Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

"No damage control! No damage control! That's not damage control! No wai!! It's all about publicity! All publicity is good publicity! No damage control! You're nuts if you think they're doing damage control! NO DAMAGE CONTROL TO SEE HERE!"

This is clearly damage control and I know you see the difference between this and other tweets I ain’t THAT dumb. Am I? 

Edited by Llevron

Jayden has a lot to offer. But one of the things that makes me prefer Maye that doesn't really get talked about at all is arm creativity. There are a lot of plays where Maye's OL would break down or receivers are blanketed and he extends the play and finds a way to get a pass off. He finds a guy breaking open down the middle that Jayden doesn't find. With Maye, sometimes he runs, sometimes he makes an off-platform throw back against his body, hell sometimes he throws left-handed. He seems he'll bent on getting the ball downfield. It's a dagger-in-the-heart mentality in a guy that is really pretty young to football. That's rare.

Daniels, for all his impeccable mechanics and good short accuracy, to me doesn't display that mentality, that imagination and creativity. He runs. That's it. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty good backup plan, he is lighting fast and runs north-south, not around in circles like Caleb. But there's no thinking on his feet to get a surprise-everybody pass off last second. He also just doesn't have the arm talent for some of the same throws. If his legs get taken away, there's not much there.

Maye's inaccuracy and inconsistency does concern me, but this "I'm gonna rip the defense's heart out" aggressiveness does make up for a lot for me.

Unfortunately for me I don't think KK sees it that way and I think they draft Daniels. Love the way Kevin O'Connell talked about it in the church bit....you have to think about what's innate in the player vs what is coachable. Wish we had an OC like that.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Like 5

JD is making a mess of this at the last minute.  Not sure if I’d want that out of the most important pick the team has made in the last 30 years.  Doesn’t seem to want to be here, and the last thing I would want is another Cousins scenario, where he can’t wait to get out of here in 4 to 5 years.

• Like 3

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I think once again yall are overthinking and looking too much and reading too much into these tweets. 

The kid himself has said and done literally nothing that’s the funny part. People are gonna hate him because of a bunch of **** other people have said about him. Reading into EVERY word on Twitter has never worked for anything 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mac8887 said:

He doesn’t like my dude JJ McCarthy, he’s mad that JJ took down his beloved Ohio State. Logan set him straight though

Eh. I’m not sure I believe all that. He was very complimentary of JJ on Bram’s show and even threw a dart at OSU for passing over him.  Apparently that was JJ’s first choice and the Buckeyes chose the other guy. 

Lotta grasping at straws going on 'round here.

giphy.gif.4067e63d12ff55f02fe6b3491978c580.gif

anything and everything at this point.

Whatever floats ya boat, I guess.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I don’t think there is a good comp for him coming out. I don’t think we have ever seen an above average passer with great mechanics, great processing speed and great ball placement / timing AND elite running capability coming out of the draft like this.

Yup. Usually the high end dual threat prospect that comes out is pretty much all athlete and a mess on the passing side without the developed mechanics or fundamental skills/reading ability, or they lack any kind of production entirely and are just good bodies. (see Ant Rich) Dude is kinda a unicorn.

Its very hard to find a good comp.

Its why I settled on sport package Hurts. Better performance model, better transmission/mechanics, better wheels and a whole lotta weight removed via carbon fiber. Basically the Shelby Cobra to Hurts Mustang.

• Like 5

I would love to see/know exactly how the visit went though. It could be that Daniels felt uncomfortable since he’s naturally an introvert and struggled with the golf and felt bad/disappointed that he didnt present himself the best and perhaps that permeated into the actual meetings. 

• Like 1

I know we have previously called these guys idiots but they also like Maye ALOT. Making all the comparisons y’all have made (which makes the idiot thing kinda funny) about John Allen. They like him better at reading defenses pre snap too, it sounds. They never say it but it sounds like they are a step away. They like everything we like about him. And they don’t call him a project. 

