Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I posted a Youtube vid of Colt McCoy breaking him down in the draft thread today. Its pretty good if you have some time to watch it.

Wow, I'll defintely watch.  Colt McCoy, I ironically mentioned Colt earlier this morning on the draft thread when watching Bo Nix.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Drake Maye = meh.

He’s basically Sam Howell with a little more upside if Howell had come out a year earlier. 

Caleb Williams seems the most legit but that dude thinks he’s already arrived. The NFL will humble you and you have to put in the work and have the right attitude. But that guy is by far better than the others when he’s on. I hated him in college but the dude is next level when he’s playing well. 

Jayden Daniels was pretty decent at ASU as well. I watched him more there. I only watched a couple of LSU games but the dude can spin it deep. 

Regardless, we have to roll the dice and draft one. They also need to move on fast if we don’t hit. No sunk cost bs. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

Just now, Dan T. said:

Drake Maye = meh.

This is why you're perpetually flooded with college football and NFL job offers. 😛

(I offer this unprovoked assault with no really well-informed position on Maye but a deep knowledge of Dan's football posting 😁👹💩)

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe but I am not sure why Drake Maye is out of that.  The dude could run.    He was a more profilic runner in college than Caleb. 

I stand corrected.  Maye did run for more yards.  My bad. 

2 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Young will be head hunting...so I'm OK to keep Sam out. You KNOW he'd like to take out the "Golden Boy"

Unless he has a time machine to go back in time a few weeks, there is no golden boy to take out. It’s fools gold or a polished turd at this point. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

after a few hours thinking about this. If Ron did this, but also decided to give guys like Wylie and Logan Thomas a seat. Mayo and St. Juste too. Then you would see a guy sitting down all the players who aren't performing. But he's not.

Let me see Mason Brooks, Kazmeir Allen and whoever from the practice squad. 

That’s where I am. He should still play to win AND protect his team. I’d sit any of my blue chip guys e.g. McLaurin should sit, Jonathon and Payne should sit, Curl should sit, Fuller. Let the young guys play and let ‘em play hard. 

I hope Harris meddles in that sense, he should absolutely protect his assets for the long term.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with just one game and he comes back against Dallas as was mentioned by others on this thread.  But I don't get the vibe that's whats going to happen.

I don't think so either unless there is an outside force which puts pressure in order to ensure the appropriate outcome.  Ron's has nothing to gain by doing it himself. 

Ron has screwed this up in so many ways it's even hard to count them. And now he's lost.  He needs direction from above before he's fired.  

I do NOT expect the players on the field or the coaches coaching to throw a game.  

HOWEVER, the way you "tank" is you go into full "evaluation" mode of players who are bottom half of the roster players.  Sit everybody who could be a starter.  IR them if you can, inactivate them if you can't.  

Fromm should be playing.  You know what you have in Brissett.  

I don't know who they have on the OL who they can evaluate, but none of Leno, Lucas, Gates, Cosmi or Wylie should be playing.  I don't care about Charles.  Get that Scott guy some reps.  Bring up whoever you've got on the PS.  If they fail, well, now there's tape on them.

Somebody needs to tell Ron the season is over and they need to go into entire re-build/evaluation mode and ensure the losses.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Well, this would call the veracity of my previous post into question since you're pretty good at the football stuff. 😀🙃🤡

Veracity is a word I have never seen before in 49 years, and change, of living. Nice one, like that 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think so either unless there is an outside force which puts pressure in order to ensure the appropriate outcome.  Ron's has nothing to gain by doing it himself. 

Ron has screwed this up in so many ways it's even hard to count them. And now he's lost.  He needs direction from above before he's fired.  

I do NOT expect the players on the field or the coaches coaching to throw a game.  

HOWEVER, the way you "tank" is you go into full "evaluation" mode of players who are bottom half of the roster players.  Sit everybody who could be a starter.  IR them if you can, inactivate them if you can't.  

Fromm should be playing.  You know what you have in Brissett.  

I don't know who they have on the OL who they can evaluate, but none of Leno, Lucas, Gates, Cosmi or Wylie should be playing.  I don't care about Charles.  Get that Scott guy some reps.  Bring up whoever you've got on the PS.  If they fail, well, now there's tape on them.

Somebody needs to tell Ron the season is over and they need to go into entire re-build/evaluation mode and ensure the losses.  

Agree.  The Eagles did this in essence in the last game of Ron's first season here.  I recall the Giants were irate about it because they think it cost them the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  The Eagles did this in essence in the last game of Ron's first season here.  I recall the Giants were irate about it because they think it cost them the playoffs.

Yep. Didn't just sit their QB but a bunch of other starters. Giants were big mad. I'd treat the next two games like the preseason. Getting lots of guys who barely play beyond teams, reps on Offense or Defense. **** the score. The league added a game. I'm sure they won't be mad that this will help Dallas and San Fran

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted about this a few times somewhere.  They pulled hurts and put in that guy who's name i can't remember who used to play for us to make ABSOLUTELY DAMN SURE they lost hte game and had the best draft capital they could.

