Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

image.thumb.png.2748c39456b1d9ecba64461f6100835f.png

5 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The final 6 points coming on an underthrown ball that is likely an INT if McLaurin doesn't wrestle it way.

This is not what happened IMO, its what some people keep saying on the thread but its not what I saw and I was glad to hear Cooley agree with me when he was on Sheehan yesterday.  Cooley said yesterday there was no way the DB was getting that ball in the position he was in (back pedaling).  Terry had both hands on that ball from the get go.  I've watched it 30 times and at no time did I think the DB was going to come away with that ball. It was underthrown no doubt but it wasn't as hopeless as many are trying to make it out to be.

Who would you rather be, the guy facing the ball as its coming towards him or the guy back pedaling flat footed.  This is a still of right before the ball got there, did you think the guy standing with his feet on the ground had the better chance?

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Except heinicke had a timeout and Wentz didn't. 

Big difference. 

Not defending wentz, that pick was awful but not having a timeout was a major factor.

Not having a TO is irrelevant and not a major factor at all. You just simply can't make a mistake here. Wentz made 3 of them. if you are able to complete a pass and get a TD then game over. It is crunch time and this where you really need your QB to come through and be clutch in this moment. Wentz was not clutch at all. 

Started with 19 seconds left on the clock
1st play - 
McKissic running right and wide open
Wentz throws the ball out of end zone after holding on to the ball for 3 seconds. 

This is where the players were on field on that play before he threw the ball away. See McKissic wide open to right but Wentz didn't even look that way. 

wentz1.thumb.jpg.4494aa55d48d9cd8528040109b5b7395.jpg

now have 13 seconds left

2nd play - 
Curtis wide open to his right 
Wentz throws in the middle and in traffic and incomplete. 

now have 9 seconds left

3rd play - 
No one really wide open but Terry had some space but Wentz throws to McKissic there after staring him down and an INT. 

Taylor would have done something and if nothing at least run to his right on the first play and McKissic blocking for him as he runs into the endzone or a pylon dive for a TD or even run out of bounds to stop the clock and have like maybe a yard to score. Wentz being a statue there and not scanning the whole field even when the OL was allowing him a lot of time too. So I think Taylor would have gotten the job done even with no TO.  

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Who would you rather be, the guy facing the ball as its coming towards him or the guy back pedaling flat footed.  This is a still of right before the ball got there, did you think the guy standing with his feet on the ground had the better chance?

Since Terry had a 5 yard cushion, I’d prefer the ball to be thrown over his outside should so he can catch it with a 5 yard gap between him and the defender and be standing in the endzone.  

If that ball has 8-10 more yards on it, it’s not close to a contested throw. 

TH threw McLaurin into a contested catch situation.  Which is the problem. TH so often throws his receivers into coverage rather than away from it because he lacks the talent to do otherwise. 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Since Terry had a 5 yard cushion, I’d prefer the ball to be thrown over his outside should so he can catch it with a 5 yard gap between him and the defender and be standing in the endzone.  

If that ball has 8-10 more yards on it, it’s not close to a contested throw. 

TH threw McLaurin into a contested catch situation.  Which is the problem. TH so often throws his receivers into coverage rather than away from it because he lacks the talent to do otherwise. 

I don't disagree with anything you said and I'll never waste my time debating that Heinicke is a starting caliber QB but its getting a bit much the way people are acting as if Heinicke threw a Flutie hail mary and Terry made a miracle catch.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

but its getting a bit much the way people are acting as if Heinicke threw a Flutie hail mary and Terry made a miracle catch.

It was pretty close to that.

Where Taylor makes this play is evading pressure and giving Terry a chance.  It was the Heinicke experience all in one play.  Evades pressure, extends the play, and “eff it, Terry’s down there somewhere” style throws a balloon bringing Terry back into coverage.

I give the dude credit for allowing Terry to earn his money, something we generally weren’t seeing out of Wentz.  But practically every other QB that played this past Sunday puts that ball 5 yards deep into the end zone, and Terry scores standing up with a clean jersey.  Heinicke regularly floats passes of this nature, which is why he was available to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But practically every other QB that played this past Sunday puts that ball 5 yards deep into the end zone

It was a short throw and not by design but I just don't see it being as bad as some of you do.

Concerning what I quoted I'm not so sure.  I watch a ton of games (as you probably do) and there's some bad football being played league wide.  I could easily see plenty of QB's choking in that situation and throwing it out of the endzone or too far to the left out of bounds. No doubt there are plenty of QB's in the league that have the physical ability to get plenty of arm on that throw but can they do it with 40 sec remaining in the game down by 6?.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It was a short throw and not by design but I just don't see it being as bad as some of you do.

Concerning what I quoted I'm not so sure.  I watch a ton of games (as you probably do) and there's some bad football being played league wide.  I could easily see plenty of QB's choking in that situation and throwing it out of the endzone or too far to the left out of bounds. No doubt there are plenty of QB's in the league that have the physical ability to get plenty of arm on that throw but can they do it with 40 sec remaining in the game down by 6?.

