Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

TH ran for 100 more yards than Wentz did last year. Yup really scared to run...lol

Let's not get carried away here. Couple of long completions doesn't mean huge improvement. 

It's not just a couple of long completions that matters, it's the opposition defense knowing that Wentz can throw the deep ball, it keeps the defense from stacking the box. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Got to admit I’m looking forward to this thread dying now.

Get the Wentz talk in the thread specific to him. Talk rookies in the draft thread. Put this one to sleep.

Yeah, we don't need it to linger like @Burgold damn WR thread did for a couple years.  :ols:

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Saw this in an article on The Athletic:

Only two outcomes here:

First, he ****s the bed here and is benched so we don’t have to give up a second round pick. 

Or he plays amazing so we don’t cut him and the we’re stuck with him for the rest of that contract and can’t cut him without the cap hit. 

There is zero cap hit if we cut or trade him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zCommander said:

TH ran for 100 more yards than Wentz did last year. Yup really scared to run...lol

Heinicke was indecisive on how much he wanted to run, cause there were some games where he ran plenty and others where it looked like he hesitated.  He was second guessing himself

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Heinicke was indecisive on how much he wanted to run, cause there were some games where he ran plenty and others where it looked like he hesitated.  He was second guessing himself

Ron and Turner both publicly said they've been trying to get Taylor to run more and he won't. Taylor started playing Taylor ball when it looked like he might lose his job to Allen and started trying to preserve himself instead of win games.

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That ball traveled from the 30 to the 10 in the air in no time flat.  

There is a whole lot more to playing QB than arm strength.  But when you can force the defense to cover literally 60 yards down field from the LOS, you’ve completely changed the game and force the defense  not to stack 8 or 9 guys in the box.

Honestly, the guy who’s probably most stoked about this should be Gibson.  Wentz is good enough to see if they are loading the box, check to a pass and beat them deep.  Gibson shouldn’t have to run into a brick wall over and over. 

In a mic'd up Wentz that I watched on you tube, a colts player goes that can't stack the box against us or something to that extent after a throw.

He throws a really good deep ball.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Carr was dealt I'd be fairly disappointed about Wentz, since Carr was my top choice. His new HC was trying to trade for him last year and pretty sure he's the reason why he chose LV.

Same here.  So I was glad to hear that.  I was going to post this yesterday in this way which is Keim for the first time really shut down Carr as a possibility.  I've said before he's left the possibility open which gave me a little albeit not much hope.  They definietly were poking around on Carr.  I am guessing they finally got a hard no and turned to this.

Like I said in another post, felt like listening to Keim, Plan B after the first tier guys were Jimmy G and Wentz.  Obviously they liked Wentz more as I do.

As for in FA being afraid Trubisky is headed to NY.  That was mentioned by someone here posting.  Sheehan ironically threw it out there that a Giants reporter mentioned he's the favorite to land there, citing this article.  I am thinking say what?  Here's the key quote in the article about Trubisky, it says nothing about Trubisky being the favorite to land there.

The thing is the Giants supposedly don't have the two things that Trubisky wants the most:  an easy pathway to be the starter and the most money.  You never know.  I do hope the Giants sign Trubisky but I am not betting on it.

And yeah I'll stick with Keim who has been right about the targets.  Trubisky was always plan D or Bridgewater.  Not one of their top plans at all.  Clearly they weren't enamored with him and I am glad because I am far from enamored myself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33460685/sources-new-york-giants-expected-make-run-qb-mitchell-trubisky

He might have better options, especially with the Giants tight against the salary cap this offseason.

Teams such as the New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers could immediately offer him a better chance to start. Trubisky would likely be the top quarterback in the pecking order for those teams. That wouldn't be the case in New York.

Trubisky, 27, would likely start on an equal line or behind Jones, of whom Giants ownership recently admitted that the team had "done everything possible to screw this kid up since he's been here." New York is on its fourth offensive coordinator in four years.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

So, we tried for Wilson, Rodgers, Carr, Mahomes and couldn't get them.

Next tier, Injured Jim and Wentz. We made an offer for Wentz a while back and they didn't bite. After the Elite plan A guys decided, we circled back to Wentz and outbid the other teams.

The bottom tier guys like Trubs and Teddy probably didn't want to come here and we may not have been able to land them.

Wentz is the best we could have gotten and we did it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The bottom tier guys like Trubs and Teddy probably didn't want to come here and we may not have been able to land them.

Wentz is the best we could have gotten and we did it. 

Agree.  Except for I think we could have gotten either Trubisky or Bridgewater if we wanted them.  Scott Turner's connections ran deep with Bridgewater.  As for Trubisky, we have an offensive coach from Chicago, Leno is supposedly close with him -- Buffalo's guys would tout Rivera to him.  Heinicke isn't much of a competition, etc.

