Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

Caleb refused medicals. And that’s just the start of it, but all of his character concerns have been addressed here already. You think Jayden is a diva/bust and I think of Caleb as a diva/all-time level bust. To each their own. :cheers:

I mean, with Caleb he's got the Bears likely telling him he's locked in at #1.  Everything else is kinda for show.

For Daniels, you're fighting for 2/3.  He's got something to prove still.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Same in that i dont worry about the weight to much. There are many way to mitigate the kind of hits he takes, he just has to be smart. They can teach him that. 

But if that ****er weighs in at 190 or less you gotta do the little eyebrow thing a least a little bit. 

edit: I dont know how to do gifs but yall know what im talking about 

The way to mitigate hits is going to involve changing his instincts and teaching him to slide. Right now he has an extremely high percentage of times that he tucks and runs after breaking the pocket instead of keeping his eyes downfield and making an off platform throw first and then only running if nobody is open. 

So he's going to have to be coached to start keeping his eyes downfield when pressured instead of following his instincts and immediately running. That's how he's going to avoid some of those hits. He also sucks at sliding, but that's easier to learn than altering his instincts. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean yeah he'll look great throwing against oxygen like literally every QB pro day ever.

You can tell the difference between an elite arm and a regular one in a pro day throwing session.  I remember watching Josh Allen's and Anthony Richardson's.  That was when my skepticism about them started to dissipate.  If Jayden goes out there and just smokes it, demonstrating easy power, then yeah, it's going to change my mind about him.  One of the biggest reasons I like Maye so much more than him is the difference in arm talent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Same in that i dont worry about the weight to much. There are many way to mitigate the kind of hits he takes, he just has to be smart. They can teach him that. 

But if that ****er weighs in at 190 or less you gotta do the little eyebrow thing a least a little bit. 

edit: I dont know how to do gifs but yall know what im talking about 

He played 5 years of college ball. He’s more like a free agent pickup than an inexperienced rookie draft pick.  He is who he is. He’s not going to gain any amount of real weight and his style isn’t going to change that much, particularly in year 1 or 2. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Honestly, I'm still just trying to get used to agreeing on a QB.   :ols: 

It’s a once a century thing!  Maye is this century’s Sammy Baugh. 

Edit. I still give Maye a 90% chance to be a bust to be clear. But if he’s in that 10% it’s going to be great. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If Jayden goes out there and just smokes it, demonstrating easy power,

This is what I want to see. Because I never saw it on film at all. And you need smoke to play in the NFCE in the winter. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“We can have a big impact if we make the right selection,” managing partner Josh Harris said.

Not to be a jerk. But the fact that Josh Harris is using "we" in this statement concerns me a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm we said the same thing about RGIII and sliding and MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHH

That is one thing that I do like about Maye.  His slide is so crisp.  Did I ever think I'd be out here hyping up a baseball slide?  No.  But here we are.

Im not talking about teaching him to slide im talking about teaching him when to take risks with his body and when not to. And RG3 obviously had a bunch of stuff going on. Ego, Dan,Shanny (x2).....No one we draft will have any of that. Yall gotta get out of the RG3 failed so anyone who remotely resembles him will too. Eveyone here failed for the last 25 years. Gotta let it go at some point. 

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

You sure about that? They couldnt teach RG3 how to do it. Along with a long line of other QB's who are no longer in the league because they never learned how to protect themselves. 

See above. You knew before you typed it that its asinine to compare what you can teach people. Its not impossible. You know this. We dont have to argue it. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is what I want to see. Because I never saw it on film at all. And you need smoke to play in the NFCE in the winter. 

Not to be a jerk. But the fact that Josh Harris is using "we" in this statement concerns me a little bit. 

Zero evidence that Harris even gives an iota of input on personnel.  If anyone should say "we", its Harris over any of us here even though we like to say we including myself.  Harris is "we" he owns the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

See above. You knew before you typed it that its asinine to compare what you can teach people. Its not impossible. You know this. We dont have to argue it. 

It's not impossible, but it's also not as easy as some seem to think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This tells me you didnt watch it. That film is some of the best I graded this cycle. Maye doesnt catch the ball. 

Yeah, I'm a Daniels guy (by a smidgen) and if I were trying to advocate for him by illuminating Maye's deficiencies the last game I'd choose to belittle him with would be the Virginia game...

Title of video: "Drake Maye vs Virginia...The Best Game I've Ever Scouted."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The way to mitigate hits is going to involve changing his instincts and teaching him to slide. Right now he has an extremely high percentage of times that he tucks and runs after breaking the pocket instead of keeping his eyes downfield and making an off platform throw first and then only running if nobody is open. 

So he's going to have to be coached to start keeping his eyes downfield when pressured instead of following his instincts and immediately running. That's how he's going to avoid some of those hits. He also sucks at sliding, but that's easier to learn than altering his instincts. 

Its no different than teaching a guy to throw it away. He does all this stuff now, just not as much as we want him to. For all we know he was told to run if its open. 

You just make it a simple choice. 4th quarter? Run if open. Not 4th quarter throw it away. Its not hard. Yall are making it hard. He even has RG3s example of what happens when you dont. You end up in Cleveland and then divorced. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Im not talking about teaching him to slide im talking about teaching him when to take risks with his body and when not to. And RG3 obviously had a bunch of stuff going on. Ego, Dan,Shanny (x2).....No one we draft will have any of that. Yall gotta get out of the RG3 failed so anyone who remotely resembles him will too. Eveyone here failed for the last 25 years. Gotta let it go at some point. 

Here's the problem.  Daniels LOVES to cut inside and get an extra 15 yards.

Can you teach him not to do that? Okay let's say we can.  What does that do to his value, if he can get 10 yards where others might only scramble for 7, but he can no longer get 20?

And then you have the defense.  What if the defense forces him inside on his runs?  Now it's not about him getting to the sideline bc the sideline is 20 yards away.  He's gotta get down.  That's where sliding comes right back into play, along with beating that "cut and keep going" mentality out of him.

I don't think it'll be that easy to teach him all that.  And again, if you do, how much value does that shave off the top?

Like Maye is pretty mobile and can scramble decently.  He doesn't have afterburners like Daniels tho.  But, if you stick a governor on Daniels to keep him healthy, how much do you reduce the delta between the benefits of their running abilities?

Edited by DogofWar1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I was wondering what happened with this photo as well. It's clearly been shopped in some way?

Must have been I reckon. It’s like another nose and mouth. Maybe a second inlet to help put on weight :ols:

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's not impossible, but it's also not as easy as some seem to think.

I think its easier than teaching a guy consistent footwork if im being honest. And i think its absolutely no different than teaching a guy to throw it away which to you point aint exactly a sure thing either. It depends on the guy. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I think its easier than teaching a guy consistent footwork if im being honest. And i think its absolutely no different than teaching a guy to throw it away which to you point aint exactly a sure thing either. It depends on the guy. 

It's not just "teaching a guy to throw it away". It's going to take time and lots of reps because you're not just "teaching", you're re-training his brain to stop pulling his eyes down as soon as there's pressure and running vs buying time and keeping his eyes downfield. It CAN be done, but it's going to be a process and during the process he's still probably going to be running too much and taking lots of hits because of it.