Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Am I the only one who thinks Heinicke gets signed back on a one year contract to be the backup?

I mean if you listen to RR presser, he said they had a really good conversation about everything.  It's towards the end.

BTW - RR sits like he's hurting in some way.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

Like it matters which three of our substandard Qbs start against Dallas....it's over and our Oline and OC are at fault for the failure of our season. We won games during the season that we shouldn't have won. It was all an illusion..but we were happy because we beat ****ty Atlanta on a miracle D play. Heinicke derailed the playoffs......stop it. We had no business near the playoffs in the first ****ing place. Howell will suck Sunday because our OC will only be able to use a 1/4 of his playbook....which is two plays, a bubble screen and up the gut handoff. 

QB SCHMUBEE I am psyched to see the Noobie. I hope we don't try to nurture him and hinder our own teams ability to grade him.

It's still mind boggling the Commanders crack PR team thought it was best to wait 17 weeks to unveil the tellytubby mascot. Why not wait 2 more years if waiting was good? A big FU to the kids but even drunk adults high five and take pics with the mascot as they make their way through the stands. Fact is it was a desperate PR stunt to get fans in seats on a week they envisioned we would be out of the playoffs - all to sell tickets.  What pro team doesnt have a mascot at every game??? This team can literally not even do the easiest things right. 

Howell has to save this franchise for we know we won't draft another QB for several more years because that's how we roll. One QB drafted every 4-5 years.  

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Wait…

Heinicke is (reportedly) the reason Howell is starting now? 

That’s… something.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m not surprised that Heinicke would be a stand up guy and teammate. At all. 

If it’s true I’m more surprised that Rivera needed Heinicke to talk sense into him. 

Ron said in his presser that Taylor really helped me in the decision making. Translation he smacked Ron really hard to put some sense in him lol

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right, pardon me for being skeptical that there’s not more meat on this bone.  Heinicke seems like a good dude and all, but I feel like there is probably more at play here. 

Injury would be his concern and him being able to play for either this team or some other team. I am sure his agent told him what is best for him now and for the future. Plus does he really have anything left to prove anyway? I think he knows he has done enough. 

Just a thought: I will bet you Taylor would probably make a better OC than Turner. Really smart in math and numbers too. If no team picks him up I can see him in some sort of a coaching gig instead (which he wanted to do and called Turner for it and Turner said I have other plans for you instead). The guy wants to be in NFL on any level he can be and he is well liked by players too. But will see what happens. 

On 12/23/2022 at 8:20 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

But he didn't go in the first round, he went in the fifth for a reason.  After he was fully scouted, he ended up as a 5th round pick.  At last check, Ron and Scott said he was still working on footwork and tying footwork to his drops and routes.  Translation: he isn't ready.

So you think he is still not ready and Ron is making a mistake by starting Howell?

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So you think he is still not ready and Ron is making a mistake by starting Howell?

Can we really trust Ron's assessment of a QB's ability to play ?

Isn't that exactly how we ended up with Wentz ? 

It certainly looks as though we would have no worse off with just with Taylor and Sammy on the roster but hindsight is ya know 50/50

• Like 1

Poor Terry he's had to play with a crap show at QB his whole career.  I saw Steve Smith say the other day, Terry should go save his career by finding a way to end up with the NY Giants because their QB-passing game >>> ours.  If you told me I'd want Daniel Jones over anything we've gotten, I'd think that's nuts.  But now I do agree with the point. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35378619/commanders-start-rookie-qb-sam-howell-vs-cowboys-finale

Washington also wants to see Howell, a fifth-round pick last spring who has yet to play. He was Heinicke's backup for seven games before Wentz returned from his injury. Howell threw for 10,283 yards, 92 touchdowns and 23 interceptions in three seasons as a starter at North Carolina.

Receiver Terry McLaurin said he was among the players Rivera talked to about the decision. He endorsed the move.

"He makes some throws where the ball comes off his arm and it's like, 'wow, that's a nice ball he threw,'" McLaurin said. "He has a real good touch and I think he has a quiet confidence about him. I'm excited to see how is in a game atmosphere."

Rivera said they saw progress from Howell when he was the primary backup and could get more work as the scout team quarterback.

"A couple guys I talked with today said they felt he was ready for this opportunity," Rivera said. "That was a big part of the reason, too, how people felt based on what we saw during that stretch."

...But Washington turned to Wentz last week because the offense had not scored more than 20 points in seven of the previous eight games. Most of that was due to red zone struggles as the Commanders ranked 13th in total yards during this stretch.

Washington had strongly considered starting Heinicke, knowing the defense it faced Sunday, Rivera said. The Cowboys rank 10th in passing yards allowed, third in sacks and tied for sixth in interceptions. Starting Heinicke would have given Howell a chance to see how Dallas was attacking. It also could have been Heinicke's final start with Washington; he's a free agent after the season.

Heinicke said he was not disappointed to be the backup Sunday.