Here's a sliding doors moment:  IF the Washington Football Team, as they were then known, lost that game, and the Giants won the NFC East with a 6-10 record (they were at 6-10, but I believe they beat us twice or had the division tie-breaker, or something, so we needed to get to 7-9 to win the division), let's pretend for a minute we just switched draft spots with them. They were 6-10, we would have been 6-10 but they win the division so they pick 19, we pick 11.  

Justin Fields went to the Bears with the Giants pick at 11 after the trade.

If we lose that game, I think there's almost a 100% chance we draft Fields.  Or if we really wanted to, Micah Parsons was right there also and they could have had him instead of the Cowboys.  

Now, I will also say I was NOT for the tank in 2020, I wanted to win that game, and I wanted to get into the playoffs, and there was some hope they could build around the momentum.  

What I didn't predict at that point is THAT would be the high-point of Ron's tenure.  So in hindsight, if they lose, we probably get fields.  And oh, btw, we NEVER EVER EVER see Heinicke play.  He doesn't get his moment in the playoff game (because there isn't one), he probably isn't even re-signed to be a backup. Tooodaloooo MFer.  

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think in reality you go all in for the #1 pick, or bail out for assets.

Job #1 is getting to #3. For that, we must lose.  

We need organization direction to do that.  Ron isn't competent enough to know that's the right thing to do.  

Dumbass.  

• Like 2

I want no part of Caleb Williams.  Leaders of men don't cry in their mommy's lap in front of everyone after losing a game...they do it afterwards in private!  I also can't get excited about Drake Maye.  He couldn't elevate his team to a win over my pathetic Wahoos this past season and threw a horrific interception at the end of the game. Daniels looks like an RG3 that knows how to slide -- mildly interesting but not worth a high first rounder in my opinion.

I'd prefer seeing who is available in the 2nd round and have them go head to head with Howell next offseason.  Take Harrison or one of the fat boys with our 1st.

• Thumb down 2

26 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I also feel like Drake Maye is Sam Howell +4 inches.  He just doesn’t do it for me.

Jayden Daniels or bust, please!

He's definitley by a country mile a more hyped QB than Howell was in their last season.

I don't find them too similar watching them except for they arguably share two weaknesses -- decision making (picks) and while they are both mobile you can bring them down where pressure is converted to sacks.

As to traits, if you told me Sam was 4 inches taller, faster, with a quicker release and an even a stronger arm -- I'd have no angst about Sam as a future starter.  That's Drake Maye IMO.

While Sam feels like a John Beck level punchline right now -- we all know he played well for some games this season.  If Sam had elite traits, I'd still think let it ride but alas he doesn't have them.  

Drake has his flaws but his ceiling is much highter than Sam IMO.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39136559/2024-nfl-draft-quarterback-class-williams-maye-daniels-mccarthy

Maye -- who has declared -- is more than just a consolation prize to teams that miss out on Williams. At 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, he has an arm like Herbert's and uses his mobility to pick up tough yards when pressed outside the pocket. He can be raw with ball placement and lower-body mechanics, but his best throws are jaw-droppers.

And the reality is Maye grades out higher than many recent class's QB1s. Let's go back a decade. I have Maye graded higher than Young (QB1 in 2023), Kenny Pickett (2022), Kyler Murray (2019), Mayfield (2018), Mitch Trubisky (2017) and Blake Bortles (2014). He is a legitimate franchise quarterback, and even with Williams being the clear favorite to go first, there will be many teams jockeying for position to select him.

"For Maye or someone else to take that top spot [from Williams], I think interviews are important, but it's also a matter of preference and scheme. What offense are you running? What division are you in? Maye is much bigger than Williams, and that alone could swing a decision," said an AFC North area scout. "In our division, size could be the tiebreaker if you have them rated closely -- especially when you look at how Bryce Young is struggling [in Carolina]."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38075061/ranking-nfl-draft-first-round-qbs-2019-2024-prospects

Drake Maye 

The reigning ACC Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year has already drawn comparisons to Herbert for his size (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), arm strength and power as a runner.

"Maye would be QB1 in most drafts," an AFC area scout said.

In his first season under center for the Tar Heels, he improved the North Carolina offense, throwing for 38 touchdown passes and just seven interceptions while also running for seven more scores. Maye is still an unknown with just 14 games under his belt, but the potential is outstanding. It might seem like the No. 1 spot in 2024 firmly belongs to Williams, but Maye should be a worthy competitor over the next nine months.

"If Caleb Williams weren't in this draft, we'd be talking about Maye as a generational prospect," an AFC executive said. "He still might be one."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, Buddha said:

I want no part of Caleb Williams.  Leaders of men don't cry in their mommy's lap in front of everyone after losing a game...they do it afterwards in private!  I also can't get excited about Drake Maye.  He couldn't elevate his team to a win over my pathetic Wahoos this past season and threw a horrific interception at the end of the game. Daniels looks like an RG3 that knows how to slide -- mildly interesting but not worth a high first rounder in my opinion.

I'd prefer seeing who is available in the 2nd round and have them go head to head with Howell next offseason.  Take Harrison or one of the fat boys with our 1st.

I am totally against this.  

I have no idea how good any of these guys are going to be.

However, you take your shot early and see if it works out.  You get the guy with the best physical skills and track record.

You have to get VERY VERY lucky to hit on a QB later in the draft.  Hell, you have to get lucky to hit on a QB early in the draft.  But the odds are better.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1