I've never once heard that the FAs were the ones they were hot to trot for.  They were always worst case scenario.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In a mic'd up Wentz that I watched on you tube, a colts player goes that can't stack the box against us or something to that extent after a throw.

He throws a really good deep ball.

I have no illusions that he’s going to be a 10 year starter and perennial pro bowler for us. 

But if he stays healthy he raises the floor so significantly from anything we’ve had.

I hope he can get his head screwed on right and is good guy in the locker room.  

Time will tell.  

I like him better than ALL the FA QBs who were available, and more than Jimmy comming off of shoulder surgery.  

I still think we draft a guy in the second if Ridder or Strong is available.  Though maybe there is a scenario where we can move back again in the second or up from the 4th back into the 3rd to do that.

They need another 2 QBs on the roster for camp if nothing else. And our super backup Joe Montana, wait TH, is entering the last year of his deal.  So they need guys.   One can be an UDFA.  The other is probably a draft pick.  

I doubt they bring back Allen.  But I guess he could be a guy they bring back.  

• Like 2

I get this feeling that in six months time,  every time Wentz throws a bad pass, we’re going to hear about it from the remaining remnants of the Heineke Hive.  Even if he’s 3rd string, they are never going to let go.  I see conflicted dudes sitting there in their “legend of Taylor Heineke” shirts, dialing back tears and not knowing whether to cheer or cry, when Wentz hits McLaurin on 60 yard rope for a TD.

Yet I bet Taylor himself is happy af just to be there.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Get the Wentz talk in the thread specific to him. Talk rookies in the draft thread. Put this one to sleep.

Then where can we argue about the Diamond in the rough that is TH?

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get this feeling that in six months time,  every time Wentz throws a bad pass, we’re going to hear about it from the remaining remnants of the Heineke Hive.  Even if he’s 3rd string, they are never going to let go.  I see conflicted dudes sitting there in their “legend of Taylor Heineke” shirts, dialing back tears and not knowing whether to cheer or cry, when Wentz hits McLaurin on 60 yard rope for a TD.

Yet I bet Taylor himself is happy af just to be there.

This would be the safest bet in the history of all bets. 

Luckily, I think there are only 3 left. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have no illusions that he’s going to be a 10 year starter and perennial pro bowler for us. 

But if he stays healthy he raises the floor so significantly from anything we’ve had.

I hope he can get his head screwed on right and is good guy in the locker room.  

Time will tell.  

I like him better than ALL the FA QBs who were available, and more than Jimmy comming off of shoulder surgery.  

I still think we draft a guy in the second if Ridder or Strong is available.  Though maybe there is a scenario where we can move back again in the second or up from the 4th back into the 3rd to do that.

They need another 2 QBs on the roster for camp if nothing else. And our super backup Joe Montana, wait TH, is entering the last year of his deal.  So they need guys.   One can be an UDFA.  The other is probably a draft pick.  

I doubt they bring back Allen.  But I guess he could be a guy they bring back.  

People talk about reclamations and Tannehill is brought up as the ultimate example.

As I liked to say Tannehill ranged from average to good in Miami -- he didn't suck.  So he elevated from being a C plus/B minus QB in Miami to a steady B level QB with the Titans.

Taking Trubisky, Darnold, etc -- that's betting on turning D students to B students.  It was never apples to apples to Tannehill.  It was about making bad QBs good.

Wentz is the ultimate-real reclamation project not those other clowns IMO.  Wentz at his peak was considered actually better than Tannehil and by a good margn.  He was in conversation for becoming elite. '

Will he turn it back to his peak?  I don't know.  But even if he becomes 80% of what he once was that would equal being a good QB.  

Betting on a dude who was consistently bad to become good is likely a fools errand.  Betting on a dude who was once considered to be in the conversation to be elite, to downgrade to just being good, I don't think is a wild bet. 

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/24/eagles-carson-wentz-elite-stats-prove-it/

5 stats that prove Carson Wentz is elite and just starting to hit his stride as a QB

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• Koolblue13 changed the title to Thee Official QB Thread- Winning with Wentz and the Hiding of Heinicke.
2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Well, that's too bad cause it's the Official QB thread now, so you're not taking this from me.  :ols:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

The half ass slide at the goal line instead of going in for the touchdown immediately comes to mind  (Chargers game?).

28 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

:rofl89:

Can you at least sort the ‘Thee’ out then in title.

NO

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ironically, we dominated the Packers and if Heinike had scored there, we'd have been in the playoffs. 

But he put himself and wanting to do the leap first. Then floundered on the next play and we lost.

• Haha 2