"Obviously I want to be out there with the guys, but I also understand this is a business deal. We want to see what Sam's got. We've seen it all year in practice, in training camp, preseason. The guy can ball. We're all excited for him."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

I forgot to mention the other day in Keim's podcast, he revealed which was intuitive (but some pushed back on the idea) that when Rivera arrived, Dan wanted Haskins to be the guy that coming year and he suggested that influenced their draft call.  He didn't know if they would have taken a QB without Dan's push but said Dan wanted Haskins to be the dude that coming year.  I gather that's something they discussed when he took on the job.

IMO none of the first round guys are worth a haul to trade up but for those interested, the Bears would be the pivot point in a trade

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/35359752/first-pick-2023-nfl-draft-texans-vs-bears-top-prospects-bryce-young-anderson-jr-cj-stroud-jalen-carter-levis

Teams will be looking to move up the board for a QB. Would a trade down be in play for Chicago?

Cronin: Absolutely. Chicago doesn't have a need at quarterback, so it would be in prime position to take the best trade package available and move back from No. 1 (or No. 2) while still being able to draft a top defensive player. The Bears might not want to move down too far, given Carter and Anderson won't be available for long, but there should be options there.

If Houston falls to No. 2 and has its eyes set on drafting a particular passer, it might be willing pay a steep price to move to No. 1 to ensure that happens and block another team.Teams such as Seattle, Indianapolis, Detroit, Las Vegas, Atlanta and Carolina could also all be in the mix to offer up a big package to get their guy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke is such a great guy letting Howell play in front of the defense that Heini is terrified of, who he slobbered all over last year. What a pal.

So Heinicke is doing this because he's scared of Dallas?  Is that the narrative now?  

Edited by DJHJR86

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Taylor with no running game and a depleted defense against a motivated Dallas team.  Seems like a business decision more than it is charity.  The last thing he wants to do going into FA is have his last game on tape be a bloodbath.

Or maybe he knows he's gone next year and figures that since Howell is going to be on the team, why not let him get the start?  Rivera and Howell alluded to this in their pressers yesterday.

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

So Heinicke is doing this because he's scared of Dallas?  Is that the narrative now?  

It's not like the guy was afraid to run the ball, so he could preserve his starting role, or has ever come up short on a dive, or gone out of bounds instead of punching it in.

I'd guess it's more of a "why bother" situation for him.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'd guess it's more of a "why bother" situation for him.

If Rivera told him that he was going to start but they were going to alternate drives with Howell, he really likes and supports Howell (according to Howell himself)...so I don't understand why it's a stretch for him to tell Rivera just to start Howell because he's earned it with the way he improved.  Heinicke is self aware enough to know no matter how well (or poorly) he plays, he's likely gone from this team in the off season.  

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

If Rivera told him that he was going to start but they were going to alternate drives with Howell, he really likes and supports Howell (according to Howell himself)...so I don't understand why it's a stretch for him to tell Rivera just to start Howell because he's earned it with the way he improved.  Heinicke is self aware enough to know no matter how well (or poorly) he plays, he's likely gone from this team in the off season.  

Um, agreed? Not sure why you quoted me about that. It's what I said.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Um, agreed? Not sure why you quoted me about that. It's what I said.

You did your whole snarky "yeah what a pal he doesn't want to get destroyed by that defense he's terrified of but slobbered all over last year" post.  Which was unnecessary other than to take a shot at Heinicke.

12 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Or maybe he knows he's gone next year and figures that since Howell is going to be on the team, why not let him get the start?  Rivera and Howell alluded to this in their pressers yesterday.

So he’s going to pass up $ solely to be charitable to Howell? Makes way more sense to do the cost/benefit analysis and determine making it to FA healthy is the best possible option.

We like to pretend guys don’t think about this stuff but they absolutely do.  See Lamar Jackson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So he’s going to pass up $ solely to be charitable to Howell?

He's not being "charitable".  He knows they don't want him here and knows Howell is going to be here.  He likes Howell and wants to see him get a shot.  That's it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I would expect the team to want him back for insurance purposes and because he knows the offense and the coaches know him. The players all like him too. Losing TH would mean we would have two more QB's we'd have to bring in to learn the offense instead of just one and that would be in addition to Howell who's never run the 1st team offense. Of course, if RR/Turner are fired then TH likely moves on too...

I think I saw where TH is 12-11-1 as the starter which is better then any other QB we've run out there in his time here. He's a guy they should try and bring back immediately and if they end up getting other guys and don't need him then just trade or cut him....again, assuming this coaching staff is coming back which shouldn't be a given. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

He tell you that this morning?

I get it.  Id' be upset to if the guy I had been championing all year turned out to be worse than Taylor Heinicke.

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I would expect the team to want him back for insurance purposes and because he knows the offense and the coaches know him.

Howell is the insurance for the next few years.  

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I get it.  Id' be upset to if the guy I had been championing all year turned out to be worse than Taylor Heinicke.

Howell is the insurance for the next few years.  

I stopped championing Wentz when he sucked. Then Heinicke sucked and we needed someone else. We were told Howell wasn't ready and although I still wanted him to start, all we had was Wentz. We had to get Heini out, so Wentz went back in and sucked, it's over and now I want Howell again.

I have been "championing" the Commanders and hoping to have any QB on the roster not suck. That never happened. 

I however am not running around making up fake hero worship stories about my mancrush and then defending them to death. That's how you get snark.

• Like 4