Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

"Something wicked this way comes." 

I like taylor but i want to see Howell if we continue to look awful on offense. And i do not want to see us let wentz go past 60 percent of snaps if we are not close to making the playoffs

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Every August, I always convince myself that we're gonna be good. Even though, if I were a fan of another team or just an nfl fan in general, I would say " no way, they suck. " This past August I convinced myself that Wentz was going to play really, really well, shock all of his haters, and help our offense ( and it's added weapons ) thrive. Granted there is plenty of season left but I look pretty dag on foolish right now.  Wentz looks like he's completely and utterly mentally fried. He looks like he has no clue what he's doing. Even on basic concepts sometimes. It's so frustrating. I think Heinicke is better mentally right now, knowing this system in and out, and mobility wise but he has massive arm deficiencies. Meanwhile, Carson has a lot more physical talents arm-wise but he's compromised mentally and currently looks slower and less athletic than Rosie O Donnell 😢 Can we somehow morph the two together? If so, we might be a pretty good qb on our hands!!!

• Like 1

I think its fair to say Wentz is physically limited in terms of his mobility. Dude has all the speed of an iceberg.

It severely changes how a pass rush attacks him. You don't need a lot of rush lane discipline and rushers know exactly where he will be at all times. That's gotta open up the blitz playbook for opposing coordinators as well as you can get even more exotic w/o the worry of holes getting exploited. That makes things even harder on the Oline.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomwvr said:

I like taylor but i want to see Howell if we continue to look awful on offense. And i do not want to see us let wentz go past 60 percent of snaps if we are not close to making the playoffs

Knowing Ron he is not going to go down without a fight. If he feels they can get to the playoffs and Wentz is not cutting it he will go with TH instead of Howell. Only way we might see Howell is if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I think its fair to say Wentz is physically limited in terms of his mobility. Dude has all the speed of an iceberg.

It severely changes how a pass rush attacks him. You don't need a lot of rush lane discipline and rushers know exactly where he will be at all times. That's gotta open up the blitz playbook for opposing coordinators as well as you can get even more exotic w/o the worry of holes getting exploited. That makes things even harder on the Oline.

Yes. It'd be pretty exciting to have a mobile guy like Fields, who can take off for 50 yards if the pass rush doesn't wrap him up. Of course you'd want someone who reads defenses and is a better passer than the current Fields.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah Wentz has the worst combination of holding on to the ball too long, slow ish release time, and lack of mobiilty/athleticism. 

• Sad 3

38 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Knowing Ron he is not going to go down without a fight. If he feels they can get to the playoffs and Wentz is not cutting it he will go with TH instead of Howell. Only way we might see Howell is if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

Well that should happen definitely by the time we face the Giants.

He seems to throw way too late in the route progression, usually after a defender has made an adjustment to help in coverage.

I doubt ANY team would want him on the roster, he is a slo-mo version in agility, and defenses don't need to worry about him running, so they can rush 3 if they want and get good results. Its really hard to watch this guy try to play like a professional QB, he's washed up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomwvr said:

I also would like to see Howell, because Taylor has the propensity to just pull out a couple wins out of his butt through sheer effort and what this team needs right now is a tank as pure as the M1 Abrams.  Not firing Turner and playing Howell should ensure that #1 pick, always the danger of firing your coaches and changing things up for the better mid way through a lost season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Have you ever seen a football player lose this much speed, agility, and quickness, while still in his 20s? It's unreal. Yea he's had injuries but who hasn't? It's mindblowing. He used to clown our defense, running around like the white Michael Vick. Now he runs around like Michael Moore.

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah Wentz has the worst combination of holding on to the ball too long, slow ish release time, and lack of mobiilty/athleticism. 

I've never seen a qb look like he was going to win the Super Bowl then suffer an injury and suddenly can't hit 100 yards passing vs a bad Bears team. Well 99 yards is atrocious vs any team. Even the best D in the NFL. Granted he had an injury to his throwing arm and then hurt his hand but that was far from his only issues out there. Very troublesome.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Guy gets killed for holding the ball too long, first read looks good, and you want him to move to the next read?

If he's not going to look at his second read, maybe don't try to throw it 150 mph behind your first read 5 yards away.  And if your second read is Terry McLaurin, who is wide open, yes, he should look that way.

