Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I think we stay put and draft the guy that’s there at 11. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Willis.

It just appears to me that this FO, very much like our fan base, likes the idea of trading up, but isn’t willing to put the extra pieces in necessary to make the trade happen. 

Nobody wants to overpay to get a deal done, but the truth is that you have to overpay to get a deal done. I think we stay put, and then hear about how our offers weren’t quite good enough. 

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Sign mlb or trade  for mlb this year if can't get top tier Qb this year.

To do that there has to be someone on the block to trade for. Any suggestions on who that may be?

I would simply sign a good Mike. Doesn’t have to be high end or big money. Just a steady, good player. 

Paying big cost for a Mike is a sunk cost and limits our ability to tool the rest of the roster. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

To do that there has to be someone on the block to trade for. Any suggestions on who that may be?

I would simply sign a good Mike. Doesn’t have to be high end or big money. Just a steady, good player. 

Paying big cost for a Mike is a sunk cost and limits our ability to tool the rest of the roster. 

I think Bobby Wagner will be available 

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

I think Bobby Wagner will be available 

Now if he is you have to play the “beat everyone else who wants him in a trade” game. Willing to give up our second rounder?

I may be. But that’s independent of what we do at QB. Wagner is aging. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

A year ago, Wilson's agent Mark Rodgers -- who did not return several calls seeking comment -- made public four teams that Wilson would consider if he would get traded. Wilson has a full no-trade clause in his contract, which has two years remaining.

Didn't realize he had a no trade clause.

That list of teams likely has to change given they were reported as Chicago, Dallas, Vegas and the Saints.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Right so I’m not sure what your point was with the taboo comment. People want a QB and believe the most realistic path is Trubisky/Bridgewater/Mariota and a rookie. No need to break that down to being something it’s not.

And I think there’s no point in paying  for Trubisky or Mariota when statistically and what I’ve seen with my own eyes, they’re no better than TH. I don’t think TH is a starter in this league and I’m sorry but I don’t think those two are either. Imo you either get the big qb like Rodgers, Watson, Wilson (all unlikely), trade for Mills if possible, or go get Pickett, Corral, or Willis and start them day 1 with TH as the backup. I definitely do not want to go into next season with TH as our starting qb. That’s something we both agree on. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jds0912 said:

And I think there’s no point in paying  for Trubisky or Mariota when statistically and what I’ve seen with my own eyes, they’re no better than TH. I don’t think TH is a starter in this league and I’m sorry but I don’t think those two are either. Imo you either get the big qb like Rodgers, Watson, Wilson (all unlikely), trade for Mills if possible, or go get Pickett, Corral, or Willis and start them day 1 with TH as the backup. I definitely do not want to go into next season with TH as our starting qb. That’s something we both agree on. 

You sign the bridge in case you screw up the rookie part. I don’t think Heinicke is as good as any of the three of the group of Mariota/Trubisky/Bridgewater, personally.

I also think you’re ruling out our best bet at rookie QB in Sam Howell. Though I like Corral quite a bit. 

But we need to get a high end vet, or a bridge + rookie. If the rookie is ready the bridge is a backup. So many backups played this year they’ll likely be forced into duty. 

I think the only points we are opposed on:

-Heinicke being better than Trubisky/Mariota/Bridgewater

-Strategy to go with a Rookie draft choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think we will almost certainly end up signing a Trubisky / Mariota type QB, and then go into the draft with a very fluid strategy.

Moving up to any spot has to be on the table, although in reality it probably won't be higher than 4th, and both the 5th and 7th spots might not be available. Staying put at 11th and taking the best QB available is the most likely scenario IMHO. I would be disappointed and a little shocked if we traded down.

Let all three battle it out in camp and may the best man win, egos be damned. If Heinicke ends up as the starter game 1, then I would consider that to be a fail. Best case scenario; Rookie, Trubiota, Heinicke.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redwards said:

You don't have to.  Our fans get a really, really bad wrap when it comes to having patience.  We have it in spades; been patient for 30 years and counting now.  

We absolutely have the stomach to wait for a good-looking 1st round QB rookie to develop.  What we don't have the patience for anymore is for the FO to overdraft some middling QB prospect in the 1st round out of either owner mandate or FO desperation and then try and sell us that this prospect is our future.  We have seen that movie before.   A million times.  And we know better. 

Patriots made the playoffs with a 1st round rookie that many had touted as being a meh prospect. 

If Ron is to be taken at his word and his evaluation skills are to be taken on merit, then we indeed have a roster ready to compete with a rookie prospect that Ron deems worthy of playing.

If you believe in Mac Jones as a QB1, then you have to believe something is wrong with our evaluation process. 

Jones drafted 15th and we just needed to move up 5 spots. Our scouting said HE WASNT WORTH IT.

We need better coaches!

14 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I think we will almost certainly end up signing a Trubisky / Mariota type QB, and then go into the draft with a very fluid strategy.

Moving up to any spot has to be on the table, although in reality it probably won't be higher than 4th, and both the 5th and 7th spots might not be available. Staying put at 11th and taking the best QB available is the most likely scenario IMHO. I would be disappointed and a little shocked if we traded down.

Let all three battle it out in camp and may the best man win, egos be damned. If Heinicke ends up as the starter game 1, then I would consider that to be a fail. Best case scenario; Rookie, Trubiota, Heinicke.

I think it will be more competitive for Bridgewater Trubisky or Marrota type. Colts browns and saints all need strong back up qb and are places they could potentially start.

We hopefully should get one to go with rookie qb. That is if we don't get a top vet. Th should be on roster given chance to compete see what happens maybe he beats out the vet.

