Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep. New ownership need to aim higher than that. I would expect a significant move at QB. 

There just isnt one this offseason. Also if Ron is in charge I want no part of him selecting anything. 

Just play howell all year with like Brissett as the back up and tank for 2024

This is such an unmitigated disaster.  The real problem going forward is, having what amounts to a lame duck regime picking the new QB.  I feel confident in saying none of us really want this front office/coaching staff setting the future course at QB and developing said player.

How it looks is, Rivera and Co. is either gonna look for a win now vet, which is how we wound up with Wentz, or draft a guy and then get fired in a year.  Leaving the new coach with a guy they didnt draft.  Which is basically what happened with Rivera coming in and having Haskins laying around.  Which had the domino of going DE rather than QB, yada, yada, we know the story.

• Like 2

Just now, justice98 said:

This is such an unmitigated disaster.  The real problem going forward is, having what amounts to a lame duck regime picking the new QB.  I feel confident in saying none of us really want this front office/coaching staff setting the future course at QB and developing said player.

How it looks is, Rivera and Co. is either gonna look for a win now vet, which is how we wound up with Wentz, or draft a guy and then get fired in a year.  Leaving the new coach with a guy they didnt draft.  Which is basically what happened with Rivera coming in and having Haskins laying around.  Which had the domino of going DE rather than QB, yada, yada, we know the story.

Howell is basically rookie next year

10 minutes ago, MrJL said:

New ownership will likely not be in place in time for a significant move this season

Which dooms next season before this season is even over.  Barring some Geno Smith-esque dart throw that pays off.  Or a  Brock Purdy-esque longshot.

When I read through threads like these, I don't really understand what a large chunk of people actually expect. This team has been trying to paper over the QB position for decades, with basically the same result time and time again. Which is a poor one. The trade market and the free agent market are both notoriously poor. Sure, every once in a blue moon you can point to a success, but it's really rare and kind of ignores the multitude of failures. There's generally one way to get a good QB in this league and its to draft and develop one. But even then, it's a crapshoot and you almost have to acquire a bona fide first round talent to have a reasonable chance to do it. Going back 30+ years, I think this team has taken 3 legit shots at doing that: Heath Shuler, RG3, and Dwayne Haskins. Unfortunately all failed, and in Haskins case there's pretty compelling evidence he was forced on the team by the owner in the first place.

After throwing away draft picks on Wentz, is this team really going to do that again? Have Mark Brunell and Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith and Carson Wentz taught people nothing? Stop trading for these aging QBs that just bust. Hell, at least this team missed the absolute debacle that Denver has with Russell Wilson. Not for lack of trying, mind you. Washington really wanted to give Seattle all those draft picks like Denver did. It's just that Russ didn't seem to want to come here. Even Stafford, one of the few arguable successful trades, basically gave the Rams one decent season before getting injured again and potentially ending any real run the Rams had. But the Rams had already gone all in to win pre-Stafford, so I at least understand the risk. It's great the Rams did win a Super Bowl, but the margins of success were slim too. The Rams were only a 4 seed and managed to get everything to click that one offseason. Not unlike Joe Flacco and the Ravens one year. But putting all your eggs into one basket to try and win one year is likely going to disappoint 9 times out of 10. And this Washington team isn't that Rams team. The main point here is unless you're trying to acquire a long term solution, don't overspend. Trade for Matt Ryan, that went poorly. Trade of Sm Darnold. That went poorly. Stop with the trades. If you want a stop gap guy, sign the best free agent you can and look to the draft. Not every draft has that guy in it (and you may not be in a position to draft that guy anyway), but that's the only prudent strategy at this point. Keep your picks and either look to the draft, of it that guy is not there that year, try again next year. and in the interim, sign a guy for cheap that has some mobility.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Which dooms next season before this season is even over.  Barring some Geno Smith-esque dart throw that pays off.  Or a  Brock Purdy-esque longshot.

Maybe it's for the best.

Expecting a new Regime to come in and just get us on track day one isn't feasible. There will be a lot of people in house who will be doing all of this for the first time. First time owner might want to bring in a first time GM. Someone young and hungry that has innovative ideas. I'd hate to bring in more Marty types. 

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

Howell is basically rookie next year

There's also nothing really invested in him. Anythingbhe does is bonus.  My expectations are lower for him than a lot of people's it seems.  I never really bought into the "he's a steal" stuff.

Fix the O line. Change O coordinator. Add secondary and LB depth.

As far as QB I am not locked into anything. 

Depends on who is available and at what price. 

Just because we drafted quarterbacks in the first and they failed, it has nothing to do with diving into the draft again.  On the same token, just because Carson Wentz and McNabb failed doesn’t mean all veterans are alike and the next one fails too.

Howie Roseman said it well years ago, try everything until you hit. Everything on the table. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Depends on who is available and at what price. 

Just because we drafted quarterbacks in the first and they failed, it has nothing to do with diving into the draft again.  On the same token, just because Carson Wentz and McNabb failed doesn’t mean all veterans are alike and the next one fails too.

Howie Roseman said it well years ago, try everything until you hit. Everything on the table. 

There is truth in that every makes sense at the right price.

I think the inherent problem is the trade market is just over inflated and the price you have to pay is way higher than the "right" price. Seriously, can you name many (any?) good QB trades in recent history? I suspect most people would jump at Matt Stafford to the Rams, but Stafford will be 35 next season. Has a long, long list of injuries. And basically gave the Rams one good season before falling apart. Because the Rams actually managed to win the Super Bowl that season, it paid off for them. But Washington certainly shouldn't be trading a first round pick and more for one decent season of an aging QB. What's the reasonable comparison for Washington in recent trade history? And how many teams actually found a long term solution in the trade market? There's a reason teams trade QBs, and it's generally not because they are good franchise QBs. I'm still maintain to stay far, far away from the trade market unless it's Day 3 picks. 

