Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

If you ever see predictions that low, you already know its a prediction that hedges against him playing 17 games, kinda like Vegas over/under odds.

Nobody plays 17 and only has 2.1 K

I know I know...but they had the team competing for the playoffs, which also implies QB stability. They should state it, it would help explain why they think he was last in their rankings if they're calling for him to get benched halfway through.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love your optimism, but that boy trusts his arm and mistakes don't faze him. A lot of picks are coming. From the defense, too finally. So exciting!

Scary Terry says "shut your mouth young man...50/50 is all I need!" :D

But in reality he has good accuracy and now spending more time with Terry means timing and accuracy will be there. So maybe 30TDs and 12 INTs. :)

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

If you ever see predictions that low, you already know its a prediction that hedges against him playing 17 games, kinda like Vegas over/under odds.

Nobody plays 17 and only has 2.1 K

The writer got tired when he came to 32 and just threw up some lazy numbers that don't even make any sense. I laughed when I saw that too. 

Chris Russell, a radio host for The Team 980, wanted his listeners to know what he saw from Sam Howell today at OTAs.

“Sam Howell is going to be good at times. He is going to be really good at times.”

“I’ve seen a lot of quarterbacks come and go over the years. I’ve been around this team for 14 years now. I’ve seen a lot of crappy quarterbacks come and go. He ain’t one of those guys.”

Russell continued that even great quarterbacks have times when they struggle with accuracy or mechanics and timing. He then said Sam Howell is not one of those guys either.

“But there are going to be times, probably a bunch of times, when you want to pull your hair out because Sam Howell is not going to connect on something that he probably should.”

Russell reminded Howell’s fans that Howell has a grand total of one NFL game of experience. Further, Howell is learning from different coaches, (QB, OC), learning a different language, learning a different system.

“Sam Howell is going to be late, behind, inaccurate. He is not going to see something. I saw it today, as he was maddeningly inconsistent. He was all over the place. He should have gotten picked about six times.”

“Sam Howell was brutal at times today. When you watched him today, at times you said, ‘OMG, does he suck!’ Awful, inaccurate, late, choppy footwork, hesitation, not good ball location, not on target.”

Russell further elaborated that there were times plays seemed disjointed, nothing was open, Howell was having to scramble to his right, scramble to his left, Brian Robinson missed a block, etc.

“The one thing I do want to point out right now before I go any further. When Sam Howell struggles, you can see it. He is struggling, man. He is on the struggle bus. But when Sam Howell rips it, when Sam Howell sees it, and when Sam Howell knows it, it’s beautiful.”

“If he can do these types of plays five or six times in a game, you are going to say, ‘OMG, finally we have something to hang our hat on at quarterback’.”

“That was my big-picture takeaway from my hour or so today in Command Land.”

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

It took decades for the NFL to have advanced stats lagging other major sports inexplicably despite there only a handful of games and actual play time. Hell we didn't even have websites tracking salary caps until a few years ago. I presume advanced stats were kept exclusively by Vegas's "Gamblingo family" and they finally couldn't horde that simple data for themselves any more.

The game is ALL about the QB so lets focus there. I want to see smart throwaways rewarded or tracked not blindly tagged with an incomplete. A dump off to a RB who he ends up going 90 for a TD... lets have more focus on air yards if the QB didnt create the RAC. Clearly INTs need to be broken down and not always held against a QB.  One part hard to track is a kid like Sam doing what EB wants shouldnt count against him as much e.g. EB doesn't care about INT risks. JUST FIRE THE BALL, and don't be a stat fame and future salary panicked like Cousins who was even afraid to have an INT logged on a hail mary (per Jay in practice too). Buying time in the pocket should be tracked. Success at selling play action. Lets log universally thought of great QB plays on the stat sheet - a simple count/snap.  I used to love the Fox Under Pressure stat which vanished a decade+ ago. Yes I want to know how many times a QB got hit a helmet on the chin but not sacked dammit. And especially want to know if he threw a TD right afterwards. Who is willing to take hits to make the plays like most all QBs in yesteryear.

It was cool that Prime games showed speed and timing of skill players but in game we dont get much info including none on tendencies in the DB backfield.

