Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Is there anyone that hasn't been a star this week in interviews? 😂😂

I think it's all overrated, but this comment about Any Reid wanting to see you in person was interesting.

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

Clutch is a gene

Doesn't McCarthy make you think that he's the under the radar guy who could turn out to be the next Montana or Brady in the right offense? He competes, he's an athlete and he wins. Not comparing him to hall of famers but he feels like the sneaky guy who ends up being the best of the group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

My thing is, if hes that good, why not unleash him? I know Michigan had a great run game and D but a great passing game makes everything much easier. 

This is a fair question, but the ONLY person that can answer it is Harbaugh.

Too bad we can't give that guy a full dose Sodium Pentothal so he would potentially answer the question honestly.

This is a draft strategy I can get behind... truth serum for all coaches when describing their players prior to the draft.

The other day Harbs said JJ should be the first QB drafted 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You've used that 3rd down talking point now about 8,000 times. Do you have anything else? The rest of what you wrote is basically just opinion.

Again, there's zero way to know if he can do more at the next level, because he was on an insanely stacked team and never had to do more even at the college level. Being 100% sure about something like that is ludicrous.

How about his completion rate over 70% for the season or his very low interceptions, or maybe his Td/int ration, or the fact that he is a national champion. When is the last time Drake Maye came close to a 70% completion rate on the season. How about the fact that JJ progressed in his second year while Drake Maye regressed. 

you say there is zero way to know if JJ can perform as well as he has, Drake Maye was regressing against even lesser competition, how are you so sure his regression won’t continue? I mean, by your reasoning that must be bound to happen

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters in that Grant interview flat out said they'd be considering some high end FAs and bargain basement FAs, too.

I get the rhetoric about we want to build in the draft and not via FA.  Who doesn't say that?  Also, hey we aren't going to go nuts and spend big in FA.  Also most say that, too

But I get the sense at a minimum they will play it medium in FA. 

They’re not going to have a choice because they are going to need to have more than 32 players on the roster. 

Unless they decide to trade the #2 overall pick into the entire 6th round…

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Doesn't McCarthy make you think that he's the under the radar guy who could turn out to be the next Montana or Brady in the right offense? He competes, he's an athlete and he wins. Not comparing him to hall of famers but he feels like the sneaky guy who ends up being the best of the group.

I agree 100% and the best part about it is, that he can probably be had while also adding at least another 1st round pick. He has all the tools, a big arm, the smarts, and has been coached hard by one of the best. 

The dude promised they would be back to win the championship and he fulfilled his promise. Only babe Ruth is supposed to be able to call his shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I'm trying to find a sports book that will take future bets on something along these lines... So far all we have is odds on where he will go.

Denver is the favorite at +500.

But yes, I think he could turn into a very special player due to his intangibles.  All depends on the coaching and opportunities, but that part is kinda obvious and applies to most players.

Ahh, combine time.

Endless tweets about how everybody aced everything and everybody's the best.

A little early for this next bit, but I just want to get my stance out there now...

If I catch any of you bozos regurgitating that stupid story from Draft Day about whoever we draft sending the team back their $100 in their playbook I'm going for the jugular and the courts will deem my hate crime as justified.

Untitled-1c.jpg.ccac3e58a6ab8d8f7590ce0ccb9552af.jpg

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

So you watched him go 16 for 20 for 171 yards against one of the best teams in the country without throwing an interception and getting the win, and your take is that is massively unimpressive? That’s nearly an 80% completion rate against one of the best teams in the country.

Incredibly unimpressive from an NFL standpoint.  Struggled with velocity on NfL throws.  Nothing in the performance remotely said “NFL QB.”  

I think it’s different when you don’t watch college football.  Which I don’t.  I didn’t see any NFl throws or concepts or anything that made me think he would be a top NFL QB.

Again, I could be wrong.  I haven’t watched a minute of Maye, Williams or Daniels. 

But to be fair I could watch the other three and think they stink too.  But the one I watched, mostly by accident, was McCarthy and I was massively unimpressed. 

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Adam Peters talking. The usual. He never gives much away

Alright that's it, we need a rule, anybody anywhere who calls our coach "DQ" more than once in any quote has to hand out coupons for a free Blizzard.  I swearah to gawd, if the Commanders don't team up with Dairy Queen on a huge sponsorship deal asap, I'm gonna lose my freaking mind. GAH!

Serenity Now GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Incredibly unimpressive from an NFL standpoint.  Struggled with velocity on NfL throws.  Nothing in the performance remotely said “NFL QB.”  