44 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah he's "prepared to go to Washington".

As if his parents married him off to a rich royal family in Pakistan and he has now finally accepted his fate.

I don’t think Pakistan has rich royal families. Maybe use Saudi Arabia?

But apart from that the analogy holds.

• Thanks 1

I’m going to say I don’t think anything the agent tweeted, retweeted, or commented on is going to have any bearing whatsoever on what the Commanders do.

What WILL have bearing on what they do is how Daniels fit in with the players during the visit and how well he did in the 1:1 interviews.

If you want to extrapolate the agents ire is because he didn’t do well in those situations, fine.  Schefter had something to that effect.

But we don’t actually know.  Peters knows.  

I have been on the Maye train since the beginning.  I still think that’s likely but Daniels wouldn’t remotely surprise me.  

To me, nothing has really changed.  

• Like 4

My prediction is that the agency who reps Daniels will end up dissolving and reforming/rebranding some time in the near future after they do a nice little "what did we learn" session.

Like comedy of PR errors over here, and they're all self inflicted in situations where you have no pressure to make a mistake.  You're tweeting for ****s sake, you can just spend an extra minute to clean up the tweet and not hit post.

First his agent liking tweets and emojis, now this "prepared to play for" thing.  Like come on use "ecstatic to bring his skills to the NFL, and wants to build a bright future with every team he has the honor of playing for."  Bam.  Lookit that.  Easy.

• Like 1

Stepped away from this thread for a few days and I'm questioning why I stepped back in lol.

This whole thread from beginning to end is just a case study in self-generated attitude change and self-serving biases. In true extremeskins fashion, each camp's attitudes have become more extreme the longer this has gone on. Now, we are discounting some of the media heads that earlier on were "the only resonable ones to listen to (e.g., Keim) or potentially supporting others that have been knuckleheads in the past (e.g., Gruden) just because it supports a viewpoint or agenda. 

To be clear, I'm in the take Maye or JD camp and I will support whomever we choose and also can't wait till Thursday night. I don't watch enough college football or have enough time to pour over tape. I like the little bit of JD's tape a little more than Maye's for a few reasons. But, when projecting for a career QB, Maye has the potential to have that 15+ year career (ala Brady, Rodgers etc. over JD whom I feel could have a few of good/great years and potentially fade much earlier.. But who actually knows?

I would like to add that, reading these posts, those that feel that this discussion is equal and spirited in both directions may be serving their own biases. From a neutral (or as neutral as one can be) perspective, this thread is heavily pro Maye and the Daniels supporters aren't given nearly as much lattitude in their posts and opinions. Like you all are working at the Post ;) jk

Just my nearly worthless two pennies. Please carry on with your poor old dead horses and see you all Thursday night as the board melts down for about a week and then everyone begins convincing themselves it was the right pick to relieve that icky cognitive dissonance-like feeling, HTTR!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

😛😁

Pete and repeat were making posts and....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/04/18/commanders-topgolf-qb-prospects/

..Screenshot_20240420_090111_Chrome.jpg.6705e07cd68a01274de79e7974732a9d.jpg

Why no WRs???

I thought we were looking for a receiver with some size?

Maybe Kingsbury is comfortable with the guys we have or maybe they don't want to tip the guys they're interested in to other teams.

Or maybe they are visiting the receivers they like at their schools, this week.

Either way on the surface it's puzzling, but underneath I know they are playing chess so they must have a hood reason for it.

31 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

"I've reached out to his (Daniels) agency. I'm told there could be a statement at some point, but there's nothing yet."

Rather ominous sounding communication, but essentially they're powerless.

Are they threatening to ask the Commanders not to pick Daniels or are they considering making a statement saying this is just a nothing burger?

Who knows, and as Rhett Butler would say and as I believe our front office is thinking: Quite frankly, my dear I just don't give a damn.

