Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Damn. PFF just dropped their post-SB mock draft.

Has Washington trading #2 to the Broncos for #12, 2025 1st and 2nd, and 2026 1st

Then has us trading #12 and #40 to Jets for #10 and #73 and drafting JJ McCarthy.

I don't see it.

If it occurs, it means they feel JJ processes better than the top 3 so may have brighter NFL future

It would set the team up for the next couple drafts but they really need more talent infusion now

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bh32 said:

Allen also doesn't have the team that Purdy does..Jackson is a one trick pony..stop his running and he is done.

KC didn't stop his running if he left plenty runs on the field and how much games he won with his arm. If you watched Mahomet you used his arm and legs

The bears look like they could be really good. I'm surprised nobody has suggested them trading back with us and drafting harrison while signing kirk cousins to be there starting qb. They would be instant contenders to win the nfc and would have a window of 3 years of being really serious contenders.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know if he was a better college player either, but absolutely nobody had Herbert as a top 2-5 prospect in the 2020 draft. Maye on the flip side has been heralded as a top-2 pick for a couple years.

Now that doesn't guarantee anything of course. But just in terms of where they stand as prospects, Maye is more highly regarded at this point in the process than Herby was.

Yeah but, it's a little worrisome that maye is less heralded as the #2 qb in the draft now than he was at the beginning of the year or even into last year. I would've liked for him to of cemented himself as a top guy with his play, rather than it being because of his measurables and projections.

Herbert was a draft day riser, I wanted us to draft him so bad when he came into the league. I liked him as a prospect much more than I like maye. Maye. Maye looks like a poor man's justin herbert, he's not as big, not as strong, doesn't have the mechanics that Herbert had coming out, and maye is slower going through his reads, which really worries me after watching howell hold the ball forever this year. 

But if the coaches decide he is the guy, I'll trust their decision and be the guys biggest fan unless he proves pretty quickly that he is not the answer. If he grades out to the staff to be Herbert esk, you run to the podium and make the pick

Edited by mac8887

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Has Washington trading #2 to the Broncos for #12, 2025 1st and 2nd, and 2026 1st

Then has us trading #12 and #40 to Jets for #10 and #73 and drafting JJ McCarthy.

They go 2 rounds and have Commanders taking Chop Robinson, EDGE PSU at #36.

Not sure our fanbase would be too thrilled with that. I do like McCarthy. And the extra draft capital of having 1/1/2/2 next year and 1/1/2 the following year. 

McCarthy in the Top 15. 

Tis the season that these mockers start jamming 5 or more QBs in the 1st round.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure our fanbase would be too thrilled with that. I do like McCarthy. And the extra draft capital of having 1/1/2/2 next year and 1/1/2 the following year. 

Those 2025 & 2026 first round picks would likely be in the late teens to early 20s. No thanks. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Funny, this guy said the ACC defenses were better than the SEC. 😀 

In 2023 the SEC had 3 teams with defenses in the top 30. ACC had 6 and Big 10 had 6.

The SEC is mostly just riding on reputation for defense right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Those 2025 & 2026 first round picks would likely be in the late teens to early 20s. No thanks.

Is right and just one of the variables in such a scenario. Get the QB right (or at least aim to) whilst we’re in a rare position this year and it (theoretically) gives us the freedom to be flexible in future drafts. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

J.J. gets to sit a year while the rebuild starts for the next couple of years. Build through the Draft has got to start somewhere.

Yeah, it's one path you can take. Not sure if it's the path, but you never know. If the FO feels McCarthy is the dude, and you can trade back and still get him ... the issue becomes if you trade back and don't get your guy. Hence the trade back up ahead of Minnesota at #11 in this mock, but that's getting dangerous. Maybe they'd see the future 1sts as a backup plan and roll with Howell. Idk. 

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, it's one path you can take. Not sure if it's the path, but you never know. If the FO feels McCarthy is the dude, and you can trade back and still get him ... the issue becomes if you trade back and don't get your guy. Hence the trade back up ahead of Minnesota at #11 in this mock, but that's getting dangerous. Maybe they'd see the future 1sts as a backup plan and roll with Howell. Idk. 

