Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Hooper said:

And it may well be neither. 

It’s highly HIGHLY likely to be Mayes or Daniel’s. With the odds heavily on Mayes being the pick. 

A lot can happen between now and the draft but something dramatic would have to happen for Williams not to go #1 overall and for us not to select one of Mayes or Daniel’s. 

Im getting more and more set on Mayes. But what I think and $5 will just about get you a Latte.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What? Nobody said they were scouts, but theres been tons of smoke about Atlanta and Vegas wanting to trade up for a QB. Crosby and Adams was after their new head coach Antonio Pierce liked a bunch of posts about trading up for Daniels. 

Thats why there are a bunch of Raiders flags in the comments here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2bQTKrxDgK/?igsh=MWp5dHNpOWcxMjd6bg==

Well yeah. There are a number of teams who need a QB and have picks outside the top 3 - Falcons, Raiders, Vikings, maybe Giants, Broncos. 

In a draft with 3 blue chip type QBs and then some guys there will be lots of teams interested in knowing what it would take to get into the top 3.

But it’s highly unlikely any of the teams in the top 3 will want to trade out. All need QBs (assuming the Bears have decided to move on from Fields).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Bit harsh, but interesting POV. 

I agree with him. And the funny part is that is the BEST part of his passing game. He struggles over the middle, has very little touch in short range passing and continually misses wide open receivers to run instead. He is a legit first round prospect. But he is a serious project for the NFL game. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

You taking wagers?

No kidding. I don't think anyone has a doubt that he's gonna blow up the combine. No doubt of that. The argument is over how much that matters, and how people evaluate Maye vs Daniels as passers. In terms of the running element, Maye did top 50 yards from scrimmage in 13 of 26 starts in '22 and '23 and apparently has a 4.65 probably hand timed 40 (meaning probably 4.70 laser, as a conservative estimate). That's half the reason I find the Daniels definitely leaping ahead argument, speculative at best. Maye appears to be one of the best runners in the draft amongst QB's to begin with, the past decade, outside of that obvious, elite athlete tier (the Fields, Lamar's, Richards and Daniels of the world, are a tier unto themselves, of course). The sense I get from scouts is that Maye is simply a significantly better pro style thrower, period. If he is, which is again, speculative, but if he is, then I don't see how Daniels is gonna climb ahead of him. The whole tight windows thrower, prototype passer, with plus running chops, ideal arm strength, ideal size, etc? How is he passing him? Maybe jumping on the Richardson train? Maybe. 

But I'm skeptical. We'll see, it does seem like some NFL Draft season analysts are in on Daniels, and some are in on Maye, the reports seem to imply Maye is simply regarded as at a higher tier than Daniels, going into to team meetings, but maybe from there things change?

I think I'm skeptical though. While guys have climbed in recent years like Richardson, and Lance, others have fallen like Fields and Malik Willis, and yes, Lamar. I just happen to think when they see Maye at the combine and his pro day, they're going to salivate, at his passing upside in a passing league. It makes me wonder a bit if Daniels will try to put on weight (if he's slimmer than expected) or if he's focused on blowing people away with his athletic testing and less concerned with his weigh in and measurements? Not sure.

But I still see no reason to expect Daniels to jump ahead. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Loving this live Mark vs. Joe debate.  Agree with Mark about Maye’s accuracy issues, but also think it’s primarily related to footwork and can be cleaned up at the next level. While Joe thinks Maye is the best QB prospect to come out in a long time (which I disagree with). Bullock also needs to watch the 2022 tape for a more informed opinion.

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

What? Nobody said they were scouts, but theres been tons of smoke about Atlanta and Vegas wanting to trade up for a QB. Crosby and Adams was after their new head coach Antonio Pierce liked a bunch of posts about trading up for Daniels. 

Thats why there are a bunch of Raiders flags in the comments here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2bQTKrxDgK/?igsh=MWp5dHNpOWcxMjd6bg==

They can want whatever, my only point was that it means nothing. Players hyping up a guy in the offseason happens all the time. If anything, it makes it harder for their team to operate when people associated with the franchise like Adams are openly begging for a trade-up on social media. 

And in the end, every team in the top 3 needs a QB badly. So the Falcons and the Raiders can want to trade up, signal it, beat their chests about it in the media…they still won’t be able to if the Bears, Commanders, and Pats don’t cooperate. They’ll be stuck picking between the second/third tier of rookie QB’s in that case. And all the Davante Adams tweets in the world can’t change that. And my other point was just that NFL players wanting a college guy to be drafted to their team has no bearing on whether the guy is a good prospect or not. So it’s not something that affects how I see any of the prospects. I don’t think, “wow Daniels actually is legit, Davante Adams wants him on the Raiders??” lol

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe is the guy that said Howell was a top 10 QB this season (after the season he still swore Howell was top 10 and close to elite) and blocked anyone who disagreed, said Stroud would be terrible in the NFL and had Carson Strong as his QB2 so I find it real ironic that he is questioning or challenging someone else's QB evaluation

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s highly HIGHLY likely to be Mayes or Daniel’s. With the odds heavily on Mayes being the pick. 

