Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

My biggest issue with Maye is that watching him

play since my nephew goes to unc and I love football (watched him live 4 times), he just completely misses wide open receivers with a clean pocket enough to warrant some concern, its something I don’t want to see as often I did from a potential franchise  qb, but yes his arm

is strong and he’s def athletic I just don’t get the IT factor from him 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Daniel’s best asset is running? He had a 72 pct completion percentage throwing 40 tds and 4 ints 

Yeah to wr's that are gonna be drafted in the 1st round...how many of Mayes are gonna be drafted in the 1st round? Who's WR's had the most drops?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

So not really sure what you mean though. 

You're misremembering how well regarded Herbert was as a prospect.  This is what I mean about how hindsight has biased the perception of what Herbert was like as a prospect.  Herbert as a top five pick was absolutely an outlier take that only a few people like Gil Brandt had before that draft.  Most had him ranked in the teens and 20s.  For example, Daniel Jeremiah had him 20th.  Matt Miller had him 27th.  So did PFF.  SI had him 20th.  Kiper had him 9th and can't find McShay's board, but I know for certain he didn't have him in his top ten.  Drafttek had him 12th.  Tankathon had him 10th.  CBS had him 36th.  PFN had him 14th.  Rotoworld had him 25th.  TDN had him 11th.  Walter football had him 19th.

Drake Maye has been the #2 pick in this draft class since midway through his RS Freshman season.  He'd be the #1 pick in any of the last 11 draft classes except the Burrow, Lawrence, and Williams years.  In each of those classes, he'd have been or probably will be the #2 pick.  He is absolutely a much more highly regarded prospect than Herbert was.  He's a much better college player than Herbert was.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yes. Not that Purdy played badly overall (had a freezing cold 3rd quarter though), but take out Mahomes and that Chiefs offense is very very average. Kelce is their only elite player - Mahomes puts that team on his back and carries them. The 49ers are a far better football team top to bottom, but Mahomes is the best QB in the league.

I think Thuney is the best guard in the NFL, and Humphrey and Smith are elite IOLs too.  That defense is dominant and carried them down the stretch of the season and through the playoffs to another SB win.  Their Special Teams is also elite, and their coaching staff is one of the best in the league.

Mahomes is the best QB in the league, but it's close between him and Burrow, Allen, Jackson, and Herbert.  And Lawrence, Love, and Stroud are knocking on that door too.  Maybe Kyler Murray is, but I want to see him play a healthy season first, and keep from killing his coach.  Old Man Rodgers is also only two years removed from being the best QB in the NFL, and I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Hell maybe even Dak is near that level, although that is hard for me to accept.

These dudes are all elite and can top each other in any given year.  Mahomes is the best supported QB in the league, and he'd be the first to admit that.  He is in the league's best and most stable situation, and that is the major factor in why he has three SB rings and the other elite QBs don't have any.

This is not me agreeing with the awful takes that we should punt on QB at #2 though.  It's crazy to pass over elite QB talent when you need it and it's going to be there at your natural pick.  I'm just acknowledging that you don't make elite QB prospects into elite players who compete for Superbowls without putting them in ideal situations with elite support.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Russell as a starter or backup?

Starter, Daniels for example learning the ropes.

Assuming the price for the #1 pick and Williams is too much. Caleb would start without the need for a vet.

6 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

That is complete hypothesis, go with the facts as an eagle Reid went to 5 nfc championships and one Super Bowl as a chief welll yeah, he wasn’t going to fail with Patrick Mahomes, I’m sorry but Alex Smith wasn’t a magical chess piece to the success imo which is just that my opinion, but you can’t tell me with full certainty that Smith was pivotal for Mahomes. 

It's not a hypothesis. Mahomes and Reid have both openly spoken many times about how important Smith was to Mahomes and his development. How he took Mahomes under his wing, how he taught Mahomes how to prepare, what it takes to be a pro, nuances about NFL defenses and offenses, how to be a good leader in the pros.

Don't tell others to "go with the facts" when you have the people themselves who were directly involved talking publicly about the whole thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think Thuney is the best guard in the NFL, and Humphrey and Smith are elite IOLs too.  That defense is dominant and carried them down the stretch of the season and through the playoffs to another SB win.  Their Special Teams is also elite, and their coaching staff is one of the best in the league.