Minn. cannot not match what Wash could offer in a trade back up at that point, if Wash traded down picked up future 2 1's 1 2 to add to this year, do not think anybody could either.  

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This is what I have been saying about Mahomes. I think with Caleb entirely too many people are looking at the off platform stuff and going 'Mahomes!' and ignore all the other stuff that Mahomes does well

Yeah this is a good point. Mahomes can pull some jaw dropping plays out of his ass, but those superman highlight reel plays overshadow how much other stuff he does right that allows him to be able to do the crazy improvised stuff.

It's sort of like watching an amazing jazz musician play a completely improvised set. You see it and think that he's just a superhuman because of the improv chops. And he absolutely does have plenty of natural musical talent. But you also don't see the hundreds or thousands of hours of studying music theory and practicing the basics that allows him to be such a masterful improviser.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I wouldn’t sleep on a QB like McCarthy, kid is a winner I have no problem drafting down taking him with the intention of getting good talent around him and building the team. 

The risk would be how far they can trade down and still land him, if that is indeed the intention. Once you get to about pick 5, it opens the door for a ton of teams in the 10-20 range to be able to trade up. So even if you feel you can still land him based on the draft order, that might not necessarily be the order as the draft plays out. 

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah this is a good point. Mahomes can pull some jaw dropping plays out of his ass, but those superman highlight reel plays overshadow how much other stuff he does right that allows him to be able to do the crazy improvised stuff.

It's sort of like watching an amazing jazz musician play a completely improvised set. You see it and think that he's just a superhuman because of the improv chops. And he absolutely does have plenty of natural musical talent. But you also don't see the hundreds or thousands of hours of studying music theory and practicing the basics that allows him to be such a masterful improviser.

Oh look we agree on something! Williams COULD BE great but I feel like people are leaning soooo hard on the traits and ignoring all the little things he did not so well when declaring he's a better prospect than someone like Burrow. We saw thie before and PFF points it out. I think Caleb Williams has the highest ceiling and also the highest potential to bust (its a bit less likely than someone like Wilson because Chicago has a lot of pieces)

"The NFL is always chasing traits. Forever, the big, strong-armed quarterback was the prototype. But the modern game is faster. The ball must get out within three seconds, or your quarterback must be able to manage the pocket, escape pressure, and make plays with their arms and legs on the hoof.

But evaluators get tunnel vision. We allow what we see from the exceptional at the NFL level to become expected. There is no better example of that than Zach Wilson. Wilson was a playmaking savant at BYU. He extended plays and leveraged downfield passes away from draping defenders where only his big receivers could make a play.

“What he does as a thrower, and as a runner, is exactly where we are as a league right now,” an NFL college scouting director told Miller in 2021. “He throws some of those 50-50 balls with his shoulders square to the defense after running around in the pocket and I’m seeing Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech all over again.”

The collective “We” becomes enamored with Culdesac quarterbacks. And to be clear, having that ability is absolutely critical in becoming a top-tier NFL QB in 2023. But down-to-down quarterbacking isn’t about running around and creating something out of nothing. It’s about getting to you’re three-step drop, hitch, and delivering immediately off the hitch.

It’s about finding the hot against Cover 0 and consistently getting the ball out of your hands in under three seconds to your playmakers. And that was conveniently ignored with Wilson. Despite having similar — if not better — red-zone numbers than Williams, it was clear that when the field shrunk, so did Wilson. And we’ve all seen his style hasn’t necessarily translated well to the NFL level."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bh32 said:

Not true..Chiefs just would of bypassed the FG at the 9 yard line and went for the touchdown..SF lost because Purdy couldn't sustain drives and get touchdowns..The guy is just too limited physically..

You are making a huge assumption in that the Chiefs would have scored a TD from the 9 on the next play 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

This is what I have been saying about Mahomes. I think with Caleb entirely too many people are looking at the off platform stuff and going 'Mahomes!' and ignore all the other stuff that Mahomes does well

Agree. Its a fool's errand chasing unicorns.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I will take things that are not going to happen for $500.

We need a QB - if there is a QB available at #2 worth a team trading two firsts and second for why would not just take that QB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1