Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

Not accurate. Allen is signed thru 2025. Youngs option year is thru 2024. My point is that we can’t put all that money into 4 defensive lineman. 

Ohh didn't realize Allen's contract doesn't kick in until after the 5th year option.

As far as not putting it all into DL, I can understand the sentiment but at the end of the day if you have good players you gotta find a way to keep em. The cap is only gonna skyrocket more and more with new TV deals and the gambling money coming in etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

You can’t just say we need to resign Payne as signing him is an implication on who stays and goes on the entire defensive line. We need to plan ahead. 

We have to decide on the option year for Sweat at the end of next year. Usually that decision comes earlier before the end of the 4th year. 

Yes, we have Sweat next year regardless. If you want to have that conversation, I'll see you in a year.

Right now, there is zero chance that Payne is not resigned or extended. He's really good and pairs perfectly with Allen. 

I started bringing up trading Sweat last year as a separate issue and got hammered for it. I'd still consider trading him next season. 

A few weeks back on The Junkies, EB  (surmised he gets his info from JP Finlay) said John Allen's agent really did not want him to sign the extension deal, that he thought they could get more.  Allen said he wanted to stay because of the area and coaches. 

I wonder if Payne feels the same and would accept something more team friendly?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes, we have Sweat next year regardless. If you want to have that conversation, I'll see you in a year.

Right now, there is zero chance that Payne is not resigned or extended. He's really good and pairs perfectly with Allen. 

I started bringing up trading Sweat last year as a separate issue and got hammered for it. I'd still consider trading him next season. 

Yeah, I was into the idea of trading Sweat in the context of landing a qb, but now I’m more loathe to trade away significant resources to try to land a guy (and I’m really curious to see how Montez plays with an improved secondary).  See what the offseason brings, see how Sweat (and Young) performs next year and go from there.  Either way… extend Payne - our DTs are the strength of our D.

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

A few weeks back on The Junkies, EB  (surmised he gets his info from JP Finlay) said John Allen's agent really did not want him to sign the extension deal, that he thought they could get more.  Allen said he wanted to stay because of the area and coaches. 

Man, I love Allen.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Our defense has been so much better on 3rd down. We had been awful the last couple years. The one thing I noticed during our streak is that we aren’t necessarily getting lots of sacks but we have good pressure up the middle with Allen Payne and Ionandis. Our ends help contain the qb by keeping their rush lanes honest forcing the qb to throw from the pocket, on their back foot or rushing throws causing errant throws. 

Sweat and Young would freelance too much which would allow wide open free lanes for the qb to get outside the pocket or open lanes to make throws. The next coming weeks will be interesting with mobile qbs in Dak and Hurts. If we force these guys to throw from a tight pocket, we should continue to play well on defense. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Allen got a good deal here. I doubt he gets that much more in FA to the extent that it'd be worth the risk(injury or otherwise).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If a team offers a 2nd for Sweat I might just take it. Nobody will offer a 1st.

I'd take a second in a heartbeat for Sweat the second we can. 

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

We better put in a waiver claim for LB Zach Cunningham immediately

Absolutely!!

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sweat tested positive for COVID. He's out this Sunday since he's unvaccinated.

Freaking idiot.

Unless I don't know the rules, can someone who is vaccinated that tests positive still play depending on how long until the game?  I haven't followed the COVID rules.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd take a second in a heartbeat for Sweat the second we can. 

Absolutely!!

Why? 

Still have him at a bargain for next season. The year to do it would be next off season if they chose not to move forward with an extension.

I vote to keep all freaks on the roster and let others roll as they please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Why? 

Still have him at a bargain for next season. The year to do it would be next off season if they chose not to move forward with an extension.

I vote to keep all freaks on the roster and let others roll as they please. 

Because he's selfish and immature. The Sweat Chase duo breeds drama and needs to be broken up and still being on his rookie deal creates a lot of value for us. 

• Thumb down 1

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because he's selfish and immature. The Sweat Chase duo breeds drama and needs to be broken up and still being on his rookie deal creates a lot of value for us. 

Selfish and immature? I get the connections you’re drawing, but disagree. 

In my view, he’s been a good pro/productive, takes care of himself physically, well-liked in the locker room, has improved his craft each season, and not been aN issue off the field. All while on a rookie deal. Arrow continues to be up on Sweat. 

Keep the freaks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

In my view, he’s been a good pro/productive, takes care of himself physically, well-liked in the locker room, has improved his craft each season, and not been aN issue off the field. All while on a rookie deal. Arrow continues to be up on Sweat. 

Keep the freaks!

Enjoy his maturity this Sunday while he helps his teammates with his productivity Sunday and get back to me.

Do you remember Ron talking about certain players being ****ing assholes and immature for not being vaccinated and putting the team and him at risk? Well, ta-da.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Keep the freaks!

Agreed. Not sure how an airborne virus infecting someone is selfish.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1