A lot can happen between now and the draft but something dramatic would have to happen for Williams not to go #1 overall and for us not to select one of Mayes or Daniel’s. 

Im getting more and more set on Mayes. But what I think and $5 will just about get you a Latte.

Are you talkin bout Willy Mayes-Hayes or Drake Maye-Hayse? 😜 

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Bit harsh, but interesting POV. 

What I've seen when watching cutups of Daniels, and you can see in these clips, is that the vast majority of the time the LSU passing game seemed to consist of:

1. Get Nabers or Thomas 1 on 1

2. Throw to whoever got the 1 on 1

3. If that fails, Daniels runs

In the clip above you can only see one or two throws where he seems to have more than one read. The majority of them were to his first read, and in most of those he was locked in on his guy from the moment he got the snap (though there were a couple where he seemed to look off the safety a bit).

He also rarely attacks the middle of the field compared to the boundary. This is where the whole "tight window NFL passes" concern comes into play.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Loving this live Mark vs. Joe debate

Dude puts 8 bad passes in 2 years on tape and he has concerns? And I am being funny here. He had a hell of lot more misses than that in those 2 years. As all QB's would. We are trying to project these guys to the pro game. And for me it is Caleb than Maye...then a big gap to the next guys. Daniels first in that stack.

I edited this to add that I do agree with his concerns about Mayes footwork issues. It is his biggest negative. Especially in the pocket. But that is coachable. 

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

One thing about trading, it takes two.

If Chicago trades Fields, then they are taking who they feel is the best qb. So, no one can trade up to #1.

If we feel the 2nd or 3rd qb left is our QB, then we aren’t trading down.

If the Pats are sold on the 3rd best qb, they aren’t trading down.

So those teams further down and needing qbs, likely won’t be able to trade up for the first tier of qbs and will have to settle for second tier.   For someone to else to get into the top 3, either Chicago keeps Fields or Wsh or NE don’t have the other 3 qbs as their qb.  Possible, yes.  Seems unlikely though.

The Raiders would have to give up their next 3 drafts 1st and 2nds to move up. It isnt happening. Atlanta is a possibility though. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What I've seen when watching cutups of Daniels, and you can see in these clips, is that the vast majority of the time the LSU passing game seemed to consist of:

1. Get Nabers or Thomas 1 on 1

2. Throw to whoever got the 1 on 1

3. If that fails, Daniels runs

In the clip above you can only see one or two throws where he seems to have more than one read. The majority of them were to his first read, and in most of those he was locked in on his guy from the moment he got the snap (though there were a couple where he seemed to look off the safety a bit).

He also rarely attacks the middle of the field compared to the boundary. This is where the whole "tight window NFL passes" concern comes into play.

Correct and I would add that if Ben Johnson is the next coach you would think he would prefer Maye because he wouldn't have to water down his playbook because of his ability to go through his progressions and attack the whole field. From what you say in this post a coach would have to taylor his playbook to Daniels skillset at least for the time period until he is more NFL ready. IE BOB Griffin/read option 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I will be shocked if we trade the pick. I mean I guess Johnson and Peters could possibly think they can win a Super Bowl with Howell and build around him. But the odds of having the second pick again anytime soon are pretty low. The one wildcard to me is if they go that route you will end up with MHJ. Who is a truly elite WR prospect. I think they will take a QB. Just no idea which one. And I will be excited with whichever one of the three they decide on. 

Woah. That is interesting as hell. Caleb is back in the game for us. 

Thus far, it's looked like the Bears will take Williams at #1 and we would take either Maye or Daniels at #2. And while I have complete faith in GMAP to pick the best QB for our new system, my gut says it might be a toss-up between the two QB candidates. And if so, it would be valuable to us to trade back one spot with NE and let them pick while giving us compensation for the move up. Then we take whomever is left of the 2.

Now if the Bears are rolling with Fields, they would most assuredly be going after MHJ with their pick, but would not pick MHJ with the #1 pick. They would move back to the first spot that would guarantee the get their guy, which would be pick #3, while picking up big compensation for the move. So in that case, we would move back to #4 to get the pick we would have received if the Bears had just stayed put.

But unless Williams ability is considered in another galaxy, as compared with Maye and Daniels, I don't think we would allow ourselves to get into a costly bidding war with the Patriots just to move up 1 spot. Considering all the needs we have to fill with our picks. But again, I will be fascinated while watching the process. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bh32 said:

Looks like Warren moon.

I think it's the mustache. Though Jayden is really going to have to up his mustache game and bulk that bad boy up if he truly wants to be in that echelon.

GE0uKwIXIAAM4tL?format=jpg&name=900x900

rs=w:600,cg:true,m

• Haha 3