Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, evmiii said:

Jimmy G is getting shoulder surgery on his throwing arm next week.  He won’t be able to throw until late summer.  Big risk here, he’s probably off most teams list.

16 week recovery, not a major surgery. It’s capsule not rotator cough. Looking at late July back to 100%. Tons of teams still want him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 3

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Ya know, a Carr trade may not be that far fetched considering McDaniel's was JimmyG's offensive coordinator in NE and he knows that offense.  Just a thought on the way QB domino's could line up.

I hate to post this HigSkin but he posted this soon after

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Rodgers going to Denver helps us.  

In an absolutely ideal world Carolina trades for Garopolo.  That would take the 2 sure fire teams who are drafting ahead of us who need QBs out of the mix.

That is, if we even like any of the guys in this draft. But we would almost certainly have one of our first 2 picks at 11 in that scenario.

I doubt that’s where Jimmy goes though. I think he’s going to Pitt or here.  

FWIW, I’d be fine with Jimmy for a third.  It might be the best we can do right now, and doesn’t preclude us from doing anything next year.  The injury history worries me, though, so I’d also want a better backup.  Or maybe draft Ridder or Strong as well.  

Jimmy G sucks....he's coming off of surgery and you'd give up a third plus pay him over 20 mil? I guess you're gonna give him an extension too? How much...4 years 120 mil? 

This is about the dumbest QB solution I've heard on this board... trade for another teams reject who's coming off of surgery? 

We may as well just keep Fitz the way you think....he knows the offense.

• Like 10
  • Thumb down 1

22 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Maybe in a normal draft but you have too many teams that need a qb and will probably pick a qb in the first round when that qb is probably a 2nd round project.

Pittsburgh, Tampa, New Orleans can overreach and draft a first round qb. Detroit with the Rams 32 pick; could get a qb at that spot.

So, there might not even be a qb left that we want in the 2nd round.

Picking a QB in the first round does not make him a first round talent. Picking a bad QB in the first round is basically a recipe to get fired. Desperation or not, most teams aren't that stupid. Yeah, occasionally you see someone go all Christian Ponder, but then those people get fired. I will admit that legit 2nd round talents due often sneak into the first round due to QB inflation. Hell, this team has done it twice recently with Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. But, even then, it should be in the back end of the first. Taking a 2nd round talent at # 11 will not end well for anyone. And it actually sets the franchise back. Thankfully, I think most NFL executives realize this. even if some fans don't.

Thankfully, this hype happens every year and 98% of the time its all BS. I remember back in 2019 some posters were convinced Drew Lock and Will Grier were going to be picked the first round and Haskins might go top 5. For pretty much the same reasons people are hyping guys like Riddler and Willis and so forth in 2022. All three were busts as pros, but at least the team didn't trade up for Haskins or reach for Lock or Grier. Frankly no one reached for those guys. They went around were they should have gone. They were just flawed prospects.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Carr would be 3 first round pick to many teams need Qb. I don't know if it's worth that.

Carr is definitely not worth it. Not for a guy that's now on the downside of his career with zero career playoffs wins (and only two appearances). He's clearly an upgrade over what's here and brings a certain competency to the position. So, in a vacuum he's a nice get. But if you have to mortgage that much to get him, not to mention likely fork over $30 million plus per year starting in 2023 to keep, that's basically waiving a huge white flag that says the franchise is willing to settle fighting for around .500, hoping to sneak into the playoffs once or twice and have those in power avoid getting fired for a few extra years. I say a poster compare Carr to Kirk Cousins. And I'd agree Carr is better, but barely. Imagine trading three first round picks and paying a ton of money to Kirk Cousins. But not the Kirk Cousins that left Washington in 2017. The Cousins that played a few years in Minnesota and was a few years older. Would anyone really be happy with that outcome? To be a redux of the Minnesota Vikings? If Carr was cheaper, maybe you could stomach it.

9 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Willis sucks and odds are every QB in this draft will suck. It will be a horrible draft. Ron will be forced to stick with him for 2 years then he will be fired or quit and it’s square one again. 