Mahomes is the best QB in the league, but it's close between him and Burrow, Allen, Jackson, and Herbert.  And Lawrence, Love, and Stroud are knocking on that door too.  Maybe Kyler Murray is, but I want to see him play a healthy season first, and keep from killing his coach.  Old Man Rodgers is also only two years removed from being the best QB in the NFL, and I wouldn't give up on him yet.

These dudes are all elite and can top each other in any given year.  Mahomes is the best supported QB in the league, and he'd be the first to admit that.  He is in the league's best and most stable situation, and that is the major factor in why he has three SB rings and the other elite QBs don't have any.

This is not me agreeing with the awful takes that we should punt on QB at #2 though.  It's crazy to pass over elite QB talent when you need it and it's going to be there at your natural pick.  I'm just acknowledging that you don't make elite QB prospects into elite players who compete for Superbowls without putting them in ideal situations with elite support.

Coaching absolutely, defense not sure about dominating but they are certainly very good. Their secondary is excellent. 

But I look at the skill positions on offense and outside of Kelce (who is 34) they are a bunch of JAGS. Rice is a good #3 and a decent #2 - but apart from that they have thin air at receiver. 

Running backs are not bad - but they don’t have anyone you would lose sleep over as a DC

They are good inside on the O’line but their tackles are average. 

The Chiefs need a complete remake of their WR room. 

But they have Mahomes.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Could do worse than Russ Wilson on a short term deal alongside a rookie QB. Just saying….

Have you seen the contract Wilson is on? You want to pay $37M for a bridge year QB?

If we sign a vet (it won’t be a trade) it will be a backup - we could do a lot worse than being Brissett back. If/when we draft a QB #2 overall he almost certainly starting opening day. 

One thing in common between Mahomes and Brady is they've had spells with no name WRs.   You find the right QB, the supporting cast isn't the be all and end all.  

Another reason, among a million why this team needs to go QB at #2. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Coaching absolutely, defense not sure about dominating but they are certainly very good. Their secondary is excellent. 

But I look at the skill positions on offense and outside of Kelce (who is 34) they are a bunch of JAGS. Rice is a good #3 and a decent #2 - but apart from that they have thin air at receiver. 

Running backs are not bad - but they don’t have anyone you would lose sleep over as a DC

They are good inside on the O’line but their tackles are average. 

The Chiefs need a complete remake of their WR room. 

They need an influx of talent which is amazing considering what they did this year

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If we sign a vet (it won’t be a trade) it will be a backup - we could do a lot worse than being Brissett back. If/when we draft a QB #2 overall he almost certainly starting opening day. 

I have posted similar, cure seems like Brissett would be a great player for this situation...assuming he would want that. I imagine he feels like he deserves another shot at being the planned team starter someplace but that opportunity may not exist for him.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One thing in common between Mahomes and Brady is they've had spells with no name WRs.   You find the right QB, the supporting cast isn't the be all and end all.  

Yes and same as Rodgers in GB.  A bunch of second rate, mid to late rounder weapons in most cases.

Also making a few not great OL look good. Brady was a star at that in NE. Hopefully some of that was due to their OLine coach! 

On another note, it did seem that KC was taking advantage of the Greenlaw injury.  They were attacking his side a lot during the second half,

Edited by DWinzit

7 hours ago, bh32 said:

You left out just one detail...SF is loaded with talent compared to Jackson's or Cousins teams.

Ravens kicked 49ers ass, have better D. OL just as good.  Cousins has been on teams with the better WR's, just as good backs and TE's as 49ers, good D too he just cannot get it done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

How he took Mahomes under his wing, how he taught Mahomes how to prepare, what it takes to be a pro, nuances about NFL defenses and offenses, how to be a good leader in the pros.

Any my point remains that all this is negligible in Mahomes success. I think the far greater praise needs to go to the chiefs organization and Andy Reid. 

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

Any my point remains that all this is negligible in Mahomes success. I think the far greater praise needs to go to the chiefs organization and Andy Reid. 