I think it’s different when you don’t watch college football.  Which I don’t.  I didn’t see any NFl throws or concepts or anything that made me think he would be a top NFL QB.

Again, I could be wrong.  I haven’t watched a minute of Maye, Williams or Daniels. 

But to be fair I could watch the other three and think they stink too.  But the one I watched, mostly by accident, was McCarthy and I was massively unimpressed. 

I’m just wondering how someone can be considered unimpressive throwing 16/20 an 80% completion rate while throwing for 171 yards, and a TD to 0 ints unimpressive. I could possibly understand a take where you said you didn’t see anything that truly excited you, but that completion percentage and added to the fact he threw a TD with 0 picks against a top 10 historically great championship competing team year after year is impressive in its own right. It’s just an odd take. 

On top of that McCarthy is known for having a great arm, with plenty of zip, and the concept’s Michigan runs are NFL concepts.

If you want to be massively unimpressed go watch his game against ball state, or one of Drake Mayes handful of games that he either threw for just under or right around 50% completion percentage in a loss. That is what I’d call massively unimpressive.

Edited by mac8887

22 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

How about his completion rate over 70% for the season or his very low interceptions, or maybe his Td/int ration, or the fact that he is a national champion. When is the last time Drake Maye came close to a 70% completion rate on the season. How about the fact that JJ progressed in his second year while Drake Maye regressed. 

you say there is zero way to know if JJ can perform as well as he has, Drake Maye was regressing against even lesser competition, how are you so sure his regression won’t continue? I mean, by your reasoning that must be bound to happen

No, I never said McCarthy CAN'T continue to improve or get better. I said there's no way to know, and that's risky with a top 5 pick. And yes, Maye had a worse year than 2022, but it's also hard to compare a guy who was on a team with next to no talent around him (and he also lost some of what was there after 2022) to a guy who was on the most overall stacked team in college football.

When you're on a completely stacked team everything is easier. Running is easier, passing is easier, 3rd down conversions are easier, and you have a defense that is beastly and can keep you in games even without your offense doing much.

We've seen what Maye can do when he has no talent around him. We've never seen what McCarthy would look like in the same situation. We've also seen what Maye can do when the team basically relies entirely on his arm. We've never seen McCarthy in that situation.

So yes, it's completely unknown.

47 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He was other worldly he was like 75% with 5 tds to 0 ints. It’s surprising that you are bashing him for doing something others can’t do, playing under center, and expect more from him than all of the other QBs, each of which had better receivers. All of which, JJ still excelled at. Other than having a better online, why is it fair to have to grade him on a higher scale? 

I’m not bashing him, what I said was exactly what I meant. Playing on a team that runs the ball like that, can play action pass like that, with shorter average 3rd downs, from under center—makes 3rd down easier. It’s the opposite of what EB was doing with Howell, we talked about it all season. It’s easy mode for a QB and the exact opposite of what the other prospects were asked to do on 3rd down—pass in longer obvious passing situations, from shotgun, against fully prepared and expectant defenses to subpar receiving talent behind a subpar OL. That’s hard mode. That’s adversity.

I’m not using the difference to “bash” JJ, I’m talking about evaluating him in context being difficult. Especially on 3rd down. 

I’m saying JJ needed to be great on 3rd down for it to not hurt his eval. And he was great there. But listing it as one of his greatest strengths is double counting it in his favor, because his excellent 3rd down efficiency is the most obvious downstream effect of the great situation he was in that you already have to evaluate around to get a feel for how he’ll produce with more adversity at the next level. 

Edited by Conn

9 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

IOn top of that McCarthy is known for having a great arm, with plenty of zip

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with that, especially as a blanket statement.  One of the biggest unknowns about him is how good his arm really is, and to date scouting reports have been all over the place on related opinions.

Maybe he really does have a cannon and just didn't get chances consistently enough at Michigan to really show it. I think his throwing session tomorrow at the combine will have a zillion GM/Coach/Scout eyeballs on it.

Example, from Bleacher Report: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089502-jj-mccarthy-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-michigan-qb

— One-speed thrower with average arm talent. Often fails to add arc and touch when necessary, especially outside the numbers.

Edited by Dah-Dee

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Even if we did want Wilson, why would he want to come here? To be a punching bag and mentor for our face of the franchise #2 pick to replace him?

Just doesn't sound realistic on either side. 

