Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jimmy G would get torn apart by the vast majority of fans here. That would be a tough outcome for most. I would imagine Kyle wants to keep him around for another season anyway.

Jesus could play QB for us and fans would be ****ing. "If he didn't wear sandals he could have ran for the first" "hardly anyone on the outside of the crowd got any bread, because of the robe".

Jimmy G is a win for us, especially if we can keep our 1rst.

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wait, people think Jimmy G was the reason the 49ers beat the Packers? I honestly don’t understand what football games some of you watch.

And Josh Allen is boring? Again, I don’t understand how you process these things.

I don't think anyone is saying that JG is the reason the won, but that you can win with him and they did.

How important are quarterbacks in modern football? I think all you need to know is that Joe Barry almost saved Aaron Rodgers.

Crazy how yesterday played out. Apparently, defense still matters. After all, Rodgers couldn't beat a team which his defense held to six points. And though Burrow had good stats, the Bengals managed a pathetic Heinikesque 19 points.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jesus could play QB for us and fans would be ****ing. "If he didn't wear sandals he could have ran for the first" "hardly anyone on the outside of the crowd got any bread, because of the robe".

Well he would be an improvement. But he’ll cost in a trade and he would more than likely want 20mil per year still. That isn’t a calculated risk, it’s just a risk.

I agree there are worse outcomes, I just don’t think it is a move to provide any medium to long term success. It’s debatable if we would get any short term returns. 

Is that really the best we’ve got ?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jimmy G is a slow death for us. He's slightly better than Heinicke but still utterly mediocre. He's a guy who needs an absolutely stacked team around him to do anything of note.

If we sign him we'll almost surely get between 2 and 4 years of mediocrity with him where we'll be a perennial 8-9 or 9-8 team. Then they'll finally get sick of his mediocrity and get rid of him, and by that time Rivera will likely be on the way out as well as some of our core players, meaning it would be time for a complete rebuild again.

Hard. Pass. 

Looks like B Mitch agrees.

Add: We should also assume, given his history, that he'll be spending some time on IR as well.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jimmy G is a slow death for us. He's slightly better than Heinicke but still utterly mediocre. He's a guy who needs an absolutely stacked team around him to do anything of note.

If we sign him we'll almost surely get between 2 and 4 years of mediocrity with him where we'll be a perennial 8-9 or 9-8 team. Then they'll finally get sick of his mediocrity and get rid of him, and by that time Rivera will likely be on the way out as well as some of our core players, meaning it would be time for a complete rebuild again.

Hard. Pass. 

Looks like B Mitch agrees.

Add: We should also assume, given his history, that he'll be spending some time on IR as well.

There is a huge gap between Heinicke and Brady and just because you can't get Brady, doesn't mean you don't want to improve. We're a near .500 team anyway.

I'd love to have the next Burrow Herbert etc and having JG doesn't stop you from trying to get him.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There is a huge gap between Heinicke and Brady and just because you can't get Brady, doesn't mean you don't want to improve. We're a near .500 team anyway.

I'd love to have the next Burrow Herbert etc and having JG doesn't stop you from trying to get him.

I don’t think Taylor is the answer but any team would be happy to win 7 games in a season when their starter goes down for the season in game one. So I don’t think they will go after a mid level starting qb. It will be top tier or bust.

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think anyone is saying that JG is the reason the won, but that you can win with him and they did.

If we just had a franchise QB, we could watch the rest of the playoffs with Rodgers.

TEAMS WIN GAMES. Not QB.

Green Bay would do well to fire their Special Teams coach before he cost all of them jobs.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes. You can. You can also win with Heinicke, Kyle Allen, Josh Johnson.

The Niners had a perfect storm happen last night. Literally and metaphorically. Green Bay forgot that special teams matter, their defense showed up to play. Jimmy G threw an INT that should have ended the game but the Niner defense came up big. A blocked punt AND a blocked field goal.

And it took every bit of that to win that game. If I were a Niner fan I’d love the win, but I’d be terrified of what’s going to happen when Jimmy G has to actually win them a game. 

As far as we go I remain in the same stance. Jimmy G is better than Heinicke. But he’s not worth a high pick. And if you have him you better have the defense and special teams to carry you. And you have to be prepared for soul crushing turnovers in crucial times. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I don’t think Taylor is the answer but any team would be happy to win 7 games in a season when their starter goes down for the season in game one. So I don’t think they will go after a mid level starting qb. It will be top tier or bust.

