Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I see the same thing...

@Warhead36 you'll get no debate from me on Cousins being a franchise QB that will set our ass on fire as well...

I gotta say though, the way this D is playing the caliber of QB required to tear us up only has to clear a threshold—Mills will go wild, Hurts will go off, Mariota/Ridder will have their top game of the season and Pitts will go off even though he’s been disappointing with Mariota running their offense so far, etc. 

Edited by Conn

@Conn true, but I can see those games in high 20s or even 30s.

If we played any of those young QBs in the AFC, we're talkin 40-50 points easy, well out of reach of even our offense.

Man... Herbert, Carr, Burrow, Mahomes, maybe even Watson if he gets back to form...AFC fittin to dominate the NFC for next decade and they don't even know it yet...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We HAVE to have the worst collection of LB's in the league....sign any vet who's available this week and start them next week. 

Yep. And this should not be the case for a team with former NFL LBs as the HC and DC. They knew it was a problem last year. Knew it was an issue that should have been addressed in the offseason, and they completely ignored the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jamin Davis’ strength seems to be rushing the passer. I think he should be used for this more than anything else. 

11 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Yep. And this should not be the case for a team with former NFL LBs as the HC and DC. They knew it was a problem last year. Knew it was an issue that should have been addressed in the offseason, and they completely ignored the problem. 

Hubris is the downfall of man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CobraCommander said:

Jamin Davis’ strength seems to be rushing the passer. I think he should be used for this more than anything else. 

Yeah, he does pop on that.  I'm giving Jamin a pass.  What LB could succeed with JDR?  Holcomb is just a JAG.   To bad we have nothing else to play instead.  Next year, o-line needs to be the first round pick (strengthen our explosive pass offense), and then after that, all defense.

1 minute ago, BraveWarrior said:

Don't look now, guys. Dallas' Micah Parsons is better than anyone on our defense. And it's not only because of athletic ability. Their team seems to know what they need to do with him based on his skills, and they gameplan for that and put him in the best position to effect the game.

Parsons is a freak of nature. He's a LB that runs like a 4.3 40 and he has experience playing Edge before playing LB. If his last year at Penn State wasn't basically eliminated because of Covid he'd have been a top 3-5 pick.

21 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Tremendous point.....makes no sense that we've not addressed this issue. 

Watching our defense is like watching 3 different units, dl, lb, db, running 3 different schemes simultaneously.  It’s like the groups never sit in a film room or practice together.  

Nothing defensively is in sync.  We’re not disrupting.  We’re not aggressive.  We’re not penetrating.  There is no unit right now.  The defense is totally floundering and injuries are beginning to add up.

How does this get fixed?….chase won’t be the answer.  Another linebacker isn’t walking thru the door this year.  Our thin dl took some lumps today (did Allen even play?).  The only saving grace for the dbs will ultimately be a defense that relentlessly pressures the qb.  we are absolutely not doing that right now even though we have the individual ability to do so.  That’s coaching.  

JDRs stubborn approach to defensive scheme has failed the individual talent on the defense.  He doesn’t call a game to our strengths.  He calls a game hoping the other teams offense stumbles and fumbles their way thru a game.  He doesn’t coach aggression.  He doesn’t coach cohesion.  And he certainly doesn’t tailor his scheme around the talent.  

RR has to fire his buddy.  Then he needs to set a fire underneath the defense.  RR should be calling the entire D to the carpet tomorrow and tell them it’s time to do it different.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

I am not even going to blame the coaches, this D has no talent, zilch, zero much less difference makers. We have a B-level DT and thats it! Period guys and Girls! The LBs are non-existence. Sweat, what happened to this guy. Jackson isnt a starting caliber CB. Fuller is an average slot CB playing outside. St Juste is average and safeties are average. There just plain and simple is no talent out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It’s time to fire JDR, doesn’t get his players in position to win… wasting all of our high picks on the D Line. At least I hope it’s a scheme issue or we have bigger problems 

i doubt jack has enough pull to get his way with 1st rounders year after year. problem with our d is whats been the problem for years. linebacker play

