Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Not only that, but when people look at game tape, whether they picked a favorite or not, they come in with bias. Some people intuitively hate rb's who avoid contact, and love rb's who stick guys like Derek Henry, so they're going to love guys who physically destroy their bodies on their first rookie contract, Earl Campbell style, while guys who simply use their athleticism to avoid hits have decade long careers and more...we not only bring biases in before we watch tape on whom we like, we also bring biases in in terms of what we like to see, and why, and often, the biases are totally wrongheaded. 

It's one of the many reasons I'm suspicious of tape grinding in general. 

A good example, we've got a huge Corum fan here who thinks he just may be the best runner ever in certain aspects of his game, or close to it, meanwhile his over under is 80.5 on william hill. Whose right? We'll find out in a few years time (in that case, I think the NFL and William Hill are right, but who knows). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

And that's why I hope we do not draft him. I want a QB not a RB we’re not going to win anything that matters with this QB. this type QB.

That “ RB” threw for more yards than Caleb, Maye, and JJ last season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

QB not a RB is hilarious.

Best passer in the draft according to some if not most. 

Man, these biases and narratives.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t think it’s about investing energy, it’s about installing operational security forever more moving forward as an organization. The last regime was not just full of leaks, it was an open book. Setting the tone going forward and holding people in the building to that level of secrecy is not really any special allocation of time, energy, or resources—it’s just setting a new standard that people are expected to follow. It’s not about tricking anyone, just being hard for everyone to read always. 

And I’m not really talking about whether we take Daniels or not—lack of leaks was achieved either way and sets the bar going forward. 

I agree. But I was specifically answering to someone saying that Peters was the "misdirection" GOAT if we end up picking Maye. Misdirection implies that you were actively working on it, for which I could only see the two reasons I mentioned.

He has to keep saying it for the people in the back

Text from tweet:

Reporter: “There’s speculation that you may not want to go to Washington. Do you want to just squash that?”

Jayden Daniels: “I’m blessed to go wherever I’m called. Whoever calls my phone, (when the) commissioner gets up and says my name, I’ll be blessed, and they’re going to get my all.”

Reporter (later): “To clarify, would you be OK being drafted by Washington?”

JD: “Yeah. 100 percent.”

During the lengthy interview, Daniels repeatedly said he’s not sure what to expect tomorrow night and wants to go as high as possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Text from tweet:

Reporter: “There’s speculation that you may not want to go to Washington. Do you want to just squash that?”

Jayden Daniels: “I’m blessed to go wherever I’m called. Whoever calls my phone, (when the) commissioner gets up and says my name, I’ll be blessed, and they’re going to get my all.”

During the lengthy interview, Daniels repeatedly said he’s not sure what to expect tomorrow night and wants to go as high as possible.

Nope.  To much “smoke” he hates DC.  He doesn’t want to be there.  He won’t sign a future contract.  Bla bla bla.  lol.  What does he need to do next to satisfy the anti Daniels crowd?  Get a big W tattooed on his forehead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, TurningTheCorner said:

It’s so obviously planted by the raiders/Vikings as a last ditch effort to have us move off their guy.

I mean it all came up after his agent got active on Twitter.

• Thumb down 1

22 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Not only that, but when people look at game tape, whether they picked a favorite or not, they come in with bias. Some people intuitively hate rb's who avoid contact, and love rb's who stick guys like Derek Henry, so they're going to love guys who physically destroy their bodies on their first rookie contract, Earl Campbell style, while guys who simply use their athleticism to avoid hits have decade long careers and more...we not only bring biases in before we watch tape on whom we like, we also bring biases in in terms of what we like to see, and why, and often, the biases are totally wrongheaded. 

It's one of the many reasons I'm suspicious of tape grinding in general. 

A good example, we've got a huge Corum fan here who thinks he just may be the best runner ever in certain aspects of his game, or close to it, meanwhile his over under is 80.5 on william hill. Whose right? We'll find out in a few years time (in that case, I think the NFL and William Hill are right, but who knows). 

It's two different points though.