Is Dan Fouts deserving of his spot in the football Hall of Fame? Why or why  not? - Quora

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I've been so through so many false hopes of ups & downs when it comes to reports on players during OTA's & Training camps that at this point, other than injuries and the curiosity of who will be fighting for a roster spot when cuts start happening, I make it a point to try and spare myself reading too much into these things.  Of course Howell's situation is a little more unique since he is a young QB taking over the starting role (most likely) and has little to no NFL experience so the question marks coupled with his natural athletic ability tends to make me want to cling onto anything positive or negative I hear, but in reality, what matters is what the young man is doing beginning with Week 1 of the regular season.  

https://walterfootball.com/ws2022showell.php

This series was created in response to questions about why certain well-known prospects went unselected in NFL drafts. For these articles, I reach out to sources with NFL teams to find out why their organizations passed on drafting a given player, and/or, what were the reasons for other teams to pass on that prospect. The positive response to "Why Undrafted" and questions from readers about why prospects were drafted lower than the media expectations led us to create the parallel series "Why the Slide?"

Entering the 2022 NFL Draft process, North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell was a projected first-round pick. Howell put together prolific freshman and sophomore seasons that earned him lofty projections heading into the 2021 season. Howell did not play as well as a junior, however, but he also had a lot less talent around him. Despite the hype, most analysts had Howell projected to the second day of the 2022 NFL Draft, but it was still a surprise to many when he slipped well into the final day of the 2022 NFL Draft before being selected.

Sources around the league told WalterFootball.com that many teams across the league had backup grades on Howell. Those grades led to him being viewed as a potential mid-rounder, at best. Here is the comment from one director of college scouting, "The quarterback class just wasn't that good. Not sure he slid as far as is being perceived." Hence, NFL teams thought Howell might go in the third or fourth round, so his selection high in the fifth round was not a huge slide.

The Washington Commanders ended Howell's slide with pick No. 144, the first selection of the fifth round. The Commies are a great team for Howell to land with because they lack an established long-term starter. They traded for Carson Wentz, but he has struggled in recent years with the Eagles and Colts. This is probably his last chance to establish himself as a starting quarterback in the NFL. Washington backup Taylor Heinicke looks like the No. 2 quarterback, and Howell should be safe to make the team's roster as the third quarterback.

If Wentz and Heinicke continue to be mediocre, Howell could have the opportunity to beat them out for the starting job. While Howell slid in the 2022 NFL Draft, he landed with a team that has a clear opening for a long-term starter and he will have a legit shot to earn that spot. Thus, his slide to the fifth round could end up being a blessing in disguise compared to going earlier in the 2022 NFL Draft and being stuck as a backup on a team like the Chiefs, Bills, Cardinals, Bengals or Browns.

• Like 1

The odds aren’t great for Day 3 quarterbacks to become successful in the NFL, and Washington fans should temper their expectations for Howell. For every Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins, there are dozens of guys who never see the field. The talent is definitely there, but as with most young guys under center, it’s about working on the mental side of the game and mastering those subtle details that elevate the talented quarterbacks into successful NFL players.

The Commanders are in a unique position. Head coach Ron Rivera and the front office have constructed a relatively respectable roster. Their defense has consistently been among the best in the NFL. They have a good group of offensive weapons. They just hired a highly respected offensive coordinator in Eric Bienemy. Add to that the potential change in ownership and Rivera possibly being on the hot seat, and you have your answer as to why Sam Howell could be the guy in 2023.

He’s the Hail Mary shot that could elevate this team into not only contending for the playoffs but making some noise in a rather weak NFC. But behind that Hail Mary is a veteran backup in Brissett who has shown that he can be the safe, effective quarterback capable of allowing a team to stay in the playoff hunt.

So, how big of a leash does Howell get? The Commanders should be able to tell early on if they can trust him to efficiently operate this offense. And if he can’t, in comes Brissett. While Howell’s ceiling is enticing, his floor is an all too familiar position for Washington fans. If you can’t find the answer at quarterback, it makes winning football games and fighting for the playoffs that much harder. If Howell can tap into his potential that saw people wanting to draft him in the top 10 years ago, the sky could be the limit for a Washington team that has been “a quarterback away” during the entire Rivera tenure.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 9:48 AM, HigSkin said:

His personality is a tough guess.  I've heard mixed things about it but overall I think its good.  

The good part is that he's a good dude, nice guy and works hard. 

The pause I hear is he's not a natural leader in the locker room (even though he likes to say he is over and over again which as I've stated before comes off a bit odd -- a natural leader doesn't say to death they are a leader).  A bit shy and quiet.   I recall one scout talked about one of the Qb prospects in this draft and was quoted this dude is quiet but not like Howell level quiet.

