Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A lot of the hits and sacks Wilson takes are on him, he holds the ball a ton looking to make plays downfield. Which is not to say the O Line is not also bad and responsible for their fair share of the hits.

No doubt, its the case for many mobile QBs who try to keep plays alive.   Been awhile since Seattle had a good O line, perhaps the Okung days years ago. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

25. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (DOWN 1)

LT Duane Brown | 72.0
LG Damien Lewis | 57.7
C Ethan Pocic | 68.0
RG Gabe Jackson | 63.6
RT Brandon Shell | 67.6

Seattle’s offensive line just can’t find a way to get out of its rut, and if anything is going to convince quarterback Russell Wilson that maybe the grass is greener somewhere else, it may be that. Duane Brown has been the unit's best player since the team traded for him in 2017, but he just posted his lowest PFF grade (72.0) since he was a rookie. Wilson was under pressure on 37.0% of his dropbacks this season, one of the higher marks in the league.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

and replace him with who? Seriously...if Snyder does that..will a competent coach be available or some failed retread.

Great question but Snyder is impatient as an owner and with the new name, new unis etc. he wants to win and if RR doesn't do it this year, I THINK, I say I THINK he's gone after this season.  

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

A rookie QB drafted this year is going to need 2 years minimum to be anywhere near ready to challenge seriously in the post season. I don’t think Rivera, even with 3 years left on that deal, has the time. We cant start from that rookie base in Ron’s year 3. 

I am very wary of Wilson’s longevity and cost. However I think we are totally tied to that horse. All in at all costs.

You can win immediately with a mobile Willis type. You can win more than we did with Heinicke with almost anyone else. All the rookies we’ve been throwing around can be better than anything we’ve had in years imo. Obviously no one is gonna give you Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers production this year but those guys. But if you’re going rookie, all we need is to see some flashes. Rivera can sell hope if he can’t sell wins, and that’ll be fine. We just need to have a plan, a direction, and hope. He’s done regardless if he can’t sell that. 

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A lot of the hits and sacks Wilson takes are on him, he holds the ball a ton looking to make plays downfield. Which is not to say the O Line is not also bad and responsible for their fair share of the hits.

This. Much this.

Wilson has always played street ball out there; breaking the pocket early when there's no pressure, whirling and twirling when the pocket starts to breakdown and running around like a mad man behind the LOS; always trying to make something out of nothing instead of throwing the ball away. It's worked out well for him overall, but it does lend to taking quite a few sacks that are invariably his fault, and not that of his OL.

I would still like to have him on this team, though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Great question but Snyder is impatient as an owner and with the new name, new unis etc. he wants to win and if RR doesn't do it this year, I THINK, I say I THINK he's gone after this season.  

Then we are doomed. 1st year he had to deal with Haskins and Smith. This year our starter goes out for the year in the 1st half of game 1. Rivera should be given time to find a Qb.  The defense tho...........

Willis has been the talk of the Senior Bowl and I'm sure that the hype train will pick up steam on this board about him until draft day.  

Ugh, I mean...**** man, I dunno.  I am well aware that we need to find a franchise quarterback, that is obvious.  And that franchise QB probably needs to come through the draft so we get the first few seasons on a rookie deal.  IIRC, Joe Burrow's salary this year is something like 2.25 million.

But we haven't even drafted a dude yet and I'm already exhausted by the thoughts of people analyzing every little thing the guy has done in college, games in which he came up big, games in which he came up short, the quality of the opponents, missed throws, missed reads (you know, like every quarterback misses throws and reads), highlight reels that make him look like the second coming of Christ, interview snippets, scouting reports, family history, trying to figure out if he leans to the left or right when he rips a fart and what THAT portends for his future...

...and then analyzing to death every ****ing thing after we draft him, how he looks in mini camp, how he looks at camp during the summer...how many commercials and endorsements does he have and holy ****ing ****, shouldn't HE BE PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO GETTING READY FOR THE SEASON!?!?!?!??!?!?!  Analyzing more comments at training camp, getting some soundbite from a guy like McLaurin who says something like "Yeah, I can see why they drafted him in the first round, he's great," and the collective boner that everyone gets here, except for the sad sack of **** contingent that's constantly whining because THEY DIDN'T PICK MY GUY and I NEVER WANTED THIS DUDE IN THE FIRST PLACE HE'S GOING TO BUST SO HARD.  Constant analysis and reports from training camp about how he looked fantastic but missed someone on a deep ball and that HAS TO BE COMPLETED followed by the handwringing that occurs after he throws two or three picks in a scrimmage.

Of course there's the preseason games and we'll have to argue why or why not he's getting reps with the first team and if he's on track to be the opening day starter or if he's going to sit on the bench for a bit behind Heinicke (COME ON ARE WE TRYING TO WIN!?!?!) or whatever other unexciting veteran we have on the roster.  Then he's only going to get, like, six throws in whatever small amount of playing time he gets and we're going to have to analyze those to death too and then discount them if they came against the opponents second or third string defense or hype the **** out of them if they came against their first team.  