Sure, a lot of QB’s - even the top tier guys, can miss that throw deep.  But they would with a flick of the wrist get it into the end zone is my point.

Like I said, I give the guy credit for giving Terry a chance to make a play.  There’s no denying that he can pull a rabbit out of a hat.  But that ball coming in short is the primary reason we are in agreement that he’ll never start in this league.  It’s also why I expect things to tighten up as the weeks go by and the magic to subside.  I’ll be more than happy to eat crow on that as I’ve got no personal beef with the dude - I just don’t see the late game heroics to be sustainable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Cooley said yesterday there was no way the DB was getting that ball in the position he was in (back pedaling).  Terry had both hands on that ball from the get go.  I've watched it 30 times and at no time did I think the DB was going to come away with that ball. It was underthrown no doubt but it wasn't as hopeless as many are trying to make it out to be.

chrome-capture-2022-10-21.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't disagree with anything you said and I'll never waste my time debating that Heinicke is a starting caliber QB but its getting a bit much the way people are acting as if Heinicke threw a Flutie hail mary and Terry made a miracle catch.

I’m not going that far.  It was simply an under thrown pass to an open receiver who didn’t actually have to make a miracle catch but was put into a situation where he had to. 

I get that McLaurin loves the opportunities TH gives him and for reasons I don’t really understand Wentz didn’t give McLaurin the same opportunities.  (Could be McLaurin sat out a good bit of the off-season though).

But the issue is TH is so limited he throws guys into coverage. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ll be more than happy to eat crow on that as I’ve got no personal beef with the dude - I just don’t see the late game heroics to be sustainable.

His existence on an NFL field offends me.  :P 

Seriously though, Elhinger outplayed him for 55 minutes and if the Colts didn’t have 2 red zone turnovers, the story is entirely different.

The Vikings and Eagles can pick a number, so 20, and he pretty sure our horizontal offense won’t be able to get to it.

I think our defense is improved, and playing well.  But they’re going to give up at least 20, probably 24 to Kirk.  

And if we have to go away from run the snot out of the ball, it’s going to get ugly fast.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Zero credit by a few for high level of pocket manipulation and poise to get to the Mcclaurin read. To play the comparison game, I say less than half of the league get to the Mcclaurin “scramble read”. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

a wrap is a sandwich. This was covered in the Carlos Rodgers thread years back when @Xameil was wrong.

Stop your propaganda. A wrap is not a sandwich. I feel we were all most clear on this. You just insist on going with your PC everyone is included and wins attitude.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

His existence on an NFL field offends me.  :P 

Seriously though, Elhinger outplayed him for 55 minutes and if the Colts didn’t have 2 red zone turnovers, the story is entirely 

Actually, if memory serves me correctly,for most of the game they had fairly close stats with Heinike having ths slight edge.

• Like 1

I can’t believe people are arguing on the throw by Heinicke. They must have Terry on their fantasy team and pissed he didn’t score a TD. 

Anyway qbs throw contested passes all the time! Rarely are you gonna see someone wide open especially during a 2 minute drill unless the defender slips and falls. Gilmore is no scrub so while Terry was open for a second or two, he recovered pretty quickly. 

Sure Taylor or Tyler according to Robert Smith (who is awful to listen to by the way) doesn’t have a strong arm but he was also scrambling for a good while and kind of back peddling when he threw it. He threw it into the vicinity of Terry giving him a chance. I’m 100% fine giving your number one a chance to make the play especially at that time of the game. Oh if he throws it further into the endzone, I don’t know if Terry comes down with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Anyway qbs throw contested passes all the time! Rarely are you gonna see someone wide open especially during a 2 minute drill unless the defender slips and falls. Gilmore is no scrub so while Terry was open for a second or two, he recovered pretty quickly. 

Sure Taylor or Tyler according to Robert Smith (who is awful to listen to by the way) doesn’t have a strong arm but he was also scrambling for a good while and kind of back peddling when he threw it. He threw it into the vicinity of Terry giving him a chance. I’m 100% fine giving your number one a chance to make the play especially at that time of the game. Oh if he throws it further into the endzone, I don’t know if Terry comes down with it. 

Rarely? Do you only watch our games? That might explain the rarely aspect if so. Short term of this fan base...lol I remember seeing wide open Etienne over thrown first game completely wide open no body even remotely close. There are multiple times a game somebody we play against has people WIDE open. Define rarely please. Concerning the open for a second or two...that is the definition of wide open in the nfl and he would of been open longer had heinicke not make Terry have to come back to the under thrown ball BACK into coverage. Gilmore didn't "recover" anything. The ball actually gave Gilmore actual grace because he was beat and the throw making mclaurin come back actually made them both have a chance at the ball. 

Sure yeah give him a chance...also factor in the chance of a concussion..or serious injury. Now don't get me wrong..it was a putrid throw that worked out. Am I happy we have mclaurin and it worked out? Sure. Would I of rather not have to see my number 1 have to come back to coverage to make a play after he was open for the td...you bet. But it worked out. So there's that 

• Thumb down 1