That's the thing I think many posters are failing to realize. If anyone of the draftees this year turn into say Joe Flacco 2.0, that would be a really good outcome for them. But would fans be excited for this team to get the next Joe Flacco? Or using someone a bit more recent, the next Jared Goff? I cannot sit here and say definitively that's how it's going to go. There's always the chance someone bucks the trend and exceeds expectation. But you shouldn't count on it and you shouldn't overpay. The key is to pay accordingly. You draft a guy like Dak Prescott in the 4th on the slim chance he becomes a Dak Prescott. At least you didn't burn first rounders on mediocre prospects or traded picks for mediocre prospects. Too many posters want to overpay just to overpay and say they drafted SOMEONE. You make trade and make picks based on reasonable outcomes, not wild pipe dreams. This is bad QB class. A reasonable outcome is maybe one of them is sort of an okay Flacco level guy type. So plan accordingly

• Like 1

Well, one thing that may have been wrong is RR making it known to the world that we need a QB.  It ups the ante on what teams will trade a QB for now.  Best to keep it under wraps.  I like RR and his leadership, but it probably would have behooved him to keep it under wraps more so than broadcast it almost to the point of semi-begging for one.   

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, one thing that may have been wrong is RR making it known to the world that we need a QB.  It ups the ante on what teams will trade a QB for now.  Best to keep it under wraps.  I like RR and his leadership, but it probably would have behooved him to keep it under wraps more so than broadcast it almost to the point of semi-begging for one.   

I don’t think that’s the case hear.  The entire NFL world knows that we’re desperate for a franchise QB, even if Ron hadn’t said anything.  We’ve had 8 different starting QB’s since Cousins left 4 years ago.  I think every NFL team can deduce that we’ve been a QB hellhole the last few years.  Put it this way, if Ron wasn’t putting out how desperate he/we all are at getting a franchise QB, we’d be horrified, and demanding his resignation due to QB negligence.

Ron is speaking for himself, and quite possibly the entire fanbase, when he talks about our absolute need for a QB.  No one seriously would believe Ron if he lied, and said that he’s content with our current QB situation.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I don’t think that’s the case hear.  The entire NFL world knows that we’re desperate for a franchise QB, even if Ron hadn’t said anything.  We’ve had 8 different starting QB’s since Cousins left 4 years ago.  I think every NFL team can deduce that we’ve been a QB hellhole the last few years.  Put it this way, if Ron wasn’t putting out how desperate he/we all are at getting a franchise QB, we’d be horrified, and demanding his resignation due to QB negligence.

Ron is speaking for himself, and quite possibly the entire fanbase, when he talks about our absolute need for a QB.  No one seriously would believe Ron if he lied, and said that he’s content with our current QB situation.

Understand but dude has overdone it a bit.  Of course the media doesn't help as that's a question that he's asked all the time but he started the push really.  It is what it is.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RWJ said:

On the radio the other day, sports junkies, EB said he doesn't understand why Ron is telling the whole world he needs a "big fish" QB. In the past he is pretty tight lips. To him it felt like he can then say look we gave it our best shot, and the world will know that he did, but didn't happen so now we have to settle for a less talented QB instead. This way the fans are not crushed when they go the lesser route. Reverse phycology I guess. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

On the radio the other day, sports junkies, EB said he doesn't understand why Ron is telling the whole world he needs a "big fish" QB. In the past he is pretty tight lips. To him it felt like he can then say look we gave it our best shot, and the world will know that he did, but didn't happen so now we have to settle for a less talented QB instead. This way the fans are not crushed when they go the lesser route. Reverse phycology I guess. 

Good point, zC.  Valid.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Jimmy G sucks....he's coming off of surgery and you'd give up a third plus pay him over 20 mil? I guess you're gonna give him an extension too? How much...4 years 120 mil? 

This is about the dumbest QB solution I've heard on this board... trade for another teams reject who's coming off of surgery? 

We may as well just keep Fitz the way you think....he knows the offense.

He’s reached a level competency and is a professional at the position. This has value at the right price and situation. No way he gets a 4 year 120 from some one. 5 years ago maybe, but NFL owners no longer seem to be willing to let their FOs and coaches give away outrageous sums of money to this level of QB. We’ll see though.

Jimmy G does have value for current roster, but not at 10% of the cap. He’s a 4-8% (depending on the year) cap QB. 

30 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Wow, my thoughts almost exactly.  At the end of the day we are going to end up with Trubisky and draft a QB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think he is setting it up to get Watson and deal with the backlash. He will say look we took every possible approach to get our guy and this was the deal we made after a lot of inquiries and discussions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think he is setting it up to get Watson and deal with the backlash. He will say look we took every possible approach to get our guy and this was the deal we made after a lot of inquiries and discussions. 