Rather late in the day for empty PR statements. That should have been done no later than the first thing Thursday morning. This has been brewing unattended too long for self serving statements to have meaning.

The damage has been done.

Statements no longer matter. We hold all the cards whether Daniels and/or his agent  loved or hated our group interview format.

Similarly, whether Jayden's team wants him  to play here or in Timbuktu means absolutely nothing.

Any statement he puts out at this point, even if it's that he wants to be traded will have zero effect on what we ultimately do.

The Commanders will make a pure business decision, one that is in their best interests.

They will select the qb that they want, on their terms, and in their time frame, be it Maye, McCarthy, Penix or even if they decide to pick the poorly represented undersized, uber talented, qb with egg all over his face--- courtesy of the immature, unprofessional, twitter outbreak Wednesday night, of his naive, overly emotional, passive-aggressive agent.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

I will say this: I think Schefter's comments and the timing of his comments are interesting.

My theory is that Daniels's agent has been feeding Schefter(and perhaps other reporters) all offseason that his client is gonna go #2. Schefter reports this, since nobody else is leaking anything. It generates buzz and views, and ultimately that's Schefter's job now as much as it is to report news.

The group meeting goes poorly. Or at least, Daniels thinks it went poorly, for one reason or another. Either he was disappointed he didn't get the red carpet treatment, or he feels like he wasn't able to show his best self because that environment isn't conducive to his personality, whatever. Either way, Daniels lets his agent know "Man, that kinda sucked." 

The agent interprets that as "My client is no longer going #2." And reports as much to Schefter. Who then backtracks his original comments.

They then keep their dinner meeting with the Vikings for Thursday night(day after our meeting). After all, if it went really well, they would probably just cancel the meeting, since throughout this process they haven't really bothered with teams they figured weren't in range of a top 3 pick.

• Like 4

None of this is new. If people don’t want to like a guy they are going to read into whatever they have to to justify that feeling. And then be loud about it. Hard to argue that isn’t human nature. 

Daniels is not the first guy this has happened to and he won’t be the last. He will have to deal with it. 

49 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t think Pakistan has rich royal families. Maybe use Saudi Arabia?

But apart from that the analogy holds.

Not at the national level but there are rich "royal" families there. 

JD would be lucky to go to Saudi though so the Pakistan destination made it funnier for me. 😂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say this: I think Schefter's comments and the timing of his comments are interesting.

My theory is that Daniels's agent has been feeding Schefter(and perhaps other reporters) all offseason that his client is gonna go #2. Schefter reports this, since nobody else is leaking anything. It generates buzz and views, and ultimately that's Schefter's job now as much as it is to report news.

The group meeting goes poorly. Or at least, Daniels thinks it went poorly, for one reason or another. Either he was disappointed he didn't get the red carpet treatment, or he feels like he wasn't able to show his best self because that environment isn't conducive to his personality, whatever. Either way, Daniels lets his agent know "Man, that kinda sucked." 

The agent interprets that as "My client is no longer going #2." And reports as much to Schefter. Who then backtracks his original comments.

They then keep their dinner meeting with the Vikings for Thursday night(day after our meeting). After all, if it went really well, they would probably just cancel the meeting, since throughout this process they haven't really bothered with teams they figured weren't in range of a top 3 pick.

Some might think this is tin foil hat theory. 

I would say this is a 90% chance of what happened.

I think Daniels’ agent has done a phenomenal job getting the message out he’s the de facto #2 pick and was hoping the commanders would just ride the wave.

And in the past they would have.

But this group just does the process.  And didn’t flinch.

And in the game of chicken, the agent flinched.

Bram, who was the leader of the Daniels fan club has come around to 50/50 and both are outstanding prospects. Keim, JP and Standig still solidly have heart eyes for Daniels.  Standig said “that’s what I would do” on his last podcast.  

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.  We’ll see how it goes.

I think it’s been closer this whole time than the reporting.  

• Like 2