Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In watching the Eagles VD. Tampa game, you just can’t be a run-first offense in this league and win in the playoffs.  

The Eagles are an elite running team and they’re being shut down because they really can’t throw the ball at all.

You also have to stop Brady… but I agree, have to solve the QB problem. By whatever means necessary 

1 minute ago, Jds0912 said:

He played below average competition. I would’ve passed on him. Pickett and your best buddy Sam play real competition in the acc. 

I don’t know the guy. I happen to like him as a QB. Not sure why that registers as a sin for you. 

I’m struggling to connect what you’re saying. Take a look at career TD:INT ratio, yards. Howell has had a pretty good career (4:1) along with a 24:9 season this year. Pickett had a better year statistically for sure this year. No denying that. 

He also had no offensive line to speak of and lost his top 4 weapons to the League. 

I’m not here to poopoo the others. I’m not a Pickett fan necessarily but I see why people like him. He had a Burrow-like senior campaign and it’s tough to remove him from Burrow given that. Corral moves well and has a cannon, but if you are basing things on stats he struggles, too. 

Willis statistically was a disaster comparatively.  Stats don’t tell the whole story. Dwayne Haskins had 50 TD and 8 INT. A ratio better than any of the guys in this years’ draft. That didn’t translate. There is nuance beyond statistics. 

I love talking about this stuff but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Ever. For any position. Using that to determine the best QB in a conference in folly. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know the guy. I happen to like him as a QB. Not sure why that registers as a sin for you. 

I’m struggling to connect what you’re saying. Take a look at career TD:INT ratio, yards. Howell has had a pretty good career (4:1) along with a 24:9 season this year. Pickett had a better year statistically for sure this year. No denying that. 

He also had no offensive line to speak of and lost his top 4 weapons to the League. 

I’m not here to poopoo the others. I’m not a Pickett fan necessarily but I see why people like him. He had a Burrow-like senior campaign and it’s tough to remove him from Burrow given that. Corral moves well and has a cannon, but if you are basing things on stats he struggles, too. 

Willis statistically was a disaster comparatively.  Stats don’t tell the whole story. Dwayne Haskins had 50 TD and 8 INT. A ratio better than any of the guys in this years’ draft. That didn’t translate. There is nuance beyond statistics. 

I love talking about this stuff but statistics don’t tell the whole story. Ever. For any position. Using that to determine the best QB in a conference in folly. 

You’d have to go back and read my posts, but I said I literally tried to become a Vikings fan for like 5 hours bc I was so pissed we drafted Haskins. Not everything is about stats, I agree. I actually watch these players too and some guys I just like more than others. I like Willis because I can see him being successful in a Ravens offense. That would be fun to watch. It’s not about stats with him. I have my opinions and you have yours. It’s all good dude. We both clearly care about this team a lot. 

13 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You also have to stop Brady… but I agree, have to solve the QB problem. By whatever means necessary 

Yes, stop Brady.  But if a playoff team KNOWS you’re a run first team, they’ll stuff it and make you do what you can’t do.  

I think they had 2 3-outs to start the game, and by the time you blinked, Tampa was up 14-0 and had run 25 plays to the Eagles 7.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Rivera was comfortable not moving up in the draft last year. 

If given a re-do would it be safe to say he would push to move up in the first to grab Fields or Jones or into the late 2nd to grab Mills?

The not getting Stafford and not moving up last year were huge mistakes.  If we did it rite we would have bridged Fitzpatrick and had a rookie this year who would be in year two now ready to take over. This whole season feels like it was a waste because of this. We had the extra 3rd round pick last year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes, stop Brady.  But if a playoff team KNOWS you’re a run first team, they’ll stuff it and make you do what you can’t do.  

I think they had 2 3-outs to start the game, and by the time you blinked, Tampa was up 14-0 and had run 25 plays to the Eagles 7.

Yeah it seems like with modern defenses, if they expect the run is coming there are just so many ways to stop it for minimal gain.  On the other hand, give a QB protection and it is nearly impossible to shut down every route being run on the field, even if they are initially covered, they will find ways to work their way open.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Cool. Now let’s say we drop the ball and somehow don’t get a rookie that we feel is capable. 

Heinicke is our QB1 again. No thanks.

That’s not on Heinicke though. As you said , they dropped the ball. If we had to go into the season with Heinicke as QB1, we would survive. It isn’t ideal but having an organization that DOESN’T drop the ball would really help.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah it seems like with modern defenses, if they expect the run is coming there are just so many ways to stop it for minimal gain.  On the other hand, give a QB protection and it is nearly impossible to shut down every route being run on the field, even if they are initially covered, they will find ways to work their way open.

