Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Howell should be like Heini on steroids. Better wheels and much better arm. I hope we get to see him. I'm sure he'll make lots of dumb rookie mistakes, like Heinike does, but who cares. 

I assure you Ron doesn't feel that way. He needs to win games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

If Heinicke played even D plus, C minus ball we'd have won on Sunday IMO.  I think Howell at a minimum can duplicate the 100 yards and change against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 12
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

It's not happening. There is a tiny chance we can sneak in as the last seed in the playoffs and we only have a winning record if we only lose 2 more games this year.

Everyone knows the season is over.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

It's not happening. There is a tiny chance we can sneak in as the last seed in the playoffs and we only have a winning record if we only lose 2 more games this year.

Everyone knows the season is over.

Well we know that. But Ron is fighting to save his job. I think Wentz will be playing again soon.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t have an opinion on Reich, but 1) that would sure make for a pretty seamless offensive transition, and 2) were we to go that route, I’d really hope we don’t bring Wentz back at his current contract $.

I hadn't even considered Reich, but a reasonable extension for Wentz to free up money and focus the draft on a shut down CB and the IOL and this team could get pretty special, pretty quick.

He hasn't been great since he lost Siriani though and that guy is killing the league. Makes me wonder about him.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I disagree. Pocket passing lets Heinicke break the pocket. That's where he is at his absolute best. Rollouts bring the defense to the rollout, especially with a weaker armed QB who isn't a threat to hit the backside over drag or a backside route. So now run lanes are cut off and Heinicke has to get some zip on the ball to get it into tight spaces. When he breaks the pocket in an umbrella protection, though, the routes aren't all going in the same direction as the QB, so now he is off platform, the D isn't running with him and the scramble drill allows the receivers to create enough space for Heinicke to get the ball in there. Take a look. He plays MUCH better when he breaks an umbrella pocket than he does on designed roll outs.

You can call bunk all you want. Cousins has the arm talent to fit the ball in on flood boot and potentially hit a backside over route. Heinicke doesn't.

I haven't seen any Mander rollouts boots or sprint and stops to throw to look no matter who the QB is.  I think are you over analyzing my point - I want diverse play calls while it sounds like you are saying we can't ever roll out Taylor because he has a weak arm. It doesn't matter if the play works or is called to his strengths. I call bunk to anyone that says we should never ever call a rollout no matter who the QB is, unless you have Rypien grade OL pass pro.

Getting Taylor moving WITHOUT waiting for all the WRs to be covered - maybe just maybe he may able to complete a few while getting the D MOVING laterally and not sprinting straight at him and Robinson on every snap.  Despite being confined to the pocket Taylor struggles anyways again exacerbating pass pro struggles so I really see very low downside risk to let him boot right and square up and try to fire. He doesn't need to throw while sprinting at full speed.

Breaking the pocket is not a play call but maybe it should be. It's not just Taylor that excels in broken umbrellas and chaos.

I like the Molasses Manning Saturday Stretch plays and at the last moment fake the handoff stop and throw. Any QB should be able to run or do something similar; move laterally 10 yards stop set their feet and throw a 10 yard pass to someone right in front of them.  QBs that cannot do that will not be the prototypical mobile QB of the future we are seeing evolve in real time. 

Edited by RandyHolt

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

You know how I said you had takes that were based in reality in the game day thread? I lied. Your Lamar take stinks.

He’s not the best QB in the league but he’s one of the absolute best playmakers in the league, and having that in your QB spot is just as good as a franchise level passer. And he has every single one of the physical traits an elite passer needs, so he has moments of totally elite play in all facets of QB’ing.

I was thinking about this last night watching the game.  If somehow he hits the market we need to be all in, I do not care if it is fully guaranteed or not.  The best way i can describe Lamar is the he is a weapon that happens to play QB. I think he just needs a little polishing regarding being more consistent passing traditionally.  Furthermore, he has never had great wide receivers and G. Roman really likes to utilize the TE.  Transplant Lamar into the current commanders as currently constructed, and this offence would be dangerous.

4 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I was thinking about this last night watching the game.  If somehow he hits the market we need to be all in, I do not care if it is fully guaranteed or not.  The best way i can describe Lamar is the he is a weapon that happens to play QB. I think he just needs a little polishing regarding being more consistent passing traditionally.  Furthermore, he has never had great wide receivers and G. Roman really likes to utilize the TE.  Transplant Lamar into the current commanders as currently constructed, and this offence would be dangerous.

Not sure about that. His cost is crippling. He's the type of guy you love as a home drafted guy but a wildcard in another environment. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Jackson, Watson, and Murray type of Qb would fit are offense perfectly. They are hard to get you can see alittle of it in the the Florida Qb Anthony Richardson but he is a major project.

What offense are you referencing?  The 5 page TH offense, or the typical air coryell offense the team (minus the OL) was built to run?

Of the young QBs, the one which would be the best fit for this offense (or really any offense) is Herbert.  Obviously, Mahomes and Allen can do anything.  Herbert has a cannon, reads the field quickly, and can get the ball down the field, which is the premise of the Coryell/Turner offense.  I'd take Burrow too.  

But you have to protect either of them, and we can't protect for **** at the moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Once it's a blowout I wouldn't mind seeing Howell in the second half Monday night.

Philly hasn't trailed a single time in the second half this year. Drag Heinickes corpse out of there at half time and hit um with the ole rope a dope and start Howell and wreck that streak.

• Thumb up 1