Even if we pick up a stopgap for around 10Mil, I think we end up taking a big swing at him if/after he avoids criminal charges.

They are pressing every avenue so hard, and if someone is actually available like Watson could be, we will pay that price.

We can make plays for Wilson, Carr n Rodgers, but if their not available, you can't get them.

They have tried so hard to get someone, but no one they want is simply available. It also makes me believe Jimmy G is a last resort at best, otherwise they would have made the move already.

Edited by FootballZombie

3 hours ago, zCommander said:

Yep agreed, had that thought too. However I think the fans will backlash this time. Can’t screw it up two years running.

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep agreed, had that thought too. However I think the fans will backlash this time. Can’t screw it up two years running.

Can’t force a QB to be traded. If another team gets Russ then that’s the issue. 

Edited by Hitman#21

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A mid round conditional 23 pick for Wentz or Jimmy G. Sign Mariota. 

I can dig this. 

As for some of the other posts.  I don't think what Rivera is doing is that deep.  He clearly is swinging for the fences.  For real.  We are in the mix and clearly making offers.  Rivera has always been an honest, wear things on his sleave coach, its not a new thing for this off season. 

Last off season he did say he'd be swinging for QBs but there is a limit for what he'd pay because he didn't think the roster was good enough to give up the farm.  And that's exactly what he did.  This time he more or less said he will give up the farm but so far no big targets have emerged.

As for the fallout with fans, I think for most of us (me included) they are cool with Rivera at least trying big alebit the targtets so far at least hasn't emerged.  Some won't be happy no matter what he does and will convince themsleves that Ron secretly craves mediocre QB -- but you can't please everyone, some people will always be on the other side of things. 

Heck on the GM thread we used to have 6-7 consistent Bruce Allen defenders back in the day.  We've even had some Dan defenders over the years, though I think both groups have dissapearred.  My point is that you are always going to have stragglers pro or con any coach or FO guy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

That's the thing I think many posters are failing to realize. If anyone of the draftees this year turn into say Joe Flacco 2.0, that would be a really good outcome for them. But would fans be excited for this team to get the next Joe Flacco? Or using someone a bit more recent, the next Jared Goff? I cannot sit here and say definitively that's how it's going to go. There's always the chance someone bucks the trend and exceeds expectation. But you shouldn't count on it and you shouldn't overpay. The key is to pay accordingly. You draft a guy like Dak Prescott in the 4th on the slim chance he becomes a Dak Prescott. At least you didn't burn first rounders on mediocre prospects or traded picks for mediocre prospects. Too many posters want to overpay just to overpay and say they drafted SOMEONE. You make trade and make picks based on reasonable outcomes, not wild pipe dreams. This is bad QB class. A reasonable outcome is maybe one of them is sort of an okay Flacco level guy type. So plan accordingly

I think that was their initial assessment also when they states there were no guys worthy of going at 11 and could see going with a guy in the 2nd like Ridder, Strong or one of the guys that "slips" to the 2nd like Howell. 

https://riggosrag.com/2022/03/04/commanders-draft-biggest-winners-day-1-nfl-combine/3/

For anyone looking for some QB tidbits, Sam Howell showed off his deep ball accuracy, Desmond Ridder confirmed what we already knew about his athleticism and Kenny Pickett, despite being knocked for his small hands, proved why the WR participants claimed he threw the most catchable ball at the Combine.

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

He’s reached a level competency and is a professional at the position. This has value at the right price and situation. No way he gets a 4 year 120 from some one. 5 years ago maybe, but NFL owners no longer seem to be willing to let their FOs and coaches give away outrageous sums of money to this level of QB. We’ll see though.

Jimmy G does have value for current roster, but not at 10% of the cap. He’s a 4-8% (depending on the year) cap QB. 

SF is moving on from him for a reason...plus he's now having surgery and will cost us a pick plus a lot of money. Maybe he'd be a slight upgrade to what we have but he doesn't take this team to the next level and he's now 30 years old. I hear your point but I hope he isn't who we go with although I'm sure he's our if we want him.

6 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think Watson is in play for us too...we can make an offer of two 1sts and Sweat before the legal issues are settled and they'd have to consider this offer. They need to move on and have said they want teams best offers. Plus we are not in their conference. If this offer isn't enough tack on til its done. Risk vs reward.