I wouldn't do that, because betting on a guy who did not produce #'s commensurate with a legit prospect is an absolute ton of projection. At least with Daniels and Maye, they have eye popping seasons and skills, with JJ, you're hoping. You know he was a great high school prospect, you know Harbaugh was looking for that QB forever and finally found him in JJ, but you have to ask yourself: Harbaugh used Luck A TON as a weapon, with substandard Stanford athletes, why didn't he use JJ similarly if he was so awesome? He didn't. 

Makes me wonder. If we weren't top 3, I'd be interested in JJ, but we are, so I'm not. If he hits big, there are hints why he might, but there's a lot more compelling evidence as to why Caleb, Drake and Jayden will hit than JJ, JJ is a hellvalot more speculative and projection oriented thinking. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but for now, I'm not sold, and its a huge risk. 

Mccarthy is the type of guy you draft if your current QB is overpaid and you have a good team. We need to be swinging for a face of the franchise type that can compete for All Pros.

No more settling. Lets go big or go home.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Because Russel Wilson sucks. 

Even if he did he would still be taking the hits are young QB would be taking and it would allow our young QB to develop for a year. Russell Wilson is not a bad QB. He had a pretty good year last year 26 touchdowns to only eight receptions with a 98 passer rating. He was able to compete for a wild card last year and would probably at least be able to do the same in a much weaker conference

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

I said yesterday in a post I actually think JJ is going to be the best QB for years from this draft, dude has ice in his veins, his demeanor kinda reminds me of Joe Flacco (doesn’t seem to get rattled and show emotions) but is far better athletically then Flacco…. ppl would flip the freak out on here, but imho if we could move down 3-4 spots and get some extra picks doing so and then draft McCarthy I’d be in Commander Heaven… I actually think he goes to Denver and Payton has his QB for a decade 

I think JJ might be Qb4 which means he isnt getting past whoever trades up to 4.

If he is the guy, I think you have to take him at #2.

Not sure if you saw the Craig Hoffman interview with Trevor Sikkema, who had JJ going 10th overall to the commanders after trading down and then back up, but even that video has aged poorly because by all accounts NFL teams are falling in love with that kid.

20 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Usually I would agree but Peters said he doesn't plan to spend big in FA.

Peters is not going to go all splashy in FA, maybe a few key positions they spend more on.  

But they're going to have to sign 20-30 new players in FA at some point, because currently they have 22 players from their 53 man roster under contract.  They can draft 7-10.  Basic 2nd grade math says that's 29-32 players.

Just to fill out a roster, they're going to have to sign a lot of guys.

Also, and I can't find it, but there actually is a spending floor.  That was introduced in the last CBA.  Teams MUST spend up to a certain limit.  We're going to be WAY under that, so we're going to have to spend something in order to both get over the floor and sign enough players to play a football game.  

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Fair enough. The number of holes just feels daunting on both sides of the ball

They might be, and it's going to take more than a year to fill all of them.

But they have good draft capital and a ton of cap space and so few players under contract, they're in great shape to basically do whatever they want to do.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mccarthy is the type of guy you draft if your current QB is overpaid and you have a good team. We need to be swinging for a face of the franchise type that can compete for All Pros.

No more settling. Let’s go big or go home.

What’s the matter you don’t think McCarthy has a pretty face?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, illone said:

To me Bo Nix is one of those "what you see is what you are gonna get" type prospects. I doubt his ceiling is much higher than what he has already shown.

JJ on the other hand has shown about 20% of what is is going to become which is why I would be more inclined to draft him based on that upside potential.  Even though Nix showed WAY more in school than JJ, McCarthy has a much higher ceiling.

Again, just my humble opinion.

The bolded part is all pure speculation though. That's why McCarthy is such a hard guy to really evaluate. Sure, he has some good traits, but it's not like he's some physical specimen monster who has insane upside but was never unleashed. For all we know, being a game manager is mostly what he'd be best at in the NFL as well. With such a small sample size it's just impossible to know whether he's a guy who can carry a team with his arm. It's a pretty risky bet for a top 5 pick.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The bolded part is all pure speculation though. That's why McCarthy is such a hard guy to really evaluate. Sure, he has some good traits, but it's not like he's some physical specimen monster who has insane upside but was never unleashed. For all we know, being a game manager is mostly what he'd be best at in the NFL as well. With such a small sample size it's just impossible to know whether he's a guy who can carry a team with his arm. It's a pretty risky bet for a top 5 pick.

My thing is, if hes that good, why not unleash him? I know Michigan had a great run game and D but a great passing game makes everything much easier. 

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

What’s the matter you don’t think McCarthy has a pretty face?

I watched one college game this season, it was the Michigan vs. Ohio State game.  

McCarthy went 16/20 for 171 yards.  I had family over who live in Ann Arbor and are huge Michigan fans.  Like, they bleed blue.

Somewhere around the second quarter I turned to them and said, "McCarthy is a good college QB and is not going to make it in the pros."

I might be wrong.  But I watch the games with ONLY an NFL eye, because I don't watch college football.  What I saw was massively unimpressive when compared to what QBs have to do on Sundays. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

JJ McCarthy is dynamite on third down. He was better on third down than any other quarterback in the country this last year. He is also very good at evading pressure. He is also very good at throwing on the run after evading pressure he has a strong arm has great ball placement and have I mentioned how unbelievably he played on third down and while under pressure

his mobility and ability to make plays off, schedule project him to be more than just a game manager at the next level. That is why he is the QB that is climbing up all the draft boards right now. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

200.gif?cid=790b7611g23iw9nfwrpi4bsqzoda

>>>>>>>was laughing oh so hard. There's nothing funnier/more disheartening than fans failing to realize that finishing 6-10 is indeed actually worse than finishing 3-13 or 2-14. If you suck, you suck, at least give yourself a damn chance. You'd think after thirty years of this crap, fans would get it, but some of them stubbornly don't. It's pretty funny to see Giants fans looking around and suddenly realizing they'll have to make draft capital destroying trades from hell all simply because they went 3-3 to finish the season after an earlier 2-8 start. The top of this draft was supposed to be a battle royale between Chicago (with two picks in the top 3 in October), New England, Arizona and New York, and every single one of those idiot teams except NE forgot how to tank in the second half of the season and threw open a door for us to bumrush the 2nd overall pick from what was a pick outside the top 10 in October. Absolutely hilarious. Eventually all fans will understand why what the Giants, Patriots, Cardinals, and Bears did was a catastrophe for all four of them down the line, but for now, New England held onto a top 3 pick, the Bears can console themselves with the Panthers #1, but man, the Giants really, really have to feel particularly stupid (especially since the Cardinals already have Kyler even if they maybe we're ready to move on). 

We NEVER EVER should have landed a top 2 or 3 pick, it took us losing out for two months straight and every single one of those teams save Carolina stupidly winning a whole bunch of games to save us from ourselves. It really does feel good. 

• Like 2