His own QB coach recently did a podcast where he more or less said Howell has a reputation of being a bit awkward socially (or something like that)  but he believes that's because he's not a social dude and that's because he's all about football 24-7.

My guess based on all I've read-heard is that he's more of a nerdy-introverted type.  But is a nice guy and teammates like him.  He works hard and they respect him for that and for his toughness.  So overall, I think his personality is fine.  He's just not a Joe Theismann extrovert leader type -- he comes off more in the Mark Rypien mode on that front, and i think that's OK. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His personality is a tough guess.  I've heard mixed things about it but overall I think its good.  

The good part is that he's a good dude, nice guy and works hard. 

The pause I hear is he's not a natural leader in the locker room (even though he likes to say he is over and over again which as I've stated before comes off a bit odd -- a natural leader doesn't say to death they are a leader).  A bit shy and quiet.   I recall one scout talked about one of the Qb prospects in this draft and was quoted this dude is quiet but not like Howell level quiet.

His own QB coach recently did a podcast where he more or less said Howell has a reputation of being a bit awkward socially (or something like that)  but he believes that's because he's not a social dude and that's because he's all about football 24-7.

My guess based on all I've read-heard is that he's more of a nerdy-introverted type.  But is a nice guy and teammates like him.  He works hard and they respect him for that and for his toughness.  So overall, I think his personality is fine.  He's just not a Joe Theismann extrovert leader type -- he comes off more in the Mark Rypien mode on that front, and i think that's OK. 

And with those shy mousy types you're sometimes afraid that their personality is going to make them a little timid on the football field and that is certainly not the case with Howell. 

Not only is he not afraid to let it rip he'll lower his shoulder into anybody. 

• Like 4

I think Howell will rack up yards and possibly some TDs, but also throw a lot more picks. Basically be kinda like what Wentz was supposed to be last year except with more mobility and the advantage of youth, upside, and a dirt cheap contract.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Howell will rack up yards and possibly some TDs, but also throw a lot more picks. Basically be kinda like what Wentz was supposed to be last year except with more mobility and the advantage of youth, upside, and a dirt cheap contract.

Howell is pretty accurate though. He was at least in college so I don't see him being less accurate at the pro level. 

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career North Carolina         713 1117 63.8 10283 9.2 9.9 92 23 164.2
*2019 North Carolina ACC FR QB 13 259 422 61.4 3641 8.6 9.7 38 7 160.2
*2020 North Carolina ACC SO QB 12 237 348 68.1 3586 10.3 11.1 30 7 179.1
*2021 North Carolina ACC JR QB 12 217 347 62.5 3056 8.8 9.0 24 9 154.2

2 hours ago, zCommander said:

Howell is pretty accurate though. He was at least in college so I don't see him being less accurate at the pro level. 

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career North Carolina         713 1117 63.8 10283 9.2 9.9 92 23 164.2
*2019 North Carolina ACC FR QB 13 259 422 61.4 3641 8.6 9.7 38 7 160.2
*2020 North Carolina ACC SO QB 12 237 348 68.1 3586 10.3 11.1 30 7 179.1
*2021 North Carolina ACC JR QB 12 217 347 62.5 3056 8.8 9.0 24 9 154.2

Throwing interceptions can be due to poor accuracy, but just as easily it can be due to poor decision making. Anyone betting Howell will throw a bunch of interceptions is probably doing so bc they think he’ll be overly aggressive, and/or struggle seeing and throwing over the middle of the field like he’s doing now in camp. I don’t think people assume he’ll be inaccurate, in general. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Conn said:

Throwing interceptions can be due to poor accuracy, but just as easily it can be due to poor decision making. Anyone betting Howell will throw a bunch of interceptions is probably doing so bc they think he’ll be overly aggressive, and/or struggle seeing and throwing over the middle of the field like he’s doing now in camp. I don’t think people assume he’ll be inaccurate, in general. 

Understood, but I don't remember him being overly aggressive in the Dallas game. You don't have to be real tall to make plays in the middle. A mobile QB has the ability to make his own lanes. I like to see that. Also, I am not worried about camp. In camp you are learning and making mistakes. This year he is working with Terry more and others as well and sure it is possible with new OC and play calling it will be different. Right now I am not going to just say he is going to just throw whole bunch of INTs. The struggle has to be real and if that happens then we all know he won't be starting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zCommander said:

Understood, but I don't remember him being overly aggressive in the Dallas game. You don't have to be real tall to make plays in the middle. A mobile QB has the ability to make his own lanes. I like to see that. Also, I am not worried about camp. In camp you are learning and making mistakes. This year he is working with Terry more and others as well and sure it is possible with new OC and play calling it will be different. Right now I am not going to just say he is going to just throw whole bunch of INTs. The struggle has to be real and if that happens then we all know he won't be starting. 