More handwringing about will he be the opening day starter with one side of the Commie fanbase decreeing that we have to see what we have RIGHT NOW while the other half says AARON RODGERS SAT BEHIND FAVRE FOR LIKE TWO YEARS and how PATRICK MAHOMES SAT BEHIND ALEX SMITH FOR A YEAR AND GIVES HIM CREDIT FOR EVERYTHING.  And then our prized rookie QB gets to start like two games and those two games are enough FOR EVERYONE here to know if he's going to bust or if he's going to be wildly successful.  Members here will be preaching patience, others will be ready to trade him after 6 quarters of football because they know he's going to be a bust and we need to find someone else.  

I mean, the whole thing is ****ing exhausting, this is exactly what's going to happen and no one can tell me otherwise.  I'm already over it and we aren't even close to picking a guy yet. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

if this team needs to win now, then drafting a qb is not the answer.  let's say they do draft a qb, and they stink it up, then what, rivera gets fired, new coach gets hired.  now the new coach doesn't want to coach the qb we just drafted.  it's rg3 with gruden, and haskins with rivera all over again.  if they want to win now, then they'll have to get Wilson or Carr and do whatever it takes to get them.  if not, we'll see the same cycle all over again when this team tends to pick a qb, in a poor qb class year, just like when they drafted haskins.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

This. Much this.

Wilson has always played street ball out there; breaking the pocket early when there's no pressure, whirling and twirling when the pocket starts to breakdown and running around like a mad man behind the LOS; always trying to make something out of nothing instead of throwing the ball away. It's worked out well for him overall, but it does lend to taking quite a few sacks that are invariably his fault, and not that of his OL.

I would still like to have him on this team, though.

Agree.  But if Wilson has a beef with his O line, its legit.  Wilson is obviously aware that scrambiling adds the chances of him getting sacked.  The Seattle o line isn't loaded with studs. 

Wilson's O line gave him one of the worst time cushions in the league on drop back throws.  And as for Wilson scrambles, he had one of the best pressure-to sack conversation rates in the league, meaning he wasn't easy to sack when he was scrambling in the pocket.  So even though he was sacked a lot (albeit not sacked as much as Heincke) he actually did well as for escaping all the pressure headed his way at least according to PFF metrics.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Willis has been the talk of the Senior Bowl and I'm sure that the hype train will pick up steam on this board about him until draft day.  

Ugh, I mean...**** man, I dunno.  I am well aware that we need to find a franchise quarterback, that is obvious.  And that franchise QB probably needs to come through the draft so we get the first few seasons on a rookie deal.  IIRC, Joe Burrow's salary this year is something like 2.25 million.

But we haven't even drafted a dude yet and I'm already exhausted by the thoughts of people analyzing every little thing the guy has done in college, games in which he came up big, games in which he came up short, the quality of the opponents, missed throws, missed reads (you know, like every quarterback misses throws and reads), highlight reels that make him look like the second coming of Christ, interview snippets, scouting reports, family history, trying to figure out if he leans to the left or right when he rips a fart and what THAT portends for his future...

...and then analyzing to death every ****ing thing after we draft him, how he looks in mini camp, how he looks at camp during the summer...how many commercials and endorsements does he have and holy ****ing ****, shouldn't HE BE PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO GETTING READY FOR THE SEASON!?!?!?!??!?!?!  Analyzing more comments at training camp, getting some soundbite from a guy like McLaurin who says something like "Yeah, I can see why they drafted him in the first round, he's great," and the collective boner that everyone gets here, except for the sad sack of **** contingent that's constantly whining because THEY DIDN'T PICK MY GUY and I NEVER WANTED THIS DUDE IN THE FIRST PLACE HE'S GOING TO BUST SO HARD.  Constant analysis and reports from training camp about how he looked fantastic but missed someone on a deep ball and that HAS TO BE COMPLETED followed by the handwringing that occurs after he throws two or three picks in a scrimmage.

Of course there's the preseason games and we'll have to argue why or why not he's getting reps with the first team and if he's on track to be the opening day starter or if he's going to sit on the bench for a bit behind Heinicke (COME ON ARE WE TRYING TO WIN!?!?!) or whatever other unexciting veteran we have on the roster.  Then he's only going to get, like, six throws in whatever small amount of playing time he gets and we're going to have to analyze those to death too and then discount them if they came against the opponents second or third string defense or hype the **** out of them if they came against their first team.  