If I'm Dan Snyder and I find out the plan at QB is Heinicke next year, I'm publicly firing Ron at the name announcement. That plan is worse than a midfield QB draw with the game on the line and time running out and no time outs.

Jimmy G is not just slightly better than Heinicke, he's an actual starter in the league. There's a reason he wasn't the one sleeping on his sisters couch.

Let me be clear here. I don't like or want Jimmy G to be our QB. I don't. At all, but I want a legit starter at the least. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jimmy G is better than Heinicke.

Jimmy G is basically Heinicke, if Heinicke was a legit NFL QB.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The problem with getting Jimmy G rather than a Trubisky or Mariota is that if we give up a 2nd round pick as well as likely give him a big new contract then there's almost no way they're going to be bringing him in purely as a bridge QB to a rookie. So we'll have to suffer through years of being a ho-hum boring team that is decent but never really has a chance to be true contenders. Then we have to start all over again from scratch.

15 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If we just had a franchise QB, we could watch the rest of the playoffs with Rodgers.

TEAMS WIN GAMES. Not QB.

Green Bay would do well to fire their Special Teams coach before he cost all of them jobs.

We're back to trying to judge longer term trends by one game, I see.

The Packers are in the mix for a ring every single year. The reason is they have an elite QB. The Bengals have gone from bottom dwellers to a top team. The reason is they found an elite QB. The Bills have gone from a perennialy mediocre team to a powerhouse. The reason is they found an elite QB. Cardinals have done the same. The reason? Elite QB.

Just because the Packers lost doesn't suddenly negate the fact that nowadays in order to be a contender year in and year out you need to have a franchise QB.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jimmy G is basically Heinicke, if Heinicke was a legit NFL QB.

This is the most accurate description of Jimmy G out there. 

I’m not sure that’s any more tolerable than Heinicke on a game to game basis when we’re watching it slowly unfold, though. But maybe. He’s a lot more boring, too. Heinicke flashes at times with unreal escapes. Jimmy… exists.

Better arm, better overall decisions (though not great). But he’s just kind of… there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This is the most accurate description of Jimmy G out there. 

I’m not sure that’s any more tolerable than Heinicke on a game to game basis when we’re watching it slowly unfold, though. But maybe. He’s a lot more boring, too. Heinicke flashes at times with unreal escapes. Jimmy… exists.

Better arm, better overall decisions (though not great). But he’s just kind of… there.

Great STs

Great DL

Great Running game

Samuels type player

Great Oline

Stud WR

All that can be said about both teams.

Werner and Tartt and Garapolo are the three biggest differences between both teams.

I figure I'll get blasted for that, because most are really high on Kyle and not Turner, which is fair.

But I don't think we are that far off as a team and I want to see us in the championship game. They may be winning in spite of Jimmy G, but they're still winning and we're not.

I'm arguing that Jimmy G has to be our basement next season, not our ceiling. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Great STs

Great DL

Great Running game

Samuels type player

Great Oline

Stud WR

Werner and Tartt and Garapolo are the three biggest differences between both teams.

I figure I'll get blasted for that, because most are really high on Kyle and not Turner, which is fair.

But I don't think we are that far off as a team and I want to see us in the championship game. They may be winning in spite of Jimmy G, but they're still winning and we're not.

I’m arguing that as a basement we better have another guy as well developing and the draft compensation better be something that allows us to shore up weak links (Mike, Free, Corner depth, guard, running back, possession receiver).

But I wouldn’t hate Jimmy G if we are able to fill some glaring holes.

• Like 1

Our defense and supporting cast on offense isn't nearly as good as SF's IMO. Our 2020 defense was mostly smoke and mirrors due to playing a very weak schedule, especially near the end of the season.

We're definitely not a Jimmy G away from being a real contender. 

Jimmy G needs a team to carry him. We need a QB who can at least partially carry a team.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

The concern I have about getting a Jimmy G or Marriota is that they will leave us stuck at the Alex Smith/Mark Brunnel level. If that’s the case, I worry that for years we’ll be an 8-10 win team with a max ceiling of a playoff one and done. 

if we are going to trade draft picks for a QB it should be for someone we truly believe can make us a contender. 

is that Jimmy G?

