Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I used to worry about our FO just getting locked into a guy and miss stuff because they stopped looking or didn’t want to look.  And not just Dan, but he was the biggest offender.

I don’t have that same fear with this group.  Whichever way they go, at the very least I believe it will be a thorough, detailed and collaborative process.  They might be right and they might be wrong, which we will learn in time.  

But at least it will be a good process with good evaluators making the decision.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rockluc said:

Personally I find winning more fun than watching YouTube highlight videos while waiting for our qb to come back from his latest injury but that might just be me. 🤷‍♂️ 

You’ll be waiting a while for an inconsistent QB to grow up to get to winning.

8 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

And most of all, even if he does run, and you do need a dual-threat QB in this league, just watching him his first and second instinct is NOT to run.

Few have ever relied more on their legs than JD. It’s the only game he has unless his first read is open or his Oline gives him a perfectly clean pocket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not making the case that he is RG3 (though as I've said the similarity that concerns me is the way they take hits). But there was a ton of glowing stuff about Griffin before that draft. It's one reason I got on board after not liking him much for most of the process, that he was supposedly this super humble and great person. 

Griffin had a great deep ball at Baylor, btw. I'd have rated him well better than Daniels at that one skill. 

Yes, I agree about the hits with RG3. The guy did not even know how to slide.  And it seems based upon everything I have read that Daniels has changed his approach, so he does not take those types of hits like he did at Arizona which led to those injuries. I can see the concern, however.  

I used to think that RG3 had a good long ball, but what happened after he was injured?  He just did not seem able to make that adjustment to just being a drop back passer because of the prior injury.  He did not make those reads accurately, so he took a lot of sacks.

And if your opponents, like when he was at Baylor know the threat is there for him to run, the type of pressure is different.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Yes, I agree about the hits with RG3. The guy did not even know how to slide.  And it seems based upon everything I have read that Daniels has changed his approach, so he does not take those types of hits like he did at Arizona which led to those injuries. I can see the concern, however.  

I used to think that RG3 had a good long ball, but what happened after he was injured?  He just did not seem able to make that adjustment to just being a drop back passer because of the prior injury.  He did not make those reads accurately, so he took a lot of sacks.

And if your opponents, like when he was at Baylor know the threat is there for him to run, the type of pressure is different.   

I don't want to keep rehashing the things that have been said 100s of times in this thread, but "slide more" isn't a solution to the Daniels/RG3 problem, which is not having the instinct to take hits properly. 

The rest of what you posted really has nothing to do with anything I said. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Few have ever relied more on their legs than JD. It’s the only game he has unless his first read is open or his Oline gives him a perfectly clean pocket.

I mean he had over 3,800 yards passing last year.  Compared to 3,600 passing yards for Maye. I mean yes, Daniel's had a lot of rushing yards, but his passing yards were comparable to other QB's. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

And it seems based upon everything I have read that Daniels has changed his approach, so he does not take those types of hits like he did at Arizona which led to those injuries.  

He still took massive hits after transferring.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't want to keep rehashing the things that have been said 100s of times int his thread, but "slide more" isn't a solution to the Daniels/RG3 problem, which is not having the instinct to take hits properly. 

The rest of what you posted really has nothing to do with anything I said. 

That is fine I have not been on here for a few days because of work, so my apologies.  And just to be clear. All I am saying is that I think Daniel's has made adjustments in his game so I am not concerned about an injury.  But I 100% the rehashing gets old. And you have solid takes. I can't wait for the draft...lol!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I used to think that RG3 had a good long ball, but what happened after he was injured?  He just did not seem able to make that adjustment to just being a drop back passer because of the prior injury.  He did not make those reads accurately, so he took a lot of sacks

Quarterbacks who are elite threats to run get defensive looks that are sometimes easier to beat than a pocket quarterback because the defensive coordinator has to stay more honest.

Once a quarterback who's main weapon is to run loses his legs he better get much better with his arm fast because the defense can now pin its ears back while also only worrying about 5 guys who can beat you rather than 6.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Fair enough. But IMO most QB's take some massive hits. It is part of the game. Point is he handled it at LSU. In Arizona he was crushed. 

• Like 1

This is not a at all true. Look at the hits Daniels took this year. The guy seeks contact and at his size won’t finish an NFL season. 

Schlereth talked about something with Maye that I also find concerning (I'll get to Breer on McCarthy.)

He said his release is "loopy." Meaning maybe not "slow" but long. And watching the Pro Day it jumped out at me. It's not the end of the world but it is a concern and Schlereth talked about how when your release is long, it leads to easier flubs of the easy stuff as you try to quicken your release. Hence, missing short throws.

Breer said McCarthy puts his whole body into his throws. That's not entirely accurate (especially on the run) but I do see that at times.  Just something for people to consider. Daniels has a nice release but someone mentioned kicking his foot out. Not sure how consistently that occurs though.

• Like 2

Just now, skinsmania123 said:

Fair enough. But IMO most QB's take some massive hits. It is part of the game. Point is he handled it at LSU. In Arizona he was crushed. 

He gets crushed everywhere.

How many of these do you think he takes in the NFL before he can’t get up from one?

• Like 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

This is not a at all true. Look at the hits Daniels took this year. The guy seeks contact and at his size won’t finish an NFL season. 