TH is obviously not the long term answer.

But my thoughts is this.

Play Howell, and if he just looks ok.

Do the following

Cut Wentz.

Go after a tip 5 QB. Like taking Lamar Jackson. That level only. If there is any doubt that it may not work, don't. 

If you don't land that, you spend the money on OL, and depth at Linebacker and secondary.

Ride with TH and SH next year. Let them compete (although TH will get some offers and unless Rivera is fired, TH simply may not want to stay no matter what we offer).

No. I don't think that gets us to the Super Bowl. But there is no doubt that if you had done that this year, instead of going after Wentz, we are a 10 win team, playoffs, and a attractive team for a QB.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

So you're on board that Hurts is elite now and ready to pay him like that?  I see, rest of the Eagles fan base on same page as that?

My overall point in my post you said doesn't make sense is we should be shooting for an above average QB with decent ceiling versus some journey man if we want to compete with Philly or San Fran.

I want us to ar least try to win a playoff game in 2023, anything that smells like punting to the 2024 draft I'm going to raise my hand on.

Hurts is a possible MVP this year. I'd say that's definitely something the top QBs do. Yes, he will be paid like that. I don't know if he'll go after a Watson **** sandwich and if he does, doubt Howie pays that out. Probably do what he did with Wentz.

"we should find an above average vet vs a journeyman?" Tht's the same thing, unless you want to do a Russ, Watson, Staffy type trade. I don't. I want to stabilize the position. The team is good. Say for an example it's Brissett. He's mediocre and doesn't win or lose you games, but allows the team to win. If Howell or another rookie step up and we get a Mike White, Brock Purdy thing going, great. Those things don't happen whe your offense is a ****show. Our QB stage is set for failure between the line and OC.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Brisett is the definition of mediocre. HARD pass.

Who do you want?

9 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

TH is obviously not the long term answer.

But my thoughts is this.

Play Howell, and if he just looks ok.

Do the following

Cut Wentz.

Go after a tip 5 QB. Like taking Lamar Jackson. That level only. If there is any doubt that it may not work, don't. 

When you say Top 5 QB, do you mean the entire league? So go after Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Lamar Jackson? Noble strategy, but it appears none are available. Even Jackson, there seems to be a 99.9% chance he is franchised.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SMMFH.

So Rivera's once again trying to justify his own ineptness and complicity in our team's downfall by blaming it on another failed QB search--- that HE personally led!

Sounds like a repeat of a repeat, to me. And I don't watch repeats.

And quite frankly, it's more than a bit cowardly.

Leaders should man up in a crisis and accept full responsibility, even when they don't  believe it's warranted.

In my day they called that-- character.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

SMMFH.

So Rivera's once again trying to justify his own ineptness and complicity in our team's downfall by blaming it on another failed QB search--- that HE personally led!

Sounds like a repeat of a repeat, to me. And I don't watch repeats.

And quite frankly, it's more than a bit cowardly.

Leaders should man up in a crisis and accept full responsibility, even when they don't  believe it's warranted.

In my day they called that-- character.

I didn’t see it that way. Felt to me the reverse. He was asked about the coach centric model and he said the most frustrating thing is the Qb search. I took him saying that’s on him since coach centric means him. Didn’t hear him blame anyone else 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

There's also nothing really invested in him. Anythingbhe does is bonus.  My expectations are lower for him than a lot of people's it seems.  I never really bought into the "he's a steal" stuff.

Oh...he is...just wait n' see...

if Trubisky is considered below avg to avg then Howell is at least avg to abv avg...

(of course I'm a Tar Heel..so could be a lil' biased)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Okay, let's draft 21 yo Tom Brady in the 5th this year.

Actually he was selected in the sixth round. We selected Howell in the 5th. 

I still want Howell to start next year. 2023 is the last bridge for Ron. Don't want to be tied with a castoff locked up for years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

There is truth in that every makes sense at the right price.

I think the inherent problem is the trade market is just over inflated and the price you have to pay is way higher than the "right" price. Seriously, can you name many (any?) good QB trades in recent history? I suspect most people would jump at Matt Stafford to the Rams, but Stafford will be 35 next season. Has a long, long list of injuries. And basically gave the Rams one good season before falling apart. Because the Rams actually managed to win the Super Bowl that season, it paid off for them. But Washington certainly shouldn't be trading a first round pick and more for one decent season of an aging QB. What's the reasonable comparison for Washington in recent trade history? And how many teams actually found a long term solution in the trade market? There's a reason teams trade QBs, and it's generally not because they are good franchise QBs. I'm still maintain to stay far, far away from the trade market unless it's Day 3 picks. 

I look at a SB as a win for the Rams. He got hurt this year it happens. Jimmy G was a good trade. 

But it’s a debate that I am not interested that much in. But to each their own,  so all cool.

In short, I don’t buy that there are set theories as to how to acquire a player. IMO every situation is it’s own animal.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn’t see it that way. Felt to me the reverse. He was asked about the coach centric model and he said the most frustrating thing is the Qb search. I took him saying that’s on him since coach centric means him. Didn’t hear him blame anyone else 

I didn't see the press conference and I'm just going off the direct quote you posted.

If he took responsibility in some of the other things he said that's one thing, but just going off the actual quote it seems like another dodge to me.

I'll try to take a look at his entire press conference to see if my opinion changes