Edited by dunfer

21 minutes ago, TChaler70 said:

I am not even going to blame the coaches, this D has no talent, zilch, zero much less difference makers. We have a B-level DT and thats it! Period guys and Girls! The LBs are non-existence. Sweat, what happened to this guy. Jackson isnt a starting caliber CB. Fuller is an average slot CB playing outside. St Juste is average and safeties are average. There just plain and simple is no talent out there.

average, even below average, should not be giving up these results to non-elite QBs so consistently. The whole thing is broken and it’s not just the talent or lack-thereof 

Rivera needs to realize that he doesn’t need to throw his guys under the bus in order to show the fans that he gets it and he feels the urgency we want him to feel. He’s failing big time in communicating through the media right now. The easiest way to do it, if I were feeding him lines, would be to just take the blame himself and be mad about it. Instead he gets defensive (first time I’ve really seen that from him) and says if you’re going to blame someone, blame all of them because they’re all in this together—the coaches have to put them in a position to succeed, and the players need to execute. It just comes across as empty, worthless, and unaware coach speak when people want to know that they know that this issue requires changes and urgency. 

It’s similar to how last year he was so blasé about the persistent communication issues in the secondary, and the DL’s apparent refusal to do what they’re told within the scheme. Just totally unconcerned and willing to see if it fixes itself with more time. And that enrages fans. No matter what you actually think behind closed doors, take responsibility and communicate that there is an urgency to get things fixed. It’s 101 stuff.

Ideally he’d actually FEEL the urgency, too. And maybe secretly he does. But damn that was a hard presser to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

Watching our defense is like watching 3 different units, dl, lb, db, running 3 different schemes simultaneously.  It’s like the groups never sit in a film room or practice together.  

Nothing defensively is in sync.  We’re not disrupting.  We’re not aggressive.  We’re not penetrating.  There is no unit right now.  The defense is totally floundering and injuries are beginning to add up.

How does this get fixed?….chase won’t be the answer.  Another linebacker isn’t walking thru the door this year.  Our thin dl took some lumps today (did Allen even play?).  The only saving grace for the dbs will ultimately be a defense that relentlessly pressures the qb.  we are absolutely not doing that right now even though we have the individual ability to do so.  That’s coaching.  

JDRs stubborn approach to defensive scheme has failed the individual talent on the defense.  He doesn’t call a game to our strengths.  He calls a game hoping the other teams offense stumbles and fumbles their way thru a game.  He doesn’t coach aggression.  He doesn’t coach cohesion.  And he certainly doesn’t tailor his scheme around the talent.  

RR has to fire his buddy.  Then he needs to set a fire underneath the defense.  RR should be calling the entire D to the carpet tomorrow and tell them it’s time to do it different.

That's what I've noticed as well, going back to last year. Its like each unit is being coached to do something different. There is no synergy. I don't know if its a Del Rio issue or a position coach issue. We got rid of the DL coach. I'm not gonna blame the LB coach because there just isn't enough talent there. Everyone raves about the DB Coach Chris Harris but the secondary stinks. So yeah...I don't know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

what a fantastic post!  All of it is true and hard to watch live. JDR failed as a head coach and he’s failed repeatedly as a coordinator. The defense has already quit on him. They know they aren’t being put in a position to succeed. This team needs a new coaching staff badly at this point. 

• Like 1

We have one takeaway through two games and it was just a give away duck by Lawrence that literally even any one of us could have caught. We haven't even come close to really forcing takeaways either. No sack fumbles or near picks or anything. Nobody is really in a position to make a play.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

We have one takeaway through two games and it was just a give away duck by Lawrence that literally even any one of us could have caught. We haven't even come close to really forcing takeaways either. No sack fumbles or near picks or anything. Nobody is really in a position to make a play.

There have been a couple dropped “diving” INT’s that weren’t really that hard and should have been turnovers, but were just pbu’s instead