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Great STs

Great DL

Great Running game

Samuels type player

Great Oline

Stud WR

SF DOES NOT have good ST(s).  They are really bad there.  Dallas dominated them last week in that phase last week.  Its just that GB was super bad.  Shanny has never had good ST.  Ours sucked when the Shannys were here (remember Keith Burns).  

Frankly (with the exception of Trent), their o-line isn't great either.  They cannot drop back and throw.  Their entire offense is predicated on play-action.  They have freaking Tom Compton as their RT (who was dominated by Gary yesterday).  They drafted Mcglintchey like 9th overall and he's been horrible for them (Sweat just killed him last year).  They cannot go into a shootout type game.  Their o-line (with the exception of Trent) can't pass block worth anything.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m arguing that as a basement we better have another guy as well developing and the draft compensation better be something that allows us to shore up weak links (Mike, Free, Corner depth, guard, running back, possession receiver).

But I wouldn’t hate Jimmy G if we are able to fill some glaring holes.

Absolutely.

If we could get Ridder or Howell in the draft, sign Wagner and Williams and probably swap 1rsts or something similar for Jimmy G (which is way more than I think his value is, but would be worth it to us), I think that elevates this team a hell of a lot moving forward.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

How important are quarterbacks in modern football? I think all you need to know is that Joe Barry almost saved Aaron Rodgers.

Crazy how yesterday played out. Apparently, defense still matters. After all, Rodgers couldn't beat a team which his defense held to six points. And though Burrow had good stats, the Bengals managed a pathetic Heinikesque 19 points.

Yep, thanks for pointing this out. If the Niners can beat Rodgers with Jimmy G then the WFT can win moving forward if they build right without a legit franchise QB. There's always a place for running the footbal and playing fast, physical defense. Jimmy G did just enough to win last night and Rodgers couldn't do anything cause there was too much pressure and nowhere to throw the ball.

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The concern I have about getting a Jimmy G or Marriota is that they will leave us stuck at the Alex Smith/Mark Brunnel level. If that’s the case, I worry that for years we’ll be an 8-10 win team with a max ceiling of a playoff one and done. 

if we are going to trade draft picks for a QB it should be for someone we truly believe can make us a contender. 

is that Jimmy G?

In my opinion NO...

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes. You can. You can also win with Heinicke, Kyle Allen, Josh Johnson.

The Niners had a perfect storm happen last night. Literally and metaphorically. Green Bay forgot that special teams matter, their defense showed up to play. Jimmy G threw an INT that should have ended the game but the Niner defense came up big. A blocked punt AND a blocked field goal.

And it took every bit of that to win that game. If I were a Niner fan I’d love the win, but I’d be terrified of what’s going to happen when Jimmy G has to actually win them a game. 

As far as we go I remain in the same stance. Jimmy G is better than Heinicke. But he’s not worth a high pick. And if you have him you better have the defense and special teams to carry you. And you have to be prepared for soul crushing turnovers in crucial times. 

For what they both get paid I'll take TH over Jimmy G...TH is going to be improved next season given the experience he got this season.

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Yep, thanks for pointing this out. If the Niners can beat Rodgers with Jimmy G then the WFT can win moving forward if they build right without a legit franchise QB. There's always a place for running the footbal and playing fast, physical defense. Jimmy G did just enough to win last night and Rodgers couldn't do anything cause there was too much pressure and nowhere to throw the ball.

In my opinion NO...

For what they both get paid I'll take TH over Jimmy G...TH is going to be improved next season given the experience he got this season.

Jimmy G should have had a pick 6 yesterday if Eric Stokes looks at the ball.  He was lucky as heck.  

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Nobody in the NFL agrees with you. Every team that doesn't have a top end franchise QB is looking for one and recognizes the need for one.

The Niners didn't beat the Packers with Jimmy G. The Niners beat the Packers with great defense and some good and/or incredibly lucky special teams play. Jimmy G did just enough to cost them the game, but the defense and special teams bailed him out. They won in spite of Jimmy G, not because of him in any way.

You really want to have to try and count on your defense bailing you out and pure luck on a game to game basis? 

Edited by mistertim