Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I don't know what he is, I just think its pretty impressive he's only had one truly crappy Quarterbacking performance through what, 9 starts? He's definitely had hot and cold halves, A LOT, but statistically he's been fine. I remain confused, though I do think some that are really down on him, including some article my brother forwarded to me on where he stood at this point this morning (awful) don't seem to capture just how god awful our quarterbacking has been since Cousins left. We have a guy whose been pretty consistently good to average in most of his starts despite crap coaching, a crap OL, and middling support from the running game and the pass catching core. He's been damn good considering how few starts he's had at everything save pocket awareness. 

But I still don't know if that's good enough or not. Time will tell. Hoping for better clarity before the end of the year, but I'd still be drafting a QB. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

24 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

No but we can project ahead. He was solid today. Maybe his best game yet. But he threw essentially a game breaking INT at the worst possible time. 

Sam right now is very hot and cold. For as good as he was today he’s been equally if not worse over the last month. 

I personally would trade him at the end of the season. He’s going to be on his 3rd offense in 3 years next year. Even then he hasn’t shown to me that he has the capability to be elite. Think Derek Carr level.  Let some one else take that risk 

If you had actually followed Carr's NFL career you will see his ups and downs are like a roller coasters. Howell has been more up than down. Today with a lot better protection he was up and that INT doesn't happen if Ron challenges that 4th down incomplete pass on the Eagles. Your evaluation of the QB is pretty lame if you want to trade Howell when the D gave up 38 points.

Btw, even with his 2nd new offense with a new OC he has done hell of lot better than most QB can do or have. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If you had actually followed Carr's NFL career you will see his ups and downs are like a roller coasters. Howell has been more up than down. Today with a lot better protection he was up and that INT doesn't happen if Ron challenges that 4th down incomplete pass on the Eagles. Your evaluation of the QB is pretty lame if you want to trade Howell when the D gave up 38 points.

Btw, even with his 2nd new offense with a new OC he has done hell of lot better than most QB can do or have. 

I think you keep trying until you find an elite guy. Take a look back at the last 15 years. All elite qbs outside a 1-2 flukes like Foles. Even then they had home field and a bye with out him taking a snap. 

Edited by Stihl89

27 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

No but we can project ahead. He was solid today. Maybe his best game yet. But he threw essentially a game breaking INT at the worst possible time. 

Sam right now is very hot and cold. For as good as he was today he’s been equally if not worse over the last month. 

I personally would trade him at the end of the season. He’s going to be on his 3rd offense in 3 years next year. Even then he hasn’t shown to me that he has the capability to be elite. Think Derek Carr level.  Let some one else take that risk 

Whew lad that’s quite the stretch 

That you said today was MAYBE his best game makes me think you don't know much about football. It was clearly his best game and he's had other great games as well in his very young career. Other than one game, he's been HOT. Blazing Hot.

He has not been equally worse this past month, he's been great other than the Buffalo game. Even Brady, Aikman, Manning have had games like that (many games like that in fact) so give the kid just a tiny teensy little break. And on top of that, after the Buffalo game he bounced back and almost BY HIMSELF won us the Eagles game at the Eagles. Probably would have if the coach had gone for 2.

You should not be making any trade decisions. With you in charge, we would trade Sam for a Sam Sandwich, sign a vet for 40 Million per year, he'd snap his leg off first snap of the season, and then we'd have to go out and re-sign Taylor Heinicke. You know, the Dan Snyder team building method.

And why will he be on his third offense, we could win the next three games and be 6-5 heading into Dallas on Thanksgiving, finish the season strong and continue to build. We were never going to win the Super Bowl this year. I would keep most of the coaching staff and get a new, younger defensive coordinator. Or just make Bienemy the head coach, he's a good dude and would be a fantastic head coach. This way Sam stays in that offense, which is clearly working for him.

I'm not happy with the record, but I am happy with Sam Howell and the future of this young team. Just jump on board and stop being a Negative Nancy and don't call people Lad when your argument is clearly the wrong one.

• Like 2

If you look at the late pick by Sam it might not be as cut and dry as it might have looked.  You can see the cut up on Twitter but the ball was there and it looked like Terry reacted late maybe because he was focused on the defender who was about to drop the hammer on him.

He gets his hands up too late and its almost as if the ball goes through his hands or his hands got up to make the catch a split second too late and the ball was past him.

The screen below shows Terry's hands extended to make the catch and the ball already past him.

image.png.1a335c403b0b4897cae473dd0367853f.png

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

He was miserable the last two weeks. Not sure what you were watching. 

What is your QB solution? You apparently want to trade Howell (for what?) so how would you then proceed?

And saying "get an elite QB" isn't sufficient. You have to explain how we do it. No established elite QBs will be coming here and it's insanely unlikely that we'll have a top 3 pick this upcoming draft unless we somehow lose every single game from here on.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Yes, he was miserable against the Falcons with 3 TD's and no interceptions with a 119.7 QB rating in a WIN.

Total bum. CUT HIM, CUT HIM NOW!