A.  Do I think most teams have a bias to predispose to like or dislike a player and that influences what they see?  Nope.  That's bad scouting.  Why have a bias before you begin?    Do I think some fans do it sometimes?  Sure.   I do think fanboy owners like Dan Snyder do it this way.  For example he said all college season (according to Keim) anyone who would listen to him that Haskins was the best player in college.  So his mind was made up before the draft process happened.  He was an emotional not anayltical type and it was one of a zillion reasons why he was a bad owner.

B.  Do front offices have predispositions of what to look for because they value some skills over others?  Sure.  But I don't see that as negative. I want my GM to evaluate ALL players based on what they value more.

There is no manual for Peters to turn to.  There is no find a franchise QB for dummies book where you just work off the check list and bam you found your guy.  He's going to have his own subjective check list.  That's fine.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

Nope.  To much “smoke” he hates DC.  He doesn’t want to be there.  He won’t sign a future contract.  Bla bla bla.  lol.  What does he need to do next to satisfy the anti Daniels crowd?  Get a big W tattooed on his forehead?

If JD isn’t willing to take the vet min plus incentives, I don’t want him here. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Hooper said:

QB not a RB is hilarious.

Best passer in the draft according to some if not most. 

Man, these biases and narratives.

Caleb has way more arm talent, his arm is stronger and arm angles and off platform throws are better.  Not sure what in the world would have changed that tape. When I see Daniels or my guy McCarthy, I don't see the same arm talent from the creativity in delivery perspective.  Since passing ultimately comes down to completions, moving the offense, and scoring, I guess it remains to be seen in the NFL.

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

Look at the last toss by JD, right at the 35 second mark.  Kid is 3 yards away and the ball is almost uncatchable.  Is this really who we are picking?  

This y'alls Franchise QB?

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Text from tweet:

Gosh, those are some really narrow shoulders. Finger's crossed he can stay healthy!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

Look at the last toss by JD, right at the 35 second mark.  Kid is 3 yards away and the ball is almost uncatchable.  Is this really who we are picking?  

Also It's not lost on me that his hood-sweatshirt colors are dangerously close to Raiders silver.  

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Gosh, those are some really narrow shoulders. Finger's crossed he can stay healthy!

Don’t give up hope. Maybe he’ll hit puberty over the summer. 😞

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

And Daniels was also padding stats against Grambling, Georgia State, and Army.  

Comments like this are interesting. Here are Daniels stat lines for those 3 games:

Grambling - Score 72 - 10 - Daniels - 18-24 for 269 yds - 5TDs 0 int  The team ran for 302 yds - he had 29 yds on 5 carries. Daniels did not finish the game.  Stat padding? Not in my opnion

Army - Score 62 - 0 - Daniels 11-15 for 279 tds and 3TDs He also rushed for 6 yds on 5 carries. Daniels did not finish the game. Stat padding? Not from my view. 

Georgia State - Score 56 - 14 - Daniels - 25-30  for 413 yds and 6 TDs He did rush for 96 yds on 10 carries. This is the only game where you could maybe say stat padding - but he only threw 30 times.  

Not directed at jsut you - I get the legitimate concerns about Daniels. He is not the prototyipical body you would like, especially for a running QB. But some of the statements made as facts have gotten out of hand. Like the several times people have insisted Daniels played at 180 to 190. Do you not realize how much different that weight looks like on an young athlete? I thought it was just hyperbole but several have repeated it over and over agian like it's fact in thier mind.  It's NOT! LOL  That is a seriously ridiculous statment to make. There seems to be a lot PTSD from RGIII. And honestly that's fair. But let's not make stuff up. He said he played at 205 and that passes the eye test. 

At this point I don't care which QB they select. There are enough positives and red flags for all 3 reasonable options that it's just up to the team what kind of offence they want to run and who they think will be fit that offence. Keep in mind, while we have an idea, we don't really know what kind of off Kliff wants to run here. 

Tomorrow evening cannot get here soon enough! 

image.png.8bdd7e7d08b2a15787febf0d1554bd7d.png

Edited by goskins10
Ugg Typos!
  • Like 4