Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not a slam dunk, but we exercised his 5th year option already so I'll re-evaluate at the end of 2023. 

I guess thats my point. The fact that it's uncertain.  Like there hasn't been enough tape in the 4 years prior.  If you trade up and spend a first round pick on a guy and by the 5th year aren't quite sure whether he's worth bringing back, he's probably not.  At least not at the price tag he might command on the open market.

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

The team had a couple really good backups at DT who could play, but were let go. That's on Ron and the team got gashed in the middle all-day yesteday.

The same guys who were there while we got gashed in the middle all of last year, so yeah, that was totally the problem.

Yeah I've said the same thing. It seems like all three units are being coached to do different things relative to each other and there is no synergy.

If you blitz all out, you're typically better off playing tight press man to buy your rushers an extra second or two to get to the QB. But on 3rd and long, its smarter to drop everyone back and just let them have ~10. The exception being is if they're at like around the 35 yard line, you should try to get a sack to push them out of FG range. But a sack still gives the Lions a make-able FG so its better to play safe and cover.

There is something schematically wrong with our D.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Makes me think maybe it's not the players communication issue but are the coaches by unit communicating?

That really is one of the most depressing defensive plays I’ve seen from us. And there’s been a lot of them to pick from. Fall down, get up, and I think may still have scored whilst being untouched by a defensive player. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

We run a basic defense and we know that. What we need to do better is win matchups and play with discipline. Its not like we are going to become a top 5 defense but we can still win some games. Look at how we played Philly last year. Now add an offense. We can win these games. 

If its basic and guys are still confused than something is wrong.

• Like 1

So I'm just looking at things. And I want to say this is based on us having a good offense. Yesterday we gave up 425 yards total. I went and looked up teams that gave up 425 yards last year to get a comparison. 

22 Times the losing team had 425 yards. 

68 Times the winning team had 425 yards. 

11 Times where both teams had more than 425.

That's out of a total of 285 games. I stand by what I was saying earlier about our offense pulling us to victories. 425 isn't a magic number and I could have easily said 400 or 450 but the key is that the more explosive your offense is the more likely you are to win games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Even though they were @SS cheeks in the first half, the efforts of this offense are going to be wasted by this horrendous defense. 

Thats how this team rolls. When one position is on fire’ish the other is sinking. Always an extreme. Even if O and D play well enough to win - the kicker will miss a kick or ST give up a return.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I've said the same thing. It seems like all three units are being coached to do different things relative to each other and there is no synergy.

If you blitz all out, you're typically better off playing tight press man to buy your rushers an extra second or two to get to the QB. But on 3rd and long, its smarter to drop everyone back and just let them have ~10. The exception being is if they're at like around the 35 yard line, you should try to get a sack to push them out of FG range. But a sack still gives the Lions a make-able FG so its better to play safe and cover.

There is something schematically wrong with our D.

Maybe this whole 2 linebacker, Buffalo nickel defense is garbage? I don't know squat about defensive schemes but I know our corners had to make all the tackles in the 1st half yesterday as guys like Craig Reynolds were getting to the 3rd level. We need to bring in someone else just to see if it's the players or the coaching/scheme. 

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Against the Pass we are 15 but ranked last against the run at 7.5 YPC. :(

Fix the run D somehow. Get it to top 10 and we can have a winning season easily. Don't know how JDR can do this but if his job is on the line he has to. No excuses. 

The season begins next week vs Philly....the division games show us how good we are. I'd love to be sitting in on the defensive film session this week...If JDR doesn't think this group can get it done then he'd better make it known to RR. Sounds like he's already convinced that Davis doesn't have what it takes by calling him out.

• Like 1