I don't think he had to be aggressive in that game the way Dallas was playing.  I think it's the one nagging thing I have with him, that his first start and win which should feel really good actually wasn't really much about him.  His eyes weren't really tested and I didn't come out of the game with a feel one way or the other whether he saw the field at the level we need a QB to see it or not.  Everything else was good, the downfield throws, the moment obviously not being too big for him, etc.  But, questions remain just because Dallas never presented them.

However I'm not worried middle of the field troubles in OTA's, man needs reps and he'll have plenty opportunity to get where he needs to be.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 1

Ron and Scott didn't even want to start Howell in that game, but their starter refused to play, so they kid gloved the **** outta him for the Dallas game.

57.9% 1TD 1Int 169 yards

It was a good game and we won and he was exciting, but let's not use that win to make him sound dominating. 

I think he's going to throw a lot of picks. With confidence. Not because of accuracy. He's brave and bold and trusts his monster arm to make any throw.

He wasn't crushing the leagues best in college, so NFL defenses are going to pick on him a lot this year. Especially with the pass rush that they'll easily bring.

I think he'll have the ability to stay cool and not get rattled no matter what happens and he'll improve.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a good game and we won and he was exciting, but let's not use that win to make him sound dominating. 

You're not wrong...

But dude, it was Dallas.  That's like a double win 😆

• Like 1

Howell doesn’t have the luxury or leash to throw interceptions. 

What I love when watching elite offenses operate is the willingness to consistently take home run shots/go for the big play while providing layups throughout the game. My hope is Howell doesn’t feel the need to force the big play knowing another big shot play will be taken soon.

Layups (screens, run extension plays, QB runs, short passing) and three pointers (intermediate and deep throws). Welcome to modern day offense. 

ChatGpt version :) 

Well, I gotta say, when I see those top-notch offenses in action, what really impresses me is their guts to go for those big plays while still keeping the easy ones in their playbook. I really hope Howell doesn't feel the pressure to always go for the homerun, 'cause you know what? There's always gonna be another opportunity for a big shot down the line.

Think about it like this: we've got the layups covered (you know, screens, run extensions, QB runs, short passes) and those three-pointers (intermediate and deep throws) to seal the deal. Welcome to the world of modern-day offense, my friend.

Edited by wit33
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Howell doesn’t have the luxury or leash to throw interceptions. 

What I love when watching elite offenses operate is the willingness to consistently take home run shots/go for the big play while providing layups throughout the game. My hope is Howell doesn’t feel the need to force the big play knowing another big shot play will be taken soon.

Layups (screens, run extension plays, QB runs, short passing) and three pointers (intermediate and deep throws). Welcome to modern day offense. 

ChatGpt version :) 

Well, I gotta say, when I see those top-notch offenses in action, what really impresses me is their guts to go for those big plays while still keeping the easy ones in their playbook. I really hope Howell doesn't feel the pressure to always go for the homerun, 'cause you know what? There's always gonna be another opportunity for a big shot down the line.

Think about it like this: we've got the layups covered (you know, screens, run extensions, QB runs, short passes) and those three-pointers (intermediate and deep throws) to seal the deal. Welcome to the world of modern-day offense, my friend.

Shes A Witch GIFs | Tenor

lol what I’m getting from this experiment is that ChatGPT would be a below replacement level poster here, very generic insights phrased in a slightly off-putting way, but without the charm of the human element. 

I love it. Let’s create a bot pulling from ChatGPT and call it Cooleyfan93v2.0 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Conn said:

Does Howell have some Brett Favre gunslinger in him? He has the arm, will he be an aggressive passer like Favre? I'm starting to think he might.

I'd rather have a gunslinger who throws picks here and there than checking down or taking sacks.  Especially on 3rd down.  At least give the receiver a chance.  That's probably the biggest difference between Howell and Brissett.  Brissett will play a conservative game but we will only score 17 points.  Howell will chuck it.  There will be games where he throws 3 picks and still puts up 30 points.