A successful running game is dependent on all 11 of your guys doing their job pretty consistently and mistakes will kill unless you also have a stud pass game. A working passing game requires as few as two guy to execute. You are also less dependent on your defense.

3 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

That’s not on Heinicke though. As you said , they dropped the ball. If we had to go into the season with Heinicke as QB1, we would survive. It isn’t ideal but having an organization that DOESN’T drop the ball would really help.

What is the definition of “survive” here? We would not be competitive in the least and Rivera would get fired. Is that surviving? Then yeah, by that definition we could go into next year with Heinicke as QB1 and survive.

8 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Yes. That’s on the organization. Which is why many of us are advocating for two QBs and not just one so that it doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

Going into the season with Heinicke as QB1 at this point would only happen if every other option was exhausted and failed.  Rivera pretty much said if they draft a QB they are starting, or at least the intention is for them to start day 1.  Even if they go the other route and sign a veteran.  That vet is going to beat Heinicke in a competition during training camp.  If Fitzpatrick can beat you in a competition, then any starting QB will too.

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

Even with Thomas, McKissic, and Samuel on the field at the same time?

Well, in that case, we would suck a bit less than massively. :) I'm about over with Heinicke personally. I'm tired of projecting and believing he is something he is not. I let my homerism blind me a bit to his very real limitations. He's easily replaceable in this draft. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Even with Thomas, McKissic, and Samuel on the field at the same time?

I don’t think he would suck if most of our weapons were healthy. From what I saw, he played good enough until our whole offense was injured. Then he dropped off. Dallas was killing him bc they were blitzing and playing man coverage. We couldn’t beat man coverage bc we had an offense full of WR5’s and backup TE’s 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Going into the season with Heinicke as QB1 at this point would only happen if every other option was exhausted and failed.  Rivera pretty much said if they draft a QB they are starting, or at least the intention is for them to start day 1.  Even if they go the other route and sign a veteran.  That vet is going to beat Heinicke in a competition during training camp.  If Fitzpatrick can beat you in a competition, then any starting QB will too.

With the rebranding of team they will definitely make a move at QB.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

That’s why you sign a bridge. Precisely.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What is the definition of “survive” here? We would not be competitive in the least and Rivera would get fired. Is that surviving? Then yeah, by that definition we could go into next year with Heinicke as QB1 and survive.

If we can keep our skill guys healthy, Heinicke probably gets us to 9-10 wins. The schedule is a little easier and I expect Heinicke to get a little better with a year starting behind him.

• Thumb up 1

I like Pickett but he will take like four years to develop. When he got to Pittsburgh he was awful. He really didn't click until his last year, so he would be a project. I would say though he improved every year but really broke out his fourth year. Unless we're ready to put that much time into him we should target a different QB. Just remember though, this is Washington where we have no patience whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If we can keep our skill guys healthy, Heinicke probably gets us to 9-10 wins. The schedule is a little easier and I expect Heinicke to get a little better with a year starting behind him.

We have to stop this line of thinking.  Heinecke is NOT going to lead us to the playoffs.  He’s been figured out as a QB, not to mention that you have to limit your playbook because of his limitations.  You cannot have him as the starter going into next year.  He’s a backup at best.  If something goes terribly wrong this offseason where we don’t draft a QB, or sign or trade a QB through free agency, then we will have had a horrific off-season, and we’ll be the worst team in the division next year.

Keeping Heinecke as QB1 also puts to bed any ideas of us attracting any free agents on offense, and probably assures us of losing Terry in free agency.  For us to attract any free agents as it is, we either have to overpay, or dramatically upgrade the QB position to have a chance to compete.

Edited by samy316

6 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I am not sure what the logic is here.  Thinking that Heinicke can get 9-10 wins seems to be based on hope more than anything.

I like Heinicke, it's been a fun ride.  But he's not the guy.  I mean, we'd have to have an elite defense and all the skill guys healthy for him to get us to 10 wins, IMO.

He's a great backup.  But I can't watch a full season of Heinicke starting every game.  You never know which dude is going to show up and I don't see how that changes from this year to the next.

Draft two quarterbacks, see who shakes out.  

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I honestly think the Eagles would do better with Heinike than Hurts today. Eagles are afraid to use Hurts as a QB. 

I have a deep fear that the Eagles wind up with Watson and the Giants with Wilson and we start Heinicke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1