Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Trubisky makes no sense though.  He's one of - if not the worst - deep ball throwers in the league.  Ron's been complaining a lot that he doesn't have a QB who can throw the deep ball with any accuracy.  Trubisky would be a huge letdown if they go this way, IMHO, and only add to Terry's frustration at the WR spot.  

Based on definite available FA vets the best seem to be Mitch and Mariota. The team has previously shown in both. Mariota has a smaller arm and more injury prone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony to that is according to some Zampese is part of the problem and part of the reason why they don't trust this staff to groom a young QB here.  

I think Baker Mayfield comes with more stuff than he's worth.  Just my opinion, he wouldn't be on my list.  I would actually favor Watson before Mayfield and that's saying a lot.  LOL

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notebook-browns-appear-stuck-with-baker-mayfield-for-another-year-plus-week-18-picks/

NFL insider notebook: Browns appear stuck with Baker Mayfield for another year

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Trubisky makes no sense though.  He's one of - if not the worst - deep ball throwers in the league.  Ron's been complaining a lot that he doesn't have a QB who can throw the deep ball with any accuracy.  Trubisky would be a huge letdown if they go this way, IMHO, and only add to Terry's frustration at the WR spot.  

He is light years better than TH though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Based on definite available FA vets the best seem to be Mitch and Mariota. The team has previously shown in both. Mariota has a smaller arm and more injury prone.

Piecing things together this seems to be the Plan B this year like the Fitz thing last year after they try to "swing for the fences" for a Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, Carr, etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Piecing things together this seems to be the Plan B this year like the Fitz thing last year after they try to "swing for the fences" for a Wilson, Rodgers, Watson, Carr, etc.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

My guess we strike on all the major veteran qbs. We end up with Mariota or Trubisky for a 2-3 year deal. We draft a rookie with our first round pick, if the one we want is available when we pick. If not, we punt drafting a QB for the future in 23/24 and keep both Taylor and Kyle.  If we do draft a QB, who will be a backup or his rookie year; then Taylor or Kyle will be 3rd string QB.  My guess, it will be Taylor because if the coaches really were in Love with Kyle; he would've started after our 2-6 start. 

Now, Marcus and Mitch would be reluctant but you tell them, while we are probably drafting a qb; they will be given ever opportunity to be the starter for 22 and if they have a good 22 season, they could parlay that to a job somewhere if not here.

We aren't getting Wilson, Watson or Rodgers. Despite all the talk about Carr, if he gets traded; it won't be us. I think the Raiders, if they move on from Carr; will be a strong candidate for Rodgers or Wilson and they would trade Carr to the team th at thery acquire Aaron or Russ from.

I like this idea if we can't get a top player.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

This fully makes sense unless they get a trade offer for TH. If that occurs they bring back Allen.

My one concern is with a Trubisky type and TH, would they look to a later round for drafting a QB. I would like to see them still go with first rounder they feel good about

The way he talked it up, i don't get the vibe that Trubisky was the main dance.  Felt like he was implying he's the backup idea to the draft pick.

I haven't sat down and watched Trubisky where I've studied him.  I'll get to it though.  But from watching him causally over the years, I am not jazzed about him.  I recall happy feet, inconsisteny accuracy.   I am more jazzed about Mariota but I don't see him as the answer either. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The way he talked it up, i don't get the vibe that Trubisky was the main dance.  Felt like he was implying he's the backup idea to the draft pick.

I haven't sat down and watched Trubisky where I've studied him.  I'll get to it though.  But from watching him causally over the years, I am not jazzed about him.  I recall happy feet, inconsisteny accuracy.   I am more jazzed about Mariota but I don't see him as the answer either. 

Neither are perfect, if they were they would have started this year. It is hard to see either Mariota or Trubisky signing in a place where they don't believe they have a shot at starting. I expect they would be told they want to go after a draft pick that eventually would compete with them.  

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I think Baker Mayfield comes with more stuff than he's worth.  Just my opinion, he wouldn't be on my list.  I would actually favor Watson before Mayfield and that's saying a lot.  LOL

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notebook-browns-appear-stuck-with-baker-mayfield-for-another-year-plus-week-18-picks/

NFL insider notebook: Browns appear stuck with Baker Mayfield for another year

Watson (and Wilson) are not options though as they have no trade clauses.  

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Watson (and Wilson) are not options though as they have no trade clauses.  