Again, not according to Mahomes. He has stated, on many occasions, how important Alex Smith was to his development. I have no clue why you've decided that your random brainwave conjecture is more concrete evidence than the words straight from the mouth of the guy in question.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

That is complete hypothesis, go with the facts as an eagle Reid went to 5 nfc championships and one Super Bowl as a chief welll yeah, he wasn’t going to fail with Patrick Mahomes, I’m sorry but Alex Smith wasn’t a magical chess piece to the success imo which is just that my opinion, but you can’t tell me with full certainty that Smith was pivotal for Mahomes. 

The facts say that Mahomes himself said that. You are the one that has the burden of proof here. I’m not saying that in a condescending way. 

But Mahomes says he was helpful and I explained ways he could have been.

If you don’t buy it, that’s okay. But that isn’t a fact.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

KC has one of the best young secondaries to go along with one of the best DL but nobody is on Mahomes level right now.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again, not according to Mahomes. He has stated, on many occasions, how important Alex Smith was to his development. I have no clue why you've decided that your random brainwave conjecture is more concrete evidence than the words straight from the mouth of the guy in question.

lol what exactly do you think Patrick Mahomes is going to say about a guy he took the job from?? A lot of qbs come out with praise about veterans that helped them along the way, most don’t become 3x super champions. Patrick Mahomes was different the second he took the field after his first year it could have been any other qb that preceded him and they would get the same praise Alex Smith did, but let’s not

out Smith on a pedestal when he came here and his game preparing skills didn’t do anything for several young qbs that were on this team. I don’t buy that Smith was some big factor in Mahomes success at all 

lol what exactly do you think Patrick Mahomes is going to say about a guy he took the job from?? A lot of qbs come out with praise about veterans that helped them along the way, most don’t become 3x super champions. Patrick Mahomes was different the second he took the field after his first year it could have been any other qb that preceded him and they would get the same praise Alex Smith did, but let’s not

out Smith on a pedestal when he came here and his game preparing skills didn’t do anything for several young qbs that were on this team. I don’t buy that Smith was some big factor in Mahomes success at all 

Ok so you're saying that Mahomes is just making it up to be nice.

Theory of some rando nobody on a message board: totally legit and should be accepted as fact

Words from Mahomes himself: total BS, he's probably lying and the comments should be ignored

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Ok so you're saying that Mahomes is just making it up to be nice.

Theory of some rando nobody on a message board: totally legit and should be accepted as fact

Words from Mahomes himself: total BS, he's probably lying and the comments should be ignored

I’m not arguing what Mahomes said or didn’t say I’m saying Alex Smith had very small impact on Mahomes success if at all… what don’t you understand.

I’m not arguing what Mahomes said or didn’t say I’m saying Alex Smith had very small impact on Mahomes success if at all… what don’t you understand.

Again, what I just said above is still the situation here.

The theory from a rando nobody on a message board should be accepted as fact

The words of Mahomes himself where he talked about how important Alex Smith was to his development is probably just BS and should be ignored in lieu of above theory from some rando nobody on a message board.

Just now, mistertim said:

Again, what I just said above is still the situation here.

The theory from a rando nobody on a message board should be accepted as fact

The words of Mahomes himself where he talked about how important Alex Smith was to his development is probably just BS and should be ignored in lieu of above theory from some rando nobody on a message board.

I think you missed where I said all this is all my opinion you clearly are some person that likes to pick fights behind a computer screen for no reason calling someone a “rando nobody” anyways I’m squelching you enjoy the rest of your day.

• Thumb up 1

I think you missed where I said all this is all my opinion you clearly are some person that likes to pick fights behind a computer screen for no reason calling someone a “rando nobody” anyways I’m squelching you enjoy the rest of your day.

Yes, and the opinion of someone who has no direct knowledge of a situation can generally be ignored vs the actual input from the people directly involved.

And you are a rando nobody on a message board compared to the people involved in the situation, just like I am or any of us are. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems like you need legend TE's to win SB's too. And great line play both sides of the ball also. No Kelcie, Gronk most likely no S.B. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

Seems like you need legend TE's to win SB's too. And great line play both sides of the ball also. No Kelcie, Gronk most likely no S.B. 

It was amazing to me how Kittle was such a non factor in last nights game.  Guy seems to disappear in the biggest games.