Edited by Redskins 2021

49 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I suppose it's not inconceivable we take 2 QB's. Unless I'm nuts, these (leaning day 3 as of now) guys are worthy of taking a very close look at.

Kent State QB Dustin Crum

Utah State Logan Bonner

SMU QB Tanner Mordecai

This is what I'm saying.  Take two quarterbacks.  Stack up on the position.  Don't draft one and put all your eggs in one basket, draft two.

****, draft three.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is what I'm saying.  Take two quarterbacks.  Stack up on the position.  Don't draft one and put all your eggs in one basket, draft two.

****, draft three.  

We’re fine if Heinicke is back as a bridge. You could keep Gilbert around as your 3rd. No reason to draft 2 QB

So what kind of contract is enough to entice a Trubisky/Mariota level QB to come here, especially if they know a rookie selection is on the cards? Do they want to come on what is highly likely to be a one year baby sitting service. Maybe they take a chance that the rookie will flunk badly.

And then for a rookie, in comparison Fields at #11 got a fully guaranteed 18mil deal with an 11mil signing bonus. But if you jump to Lance at #3 it’s 34mil fully guaranteed and a 22mil signing bonus. The 49ers did not need to convince a vet to join as they had Jimmy G under contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So what kind of contract is enough to entice a Trubisky/Mariota level QB to come here, especially if they know a rookie selection is on the cards? Do they want to come on what is highly likely to be a one year baby sitting service. Maybe they take a chance that the rookie will flunk badly.

And then for a rookie, in comparison Fields at #11 got a fully guaranteed 18mil deal with an 11mil signing bonus. But if you jump to Lance at #3 it’s 34mil fully guaranteed and a 22mil signing bonus. The 49ers did not need to convince a vet to join as they had Jimmy G under contract.

That's a good question with all the teams wanting QB. We probably have most money to offer. 

The opening we have vs Saints, Colts, Steelers, and Browns are the ones we are up against.

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Like John Bostic? :P

What concerns me is Ron is going to talk himself into Bostic or Mayo at MLB with Holcomb/Davis on the outside with Collins playing the Buffalo Nickel.

He can never say enough good things about Bostic and recently was pointing to his injury as a reason Davis’ development was stunted.

I hope to God they don’t think that’s the option.  I feel like there are enough personnel guys to make sure it’s not. 

But what I figured was a slam dunk (get new inside LB) I now have some concern about.

27 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

We’re fine if Heinicke is back as a bridge. You could keep Gilbert around as your 3rd. No reason to draft 2 QB

No, we’re not.  He can’t play.  Sorry.  The jury is in.  When you can’t run 40% of the playbook, and the only way for him to have any success is to run the ball 60 times a game, you have to move on.

I like the guy.  But he can’t be a starting, even a bridge, QB in the NFL.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Count me out of any idea of trading for Davis Mills.

Granted I haven't watched any of his pro games.  But watched plenty of his college games.  I'll watch some of his pro games if there ever comes a time when there is a rumor about him hitting the trade market. 

In college, I thought he was a poor man's Mac Jones with an injury history.  If I thought he was as good as Jones, I'd be all in.  Like Jones, he was pro ready.  They play a pro offense at Stanford.  But IMHO he doesn't do anything special.  He's not a statue but he also isn't really mobile.  His accuracy is good but not special IMO -- and he throws into heavy coverage too much for my taste.  He has IMO a decent arm, slightly better than average.

In the pros, looking at his stats.  He's averaged about 200 yards a game.  Averaged about a pick a game. His QBR rating is bad, 35.6, that a peg lower than even Heinicke.

Clearly, he didn't crap the bed as a rookie.  That doesn't surprise me.   But he didn't kill it either.  IMO his ceiling is too low for me to get jazzed about him

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

@Skinsinparadise I agree with you.  

The counter-point would be the Texans are BAD, and he exceeded expectations in a tough environment.  

So, if he was part of a convoy of options, I’d be ok with it.   But I wouldn’t give up anything meaningful to get him.  (Which means you wouldn’t get him. Because why would they part with a guy who’s shown at least competence for nothing?)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I agree with you.  

The counter-point would be the Texans are BAD, and he exceeded expectations in a tough environment.  

So, if he was part of a convoy of options, I’d be ok with it.   But I wouldn’t give up anything meaningful to get him.  (Which means you wouldn’t get him. Because why would they part with a guy who’s shown at least competence for nothing?)

Pass on Mills if we wanted him we would have got him last year. The mississippi guy looks like best run pass guy in this years draft. 

If we don't get an above average vet I think we could move up by giving up Sweat and this year first.

Sweat is probably as good a prospect as the two top two d linemen this year and is cheaper.

No big QB this year should make it easier to move up.

Edited by Redskins 2021

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Count me out of any idea of trading for Davis Mills.

Granted I haven't watched any of his pro games.  But watched plenty of his college games.  I'll watch some of his pro games if there ever comes a time when there is a rumor about him hitting the trade market. 

In college, I thought he was a poor man's Mac Jones with an injury history.  If I thought he was as good as Jones, I'd be all in.  Like Jones, he was pro ready.  They play a pro offense at Stanford.  But IMHO he doesn't do anything special.  He's not a statue but he also isn't really mobile.  His accuracy is good but not special IMO -- and he throws into heavy coverage too much for my taste.  He has IMO a decent arm, slightly better than average.

In the pros, looking at his stats.  He's averaged about 200 yards a game.  Averaged about a pick a game. His QBR rating is bad, 35.6, that a peg lower than even Heinicke.

Clearly, he didn't crap the bed as a rookie.  That doesn't surprise me.   But he didn't kill it either.  IMO his ceiling is too low for me to get jazzed about him

Look at his numbers w his first 3 games out. 

• Thumb up 1