I would ignore any no trade clauses for these two and be contacted their agents every few days reminding them of the teams interest and commitment

They are the Stafford of 2022 only way better

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I would ignore any no trade clauses for these two and be contacted their agents every few days reminding them of the teams interest and commitment

They are the Stafford of 2022 only way better

And the players have control in where they go.  Neither have Washington as a destination.  And the team has done nothing to make them a better destination.

Yeah I'm clearly beating a dead horse here, but I'll say it again: we need to stop with these fantasies of Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers coming to WFT. They're not coming here. The sooner we wean ourselves off of those pipe dreams the better.

Edited by mistertim

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I'm clearly beating a dead horse here, but I'll say it again: we need to stop with these fantasies of Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers coming to WFT. They're not coming here. The sooner we wean ourselves off of those pipe dreams the better.

Neither is Carr. 

23 minutes ago, zskins said:

Neither is Carr. 

Agreed. I think it's extremely unlikely that LV will deal Carr this offseason. The only way I could see it is if it was part of a larger trade for Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers. I could see something like two 1sts + Carr for one of those guys.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

And the players have control in where they go.  Neither have Washington as a destination.  And the team has done nothing to make them a better destination.

Totally agree, and pipedream, yeah probably. It however hurts nothing to let the agents know you are interested anyways. Both or them are worth trying to trade for. I don't see Carr as worth the asking price.

Barring a miracle type trade drafting high is the best answer.

Still need another QB that gives you a better option than Allen and TH

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Agreed. I think it's extremely unlikely that LV will deal Carr this offseason. The only way I could see it is if it was part of a larger trade for Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers. I could see something like two 1sts + Carr for one of those guys.

I think Wilson might be a play here but then again Wilson might go to the Saints instead. Rodgers has calmed down and will likely stay with the Packers. Watson's case is still up in the air so depends on how that plays out first. 

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Neither are perfect, if they were they would have started this year. It is hard to see either Mariota or Trubisky signing in a place where they don't believe they have a shot at starting. I expect they would be told they want to go after a draft pick that eventually would compete with them.  

Didn't say they wouldn't have a shot.  If they draft a rookie why wouldn't Trubisky have a shot?  Trubisky just went through FA last year, and signed for a bag of peanuts to be a backup.   I don't think having a decent preseason game is changing his stock that much in the open market.  In other words, considering he wasn't hot in demand last year, doubt he's going to have a ton of leverage this time.

Said differently, I seriously doubt Rivera would think Trubisky is their best shot at a franchise QB.  He'd more likely think its whomever they draft. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't say they wouldn't have a shot.  If they draft a rookie why wouldn't Trubisky have a shot?  Trubisky just went through FA last year, and signed for a bag of peanuts to be a backup.   I don't think having a decent preseason game is changing his stock that much in the open market.  In other words, considering he wasn't hot in demand last year, doubt he's going to have a ton of leverage this time.

Said differently, I seriously doubt Rivera would think Trubisky is their best shot at a franchise QB.  He'd more likely think its whomever they draft. 

I see it they need to let him think he has a shot at starting with intent on the rookie eventually taking over.

I want a rookie to be the future

We talked about decision making, obviously. I think accuracy, you gotta be an accurate passer. There’s degrees of that. You know what I mean? But the ball’s gotta go where you want it to go. I think those two things really go hand in hand. There’s like a list of attributes. Depending on the guy, it’s like what’s more important than the other? If a guy doesn’t move as well, that’s tough. It makes it tough to play. Well, he better have a really quick release and a strong arm. Those decisions better happen fast, and the ball’s gotta come out. Maybe his arm isn’t quite as strong, then the athleticism better be up there. His athleticism, his ability to move, to get outta the pocket. I think, ultimately, and we talked about this before, the most successful quarterbacks in this league over time are guys that are gonna beat you throwing the ball. You got guys like [Packers QB] Aaron Rodgers who has an unbelievable arm or like [Chiefs QB] Patrick Mahomes, unbelievable arm. They’ve got a lot of really good athleticism too, so they can extend plays.

Outside of accuracy and decision-making, Turner mentioned the need for athleticism and arm strength. While having a big-time arm doesn’t guarantee success, it doesn’t hurt. But in this day and age, mobility is more important than ever. As Turner said, you don’t necessarily need someone who can run like Lamar Jackson, but the quarterback must be able to move well. If he can’t move well, then he better have a quick release and a strong arm.

• Thanks 3

Thank god. At least it sounds like Turner is not interested in having a running QB. His main thing is the ability of a QB to beat you with their arm. The athleticism to move and extend plays is a huge bonus and important, but it's secondary.

I wonder if that moves Willis out of their line of sight. Or maybe they think he can change from a running QB to a pass first QB in the NFL?