Giants game wasn't his best but it wasn't miserable, he still gave us a chance to win. And he almost got us back into the miserable Chicago game if the field goal kicker hadn't missed an easy one.

I can't believe that some of you can't see that this kid is the future. A very bright future. Take your blinders off and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If you look at the late pick by Sam it might not be as cut and dry as it might have looked.  You can see the cut up on Twitter but the ball was there and it looked like Terry reacted late maybe because he was focused on the defender who was about to drop the hammer on him.

He gets his hands up too late and its almost as if the ball goes through his hands or his hands got up to make the catch a split second too late and the ball was past him.

The screen below shows Terry's hands extended to make the catch and the ball already past him.

image.png.1a335c403b0b4897cae473dd0367853f.png

Terry had a tough game. Looked good early but did not help Sam out at all in the second half. He would be the first to admit it 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What is your QB solution? You apparently want to trade Howell (for what?) so how would you then proceed?

And saying "get an elite QB" isn't sufficient. You have to explain how we do it. No established elite QBs will be coming here and it's insanely unlikely that we'll have a top 3 pick this upcoming draft unless we somehow lose every single game from here on.

I’m making a trade up for Maye. Do my homework on McCarthy. Otherwise I’n collecting as much 25 draft capital as possible to ensure being able to strike on a QB

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I’m making a trade up for Maye. Do my homework on McCarthy. Otherwise I’n collecting as much 25 draft capital as possible to ensure being able to strike on a QB

We already have a QB. You should be collecting as much draft capital as possible to shore up linebacker, secondary and offensive line. Then let Curtis Samuel go, get an AJ Brown type to pair with McLaurin and Dotson (spend big on that one in free agency). I would also trade Sweat, keep Chase (he'll eventually be great), and add another stud defensive end. Then I would get another stud TE to pair with Thomas. I would also spend big on a LT if there is one out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

I think you keep trying until you find an elite guy. Take a look back at the last 15 years. All elite qbs outside a 1-2 flukes like Foles. Even then they had home field and a bye with out him taking a snap. 

18 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

You know I just started watching football about a week ago and so what you are telling me is that all the QB taken in the 1st round are ELITE QBs? If that is the case then the new coaches need to give up all of their draft picks to move up to the #1 spot then. Maye must be a really elite guy then looks like even better than Mahomes and Allen and Brady combined!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

And how much are you willing to give up for Maye? He's likely a top 3 pick. Unless we're in the top 10 we probably have no chance of trading up anyway. The closest comparison would be the Niners going from 12 to 3 and giving up three 1sts and more for Lance.

1 hour ago, Stihl89 said:

Howell had a rough game against the Giants but he was good against the Falcons.  14 for 23 for 151 yards, three TD's no interceptions.  The playcalling got really conservative in the second half.  And then when it wasn't conservative his teammates didn't help him, Dotson dropped a 30 yard beautiful throw in the second half.  That was a solid game against the Falcons.  NY Giants different story.  He was bad.  But before the Giants games he had three pretty good games against the Eagles, Bears, and Falcons.

I've played lots of sports, watched tons of football. My eyes at this point tell me Sam Howell could be a Drew Brees style QB. He has proven to me his height will not be a problem. The list of "concerns" I have about him are short these days. Im so glad Snyder isn't around to **** this up somehow. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

Howell is now top 5 in passing yards and touchdowns. Even if you take into account that we haven't had a bye, he's still easily top 10. If he continues to cut down on sacks (today was a huge step forward) we really have something. If we keep losing and draft a top LT, we will be solid heading into the rebuild. Should be a desirable place for the next GM and HC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyler Spiers said:

Yes, he was miserable against the Falcons with 3 TD's and no interceptions with a 119.7 QB rating in a WIN.

Total bum. CUT HIM, CUT HIM NOW!

Giants game wasn't his best but it wasn't miserable, he still gave us a chance to win. And he almost got us back into the miserable Chicago game if the field goal kicker hadn't missed an easy one.

I can't believe that some of you can't see that this kid is the future. A very bright future. Take your blinders off and enjoy the ride.

The post you responded to has got to be a joke.  Clearly the poster doesn't pay attention to the games, more specifically the arm talent, movement, weekly improvement recognizing defenses, etc., etc., etc. Your supposed to help out a young QB , but apparently, unless he plays a perfect game, it isn't good enough.  Very Very sad!

• Like 1

Still not sure he'll ever be elite enough to be a championship QB unless he's on an elite team.  I think you can win with him, but I think it is likely they'll need to upgrade every offensive position with somebody that is better than the best player they have there to be a true championship contender.  Need a WR better than McLaurin.  Need a TE better than Logan.  Need a RB better than their best RB, OT better than their best OT, etc.

Howell can play. All of the backhanded compliments and “but, but” criticisms feel kinda silly. 

If the new regime took over TODAY, they would be foolish to kick him to the curb. He was elite today at times. I’m sorry if people can’t see it. 

Quan can have one bad half and he’s a bust. Howell can measure top half of the league in  almost every QB metric for half a season behind a **** OL and it’s “we’ll see”. Give me a ****ing break. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1