Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

SEVEN HUNDRED rushing yards??? Who do you think he was? Where did you get that idea from? lol 

Designed runs that never happened - no one even threw a dart and predicted EB would try to feature our TEs so we were all left to guess - copy KCs playbook.  What were your predictions?

I did watch NCState game tape and he ran a lot. He had over 800 yards his senior year. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Designed runs that never happened - no one even threw a dart and predicted EB would try to feature our TEs so we were all left to guess - copy KCs playbook.  What were your predictions?

I did watch NCState game tape and he ran a lot. He had over 800 yards his senior year. 

Manziel ran for like 1400 yards or something nuts one year in college. Sam isn’t Manning level slow or anything but he’s not nearly a dynamic enough runner for any of that. I was hoping for more designed runs around the goal line tho for sure. But that was not translating to the NFL. 700 yards would have had him in MVP discussions. Mind you that he elected to skip the 40 at the combine. 

IMG_3025.png

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Manziel ran for like 1400 yards or something nuts one year in college. Sam isn’t Manning level slow or anything but he’s not nearly a dynamic enough runner for any of that. I was hoping for more designed runs around the goal line tho for sure. But that was not translating to the NFL. 700 yards would have had him in MVP discussions. Mind you that he elected to skip the 40 at the combine. 

IMG_3025.png

He's an exceptional runner and should have been utilized more – a budget version of Josh Allen. It's criminal that this aspect wasn't highlighted by EB. At the very least, it could have been employed in critical situations like red zone plays and third downs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He's an exceptional runner and should have been utilized more – a budget version of Josh Allen. It's criminal that this aspect wasn't highlighted by EB. At the very least, it could have been employed in critical situations like red zone plays and third downs.

“Exceptional runner”? 

You guys are really generous with your words lol. Guys, no NFL offense is going to have more than a few designed runs for Sam Howell. He is not that kind of a player. He has functional athleticism much like Trevor Lawrence. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, illone said:

You talkin about Howell?

No way this happens. 

Maybe Snyderatto or Brucey the "Pink Panther" Allen decision making process would net that type of result way before it's necessary, but not the way things are trending now with a competent staff on the way.

Howell is under contract through Jan 2026 (2025 season).

If he was to be offered a 2nd contract with the team it would happen NEXT offseason, not this year.

Hopefully I just wasted 3 minutes typing this out and you actually meant Sam Cosmi...

Can we actually trade Howell and get something for him?

I know it's irregular but maybe this is one of those instances where it's best for both parties.

Edited by El Mexican

45 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Can we actually trade Howell and get something for him?

I know it's irregular but maybe this is one of those instances where it's best for both parties.

It makes little sense to trade Howell. Unless someone offers something interesting, he is under contract for the next two seasons. 

• Like 2

Howell's running ability was more than functional. It was and is very good. He has the skill, speed and wiggle necessary to easily put up a plus 500yd campaign in a Daniel Jones kinda way.

What he lacks is the ability to finish a run not by getting every inch possible, but by protecting himself, and that is a death knell for QB rushing. He did not have a ton of carries this year but a big number ended in absolute car crashes. Most of these could have been avoided if Sam had the mindset to get on the ground himself, rather than run until he was taken down.

I gave EB more flak than almost anybody here but the one thing I will always give him is that he recognized that he had to protect Howell from himself when it came to rushing attempts. It was not a crime to under-utilize Sam's running ability. If allowed to do it, he would not have made it 17 games.

If Howell ever gets it thru his head that he needs to protect himself in the open field, he can be a very good runner. Without that however, his rushing ability does not provide enough of an upside to warrant the risk of injuries or dumb fumbles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, illone said:

It makes little sense to trade Howell. Unless someone offers something interesting, he is under contract for the next two seasons. 

I really hope someone does.

If we take a new QB that's gonna get ugly.

I mean, yet another QB controversy in how many years?

36 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Howell was a good runner, he is just not fast.  I think he ran a 4.9.  But he has contact balance, wiggle in open space, and vision when he is running.  He'd be a fantastic runner if he ran a 4.5 rather than a 4.9.