No one will sign Russ doing free agency.  He likely doesn’t sign somewhere until someone gets injured either In camp or doing the regular season.

Teams rather try their luck with rookies than Russ or Justin. Also, looks like Steelers want only a qb to compete with Kenny; as they want to run it back with him one more year.

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Actually,  he said the team wouldn't go crazy in FA.

But he didn't rule out getting higher priced free agents if the right situations came along.

My guess they will target one or two big free agents but most of free agents will be from the bargain bin.

Adam’s specialty is finding gems in the draft and think he can apply that to draft.

• Like 1

Every single FO and coach interview at the combine is basically a Rorschach test. Everyone sees what they want to see and hears what they want to hear. A person who wants to trade up listens to a generic "We'll leave all options open to help our team" answer and hears "OMG trade up!" while a person who wants to trade down listens to the same clip and hears "OMG trade down!"

Meanwhile the truth is that nobody is saying anything of substance at all.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Teams rather try their luck with rookies than Russ or Justin. Also, looks like Steelers want only a qb to compete with Kenny; as they want to run it back with him one more year.

I also think part of the reason is that even with the increased salary cap, some teams are still in such a squeeze they'd have to do some seriously juggling to fit even a mid-priced FA QB in.

Pittsburgh, for example, looks to currently only have $4.3M in effective cap space including whatever cuts happened today, Seahawks have $7M. Broncos are $20M over the cap, Saints $21M over. Giants and Jets also in bottom half of league for effective cap space available.

So I think there's gonna be quite the fight over rookie QBs in this draft.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No, I never said McCarthy CAN'T continue to improve or get better. I said there's no way to know, and that's risky with a top 5 pick. And yes, Maye had a worse year than 2022, but it's also hard to compare a guy who was on a team with next to no talent around him (and he also lost some of what was there after 2022) to a guy who was on the most overall stacked team in college football.

When you're on a completely stacked team everything is easier. Running is easier, passing is easier, 3rd down conversions are easier, and you have a defense that is beastly and can keep you in games even without your offense doing much.

We've seen what Maye can do when he has no talent around him. We've never seen what McCarthy would look like in the same situation. We've also seen what Maye can do when the team basically relies entirely on his arm. We've never seen McCarthy in that situation.

So yes, it's completely unknown.

What are you talking about no talent around him, UNC had more talent but all but 2 of the teams in their own conference, compared to a lot of teams that they played, they were stacked. You act like he was a QB for a D2 school. Yes Michigan had more talent around the board, but in the last 2 years, UNC had better receivers.

Maye went 24 of 48 in a loss to Virginia, at least when Michigan did rely on McCarthys arm, he kept them in a game in which his defense folded against TCU, and if not for a tipped ball and one other bad throw, would have willed his team to a victory, and that’s playing against a team that made it to a national championship.

If you notice when Maye was playing competition close to equal or better than his own his team he played very underwhelming consistently. 

In the NFL teams are usually pretty evenly matched, does that mean we should expect Maye to struggle in everyone of those games unless he plays the dolphins? Because the only time he ever played well against a good team was against Miami.

why do you continue to hold all the others to a higher standard then Maye, you’ve done it with Daniels and now McCarthy 

Edited by mac8887

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

What are you talking about no talent around him, UNC had more talent but all but 2 of the teams in their own conference, compared to a lot of teams that they played, they were stacked. You act like he was a QB for a D2 school. Yes Michigan had more talent around the board, but in the last 2 years, UNC had better receivers.

Maye went 24 of 48 in a loss to Virginia, at least when Michigan did rely on McCarthys arm, he kept them in a game in which his defense folded against TCU, and if not for a tipped ball and one other bad throw, would have willed his team to a victory, and that’s playing against a team that made it to a national championship.

If you notice when Maye was playing competition close to equal or better than his own his team he played very underwhelming consistently. 

In the NFL teams are usually pretty evenly matched, does that mean we should expect Maye to struggle in everyone of those games unless he plays the dolphins? Because the only time he ever played well against a good team was against Miami.

I love how you just completely disregard the fact that McCarthy was on an absolutely stacked team and wasn't asked to do much vs Maye who was basically their entire offense and they had to rely on his arm every game.

Even people who really like him (except you) admit that it's tough to evaluate him because his team was so dominant and he didn't have to do much.

As far as Maye's supporting talent, he had one NFL worthy guy around him, and that was Tez Walker who is maybe a day 3 pick. He also had a crap OL, while McCarthy had a great one.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1