Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The problem with the linebacking unit is they lack the one blue chipper that changes the entire squad. I remember when the Packers drafted AJ Hawk and he was close to being labeled a bust, until Clay Matthews was drafted, and he was so good he transformed the play of everyone around him.  That is what the defense needs.   Chase Young potentially can/will be that for the D-line.  Jamin Davis, I still think is worth continuing to develop, but what they need is either a can't miss drafted stud or to bring in a veteran still in their prime that transforms the unit.  Most team don't have great or even very good players at every single position, that expectation is not realistic, however each individual group on the field should have 1 player that stands out.

I wish we could have picked Micah Parsons instead....he was worth the trade up.  

10 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Sorry if this stat has been posted, but the Lions gained 227 yards on 6 plays, and 198 in the other 55 they ran. How is that real life? 

Surprised how this isn’t a direct quote from Ron at this point. 

Edited by wit33

Parsons almost reminds me of a pass rushing version of Jeremiah Trotter on the Eagles back on the day.  He was basically there to play downhill and rush the line every play, to shoot the gap at the running back, an occasionally take out the QB. The way Dallas uses Parsons is to attack the QB on almost every single passing down.  You can't do that though unless enough of the rest of the defense is covering their assignments, otherwise, the QB would simply look for the outlet pass every time.  Parsons is a very valuable piece to a defense, but you still need other pieces to allow Parsons to do what he's doing.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, Redwards said:

Even with a thrashing, Ron won't let him go.  Look how long it took him to fire Mills.  Ron has been behind the 8 ball since he's been here.  Nothin's changed on that front. 

Maybe, but Ron did fine JDR $100 grand this summer and the defense has looked putrid since day one this season, including preseason. Add it all up and maybe RR pulls the trigger and brings in someone else??? Maybe we offer Warren Sapp and Ryan Kerrigan promotions???

Just kidding. 

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

The way Ron and Co attacked the LB position is one of the most perplexing Roster decisions I have seen in a long time. Everyone and their mother saw LB as an issue. Regardless of their view on the position of LB in modern football (which they are wrong about) I dont know how you dont throw any assets at it. There was 3-4 LB options staring them in the face with their second pick to just take a run stuffing DT after letting a decent one walk to not even get more snaps in the place hes going to. 

Just mind numbingly bad decisions

I agree. Look right there it's a hole on this ship. If we ignore it, fill it with water, will it plug itself or leak?!

• Like 3

The fact that they moved a guy in Holcomb who hasn't played the MLB position before and have Davis rushing and covering half of the time is a severe indictment of Rivera and JDR on how to properly get the personnel for a position they were played it themselves.

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

They wont be getting anyone of note if Ron isnt extended. I dont think he can get extended with another 7 ish win season

I think he gets extended almost no matter what, unless he completely loses the team. And I think the extension will happen quickly after the season, specifically so that they can try to lure in an upgrade at DC. They’ll need an image of stability to do that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

They may take too long to do what we all know they should (and I'm saying they should be blitzing Davis more he has looked good on blitzes in both games), but they have adjusted in both seasons so far and I think they will this season too. 

It would be better if we had  coaches that  made adjustments during the game, not during the bye week.

Not saying I'm giving up on RR or even JDR, but good coaching is a combo of fire and chalk.

• Like 1

We need to use jamin like Micah is being used. He’s actually a very good blitzer, which makes sense; it takes the thinking out of it and just relies on his freakish speed & strength.

The problem is that the unit as a whole just isn’t working. At all. I don’t know if firing JDR now is the answer, but if we get our doors blown off by the eagles at home then I have to think it’s on the table.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CTskin said:

We need to use jamin like Micah is being used. He’s actually a very good blitzer, which makes sense; it takes the thinking out of it and just relies on his freakish speed & strength.

The problem is that the unit as a whole just isn’t working. At all. I don’t know if firing JDR now is the answer, but if we get our doors blown off by the eagles at home then I have to think it’s on the table.

We need to shore up coverage in the secondary if we're gonna commit a LB to blitzing every play. It works for Dallas because not only is Parsons a freak, but they actually have a real good set of CBs and Safeties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

While Bostic himself stunk, at least the defense as a whole wasn't as bad when he was in.

Yes it was. Him getting injured is the catalyst that moved Collins to LBer and our D started playing well.

3 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but....Jon Bostic should be playing.   He's definitely better than Mayo and he might be a better MLB than Holcomb.

No he shouldn't and he's not remotely as good as Holcomb

6 hours ago, Conn said:

I think he gets extended almost no matter what, unless he completely loses the team. And I think the extension will happen quickly after the season, specifically so that they can try to lure in an upgrade at DC. They’ll need an image of stability to do that. 

I'd love to see a young guy, maybe even a college coach. Someone innovative. Ron trusts his coaches to call the plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes it was. Him getting injured is the catalyst that moved Collins to LBer and our D started playing well.

I'd love to see a young guy, maybe even a college coach. Someone innovative. Ron trusts his coaches to call the plays.

You think Mayo is better than Bostic?    I didn't say Bostic was a better player than Holcomb.  I said he might be a better MLB right now.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Which is exactly how we would have used him...in coverage instead of to his strengths.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have a serious man crush on Lincoln Riley, but that is not happening.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Really.  I do not see that at all.  Holcomb might be the worst LB I have ever seen play.

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We need to shore up coverage in the secondary if we're gonna commit a LB to blitzing every play. It works for Dallas because not only is Parsons a freak, but they actually have a real good set of CBs and Safeties.

Agreed.  I remember Lavar had some trouble understanding the defence, IIRC.  Then they started to use him to rush the QB specifically.  Mind you, we had a much better secondary back then.  

6 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

You think Mayo is better than Bostic?    I didn't say Bostic was a better player than Holcomb.  I said he might be a better MLB right now.   

Mayo and Bostic is a push and no, Bostic is not better than Holcomb in anyway, despite Coles rough start.

42 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I have a serious man crush on Lincoln Riley, but that is not happening.

Really.  I do not see that at all.  Holcomb might be the worst LB I have ever seen play.

I don't know enough about college football to know better, but it seems like it would be a perfect spot for a new comer to cut his teeth. 

Holcomb is not the worst LBer you've ever seen play by a long shot, Hell. remember Highway 57?

Apparently Smoot was on with Grant and Danny yesterday and he had his opinion of how to fix the Defense or at least what Gregg Williams used to do in their scheme.

1)  He called it +1 on the Dline which is having an extra guy on the line on every play

2)  Blitz Jamin Davis a lot

3)  Put St Juste outside and move Fuller in to the slot

• Like 1