More handwringing about will he be the opening day starter with one side of the Commie fanbase decreeing that we have to see what we have RIGHT NOW while the other half says AARON RODGERS SAT BEHIND FAVRE FOR LIKE TWO YEARS and how PATRICK MAHOMES SAT BEHIND ALEX SMITH FOR A YEAR AND GIVES HIM CREDIT FOR EVERYTHING.  And then our prized rookie QB gets to start like two games and those two games are enough FOR EVERYONE here to know if he's going to bust or if he's going to be wildly successful.  Members here will be preaching patience, others will be ready to trade him after 6 quarters of football because they know he's going to be a bust and we need to find someone else.  

I mean, the whole thing is ****ing exhausting, this is exactly what's going to happen and no one can tell me otherwise.  I'm already over it and we aren't even close to picking a guy yet. 

Damn 2022 season is gonna suck....

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's the way its been every single year for the last 20 years. It's exhausting. And a big part of why we are hemorrhaging fans. We're all tired.

If the new guy wins, it won't matter. There will be a smattering of people hating on him, sure. But most people will be behind him. If the new guy brings the same ol same ol mentality we're just back in our perpetual cycle of blame.

Fanbases can only take being bad for so long and still caring. This is one of MANY reasons attendance is down. 

Scum bag owner doesn't help.

We need a shot in the arm. We can't survive a bad year. Which is why many are concerned with the quarterbacks we open the season with. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That's the way its been every single year for the last 20 years. It's exhausting. And a big part of why we are hemorrhaging fans. We're all tired.

If the new guy wins, it won't matter. There will be a smattering of people hating on him, sure. But most people will be behind him. If the new guy brings the same ol same ol mentality we're just back in our perpetual cycle of blame.

Fanbases can only take being bad for so long and still caring. This is one of MANY reasons attendance is down. 

Scum bag owner doesn't help.

We need a shot in the arm. We can't survive a bad year. Which is why many are concerned with the quarterbacks we open the season with. 

Nah, he's gotta win but he's gotta have ridiculous stats to boot.  Alex Smith won but without the gaudy stats and people were still butthurt by it.  Winning ugly isn't enough for this fanbase, the sense of entitlement is astounding.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 5

Wilson has to be done in Seattle. I mean if he’s told them he would like to look and consider the options he would have, that’s one foot out of the door. Maybe he finds nothing that is more enticing to him than just simply staying where he is.

Imagine saying to your partner, give me a couple of weeks to look at the options I’ve got out there for if I decide to leave you. I will then let you know if I fancy sticking with you for now....:ols:

Seattle is more than likely very desperate to keep hold of him though so they’ll tolerate that. 

Edited by Est.1974
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Nah, he's gotta win but he's gotta have ridiculous stats to boot.  Alex Smith won but without the gaudy stats and people were still butthurt by it.  Winning ugly isn't enough for this fanbase, the sense of entitlement is astounding.

Because everyone knew that was a fraud of a season. It wasn’t leading anywhere but mediocre results 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Because everyone knew that was a fraud of a season. It wasn’t leading anywhere but mediocre results 

Right. We're a winning team with him. He goes down and we lose constantly. He comes back and we're winning again and go to the playoffs. He gets hurt and we lose.

There is more to QB and the offense, than just scoring points.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right. We're a winning team with him. He goes down and we lose constantly. He comes back and we're winning again and go to the playoffs. He gets hurt and we lose.

There is more to QB and the offense, than just scoring points.

People just don’t want to see that.

Alex was boring as hell. 100% guilty. And he wasn’t going to pull us back from the depths of a significant deficit. But he won. Without him… we didn’t. Not sure why that’s lost on people.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RWJ said:

Good for the D but this team needs a proven leader at QB. 

Shanny 4 years, Jay stayed for 6 because of Allen, IMO.  

Shanny had 3 losing seasons out of 4.  

This would be Ron’s 3rd year.  I think he gets 4 regardless. Then the question is, is he fired or is he extended.  Because it’s one do the two.  He wouldn’t go into year 5 as a lame duck. 

Danny could have fired Gruden after 2016, 2017, 2018.  If he went to Bruce and said, “Lets fire Jay.” Bruce would have said, “ok. How about we bring in Raheem Morris?” And that would have been that.  

Dan let Bruce make the call, or at least did t force anything.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

People just don’t want to see that.

Alex was boring as hell. 100% guilty. And he wasn’t going to pull us back from the depths of a significant deficit. But he won. Without him… we didn’t. Not sure why that’s lost on people.

I think the question with Alex or that level of QB is, win how much?  And is that good enough?

Alex might have gotten us to 10-6 or 9-7 in 2018 minus the leg injury.  Then what?  Lose in the playoffs most likely.  

Maybe if he stays healthy, we can string a few of those years together?  I happen to think that would have been possible.

And you could argue that vs everything else we’ve had here, that’s good enough and we should accept that.  

However, Reid knew in order to be great and a SB contender, they needed to upgrade.  So they went and drafted Mahomes.  Nobody could have predicted it would have worked out quite as well as it did.  But they took a shot. 

• Like 2