This is the correct take. Howell isn't a dynamic explosive run threat but he was good at picking up cheap yardage and first downs here and there. I'd have liked to see a few more designed QB runs on those 3rd and 1s and 2s that we instead chose to throw often on and miss often on.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I agree. Bridgewater has had a season with Johnson in Detroit though…..

So both works for me.

I know people will get up in arms about having 2 young QBs on the same roster (PUT IN THE BACKUP and Fan Favorite!) and many coaches avoid it.  But it seems dumb to jettison a cheap backup option out of fear the shiny new QB.... sucks. Oh in that case the ONLY solution is to move to a vet who'll be gone at the end of a year?  The book cannot be completely written on Howell in such a high level dysfunctional organization.

I didnt like taking Cousins but I was wrong and it worked out fine. The other guy sure seems to often be the better guy. I think Maye and Howell would have no issues being on the same team.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

I have a strange question not sure it’s been brought up. Of the top 16 teams with an abundance of cap space. The only team that I would see fit Kirk Cousins more than us would be Atlanta. Would he like to work with Slowik or Johnson? Then we could draft MHJ or trade down from our spot for a ransom. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Howell's running ability was more than functional. It was and is very good. He has the skill, speed and wiggle necessary to easily put up a plus 500yd campaign in a Daniel Jones kinda way.

Yes indeed and 8-12 rushing tds. 

What he lacks is the ability to finish a run not by getting every inch possible, but by protecting himself, and that is a death knell for QB rushing. He did not have a ton of carries this year but a big number ended in absolute car crashes. Most of these could have been avoided if Sam had the mindset to get on the ground himself, rather than run until he was taken down.

He doesn’t seem to align with the expectations you have for him. Not every individual fits neatly into a specific mold. Despite concerns about potential injuries this year, he remained completely injury-free throughout the entire season.

I gave EB more flak than almost anybody here but the one thing I will always give him is that he recognized that he had to protect Howell from himself when it came to rushing attempts. It was not a crime to under-utilize Sam's running ability. If allowed to do it, he would not have made it 17 games.

Squeeze every ounce of talent out of all players, QBs included (especially while getting paid peanuts on a rookie deal—win at all costs). For him to reach his full potential his dual threat abilities needed to be featured heavily. Whats the point with a team dropping back a 6’0 foot QB and keeping him in the pocket if plenty 6’3 plus can do that—must be dynamic at his size.

If Howell ever gets it thru his head that he needs to protect himself in the open field, he can be a very good runner. Without that however, his rushing ability does not provide enough of an upside to warrant the risk of injuries or dumb fumbles.

I disagree; with this mindset, he most likely will not rise above mediocrity. He could likely serve as a backup and situational starter for over 10 years, earning $30 million or more in his career, which does come with financial benefits. Mediocrity can change the financial landscape for future generations, and I understand that. However, as a fan, I’m selfish and indifferent to those financial considerations; I want to support a team with an all-out approach.

13 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

“Exceptional runner”? 

You guys are really generous with your words lol. Guys, no NFL offense is going to have more than a few designed runs for Sam Howell. He is not that kind of a player. He has functional athleticism much like Trevor Lawrence. 

Watch his North Carolina videos; even with limited opportunities, he demonstrated the ability to execute similar runs in the NFL. EB and Ron wiffed big time not leaning heavily into his dual threat ability. 

This is spectacularly hilarious.  

I will look forward to Fudge Howell making the pro bowl with 1200yds rushing and a dozen tds.  In fact, there’s probably several future Hall of Fame coaches working on this masterful scheme as we speak!

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I will look forward to Fudge Howell making the pro bowl with 1200yds rushing and a dozen tds.  In fact, there’s probably several future Hall of Fame coaches working on this masterful scheme as we speak!

Let's break out some old Billy Kilmer plays and win the Super Bowl.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

To be clear, no interest in Howell. It’s January, deal with it lol