Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Someone tell Ron that Daniel Jones has 3 TD's and 2 interceptions on the year and Dallas has been starting a backup for 4 weeks.

Ron is winging it with these answers.  I get that its tough, there are no good answers right now but you cant just pencil whip these questions with BS answers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

He did it in 2020 with Haskins.  But he didn't pick Haskins.  He was the one responsible for getting Wentz.  Benching him admits he was wrong.  

Yes, but starting Howell and having him -- however little chance it is -- look great or at least competent would maybe offset that mistake. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yep.

IIRC, Sheehan had Logan Paulsen on his podcast and he asked him what he thought Howell's ceiling was, and Paulsen said a high end backup like Heinicke.  But what if his ceiling is higher than that?  The only way you find out is by playing him.  If it turns out that that is his ceiling, great, you have a cheap and young backup quarterback on your roster.  I still cannot remember any team replacing the starter with the 3rd stringer on the depth chart.  Whenever they activate Howell is probably a tell tale sign that there's going to be a switch.   

I liked Howell in that draft.  But not in a stand on the table "he's the one" kind of way.  @KDawg and @Koolblue13 and someone else i know am forgetting were bigger fans of him but I still liked him.  My thought is lets see what he's got.  I'd be surprised if he shows to be a definitive answer quickly but if he does it would save us from drafting a QB next year.  Because if they do end up with a top 5 pick, hard for me to see them going with an edge rusher like Anderson or DT like Carter considering we've not being able to build a winner by relying on the D line.  I think they go QB.   Young?  Levis?  Stroud?

Back to Howell.  He's a tough dude.  Hard worker.  Ambitious.  Smart -- one of the higher Wonderlic scores.  so I think he has it in him to surprise.  There is enough potential there to roll the dice IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I've never seen a formerly mobile QB completely lose his athleticism like Wentz.  You would think his leg got chopped off and reattached.   Now, he actually averaging about the same rush yards per game as always has, but his movement around the pocket and scrambling just looks labored.

It's unbelievable really. Players have had much worse injuries than he had and still ended up regaining their speed, quickness, and agility, within a year or two. Just more of our bad luck. Smh.

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Someone tell Ron that Daniel Jones has 3 TD's and 2 interceptions on the year and Dallas has been starting a backup for 4 weeks.

Ron is winging it with these answers.  I get that its tough, there are no good answers right now but you cant just pencil whip these questions with BS answers.

Feels to me the opposite of him winging it as to BS answers.

Feels like his Jay Gruden rip RG3 publicly moment.

He came off like he was saying that he thought they made some good decisions at other spots but admits he blew it at O line and probably blew it at QB. 

Came off like Ron unplugged and he will regret it later just like Jay did. 

Unless Howell absolutely kills it I can't see them not taking a Qb. The way the team has been and with attendance about to sink they would love to have something to market next year.

May be or may not be the right football move but that's what I think they will do. If they fire Rivera they will definitely go Qb.

Edited by Redskins 2021

I listened to Ron's presser and he just sounds like a shell of himself, grasping at straws, exhausted, uncertain and trying to hold on.

His blaming the quarterback the way he did without offering any personal culpability for the team's direction, even when given the opportunity to walk it back, was embarrassing to watch and clearly an act of pure desperation.

He's just not all there. Almost like he can't believe what's happening.

At this point I am sincerely concerned for both his emotional, and (especially given his recovery from cancer) physical well being. 

Another victim of the patented Snyder reverse reputation car wash. Come in clean and pure and leave dirty and permanently tainted.

Sad really.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

Ron is getting ready to use the Shanny playbook...."McNabb?  I never wanted that guy.  It was all Dan".     I fully expect at some point a "source" will reveal that Wentz was all Dan and Ron really wanted to draft a QB and use the cap space to build around the young QB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is some of the dancing back from Ron.  the reporters who clearly like Ron (I don't blame them again I think Ron is a good person) tried to help him by leading him away from that answer by saying do you mean the other teams built a better team for their QB to succeed.

Those reporters who like him must have omitted “…and OL, and DB, and LB… and I eviscerated the DT depth… “

This is his third season. He’s left a swath of badness on the field that is deep in both personnel and coaching.

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Ron is getting ready to use the Shanny playbook...."McNabb?  I never wanted that guy.  It was all Dan".     I fully expect at some point a "source" will reveal that Wentz was all Dan and Ron really wanted to draft a QB and use the cap space to build around the young QB.

Yep…wouldn’t be surprised at all :( 

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Those reporters who like him must have omitted “…and OL, and DB, and LB… and I eviscerated the DT depth… “

This is his third season. He’s left a swath of badness on the field that is deep in both personnel and coaching.

Defense IMO doesn't look bad right now.

O line looks atrocious.

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If he pulls that ****, just fire him. He's the head coach, and he has full control of the roster. If he refuses to accept any responsibility for any of this team's failures, then give him the Rhule treatment.

This isn't Ron's first year. He's in year 3. He has control over the personnel. He has control over the staff. The buck stops with him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Anyone who thinks they see equivalent talent or upside between th and Howell is not having an informed or intelligent football thought.

Agree.

Among other things, Howell already has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.  lol, Madden if I recall had him ranked 8th in arm strength in the league.  Heinicke has one of the weakest arms.

Be like comparing a dude with 95 MPH and a dude who throws one at 83 MPH. 

Howell 7 years younger. 

3 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

The Cowboys are winning with a backup QB.....Daniel Jones is in year one of a new system....

Ron always brings up injuries and says things like...."I wish we had all of our pieces".....No team ever has "all their pieces"   

I think he was really direct in that press conference.

He basically admitted they screwed up at the O line spot.  And as to QB, he was all over the place.  At a minimum it came off like he is not sure they got it right with Wentz.  He danced it back but i think it was telling he called out Qb along with the O line in his first answer as to why are they behind the rest of the division. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Unless Howell absolutely kills it I can't see them not taking a Qb. The way the team has been and with attendance about to sink they would love to have something to market next year.

May be or may not be the right football move but that's what I think they will do. If they fire Rivera they will definitely go Qb.

Give me Howell and one of these top QBs in the draft battling it out in camp next year.  At least give us something to look forward to.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

To elaborate on the Shanny playbook, he’ll wait a few years to see which QB pans out and claim that’s the guy he’d take.

Can’t believe Ron’s going after Carson today when it’s so convenient for him to blame the 1-4 start on Davis.