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Same here.  TH would be more successful initially but he's not the long-term solution. This season appears lost to me.  They shouldn't struggle to beat the Bears!  The Titans were really banged up but still kept Washington from pulling it out. I have no doubt that Heinicke could steal a few wins because of his knowledge of the offense, tenacity, and mobility.  Not to mention what looks to be a budding running game.  But what's the point?  Even with Heinicke at QB I don't think this team gets passed 7 wins.  The team needs talent.  O-Line, Free Safety, outside DB to replace Fuller, LB(?), and the ever elusive, unicorn big-bodied receiver. 

QB should be the first priority of course!  As long as it's not someone from Ohio State!  (It's amazing how bad their QB's do in the NFL!)  I'd also put USC in that category but Caleb Williams is a transfer and has the mentality of a winner and a baller.  Very good athlete and seems to be tough.  Would he be eligible though?  Not sure.  Young is interesting but can his body type survive in the NFL?  He has everything else.  Haven't watched Will Levis from UK.  They lost to South Carolina.  Drake Maye from UNC looks interesting but probably not eligible either.  

Back to Heinicke/Howell.  I love how Heinicke fights his guts out.  But, he's just a great relief pitcher/short-term starter.  He's also super smart and will probably end up being a better OC than Scott Turner someday.  So, as soon as Howell can handle at least 70% of the playbook (you don't want him to be predictable) and can protect himself by setting protections then I think he should play.  Let's see what he has.  The rookie mistakes would take some pressure off RR and staff as well.  Let him lean heavily on the running game.  At least he's athletic enough to run boots from under center!  And he's more accurate than Wentz!  (Then again, so am I!)  Good grief Wentz reminds me so much of Mcflabb on some of what should be routine, easy pitch and catch throws!

Edited by ThomasRoane

Carson Wentz’s poor accuracy in Week 6 shows the Commanders need to consider a QB change in the future.

The first clip is a pretty damning encapsulation of Wentz’s shortcomings as a quarterback. On the play, Wentz had tunnel vision for JD McKissic, who got open on a simple curl route coming out of the backfield only for Wentz to sail the pass over his head and nearly into the arms of a hopeful Bears defender.

While McKissic was open, you’ll notice Terry McLaurin running free in the middle of the field. Somehow, Wentz didn’t spot his No. 1 receiver.

Next up is a Wentz staple: folding under pressure and taking a sack without realizing Curtis Samuel went uncovered on the play.

Wentz barely had time to drop back to pass, yes, but a legitimate quarterback would’ve felt Jaquan Brisker coming off the edge and executed a quick-release pass to Samuel, who would’ve had one man to beat for a TD assuming Dyami Brown delivered a block on his defender. You love Samuel’s odds in that situation.

This clip is another example of Wentz panicking under pressure.

Good job from Wentz to get the ball out, but he was so concerned about the oncoming rusher that he didn’t deliver an accurate pass to McKissic. If you look at the left side of the screen, Samuel was left uncovered on an out route toward the sideline, but Wentz was focused on McLaurin and McKissic on the right.

This might’ve been Wentz’s worst drive of the season. It featured a handful of misfires, culminating is this underthrown ball to McLaurin, who had a step on his defender for a potential touchdown but Wentz didn’t give him a chance.

We all know McLaurin is a beast in contested-catch situations. If that pass has more elevation and distance, you like his chances to haul it in.

We couldn’t find a clip for Wentz’s final lowlight, but it was just as egregious as the others. Remember in second half when an off-balance Wentz threw an inaccurate pass to Gibson on a designed screen? The play included a gorgeous option fake to Samuel, which drew multiple defenders. Had Wentz hit Gibson in stride, he might’ve taken it to the house. Alas, it went for a short gain.

We’re not saying Wentz is the Commanders’ biggest problem and his performance and stats (just 99 passing yards, 4.5 yards per attempt, 66.3 rating) would’ve looked a lot better had Samuel reeled in that deep ball, but these are fundamental mistakes that are costing Washington dearly.

If they keep happening, the calls for Howell will only get louder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Carson with a fractured finger.   Looks like we will get to see TH soon. 

42F9CE93-F97D-4E5F-94F9-052BD7C0E866.thumb.png.874d18d162fce610f43721830ab09ba1.png

Well it looks like Ron got his built in excuse for the season. Time to play TH for 4-6 games and then go back to wentz and eek out an additional win or 2 late in the year. 

For the love of god just play Howell for the rest of the year.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Mad respect for him to still throw with that.

Sucks on a number of levels. I was thinking having the extra time before the next game to get more practice time with the revivers, backs, TE's and O/L to get get in sync would be huge. Even if he ends up playing next week this is looking like a lost 10 days of practice.