I have watched a lot of tape on Daniel's at LSU. Can you direct me to a few?  Because I did not see then as massive at LSU.  Sure he took some hits, they all do.  To me it is how you handle it. 

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

That is fine I have not been on here for a few days because of work, so my apologies.  And just to be clear. All I am saying is that I think Daniel's has made adjustments in his game so I am not concerned about an injury.  But I 100% the rehashing gets old. And you have solid takes. I can't wait for the draft...lol!

Nothing to apologize for, and it really isn't about the last few days. I haven't posted here in a while, largely because it felt like all most of us were doing was repeating the same things over and over again. 

But to sum up what my biggest issue with Daniels has always been, it's not the amount of hits he takes, it's the way he takes them. QBs are going to get hit a lot, running QBs more than others. But being a guy who seems to absorb the full brunt of hits and have a head and limbs that whiplash with them is major injuries waiting to happen. Especially with a skinny frame. That is all very RG3ish. 

• Like 1

I have watched a lot of tape on Daniel's at LSU. Can you direct me to a few?  Because I did not see then as massive at LSU.  Sure he took some hits, they all do.  To me it is how you handle it. 

No the MF got cooked. Repeatedly LOL. He did make an effort at the end of the season to slow it down but that was like half a season. Dude was looking to make plays and be safe second. I dont actually think thats coached out of him. He even sticks his head in there when he throws a pick. Like hes like one of those puppies that hes he is still 10 pounds but hes 120. But in reverse. He is a reverse puppy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

Schlereth talked about something with Maye that I also find concerning (I'll get to Breer on McCarthy.)

He said his release is "loopy." Meaning maybe not "slow" but long. And watching the Pro Day it jumped out at me. It's not the end of the world but it is a concern and Schlereth talked about how when your release is long, it leads to easier flubs of the easy stuff as you try to quicken your release. Hence, missing short throws.

Breer said McCarthy puts his whole body into his throws. That's not entirely accurate (especially on the run) but I do see that at times.  Just something for people to consider. Daniels has a nice release but someone mentioned kicking his foot out. Not sure how consistently that occurs though.

That Maye throwing motion has some “Jason Campbell” elements to it. 

as for JJ, it seems like a lot of the talking heads aren’t actually watching him and doing a full evaluation of all his throws. Straight up lazy.

Luckily our staff will 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I just watched what you posted, and I see stuff like that every Sunday with QB's. The bottom line is can they get up and continue?  I know Andrew Luck couldn't after a few years. 

And I hope that is not Daniel's.  I just don't see him as RG3 except from a dual-threat perspective. That one video, the guy was barreling down on his head and got called for it. If that **** happens every week, find me any QB in the NFL that could take hit after hit like that and not be horribly injured.  

Who do you think they should take if not him?  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No the MF got cooked. Repeatedly LOL. He did make an effort at the end of the season to slow it down but that was like half a season. Dude was looking to make plays and be safe second. I dont actually think thats coached out of him. He even sticks his head in there when he throws a pick. Like hes like one of those puppies that hes he is still 10 pounds but hes 120. But in reverse. He is a reverse puppy. 

Fair enough. That was a great analogy. I had to laugh. But I honestly I like him and I think he can stay healthy. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Fair enough. That was a great analogy. I had to laugh. But I honestly I like him and I think he can stay healthy. 

I like him too and I think he can stay healthy if he works at being smarter. He has to pull a Mahomes and save his playmaking until the game in on the line or about to get out of hand. Thats it. He needs to have a mental on and off switch and thats up to how well he takes coaching. Everything we know says he takes coaching well, so who knows. 

But the dude is reckless as **** with his body, and thats not good at his size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like him and I think he can stay healthy.

But for how long?

Do you believe he can realistically be our quarterback ten years from now playing the way he plays?

Do you think his arm talent is good enough to abandon the run first mentality and pick defenses apart with his mind and arm while keeping them honest by exploiting huge holes in the defense with off script runs while sliding after a 25 yard gain like the quarterbacks who enjoy longevity do?

I don't see it but if we draft him I'll hope for the best.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That is lazy. It would only take like, part of an afternoon.

Exactly!  Took about half that time viewing 3rd down cut-ups to realize how well he translates to the pro game. 

14 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I just watched what you posted, and I see stuff like that every Sunday with QB's. The bottom line is can they get up and continue?  I know Andrew Luck couldn't after a few years. 

And I hope that is not Daniel's.  I just don't see him as RG3 except from a dual-threat perspective. That one video, the guy was barreling down on his head and got called for it. If that **** happens every week, find me any QB in the NFL that could take hit after hit like that and not be horribly injured.  

Who do you think they should take if not him?  

Most NFL QBs do not get hit like this every Sunday

Screenshot-2023-09-16-at-4.03.34-PM.png

As @Rufus T Fireflynoted it's also the way he takes hits and how his body reacts to them. Some guys have a natural instinct to get compact and tighten up when they get hit, but some guys are the opposite and basically splay out and flop like ragdolls when it happens. That's how Daniels seems to be. It was also how RG3 was. It's a bit concerning because that's going to open you up to more potential ligament and joint damage. 

• Like 1